Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

that's an incredibly funny thing to say about bottom-of-the-barrel 4chan of all things

Sadly, it's not untrue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Like hell they did. The tweet was made in response to a thread on /v/ made during their streams with posts calling him a human being and Kira fat by the handful.

edit: The bullying on 4chan and in the youtube archives for the streams are so bad at times that Kira has stopped showing up for them.

I'm really sad if that's true. I watched most of their streams (via youtube archive) and they were fun to watch and seemed like really nice people. I do remember Kira & Kyle commenting about some people being really harsh towards them but they seemed to brush it off fairly well from my perspective. Both did fantastic jobs In Automata too! The internet sucks sometimes.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Beefstew posted:

I don't know if any of you are interested in reading some nerd's sprawling thesis on Nier: Automata, but I wrote an essay about the game's major themes and how they interact with its medium:
SPOILERS INSIDE: https://planckstorytime.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/nier-automata-analysis/

I'm starting to wonder if I only prefer Nier because I happened to play it in just the right circumstances as opposed to anything about it actually being any better than Automata. There are so many brilliant things about Automata you can actually quantify and analyse

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Nah, the character interaction in Nier really puts it over the top. Automata's way more fun to actually play, but I think the original is the clear winner if you look at the complete package.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

this would be both incredibly unsurprising and insanely shameful and sad

KamikazePotato posted:

I'm really sad if that's true. I watched most of their streams (via youtube archive) and they were fun to watch and seemed like really nice people. I do remember Kira & Kyle commenting about some people being really harsh towards them but they seemed to brush it off fairly well from my perspective. Both did fantastic jobs In Automata too! The internet sucks sometimes.

Without revealing too much personal stuff: Trust me when I say that I have confirmation that it is.

I recommend people here watch the streams because they are great, Kyle and friends are all very funny and nice people. They definitely feel grateful for their success and their fans and express as much very regularly.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

C route
The only bit I saw was when Kyle noticed the children's cores and he sat there trying to get people to pay attention but someone entered the room and someone started shrieking for a good 10 seconds and no one was paying attention to him and that was probably the worst first impression to the stream, cos I'm sure there's significantly less shrieking on the whole

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kyle's wife had just come home and was geeking out about Kira's 2B outfit. Personally I thought it was a pretty funny moment but I can see how it might give a strange first impression.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The tiny, broken "Kira..." as he tried to get her attention really added to it IMO.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Kyle's wife had just come home and was geeking out about Kira's 2B outfit. Personally I thought it was a pretty funny moment but I can see how it might give a strange first impression.

It was kinda cute, it's just horrid to listen to. I can deal when it's a kid doing it 'cos kids are kids but grown adults? Bugs me to death.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Managed to finish the two endings of route C today, but didn't get ending E before heading to work. I don't know how I feel tbh, but I know I've enjoyed my time and I might(?) enjoy 100%ing this game just to have more things to do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was kinda cute, it's just horrid to listen to. I can deal when it's a kid doing it 'cos kids are kids but grown adults? Bugs me to death.

You're gonna be really upset if you ever leave your house.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dabir posted:

People don't go around screeching round here, consider moving if that's the case over there.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dabir posted:

Outside =/= Anime convention.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what is this thing called "enthusiasm" you speak of? no data found in records.

are there any, like, highlight reels of the stream or anything? don't really wanna watch the whole thing.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Without revealing too much personal stuff: Trust me when I say that I have confirmation that it is.

drat. If you have contact with them let them know there's one more fan out there who thought they did an awesome job both in-stream and in-game.

Augus posted:

are there any, like, highlight reels of the stream or anything? don't really wanna watch the whole thing.

The big story moments generally produce good bits. In general the streams with Kyle + Kira together are the best ones because they get to talk about the process of recording for the game and which story beats they were aware of and all that (and because watching multiple people together is more fun than watching one person alone).

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
How far through route A am i ? Just arrived at the flooded city

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Macarius Wrench posted:

How far through route A am i ? Just arrived at the flooded city

Roughly 2/3rds? You're about to enter the endgame, go finish up any sidequests before you do the mission there.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just finished this game, more or less. Loved it but god drat if it's not bleak at times :smithicide:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If I don't do sidequests before the bit right after flooded city which I have heard is the point of no return, are they lost forever or can I Chapter Select them or something?

Don't want to pull a Nier and miss them forever, but some of these assholes are like level 50...

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I don't do sidequests before the bit right after flooded city which I have heard is the point of no return, are they lost forever or can I Chapter Select them or something?

Don't want to pull a Nier and miss them forever, but some of these assholes are like level 50...

You eventually get a very comprehensive chapter select. You will have to redo from scratch any sidequests you started and didn't finish/turn in, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can chapter select when the entire game is over. That said there's some quests that are probably good to do before then.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You'll eventually unlock chapter select, no worries. And most quests are still open for NG+, too.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The only thing you can miss is one of the joke endings. You get a chapter select after a few main endings are finished.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fangz posted:

You can chapter select when the entire game is over. That said there's some quests that are probably good to do before then.
Works for me. I am fine with just redoing from the start of anything I didn't touch, also. Thanks, thread! Time to leave again so I don't get spoiled :shobon:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

havenwaters posted:

The only thing you can miss is one of the joke endings. You get a chapter select after a few main endings are finished.

Note that this specific joke ending is gotten in the sidequest that's very likely the last piece of content you'll do in the game so don't fret about it

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Holy poo poo that thread is the most vitriolic, hateful stuff I've seen in quite some time, and I remember when SA did forum invasions on places like Stormfront.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neat!
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/857142603497824256

Now, just gimme the outfits in FFXIV. Thanks in advance squeenix.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

OWLS! posted:

Whoever did the localization, did a loving fantastic job with N:A. And the original Nier. And Drakengard 3. Drak 3 was actually downright excellent, so loving fight me :smug:

You aren't going to get everything across, and the worst you can do when localizing something is be an uncreative gently caress. And whoever worked on these games was most certainly not that.

But weebs be weebs, and MUH NIPOON PURITY. If you care so much, turn on Japanese for both the text and the audio or something.

I forgot to mention that I too believe that Drakengard 3 is excellent except for that bullshit rhythm boss.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They both post there so there's not exactly going to be anything dunking on their performance.

Which coincidentally lead to Kyle ranting on twitter than reddit is way nicer about his work than 4chan, despite the fact that /v/ showered him with nothing but praise until that tweet.

People who get this upset about people only liking the JP voices are just as bad as said JP voices only people.

But yeah 8-4 are consistently good in all of their projects I've played

The issue isn't with the people who just happen to prefer the Japanese VA. To each their own. The issue is with the people saying that the Japanese VA is the "intended experience" for western players and that anyone who plays with the English VA is an idiot who is ruining the game for themselves.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

...! posted:

The issue isn't with the people who just happen to prefer the Japanese VA. To each their own. The issue is with the people saying that the Japanese VA is the "intended experience" for western players and that anyone who plays with the English VA is an idiot who is ruining the game for themselves.

Which is dumb because the Japanese voices aren't beyond being corny or melodramatic at times. Also English 042 is best 042 :legion:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

what is this thing called "enthusiasm" you speak of?

He's British.

Kinda sucks if Kira stopped doing the streams because of garbage trolling. Chat itself seemed quite nice on the few streams I was around to watch live. Right now Kyle is doing OG Nier, it's interesting to see people that got "in" through Automata handle a WAY more janky and...Yoko Taro-ish game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I imagine being called a 3d pig slut, disgusting hambeast, etc probably did in fact make her quit. Those assholes are relentless and not everyone is immune to the ravings of the internet's herpes sores.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Dias posted:

He's British.

Kinda sucks if Kira stopped doing the streams because of garbage trolling. Chat itself seemed quite nice on the few streams I was around to watch live. Right now Kyle is doing OG Nier, it's interesting to see people that got "in" through Automata handle a WAY more janky and...Yoko Taro-ish game.

I think Kyle is struggling going from Platinum combat to Cavia combat, because while he did really well in Automata he's already died a ton in Nier 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hexenritter posted:

I imagine being called a 3d pig slut, disgusting hambeast, etc probably did in fact make her quit. Those assholes are relentless and not everyone is immune to the ravings of the internet's herpes sores.

Unfortunately, Kira has been dealing with this for many years and it's pretty easy to tell it has screwed up her self-confidence. She got the same poo poo on Newgrounds way back in the early 2000s that she is getting today now that she is actually 'real'-famous and it really sucks.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately, Kira has been dealing with this for many years and it's pretty easy to tell it has screwed up her self-confidence. She got the same poo poo on Newgrounds way back in the early 2000s that she is getting today now that she is actually 'real'-famous and it really sucks.

Normally I don't care enough about random celebs to say this but I genuinely feel bad for her. I saw plenty of references to her Rina-chan days amidst the spiteful poo poo in that thread and I can only imagine the toll almost a decade of that poo poo has taken.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Irony.or.Death posted:

Nah, the character interaction in Nier really puts it over the top. Automata's way more fun to actually play, but I think the original is the clear winner if you look at the complete package.

I think I like the characters and dialogue of the original Nier better, but only slightly. But overall measuring the games is like apples and oranges.
No wait. gently caress fruit. Fruit sucks. The games are like cake and ice cream.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mean there's a reason N:A was the successful one. All hail Platinum.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Route C: The Logic virus is giving me severe flashbacks to the shittest bit of Revengeance. Is the effect where You can't jump random or is it purposefully trying to make me take a particular path.? I tried going straight across the crater and go mobbed to death because of a small wall.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just go the long way around, you have enough time without waiting for your jump to kick back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Route C: The Logic virus is giving me severe flashbacks to the shittest bit of Revengeance. Is the effect where You can't jump random or is it purposefully trying to make me take a particular path.? I tried going straight across the crater and go mobbed to death because of a small wall.

You're just after finishing B, right? No particular path is required, it's on a periodic timer. Just go along the rim and wait for the effect to trigger and end before trying any gaps.