Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I flush mine down the toilet wtf why do you have your turds hang out in your house

Way to clog your septic system with litter, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Way to clog your septic system with litter, idiot.

I rent, so it's not my septic system :smug:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pick posted:

u suck

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is also toilet safe litter.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People are going to laugh, but I just trained my cats to use the toilet directly, and honestly, it saved me a lot of money.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife's grandparents once served her and her sisters Pear for dinner. They had the other pear. Plenty for everyone!

This might be more of a dementia story.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What is Pear(tm)?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

They don't have access to tiny little hidden cat labs where they make bioweapons.

just lol if you haven't set up a tiny little hidden cat lab in which your cats can run off counterfeit twenties for about half an hour a week

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
If she doesn't pay on the date, I probably won't go on the date.

I'm a dude.

Checkmate, atheists.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

When I was a little I used to play with the kid from just across the street, a little older. Once at a fair our parents gave us each $20 to spend. He suggested that we spend my $20 first and then his.
After we'd spent all my money I asked him what he wanted to do next. He said a little nervously that actually he was of thinking of saving the rest of the money. Then he ran off.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Volcott posted:

What is Pear(tm)?

Dig in!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
one time at a 4th of July bbq an ex co-worker of my so served everyone hot dogs they had dumpster dove for but didn't tell anyone until they had already eaten them.

"Dumpster dog" isn't even her most offensive nickname

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We brought dumpster dived pies to the church potluck.
They weren't actually in a dumpster, they were on a rack in the back alley with other best-before-yesterday pies.

The bagels were in a dumpster of all bagels. I kept them in the freezer just in case.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay let's up the stakes in this thread. Food hoarders: what's the food with the oldest useby date currently in your pantry?

I've got some cheese in the freezer with a useby date of 2015 (left by a previous housemate, current housemate called dibs on it even though he never cooks and doesn't use cheese for anything) but I bet someone here has some food from last century. I bet people with elderly hoarder relatives have stories about even older food which they refuse to throw away.

There was a can of soup in the cabinet at work with a best-by date of 2007. I was sad when someone finally threw it away last year.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Rent?! Jesus, you might was well wrap those cat turds in $100 bills before you flush them. Haven't you heard of a little thing called "equity"? :smug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Who What Now posted:

Rent?! Jesus, you might was well wrap those cat turds in $100 bills before you flush them. Haven't you heard of a little thing called "equity"? :smug:

She's building equity in her hoard of YSL jackets.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oscar de la Rental

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

It's not worth it if you're not sure you intend to stay somewhere.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

It's not worth it if you're not sure you intend to stay somewhere.

I wonder how much of "millennials don't buy houses" is job market uncertainty instead of brokeness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

I wonder how much of "millennials don't buy houses" is job market uncertainty instead of brokeness.

I've seen family members with great jobs have to move after like 18 months because the company moved premises and etc., at which point you haven't earned enough in equity to cover closing costs and etc. associated with transfer of home ownership.

Also had a friend who worked for Cabela's, which was based out of a small Nebraska town. Now that they've been bought by Bass Pro she's probably going to lose her job, along with everyone else in that tiny Nebraska town. She's still paying on a house there which, if the Cabela's jobs leave, is now almost literally valueless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of building equity here's a good cheap idiot story.

So many people are cheap when it comes to insurance and it's not something you want to cheap out on. This lady in a condo building I did some work on had a ground floor unit. She decided to "save money" by only getting the most minimal insurance she legally had to. Her unit got flooded and she had to pay a fortune to fix it all out of pocket. After all that she decided lightning couldn't strike twice and kept on not having insurance, also saying that after having to fix everything out of pocket she needed to rebuild her savings by being cheap. About 6 years later she got flooded again, no insurance again.

Don't loving cheap out on insurance and actually get the correct policy for the risks you need to protect against. Also don't cry about greedy insurance companies all being a scam when you specifically opted to cheap out and not get overland flooding coverage and then you get flooded that way. You get the protections you pay for, you cheap out and you probably get nothing.

Also if you rent get loving tenants insurance and contents. Holy poo poo it's not expensive but every time there's some big apartment fire or flooding and people "lose everything" it's always people who decided to cheap out and not get contents on their insurance.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 26, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of building equity here's a good cheap idiot story.

So many people are cheap when it comes to insurance and it's not something you want to cheap out on. This lady in a condo building I did some work on had a ground floor unit. She decided to "save money" by only getting the most minimal insurance she legally had to. Her unit got flooded and she had to pay a fortune to fix it all out of pocket. After all that she decided lightning couldn't strike twice and kept on not having insurance, also saying that after having to fix everything out of pocket she needed to rebuild her savings by being cheap. About 6 years later she got flooded again, no insurance again.

Don't loving cheap out on insurance and actually get the correct policy for the risks you need to protect against. Also don't cry about greedy insurance companies all being a scam when you specifically opted to cheap out and not get overland flooding coverage and then you get flooded that way. You get the protections you pay for, you cheap out and you probably get nothing.

"Do you want no fault car insurance?"
"No, I want extremely at fault and negligent insurance. The most at fault you can be kind of insurance."

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I've seen family members with great jobs have to move after like 18 months because the company moved premises and etc., at which point you haven't earned enough in equity to cover closing costs and etc. associated with transfer of home ownership.

Also had a friend who worked for Cabela's, which was based out of a small Nebraska town. Now that they've been bought by Bass Pro she's probably going to lose her job, along with everyone else in that tiny Nebraska town. She's still paying on a house there which, if the Cabela's jobs leave, is now almost literally valueless.

What a nightmare, I live in a tech city and I kind of want the bubble to pop so a shack isn't 750k, but I can't imagine living in a literally one-company town.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Pastry of the Year posted:

just lol if you haven't set up a tiny little hidden cat lab in which your cats can run off counterfeit twenties for about half an hour a week

my nephew told me the other day that cats have an international phone system called "the mewphone", it is currently just out of prototype phase and that my one cat hates the other cat because she tweeted something mean about him on mewphone v. 1.0 and he never got over it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Radical and BADical! posted:

my nephew told me the other day that cats have an international phone system called "the mewphone", it is currently just out of prototype phase and that my one cat hates the other cat because she tweeted something mean about him on mewphone v. 1.0 and he never got over it

Your nephew owns.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pick posted:

That said, I'm watching a bit of the Extreme Cheapskate show and these people don't seem half as annoying or unreasonable as the extreme couponers :shrug:.

I remember reading something about TLC stirring up a bit of controversy with their Extreme Couponing series. Apparently, some of the earlier episodes showed people engaging in outright fraud:

http://jillcataldo.com/alleged-tlc-extreme-couponing-fraud/

For what it's worth, I've also heard that you can purchase software over the dark web for forging coupons - apparently, coupon UPC codes are still based on a system dating back to when supermarkets weren't paying much attention to cyber-security.

Baronjutter posted:

My grandpa was a cleaning guy at a hospital and was fairly senior so was in charge of doing the OR's. Every week or so he would take home BUCKETS of human blood. I mean it's free blood right??
It made fantastic fertilizer for his tomatoes. Why buy fertilizer when you have free blood?

Wouldn't that violate all kinds of laws regarding medical waste disposal?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cockmaster posted:

I remember reading something about TLC stirring up a bit of controversy with their Extreme Couponing series. Apparently, some of the earlier episodes showed people engaging in outright fraud:

For what it's worth, I've also heard that you can purchase software over the dark web for forging coupons - apparently, coupon UPC codes are still based on a system dating back to when supermarkets weren't paying much attention to cyber-security.

Wouldn't that violate all kinds of laws regarding medical waste disposal?

It's just human blood, it was also the 50's.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Baronjutter posted:

It's just human blood, it was also the 50's.

Didn't have to worry about giving your tomatoes GRIDs back then.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cockmaster posted:

This burns my rear end because yeah, it's just... it's just crime. And apparently people still came to her defense,

quote:

“Gabby Paige – I don’t even get why people are bothered by this??!! It does NOT affect YOU or any one else for that matter it doesn’t take money or food out of any ones pocket whooooo carrrreessssss everything is so dam n expensive these days any way!”

Things are too expensive! Ergo steal them!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

UPDATE: On May 11th, Jamie Kirlew admitted to the Wall Street Journal that she did use coupons in a fraudulent manner on the show:

You matched barcodes, as long as they worked, rather than products, right?

Yes.

Do you believe that was the right thing to do?

Yes, I believe that I have done nothing wrong. I’ve even had managers take my purchase and check me out. They’ve told me, “If the coupon goes through at my register, I’m getting reimbursed for it.” I have never been approached by anyone in authority telling me to do something different.

Will you change your methods now that manufacturers are changing the barcode system?

I do not intend to change my shopping habits unless or until the code changes…

What do you want from this interview?

I want to stop being the Scapegoat. I used a Buddig Deli cut for a 12/16 ounce packet for a 2 ounce packet because the numbers matched. The coupons went through at the register and I did not have any problem.

I want to punch this woman right where it hurts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yes I commited fraud for deli meat, and yes Id do it again. I have no sense of scale or right and wrong and Ill be damned if you all keep scapegoating me as a "person with vacant morals"

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
what do they do with all the loving deli meatssss

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Elsa posted:

what do they do with all the loving deli meatssss

most gaze upon the vast riches accumulated through their incredible cunning, i think?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Lollerich posted:

People selling donated food and throwing away unwanted food. Please try to guess their nationality before clicking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQdaDoqXsE

i'm pretty sure the "Chinese" people in SF are actually from outer space rather than China. I once watched them hack the heads off like 40 live chickens in an alley while the Chinatown bus was getting it's power-girdle put back on the lines. I'm pretty sure they'd raised the chickens in an apartment or on a roof.

I also saw a homeless guy get into a fight with the Chinese free-food seller ladies because he was really pissed they'd do that. He waltzed right in, bagged up a bunch of cans and bread and fought them off when they tried to stop them. It was rad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Growing up, I was bffs with a girl whose parents and siblings were from mainland China. When her grandmother came to visit them, she saw the ducks in the park and asked who the ducks belonged to. Someone told her "they don't belong to anyone." So the grandmother walked back out there and grabbed a bunch of ducks and slaughtered them in the park and brought them home and cooked them. lifehacks.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Growing up, I was bffs with a girl whose parents and siblings were from mainland China. When her grandmother came to visit them, she saw the ducks in the park and asked who the ducks belonged to. Someone told her "they don't belong to anyone." So the grandmother walked back out there and grabbed a bunch of ducks and slaughtered them in the park and brought them home and cooked them. lifehacks.

I'm assuming her name roughly translated to 小猎犬男孩

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
鸭狩猎游戏 champion

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Your nephew owns.

i laughed my rear end off. mewphone v. 2.0 also has actual phone numbers, mewphone 1 was just a kind of party line, that's why the one cat is so mad because every cat in the world heard the mean remarks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Radical and BADical! posted:

i laughed my rear end off. mewphone v. 2.0 also has actual phone numbers, mewphone 1 was just a kind of party line, that's why the one cat is so mad because every cat in the world heard the mean remarks

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo
For my friends birthday I gave him a burnt DVD of an anime we were both really into so he could draw the disk art and give it back to me.

• Locked thread