Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember like it was yesterday when someone was putting up Oladipo's second year numbers against Wade's and saying he was ready to break out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'd love to do Miami's conditioning program, but I'm afraid I'd die after a few hours

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Carlosologist posted:

I'd love to do Miami's conditioning program, but I'm afraid I'd die after a few hours

Considering my quads and forearms are still sore after 20min of softball infield drills from 2 days ago yeah, I think I would literally die.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

RaySmuckles posted:

you think they'll crush the jazz that easily?

i mean, yes, the warriors are really in a league of their own, but the jazz play great defense and seem to have good shooters, plus a dominant center so they can overplay the 3 line. i think the season record was 2-1, but i don't know if that 1 came late during rest

we'll see :shrug:

The Warriors definitely would prefer to play the Clippers. Jazz play them tough, but they downright own the Clippers' souls.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The jazz barely beat a clippers team with cp3 and ymca players

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Someone was discussing this earlier.

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/857207711175520256

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Tae posted:

The jazz barely beat a clippers team with cp3 and ymca players

Well....one of the best players in the league missed the first 3 games and has been less than 100% in the others.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

This would be more interesting if you subtracted all 4th quarter play from the stats. Would show clearer picture of Beverly's defense vs Westbrook being exhausted

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Sample size imo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Papes posted:

Well....one of the best players in the league missed the first 3 games and has been less than 100% in the others.

I'm speaking strictly from the last game. The Jazz had to get some huge 3's from Iso Joe to eek out a win against a team who's best PF option is Paul Pierce.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
https://streamable.com/s/3pb0x/gkdjrx

Russ blocking his own guy at the rim

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Wow ESPN fired a hundred loving people

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I could definitely seeing Jazz/Warriors going 6 or 7 games. Not hard to imagine stealing game 1 with the long layoff and no Kerr on the sidelines to get them focused.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

"A big reason why" is kind of a stretch seeing a show he was only shooting 40% on non-PatBev defenders.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Wow ESPN fired a hundred loving people

It's what happens when you lose tons and tons of passive money from people who never watched your channel but still payed you 8 bucks a month out of their cable bill.

It's what happened when Live TV rights exploded right along side with people realizing hey I don't need to pay 150 dollars for this dumb TV package.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

Humans are very good at detecting patterns, even when the patterns are generated from random data. Humans are also very good at coming up with explanations for why things occurred, even when there is no evidence to support one explanation over another. Combine these two things and you have sports journalism, or journalism in general. Anyone who can suppress these handicaps has a big edge.

This is also a variation on conspiracy theory syndrome, which, I think we'll all agree, is where it's at

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

As long as my dude Bomani is still around

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For those that want to follow along, deadspin is keeping a running list of all those laidoff

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

As long as my dude Bomani is still around

:hfive:

Though even if Bomani is fired he is clearly talented enough that someone will pick him up.

I've been listening to that dude since SB nation.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

https://streamable.com/s/3pb0x/gkdjrx

Russ blocking his own guy at the rim

MVP! MVP!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

All the responses are saying "serves em right for turning leftist" and I have no idea what they're talking about? Are they just mixing up neoliberal corporate identity politics with leftism? Or were there broadcasters on at 6pm saying that the next time there's a lockout the teams need to be nationalized and removed from the hands of greedy rentier billionaires? Their highlight shows at this point are basically reposting all the top reddit videos so I don't really know what purpose the network serves.

I think it's hard for people to realize or accept that they're the ones who have moved right, and ESPN has just stayed in the same place, thus appearing from their perspective to have moved left.

It's still the same as it was ten years ago, a network with most people attempting to appear staunchly apolitical with maybe an outlier or two having a more openly left view.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also if they were doing this because of SJWs they wouldn't be letting go of so many of the #AllLivesMatters all-stars

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol Isaiah Canaan is starting a playoff game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Paul Zuvella posted:

For those that want to follow along, deadspin is keeping a running list of all those laidoff

Let me know when Stephen A Smith's name pops up on that

e:

https://twitter.com/TimToney11/status/857084824166813696

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 26, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks it is with a heavy heart I report that Steven A Smith is still at ESPN.

The bulk of the firings were actual reporters rather than pundits and ex-athletes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

dokmo posted:

Waiters was terrible coming into this season and I'm not sure he improved at all aside from having his shots go in.

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/dionwaiters3/status/517158752345415682

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wow they're firing so many people. ESPN got fleeced by the NFL and now they can't afford to have reporters covering individual teams. That's kind of a good thing for local papers and regional sports networks

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I won't say I'm happy ethan strauss lost his job because that part sucks, but i'm glad i won't accidentally read one of his articles on espn and get real upset anymore

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What was Paul George's scouting report going into his draft? Did anybody think he was going to be as good as he is?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Up Circle posted:

I won't say I'm happy ethan strauss lost his job because that part sucks, but i'm glad i won't accidentally read one of his articles on espn and get real upset anymore

Did you ever hear him do his radio ethan character on the truehoop podcast, it was great great satire

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What was Paul George's scouting report going into his draft? Did anybody think he was going to be as good as he is?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-George-5688/ You can watch here
But the consensus was that he was a wing prospect with unlimited potential, a super versatile player with long arms who could defend, pass, and shoot, but didn't yet have good handles and was skinny.

Why teams took Ekpe udoh, evan turner, derrick favors, and Wesley johnson ahead of him, I don't know. I can understand Greg Monroe and Al Farouq Aminu picks. Maybe even Ekpe who showed a little bit before injuries ruined him totally. But Evan Turner and Derrick Favors, embarrassing.

The long athletic athletic wing with at least one skill has a 50/50 chance of becoming really good, that's one of my draft rules.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 26, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Here is one site's Paul George info.
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/paul-george

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Eat chain joyboy
Eat joy chainboy :twisted:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Did anyone by chance .gif Westbrook's exasperated "god drat" after a particularly poor sequence by his teammates?

I'd like to see the Jazz put up a fight against GS, but I'm not sure if they can even challenge them as much as Memphis did a couple years ago. The Jazz play great team defense that forces teams to take hero-ball shots, but that doesn't work so well against a team with Kevin Durant and Steph Curry. It's barely working against a team with Chris Paul doing a more efficient Russell Westbrook impersonation. Gobert's gonna have to be way better than he was last night on offense to give GS any trouble.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/131082/bpi-playoff-chances-for-nba-teams
Will Lockback win his hubristic bet against me, a champion of the underdog

Will Chicago keep blowing it
Will The Bucks succumb to the NBA rigging the series and the losses were rigged I paid Bashez a fee to review every call
Will the Jazz hold their lead over the clippers????

Does anyone think the Grizzlies can beat the Spurs? I said before that its such a warped mirror man matchup that I don't want to call it, what do you all think?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does anyone think the Grizzlies can beat the Spurs? I said before that its such a warped mirror man matchup that I don't want to call it, what do you all think?
The Grizzlies ARE gonna beat the Spurs :( Spurs are chokers weak as water
I'm always right
About everything.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Wow they're firing so many people. ESPN got fleeced by the NFL and now they can't afford to have reporters covering individual teams. That's kind of a good thing for local papers and regional sports networks

It got Trent Dilfer canned so I'm happy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'll believe in Grit and Grind until Zach Randolph is retired.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Papes posted:

You mean Austin rivers right

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

Did you ever hear him do his radio ethan character on the truehoop podcast, it was great great satire

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-George-5688/ You can watch here
But the consensus was that he was a wing prospect with unlimited potential, a super versatile player with long arms who could defend, pass, and shoot, but didn't yet have good handles and was skinny.

Why teams took Ekpe udoh, evan turner, derrick favors, and Wesley johnson ahead of him, I don't know. I can understand Greg Monroe and Al Farouq Aminu picks. Maybe even Ekpe who showed a little bit before injuries ruined him totally. But Evan Turner and Derrick Favors, embarrassing.

The long athletic athletic wing with at least one skill has a 50/50 chance of becoming really good, that's one of my draft rules.

Paul George turned into what everyone expected Wes Johnson to become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno why you're bagging on Derrick Favors, he was one of the best players last year and was only hampered this year due to injury.

• Locked thread