Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't played either of the new champions but Xayah seems really strong in mid game like Corki/Draven/Quinn but late game she falls off.

Rakan seems strong throughout the entire game but he looks harder to play because you either get a great Rakan or a terrible one. Its like a bard or Thresh support if they are great they can almost carry on their own but if they are just good or average they have almost 0 impact in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jinx is a champion that exists and is pretty fun.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Addamere posted:

On the note of Camille's ultimate, are there any edge cases where it's possible to escape it? I'm thinking of things like using Master Yi or Urgot ultimates on someone who flashes away right before the cast completes, and other moves that sometimes lead the casting champion to go absurd distances. Does her ultimate prevent those as well, and if so what happens to the damage and effects that should have occurred, or the positions of enemies?
There's an incredibly short period (probably single frames?) where the cage is placed but she hasn't landed from the jump, and if you displace yourself (and therefore her) over a wall it cancels the ult. Here's an example. Otherwise, no, it doesn't matter how far you go, you still get pulled back in. Urgot's ult has the ulted person end up at the boundary of the ult. Master Yi's ult doesn't interact with it at all, but he can cancel her ult by Alpha Striking during the cast (just like Fizz). Other untargetable stuff can do that too, like Zed and Shaco ults.

JerryLee posted:

What did they actually take out from her kit?
In addition to the stuff already mentioned, they reduced the duration of her ult at lower ranks (2.5/3.5/4 from 4 at all ranks), reduced the duration of her passive shield, reduced the length of time of the stun on secondary victims of her ult (the ones that get knocked back) and made it so her ult only lasts a maximum of a second more if she dies, rather than the full duration. A lot of small but significant stuff that she really shouldn't of had in the first place.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I would only pick Xhaya into certain comps at high levels, but against short-range comps, her damage is unreal. I also don't think she can lose a level 3 all in against any ADC assuming the supports are somewhat equal

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teikanmi posted:

Usually when you cast a spell it hits one target or multiple targets but in this case it does both and it's like the only AP spell in the game that does that so it's stupid broken

I understand what you're saying about it being a goofy interaction. But the net outcome, that the fantasy mage lady can heal back to full or nearly full health off of throwing a Q at a wave or two is not unique to LeBlanc and used to not be unique to Gunblade. Bring back spell vamp on Revolver and/or reinstate Will of the Ancients, and LeBlanc can do the same thing. Even without any spell vamp, Ahri can Q a wave to heal up. If the complaint is specific to LeBlanc, i.e. that a bursty/mobile assassin-hybrid can all-in, escape, then heal back up afterward without having to leave lane, then I agree with you that mobile shitheads are obnoxious but I'm not going to waste a ban on LeBlanc that could be put toward Riven or Yasuo. By contrast, if LeBlanc couldn't burst and then escape and heal what would she do? Burst then escape and heal a little less would leave you just as dead or having to back while she would still remain in lane but just have to Q an additional wave before hitting full health. If the issue is burst, then yeah they've already taken Deathfire Grasp out of the game but then they added in other items like Luden's and Shiv so I dunno it feels like Riot wants people to be able to burst a champion or camp/wave in a single rotation. I mean, Annie still exists after all.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Rakan feels like a worse Nami.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Alris posted:

Rakan feels like a worse Nami.

I think he's better if he's ahead, worse if he's behind. he's fairly feast or famine for support cause he has to put himself at p big risk to get anything done.

Anyone experimenting with galio supp? I've been trying him a lot lately and he feels p strong, if you take his E level 1 you can chunk people for like a third of their health with E into empowered auto. His Q scales well even on a supp shoestring budget and makes it so you can always help clear waves if you start falling behind, his W is amazing peel (and not bad initiation if you have a flash), and his ult turns a lot of attempted picks into free kills/is great with dives.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Addamere posted:

I understand what you're saying about it being a goofy interaction. But the net outcome, that the fantasy mage lady can heal back to full or nearly full health off of throwing a Q at a wave or two is not unique to LeBlanc and used to not be unique to Gunblade. Bring back spell vamp on Revolver and/or reinstate Will of the Ancients, and LeBlanc can do the same thing. Even without any spell vamp, Ahri can Q a wave to heal up. If the complaint is specific to LeBlanc, i.e. that a bursty/mobile assassin-hybrid can all-in, escape, then heal back up afterward without having to leave lane, then I agree with you that mobile shitheads are obnoxious but I'm not going to waste a ban on LeBlanc that could be put toward Riven or Yasuo. By contrast, if LeBlanc couldn't burst and then escape and heal what would she do? Burst then escape and heal a little less would leave you just as dead or having to back while she would still remain in lane but just have to Q an additional wave before hitting full health. If the issue is burst, then yeah they've already taken Deathfire Grasp out of the game but then they added in other items like Luden's and Shiv so I dunno it feels like Riot wants people to be able to burst a champion or camp/wave in a single rotation. I mean, Annie still exists after all.

Ahri is doing the same types of builds now and generically there probably is a problem with hyper-mobile burst mages/assassins in midlane gaining, for free, the additional functionality of becoming high-sustain splitpushers.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Jinx is a champion that exists and is pretty fun.

Man thank god Jinx isn't meta she is so cancer. Because soloq games tend to have lots of throws she can eventually scale. Thankfully she is bad in lane vs most adcs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blah_blah posted:

Ahri is doing the same types of builds now and generically there probably is a problem with hyper-mobile burst mages/assassins in midlane gaining, for free, the additional functionality of becoming high-sustain splitpushers.

You're not high sustain when you have to use mana to do it, and building mana/regen is not a thing if you want to maintain your high burst damage.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lol at people who say Xayah falls off late game. Shes absurd mid and late game with the caveat that she isn't great in lane and isn't Cait levels late game. She is however great at pushing and defending ganks and dives

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Lol at people who say Xayah falls off late game. Shes absurd mid and late game with the caveat that she isn't great in lane and isn't Cait levels late game. She is however great at pushing and defending ganks and dives

Her big issue lategame is her only escape from long range cc is her ult, most other good adcs have some ability on their qwe to dodge ashe arrows or have longer range than her.

She's real strong if you just ignore her in a teamfight tho for sure and she's harder to hard engage on with melee centric stuff like mao or w/e.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Rakan's hidden strength seems to be that he has very high sustain in lane and trades favorably.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Addamere posted:

It might be because I'm a skittish coward but Camille seems really strong and always will unless/until they remove her ability to cross the lane in like three seconds and then prevent your escape (read: never)

On the note of Camille's ultimate, are there any edge cases where it's possible to escape it? I'm thinking of things like using Master Yi or Urgot ultimates on someone who flashes away right before the cast completes, and other moves that sometimes lead the casting champion to go absurd distances. Does her ultimate prevent those as well, and if so what happens to the damage and effects that should have occurred, or the positions of enemies?

Tahm Kench is the answer as usual, as you can just gulp up whoever got ulted and walk out with em.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like there's some sort of matchmaker bias against supps. I know it's not real but like i feel I win every game where i play a supp I'm good with and lose every game i play a supp I'm trying to learn. I just wanna get carried once in a blue moon but it never happens.

Every time i try a new champ my top/mid/jungler combo feeds super hard, it's basically without fail. It's at a level that if i won my lane hard enough we could probably stabilize and have a 50/50 shot at winning, but it's on champs I'm bad at and it's just like couldn't you guys be the carries for once.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I just wanna be the guy that when I'm winning I'm like "hey man that dude showed up and did his job, he didn't carry but he didn't throw" but i've been in like a 2 month match streak that is feast or famine

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Played 11 games of Rakan in norms so far. He's really fun!

Currently here's what I'm doing, could be way off but it's a start:
  • 0/18/12 Windspeakers
  • MPen/Armor/AP blues + quints vs easy lanes, MPen/Armor/MR/AP vs ranged bully lanes
  • first item Mercury Treads??? It seems bizarre but it's a recommended item for a reason I guess. There's no other MR in his buildpath and you just e x p l o d e from one spell otherwise, and targeted CC is the absolute death of him when you try to engage.
  • after that, sightstone -> Talisman -> Redemption -> Ardent
  • roam CONSTANTLY, if you're not ganking you're losing since his laning other than WQE whenever his passive is up is garbage. He reminds me most of Alistar.
  • wheeeeee dash dash dash

One really weird thing I've noticed is that his W is interrupted by non-displacement stuns. You'll literally stop mid-dash if you get hit by TF yellow card, it's so bizarre. I don't think any other dashes work like this, do they?

edit: here's what happened the first game I ever had against a Rakan

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 26, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How do you not blow up anytime you engage?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He has a shield, a heal, two dashes a dash knockup, and a charm that lets him go hecarim fast

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah he's actually extremely durable unless hes really behind. Also a lot of the support items end up giving him health and some defense so that helps.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Abuse the hell out of stacking heal+shield passives, like Janna does.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Playing Rakan like Alistar will get you killed. The only similarities are using fog of war to flash engage (with his ult) too quick to be reacted to. Then you gather as many people as you can in the charm and chain W for the knockup as it ends. Then you IMMEDIATELY Q someone and E dash out of the fight, to your own backline. Double dash if you need to, just do so before you get annihilated so you might get a second round of spells off.

Defensively he's pretty good too. You do the Shen thing where you run through the enemy (for you it's with R), dragging them away from your backline to your frontline, then chain the knockup, then immediately dash back to the backline. I like him because he has decent attack speed for ward killing and can wall dash.

Ranking his skills is interesting and reactive. Q healing doesn't go up with rank, so you only rank it high when you're going to be able to hit it a lot. You can really snowball the lane and 1v3 with it by getting its cooldown really low, but it's worthless out of lane because of its low range. You'll only really use it while kiting in a fight or after CC. Going to 3 ranks first is usually good enough.

E is always a safe skill to max–the cooldown at max rank is best in class (tied with Ivern) and the raw amount goes up by an insane 80 across both spellcasts per rank. And its a dash that can get you out of a fight where you will die. If you get any AP it has a 1.6 ratio over its two casts. That and his other ratios are good enough to justify going spellthief in a lane you can fight. Coin is usually best.

W is as good as followup CC is. Its delay is long enough that pretty much anyone can walk out of it unless their positioning/reaction speed is bad. But you can use it to not die while warding and it's got a good AOE. If your team has CC or your ult is up it's great, or their team's immobile and your team has slows. I don't think I'd ever max it. Maybe for the wombo combo teamcomp and if your team has lovely waveclear and you need it to push lanes to punish roams or kills.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
IS pantheon still a good jungler? I never know what to buy on him since they revamped armor pen

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Darth Windu posted:

IS pantheon still a good jungler? I never know what to buy on him since they revamped armor pen

Love panth in jg, I start W and go red with the lifesteal jg item, then warriors and mobi boots (or merc treads if you want) and then Black Cleaver, Yomuus, and then tank. If you're way ahead against MR, Maw is a viable option. Your level 3 gank against a pushed solo laner is 95% guaranteed flash/kill. Generally I don't open with W on a gank, it's better to catch someone with a mobility move if they try to escape, or save it for disengage if you get counterganked. W passive used to work on drag/baron, no longer the case, but still it is absolutely vital to jungling without getting too low.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

ArbitraryC posted:

"hey man that dude showed up and did his job, he didn't carry but he didn't throw"

I'm pretty sure this is Janna's official champion subtitle

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Janna carries through the seemingly invisible but unrelenting power of statistics. If Daniel Negreanu wrote a book on LoL he'd probably make it about lowballing with Janna.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Spudalicious posted:

Love panth in jg, I start W and go red with the lifesteal jg item, then warriors and mobi boots (or merc treads if you want) and then Black Cleaver, Yomuus, and then tank. If you're way ahead against MR, Maw is a viable option. Your level 3 gank against a pushed solo laner is 95% guaranteed flash/kill. Generally I don't open with W on a gank, it's better to catch someone with a mobility move if they try to escape, or save it for disengage if you get counterganked. W passive used to work on drag/baron, no longer the case, but still it is absolutely vital to jungling without getting too low.

THat seems really fragile just when Panthers is falling off. cleaver youmou and warrior is also a really expensive core for a jg. Maybe things have changed since I last jungled regularly but I used to go warrior -> brutalizer -> tank. Maybe warrior cleaver tank?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

slydingdoor posted:

Playing Rakan like Alistar will get you killed. The only similarities are using fog of war to flash engage (with his ult) too quick to be reacted to. Then you gather as many people as you can in the charm and chain W for the knockup as it ends. Then you IMMEDIATELY Q someone and E dash out of the fight, to your own backline. Double dash if you need to, just do so before you get annihilated so you might get a second round of spells off.

Defensively he's pretty good too. You do the Shen thing where you run through the enemy (for you it's with R), dragging them away from your backline to your frontline, then chain the knockup, then immediately dash back to the backline. I like him because he has decent attack speed for ward killing and can wall dash.

Ranking his skills is interesting and reactive. Q healing doesn't go up with rank, so you only rank it high when you're going to be able to hit it a lot. You can really snowball the lane and 1v3 with it by getting its cooldown really low, but it's worthless out of lane because of its low range. You'll only really use it while kiting in a fight or after CC. Going to 3 ranks first is usually good enough.

E is always a safe skill to max–the cooldown at max rank is best in class (tied with Ivern) and the raw amount goes up by an insane 80 across both spellcasts per rank. And its a dash that can get you out of a fight where you will die. If you get any AP it has a 1.6 ratio over its two casts. That and his other ratios are good enough to justify going spellthief in a lane you can fight. Coin is usually best.

W is as good as followup CC is. Its delay is long enough that pretty much anyone can walk out of it unless their positioning/reaction speed is bad. But you can use it to not die while warding and it's got a good AOE. If your team has CC or your ult is up it's great, or their team's immobile and your team has slows. I don't think I'd ever max it. Maybe for the wombo combo teamcomp and if your team has lovely waveclear and you need it to push lanes to punish roams or kills.

I don't put more than one point in his Q, it seems like total garbage. It's impossible to hit unless it's a follow-up to W.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
If you can hit it and actually trade a lot and fight in the lane then it's good. If you play a boring rear end Janna style lane then take 1 point in Q at level 3 or 4 and leave it there. You will never ever deal damage if you do it that way so play accordingly. If you do rank it you get to pretend to be Lissandra/Karma and win supportal combat and cleanup kills. It's not every time you get to play that way but when you can/have to you'll be glad you didn't rank up the spell you need an ally to even cast.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
when i got my S on rakan I maxed Q first and just traded aggressively in lane with it, kinda weird that the heal doesn't scale but it actually adds a lot of damage in the 2v2 if you can use it.

I dunno if that's the ideal strat or anything on him it's just sorta what I did. I went with cotc keystone, and would go for trades when my passive shield was up. Between the passive and the cotc shield plus the backend heal on his q you should win basically every trade you take like that and the Q chunks decently hard if it's hitting.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
What's the deal with Yorick? I try to play him and it'd be better for my team if I afk'd, but whenever I'm against him top he just kicks my rear end completely. Why is that motherfucker my poison?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Level W instead if Q on Rakan if you don't want his shield.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Darth Windu posted:

THat seems really fragile just when Panthers is falling off. cleaver youmou and warrior is also a really expensive core for a jg. Maybe things have changed since I last jungled regularly but I used to go warrior -> brutalizer -> tank. Maybe warrior cleaver tank?

Yeah, I guess I typically build a tank item after cleaver, but yomuus is great when you're ahead and have mobi boots, the move speed is hecarim-level hilarity and you can rush someone from behind, do a shitload of damage and probably force them back/kill, then jump to another lane for global presence. Or you jump in and die instantly like I usually do :argh:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I think E max makes the most sense, because you can only do anything when all three of your cooldowns are up, so you wanna reduce your longest cooldown to be in line with the others. That also makes it synergize with Windspeaker's because of that sweet 10% bonus

I'm not saying that maxing Q is wrong, because I'm only 11 games into the dude. But I really don't see him as a lane bully with Q, the spell is just soooo short and doesn't pass through minions or anything (unlike harass from Sona, Nami, Karma, Zyra, Malz, Annie, loving anyone really)

edit: Windspeaker's also makes your Redemption better

edit edit: one of the toughest things about him is getting those lil extra autos in to reduce your passive CD

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

What's the deal with Yorick? I try to play him and it'd be better for my team if I afk'd, but whenever I'm against him top he just kicks my rear end completely. Why is that motherfucker my poison?

Depends on who the Yorick in question is against and if he lands E ever. A lot of his in-lane damage is ghouls and his sustain comes from Q. So you need to last hit with Q to keep yourself healthy and have graves. Then you E somebody, catch them in your W, and bash them with a shovel a few times. It hurts.

His first few levels are utter rear end but once he has a Sheen and a few levels his ghouls do way more damage than people expect but you really do have to land E a lot to make good use of them.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
finally had a s+ master yi game where the enemy lee sin asked me in all chat if i was smurfing, i just told him i like to play jungle bard.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've been building Athene's on Rakan. It seems to be working well. His AP ratios are pretty nuts, and MR/Cooldown is great for him.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

I think E max makes the most sense, because you can only do anything when all three of your cooldowns are up, so you wanna reduce your longest cooldown to be in line with the others. That also makes it synergize with Windspeaker's because of that sweet 10% bonus

I'm not saying that maxing Q is wrong, because I'm only 11 games into the dude. But I really don't see him as a lane bully with Q, the spell is just soooo short and doesn't pass through minions or anything (unlike harass from Sona, Nami, Karma, Zyra, Malz, Annie, loving anyone really)

edit: Windspeaker's also makes your Redemption better

edit edit: one of the toughest things about him is getting those lil extra autos in to reduce your passive CD

I found him too squishy with windspeakers which is why I went cotc instead. imo he's not designed to be a passive supp that relies on raw numbers like that, you'd just be better off playing janna. q max with cotc means you can just keep goin in and chunking. Maybe there's a better way to play him iunno but I think if you're goin a more passive route there's just better supports for the job.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CubeTheory posted:

I've been building Athene's on Rakan. It seems to be working well. His AP ratios are pretty nuts, and MR/Cooldown is great for him.

They definitely are not "nuts". Very far from nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Teikanmi posted:

They definitely are not "nuts". Very far from nuts.

His ratios are decent, considering his passive shields scales 0.9 AP and his E is 0.8 AP. Who cares if his offensive ratios are only 1.5 total.

• Locked thread