Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...Hasbro Interzetive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just got my 1chip SNES mini from Monitor Burn. The sharpness and picture quality is not an exaggeration compared to my old PAL model, the blurriness is gone and everything is much clearer. Totally worth it.

e: I didn't know :rgb: was a thing

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 25, 2017

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm at the end of my wits with my Retropie. I had a very basic setup for NES and SNES games where I just had a scanline overlay, no shaders, and I was quite happy with how it looked. Then I updated the Retropie to the latest version and my overlays are gone, as in, the .cfg and .png files aren't even in the directory anymore. A fresh install (to a different MicroSD) confirmed that the overlays folder is empty by default. A bit of googling pointed me to this GitHub with overlay files, which look like the ones the Pie had before - I placed them in the right directory, made sure to enable and select overlays in the config files, but still nothing. Anyone know what might be going on there?

I officially spend far more time loving around with this thing than ever playing games on it. I suspect that's the true main mode of interaction.

It is with me. 2 hours of configuring and messing with it, 30 minutes of playing if I make myself play. I enjoy the tinkering as much as playing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Allen Wren posted:

...Hasbro Interzetive?

Goons can't read handwriting. News at 11

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Star Man posted:

Hasbro Inter7etive?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Who is this Monitor Burn? I can't get anything by Googling

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
...a poster in this thread

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700837

I've gotten an SNES mini and AV Famicom from him. Both have been excellent.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

:rgb:

I also have a console modding thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813846

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 25, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gorgolflox posted:

Hasbro Inter7etive?

Hasbro Interactive

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Star Man posted:

I mean, to be fair, that is a very poorly-written "ac", to the point that it does look like "ze".

Granted, it's not like perfect handwriting is a necessity for this sort of thing anyway, but let's not fault Allen Wren here.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Can't wait for the rgb Fami I bought of MB. My entire life has led up to this moment.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, obviously I know what it's supposed to say, it's a joke.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

worthless. posted:

Can't wait for the rgb Fami I bought of MB. My entire life has led up to this moment.

When considering the upgrade from composite to RGB the Famicom/NES is the biggest jump in quality there is. Be careful so that your jaw won't hit the floor when you see it in person.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Oh! Cool!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TeaJay posted:

When considering the upgrade from composite to RGB the Famicom/NES is the biggest jump in quality there is. Be careful so that your jaw won't hit the floor when you see it in person.

I think probably I'll just die and have to enjoy the beautiful pixels as a skeleton.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I'm doing the ole' late night ebay trawling for carts and

Hey that's a pretty decent Hyperstone Heist, for a fair price.

But wait... what's that text say? That's not right. Is that... Cyrillic?

Hold on, where is this shipping fro---St. Petersberg. Lol.

You know, I guess it makes sense Russians would get Sega and Nintendo games, but... its not something I've ever really thought about. I don't think I've ever seen a Russian game cartridge before, or even thought about Russian videogames other than Tetris.

Also in Russia, Leo is Neo and Michelangelo is Mank.

Also look at this superior Russian design, the controls are right on the box! No need for manual comrade! :ussr:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 26, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You know, I guess it makes sense Russians would get Sega and Nintendo games, but... its not something I've ever really thought about. I don't think I've ever seen a Russian game cartridge before, or even thought about Russian videogames other than Tetris.

Pirate Russian Hyperstone Heist might be a fun addition to a collection assuming you pay a few dollars for it instead of something resembling actual Hyperstone prices.

Russian gaming is generally isolated, pirated, and weird. They got a Famiclone called the Dendy as the NES/Famicom was dieing off elsewhere and it was a smash hit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm doing the ole' late night ebay trawling for carts and

I'll see your Russian Hyperstone Heist cart and raise you this;

Anyone want to chip in and buy this together? :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Love me some sechond hand bargains.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How often do you pick up new SNES minis? I'm debating finding a 1CHIP SNES mobo to swap into my SFC (drat it I just will not be able to stand a boxy SNES on my shelf :colbert: ) or just biting the bullet and going with a Mini.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Also look at this superior Russian design, the controls are right on the box! No need for manual comrade! :ussr:

Press C for a 6er? Did they print instructions for SA Mods by mistake?

I wish more games translated their titles (other than Japanese -> English), even videogame movies do it more.

Of course, video game movies can also be so bad they have to come up with reasons for you to buy it right on the cover.

quote:

The Top 3 reasons to see this movie

1. Because it's the only Street Fighter where Guile wins at the end
2. Because it's the last role of the excellent Raul Julia
3. Because Blanka's hair is an endless source of inspiration

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

Also in Russia, Leo is Neo and Michelangelo is Mank

Excuse me that's Leo and Majk thank you very much.

edit: also speaking of isolated, pirated, and weird Russian gaming, these are my favorite Dendy videos (awkward subtitles through closed captions):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM

Nancy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 26, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I finally got an Everdrive this week for my NES, and I was curious what would happen if I loaded up the Japanese Castlevania III since I figured it would just not boot or crash or something in lieu of not having the right sound channels, but I hilariously found out that it totally works and just misses the notes it can't play and gives the whole thing this weird jokey atmosphere instead.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I finally got an Everdrive this week for my NES, and I was curious what would happen if I loaded up the Japanese Castlevania III since I figured it would just not boot or crash or something in lieu of not having the right sound channels, but I hilariously found out that it totally works and just misses the notes it can't play and gives the whole thing this weird jokey atmosphere instead.

Yeah, from a technical standpoint those notes are still playing via the chip so as far as the NES is concerned everything is working as it should, it's just the audio output from the special chip doesn't have a path to the sound output on the American NES unless you explicitly open the console up and add it in yourself, which is trivially easy to do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think I'll stick with clownvania for the moment.

Also considering it's a Monitor Burn special and I don't want to gently caress with it.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Martytoof posted:

How often do you pick up new SNES minis? I'm debating finding a 1CHIP SNES mobo to swap into my SFC (drat it I just will not be able to stand a boxy SNES on my shelf :colbert: ) or just biting the bullet and going with a Mini.

I'll have a modded SNES-Mini available by tomorrow. I usually try to keep one in stock, but its been harder to find consoles in decent condition.

Phantasium posted:

I think I'll stick with clownvania for the moment.

Also considering it's a Monitor Burn special and I don't want to gently caress with it.

Its possible to get expansion audio to work on a Top Loader NES, but it also requires modifying the Everdrive cart to re-route the audio signal around the console's missing cart connector pins.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 26, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What would it cost for you to S-Video mod a 32x?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a better job recently and I've never owned a SNES but I do have a Trinitron...do I even need to have any mods done, or should I just get a SNES, use S-Video, get a Super Everdrive, and make up for lost time?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
S-Video is a really great signal that I think you'll be satisfied with, no reason to worry overmuch about RGB in my opinion if you're set up for S-Video already.

I think only original SNES can do S-Video though? Not too sure

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

In Training posted:

They gave me 40 dollars for the Assassin's Creed Vita game and I bought persona 4 golden.

I also did this when amazon had that one deal on with a white vita, a bad assassin's creed game for trade-in and a decent-sized memory card
$180 for all that was a really good deal

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Charles Get-Out posted:

S-Video is a really great signal that I think you'll be satisfied with, no reason to worry overmuch about RGB in my opinion if you're set up for S-Video already.

OG & most 1Chip SNES units can do S-Video and even RGB. The mini SNES units are composite-only, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2HVB9S8CA

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I got a better job recently and I've never owned a SNES but I do have a Trinitron...do I even need to have any mods done, or should I just get a SNES, use S-Video, get a Super Everdrive, and make up for lost time?

Try an original SNES with S-Video for starters. Then you can start thinking about falling deeper into the RGB rabbithole. (I may be biased but I feel like the RGB 1chip SNES mini is kinda the pinnacle of SNES gaming as far as picture quality goes.)

As far as flashcarts go, I'd recommend the SD2SNES, since it's the more versatile option. Fast loading, MSU-1 support, automatic region patching (vvvv Terranigma problem below), support for more games among other things.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 26, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What would it cost for you to S-Video mod a 32x?

Is there really a point to that? You can buy an S-Video cable for it as-is which doesn't look the best, sure. But if you're going to get a mod done for it, might as well have it do RGB or component.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

Is there really a point to that? You can buy an S-Video cable for it as-is which doesn't look the best, sure. But if you're going to get a mod done for it, might as well have it do RGB or component.
For a 32X? Those don't have S-Video built-in (though they do output RGB natively IIRC), so you would have to mod it in if you were insistent upon that.

I think Micomsoft made a piece of hardware that converts RGB down to S-Video for Mega Drive products (and, by extension, Genesis ones), but it's incredibly uncommon to see one and costs a lot of money when it comes up.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

univbee posted:

Yeah, from a technical standpoint those notes are still playing via the chip so as far as the NES is concerned everything is working as it should, it's just the audio output from the special chip doesn't have a path to the sound output on the American NES unless you explicitly open the console up and add it in yourself, which is trivially easy to do.

Yeah, I soldered a resistor to my NES to get extra sound channels for Japanese Castlevania 3 and FDS games and it works great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Seems to be a good way to go, if you don't wanna break the bank on a SCART / Monitor setup. I'm rocking S-video and its way better than composite.

Got my eye on some of those component SNES cables though, I need those baddddd.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Not quite. NES can only do composite, but SNES, N64 AND Gamecube can all do S-video natively!!! (And the same s-video cable works in all 3 consoles, which is super handy so you don't have to swap cables around)

Only SNES can do RGB natively, and only Gamecube can do Component natively. (And the GC component cables are more rare than dinosaur eggs)

Mini SNES doesn't have the S-video wired up though so you'd have to mod it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I use S-Video for my PC-FX (:v:) because as far as I know there's no RGB mod for it & at least to me it's hard to tell the difference between that and my Saturn running on RGB, etc.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monitor Burn posted:

Its possible to get expansion audio to work on a Top Loader NES, but it also requires modifying the Everdrive cart to re-route the audio signal around the console's missing cart connector pins.

Yeah I don't think I care that much.

Honestly the thing bothering me right now is finding a variant of the Terranigma rom that will work on a Super Everdrive, if such a thing can happen. I've tried various NTSC patches and always get that lockout message. And the one time I got a google search that mentioned changing a bit or something to disable the lockout, I didn't pay attention to where I found it and it hasn't shown up in a search for me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

:siren: RARE SPAWN DETECTED :siren:

Are there any worthwhile games on that thing besides that one shmup? I seem to recall reading somewhere it's 99% visual novels.

• Locked thread