Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/pro-tour-copycat/

Ehh this about sums up why Copycat sucks and should have been banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I would rather play Skullcrack than this. It's SUCH a miserable topdeck for a wack deck.

While this is true going topdeck mode against ad naus isn't where you want to be with 8 wack. The goal was offer some cheap help for the matchup in mono red, which is really hard to come by.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tales of Woe posted:

This is certainly true, but as someone who rarely bitches about Standard, this past season was the least fun I've had in the 8 years I've been playing the format. Cawblade standard was more diverse.

I don't think diversity is the hallmark of a good standard format. It's more how much fun and interactive the games are. For example, in fetchland standard, every deck was either Abzan Goodstuff or Black Jeskai goodstuff but the games were alot of fun with interesting decision points.

Sickening posted:

While this is true going topdeck mode against ad naus isn't where you want to be with 8 wack. The goal was offer some cheap help for the matchup in mono red, which is really hard to come by.

Doesn't 8 Wacks want to drop it's hand by like T3 the latest?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't think diversity is the hallmark of a good standard format. It's more how much fun and interactive the games are. For example, in fetchland standard, every deck was either Abzan Goodstuff or Black Jeskai goodstuff but the games were alot of fun with interesting decision points.

Doesn't 8 Wacks want to drop it's hand by like T3 the latest?

Yes, and it also wants to win by that time or close to it. With limited options I would prefer to curve out with creatures and force my opponent to have lots of angel graces. I feel like playing a spell for free turn 0 and invalidating their sideboard options is better than trying to fit spells that make my curve janky. At least skullcrack in addition to leyline.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 26, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Yes, and it also wants to win by that time or close to it. With limited options I would prefer to curve out with creatures and force my opponent to have lots of angel graces.

So if you draw the leyline to begin the game, you're down a card which is not trivial at all for a goldfish matchup or you risk topdecking it which is probably even worse...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

So if you draw the leyline to begin the game, you're down a card which is not trivial at all for a goldfish matchup or you risk topdecking it which is probably even worse...

You do understand that this is kind of an all in deck right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think hearthstone's recent standard showcases the diversity/interactivity tension, where you had a number of deck archetypes viable but the format still sucked because it was about who could curve out the hardest

Even with Copycat banned that's a lot of what Mardu has been about

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 26, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Saw a GR aggro list a handful of pages back and dug it so I thought I'd post the version I wanna take to gameday next week:

4 Insolent Neonate
4 Noose Constrictor
4 Bloodrage Brawler
4 Hazoret
4 Rhonas
3 Honored Hydra
2 Goldnight Castigator

4 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
3 Insult//Injury

7 Mountain
6 Forest
3 Cinder Glade
4 Game Trail
4 Drownyard Temple

Insult//Injury just seems like a filthy wincon, but 3 may be too many, and also I may have 2 too many lands. SB is a mix of Shock for Saheeli, Natural State for vehicles, Magma Spray for zombies.

Wondering if there's some more good Madness options that I've not thought of to take advantage of all the discarding.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Game Day isn't for another month, fyi.

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/event/game-day-amonkhet

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ah okay. Well, that gives me some time to get some games in.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
If I have a bunch of singles to sell, mostly from STD format cards, what's the best outlet for me to sell them through?

I'm fine with the tcgplayer.com low prices, or whatever I need to get rid of them for. My goal is to just sell the STD cards I don't use so that I can get some cash to buy the ones I need. I would be fine with trading them as well. I do know about the SA-mart MTG thread, so I'll check that out first. But I'm looking for what alternatives people use for selling/trading singles here as well?
Thanks for the help.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sickening posted:

Its just a hard matchup. Your opponents fog cards kind of wreck you. Through some leyline of punishment in your sideboard as a 4 of. Its fun and it might help in these situations.

Its also useful in other matchups but the main point its unexpected and fun, which is the point of your deck.

Leyline was on my radar as a possibility, the only hangup being I don't own any. I guess I could run Skullcracks short term till I run into someone with a bunch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Leyline was on my radar as a possibility, the only hangup being I don't own any. I guess I could run Skullcracks short term till I run into someone with a bunch.

Its cheap as a playset will only run you about 10 bucks shipped on tcgplayer (if you live in the states).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Subways Jared posted:

If I have a bunch of singles to sell, mostly from STD format cards, what's the best outlet for me to sell them through?

I'm fine with the tcgplayer.com low prices, or whatever I need to get rid of them for. My goal is to just sell the STD cards I don't use so that I can get some cash to buy the ones I need. I would be fine with trading them as well. I do know about the SA-mart MTG thread, so I'll check that out first. But I'm looking for what alternatives people use for selling/trading singles here as well?
Thanks for the help.

Tcgplayer.com is fine and I actually use it too. The problem is that you are constantly going to have to update prices to get things to move and you are also going to lose a decent % in fees and shipping costs. You are also going to have to deal with being really picky in your card condition grading on tcgplayer or you are going to have complaints from your customers which is going to really affect your store status. Tcgplayer just requires the most effort.

Too bad pucatrade hosed everything up because that was such a great option while it lasted.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sickening posted:

Too bad pucatrade hosed everything up because that was such a great option while it lasted.

What happened there, anyway? I stopped playing for maybe 9 months and when I came back apparently Pucatrade started being completely worthless. Was it just the point inflation thing people were worried about early on? Because prices look somewhat reasonable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boxman posted:

What happened there, anyway? I stopped playing for maybe 9 months and when I came back apparently Pucatrade started being completely worthless. Was it just the point inflation thing people were worried about early on? Because prices look somewhat reasonable.

Inflation and bounties. They just couldn't find a way to balance the economy while making money. Once the free user experience went to poo poo it was destined to go this way.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Exploratory design ie basically brainstorming, the previous block probably wasn't even in development at that point

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Boxman posted:

You currently need to be an 'active trader' for your wants to show up to other users, and what an 'active trader' is hasn't been defined but you have to send out a number of cards to other users. This is colossally stupid. Someone like me who wants large numbers of lovely bulk commons and is willing to send out a few high priced EDH junk is the perfect person for the Pucatrade market, and the entire site is worthless because even if I sent out a few cards, no one can see the stuff I want.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Sickening posted:

Tcgplayer.com is fine and I actually use it too. The problem is that you are constantly going to have to update prices to get things to move and you are also going to lose a decent % in fees and shipping costs. You are also going to have to deal with being really picky in your card condition grading on tcgplayer or you are going to have complaints from your customers which is going to really affect your store status. Tcgplayer just requires the most effort.

TCGplayer, or the SAmart thread, either way you're coming out ahead of your LGS though, right? I mean even if we assume my LGS gives decent prices on trades, you're still losing a way bigger chunk of a card's value than you would, say, on TCG fees and shipping, right?

Otherwise I would just schlep it on down to my LGS and give them a list and offer up my cards for trade. But my understanding is that even with the best of LGS prices, they're going to give you the worst value of the options between online vs. LGS for selling/trading cards.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 26, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Subways Jared posted:

Thanks for the help.

Deckbox.org lets you list cards in a "tradelist" and a "wishlist" and then will automatically match people who have tradelisted your wishlist cards and wishlisted your tradelist cards, and present you a set of opportunities to trade in bulk. This is a good way to swap cards for basically even market value, but it's dependent on finding matches so be prepared to have a bunch of extra cards sitting around. That said, this is a great first place to start before moving on to:

Buylisting is always an option. Obviously you're going to take a loss on the market-value of your cards, but it's the fastest way to turn them over. Check your LGS for their list and buy-policies, often they'll have like a 20-30% bonus on buy offers if you take payment in store credit. If you want to trade into different cards, that bonus can make a big difference in recouping the most value for your cards while still letting you turn them over quickly.

Then there is the new TCGPlayer buylist, which I just tried for the first time and found to be quite good. You put in all your cards, and they give you the best buy price for each card from every store that syncs their list with them. Then you mail all the cards to TCGPlayer, they grade/sort them, and pay you, and then presumably they mail the cards in batches to the destination stores.

Finally, you can list cards individually for sale on TCGPlayer or ebay. This can take a while, depending on how aggressively you price your cards to move and will result in you paying lots of hidden costs, like the time and expense of packing your cards into small-batch shipments (gently caress assholes who insist on bubble mailers with tracking for $20 worth of cards), plus fees from the sites themselves.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 26, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Boxman posted:

Sickening posted:

Inflation and bounties. They just couldn't find a way to balance the economy while making money. Once the free user experience went to poo poo it was destined to go this way.

Prices are the same so it's not exactly inflation, but it's got the same issue that trading irl dies. Just because tcgmid says that these 30 cards combined are the same value as a snapcaster, nobody would actually take that trade. People started having to offer bounties to actually get expensive staples.

The economic issues were going to kill it eventually, but the site redesign really sped things up. People gave them a ton of kickstarter money, but the site revamp came out broken and behind schedule. The site was just down for a while while they fixed stuff and combined with unease about the sites economy people just didn't come back. The new site is awful, they took a clean and functional design and replaced it with a shiny over-engineered mess. Websites shouldn't have loading times. Ever since the redesign,I've only received commons for pauper and basic lands. I'm stuck with 30$ (theoretically) worth of points but managed to build a couple cheap modern decks through the site before the bubble burst.

A friend of mine does a lot of trading on the Discord channel for Pucatrade. No actual points, just card for card but it's pretty active.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Subways Jared posted:

TCGplayer, or the SAmart thread, either way you're coming out ahead of your LGS though, right? I mean even if we assume my LGS gives decent prices on trades, you're still losing a way bigger chunk of a card's value than you would, say, on TCG fees and shipping, right?

Otherwise I would just schlep it on down to my LGS and give them a list and offer up my cards for trade. But my understanding is that even with the best of LGS prices, they're going to give you the worst value of the options between online vs. LGS for selling/trading cards.

Yes. Its basically you are deciding between better margins or more work.

The only extra standard stuff I ever have is what I open in prize packs. I honestly try to sell the packs instead of popping them if I can. Its generally a much better return after the first 2 weeks of a season.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

You currently need to be an 'active trader' for your wants to show up to other users, and what an 'active trader' is hasn't been defined but you have to send out a number of cards to other users. This is colossally stupid. Someone like me who wants large numbers of lovely bulk commons and is willing to send out a few high priced EDH junk is the perfect person for the Pucatrade market, and the entire site is worthless because even if I sent out a few cards, no one can see the stuff I want.

so if you've got a bunch of points tied up in the site, the only way to use them is to send out more cards to people

very cool

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Deckbox owns, some people have various complaints about but I don't think I would have gotten back into Magic when I did if I didn't have it for listing out my collection and decklists, and also for finding people for trading.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

C-Euro posted:

Deckbox owns, some people have various complaints about but I don't think I would have gotten back into Magic when I did if I didn't have it for listing out my collection and decklists, and also for finding people for trading.

The only complaint I have about trading on deckbox is sometimes I'll be making a trade where I'm sending 3 cards with a total value of like $20-25 and the recipient wants me to pack them in a bubble mailer with tracking. gently caress those people, but otherwise it's been a good experience, and usually the first place I look to dump my draft leftovers before buylisting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For those who care (you might not), this week's story is pretty bad. :negative:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

makes a good case for Nissa being blue, though

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

Eh, I liked. It wasn't fun as the previous one, but it was good enough. There is also some nice character development.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Calling it two decks is a little misleading. There was no agreed upon way to build the four color decks, almost every slot was flexible, you could be more aggro more controlling, and you never really knew what you were playing against. That's seems almost unprecedented now. And you're forgetting about Rally.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The content's okay, but... I dunno, the style is super amateurish compared to anyone else in the story team. I wish I knew how to explain this better, but this reads like a fanfic more than any other Magic story I've read.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So new Nissa in Bant EldraI or no?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
That story on the website reads like it was written by some 19 year old writing fan fiction.

I can't believe that actually publish that poo poo as canon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

The content's okay, but... I dunno, the style is super amateurish compared to anyone else in the story team. I wish I knew how to explain this better, but this reads like a fanfic more than any other Magic story I've read.

Jace gets hit on by an eldritch horror and you dare to call this the most fanficy story

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
20 years from now, if MTG is still around, i will still be reminding people that jace wanted to gently caress a cosmic horror

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

Yeah, this was my read on it as well.

"It's OK content delivered in the most amateurish way possible," Nissa screamed. She had long since given up on non-screaming forms of communication.

mandatory lesbian posted:

20 years from now, if MTG is still around, i will still be reminding people that jace wanted to gently caress a cosmic horror

lmao if you don't want to do this

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

That story on the website reads like it was written by some 19 year old writing fan fiction.

I can't believe that actually publish that poo poo as canon

It's the guy that wrote the first Shadows over Innistrad story.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hell,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Calling it two decks is a little misleading. There was no agreed upon way to build the four color decks, almost every slot was flexible, you could be more aggro more controlling, and you never really knew what you were playing against. That's seems almost unprecedented now. And you're forgetting about Rally.

Yes but Rally didn't really get going till very late in the format.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
tbf like half of lovecrafts horrors are explicitly or implicitly metaphors for sexuality bc he was v spooked by the very idea

much like jace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Balon posted:

So new Nissa in Bant EldraI or no?

Probably not. Eldrazi isn't a deck that wants a trickle of value over a lot of turns, you want to disrupt the opponent a bit and then throw your big aliens at them.