Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Landsknecht posted:

i really want to know how master ~spymaster~ and ~ceo~ the mittani was able to execute such a genius plan

You post just like Despera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Landsknecht posted:

i really want to know how master ~spymaster~ and ~ceo~ the mittani was able to execute such a genius plan

nex posted:

what plan

He's just recycling the old fountain war book kickstarter, either for want of something more interesting to talk about or possibly due to being under-medicated.

Although, to be fair to "the other guys", if someone was trying to have a book written about how bad I am at my hobby, I'd probably be a little bitch about it too.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

:chloe:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Baculus posted:

under-medicated

:trumppop:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

be careful, if you call someone "mentally ill" we'll get in trouble again :ohdearsass:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
what you're saying that the kickstarter wasn't a good idea?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Landsknecht posted:

what you're saying that the kickstarter wasn't a good idea?

neither is your posting but both keep happening

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
i read about the bfm thing so i laughed, but who would subject themselves to being in a channel with seraph ix basarab?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
all eve players are masochists on some level

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

nex posted:

i read about the bfm thing so i laughed, but who would subject themselves to being in a channel with seraph ix basarab?

According to him: CO2 for many months.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I've got little will power to play these days outside of late night slosh op shenanigans thanks to burn jita. Which is nice, as I've been focusing on my career and underdeveloped social life :unsmith:

I've found my tolerance for this game lessens with each relapse. I'm at the point now where I think "Man it's been a long time, I miss eve." Log in and immediately see chores that need doing before I can even think about having fun, and just log right back out and uninstall again.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Rhymenoserous posted:

I've found my tolerance for this game lessens with each relapse. I'm at the point now where I think "Man it's been a long time, I miss eve." Log in and immediately see chores that need doing before I can even think about having fun, and just log right back out and uninstall again.

It's probably not that EVE is less fun, but that the rest of your life outside of EVE is so undeniably better in comparison that it has really marginalized how much you want to play this game.

We are the broken sons and daughters of New Eden, and we know only misery. Save yourself.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

:effort: post incoming!

It's been, basically, March 5th since I've done any real playing. Burn Jita wrapped up and I immediately got hit with end of the month duties (loot sorting, plex contracting, audit and SIG update, resubbing my own accounts + disposables), and then everything just kind of fell flat. I saw it coming to some degree, but it really came down to two big issues.

Rhymenoserous posted:

This was one of them. Obviously no one was pressuring me to do what I did in MiniLuv, either now or over the past 2 years (it's been nearly 2 years since I became de facto leader). I still felt a lot of pride in it, but I noticed my play time became, "Log in, handle SIG stuff for the evening, see if I'm not too tired / have the ambition to do something." I've never seen a game with so much scaffolding and setup required to play, even at a high level. In WoW, it could be fun, easy, quick to go hop into a dungeon or do some PvP or whatever. Eve? Even if I want to solo gank, I need to log in five characters, get a fleet up, start scouting, look for something to kill (there might not even be anything to kill), get in ships, fly to the location, kill the man and wait 15 minutes before I do it all over again. And this is all in what I consider to be the most content-rich area of the game (highsec x ganking). But killing miners is boring and stupid; unfortunately, the alternative is even more effort. It's compounded by the fact that bulk of the burden of USTZ has rested on myself, Joe Painter and Logical Fallacy. While MiniLuv's modus operandi has always been "Join, wait for pings, log in, get kills", that puts an excessive amount of effort on the part of leadership and FC types. EUTZ is no different, they just have more people (6+ compared to 3? 4 on a good day?). But even when we could get our crew together and get something going, the lack of targets in USTZ is staggering. It's always been that way. While EUTZ would regularly pull in 10b+ and 15b+ freighters on a daily basis, USTZ struggles to find freighters worth more than even 3b isk. The freighter ganking game basically dies from around 00:00 until about 05:00. At a certain point, you get really frustrated when all you get for 3 hours scanning is some chill times shooting the poo poo. But I could be having more fun playing other video games, going to the gym, going out, or literally doing anything else. This wasn't a problem when I was still in graduate school and could gank in EUTZ and work in USTZ, but the real world sucks balls. The end result is after a long day of work, you're tired and the idea of sinking your night into 'maybe something cool will happen or we'll find a target' becomes much harder to convince yourself to get down on.

Obviously there's a lot that can be done. I could train more FC types and more people to do the heavy lifting that I had done; in fact, that was the strategy in Q1-Q2 2016, and we got some good FCs and support people out of it. But ultimately it's a war of attrition. People change, their interests in the game change, they leave the alliance, they burn out, they quit, they go fuckgoons and a host of other problems. You see it in SIG and squad leadership, as well as corp and alliance leadership. Another option might be to do lowkey things, like ganking miners or stream sniping or silly poo poo, but when you're used to dunking 5b, 10b, 15b and 20b+ freighters and jump freighters, what's a loving retriever matter? For years, I've said things like, "Miner fleets are cool and chill and people should do them more", but after leading hundreds of fleets, I want a bit more bang for my effort-buck. But again, that's part of the problem. Eventually you get this 'well, if we're not doing x, it's not even worth it' while you're fighting the long tail of burnout. But this is all kind of natural in the grand scheme of things, and, aside from the shittiness of USTZ, isn't unique to Eve.

The second part is a little different. ZKill shows I've killed 6.34T isk of ships. Almost none of those are caps, titans, dreads or supers. I pulled my APIs nearly 2 years ago to help make vexor ganking easier; the total is probably a bit higher. Even higher if you count all the kills I facilitated but never fired a shot on. Needless to say, I've ganked a lot (but not the most!). But what does it accomplish? MiniLuv kills an empty freighter. It costs us, say, 500m isk. The freighter is worth 1.3b isk, base insurance is 500m, platinum is 800m? The freighter dies, the pilot is out 500-800m isk. What does it accomplish? It probably hurts the freighter pilot if they're a poor single accounter schmuck. If they're a career hauler? Multiboxer? Barely a drop out of the proverbial bucket. Scale it up for a minute and lets pretend we got lucky and killed a CO2 Jump Freighter worth 20b isk and it's nice pod for a total of 30b isk in losses. Odds are if the JF pilot is flying around with 20b isk in his cargo, either 1) He's got a poo poo ton of money and can recover, 2) His corp will bail him out, 3) His alliance will bail him out. At best, maybe it's all personal money, the player quits the game, CO2 is out a JF pilot and their supply lines are delayed 5 hours, maybe a day. At worst? The alliance makes it back in a day or so of ratting and supply lines are jammed for a short time.

In its best months, MiniLuv destroys somewhere between 1.3T and 1.7T. The people running the perimeter trade citadels were pulling 30b isk of taxes a day. The economy is so much larger than what a group of people ganking can accomplish. I believe that deep down, everyone wants to make a big impact in the game, but with that kind of entrenched wealth, how can you possibly do that? The Imperium had literally every hostile alliance in the game bearing down on them and still managed to get out, move to Delve and recover within 2 months. Burn Jita had nearly 5k different players involved, caused 800b (?) in damages, but barely made a blip in the economy in the days after it wrapped up. Even for all the JFs we kill in Isanamo, Josameto, Iyen-Oursta, it still barely has an effect on anything in game. And that doesn't really take into account the pilots that get their losses reimbursed because "I lost connection," of which there is a non-zero value.

So, yeah, what's the point? I still love parts of this game, I definitely love MiniLuv and what I helped build and maintain from the foundations of Warr Akini, along with the help of so many cool people on the way. I still take a lot of pride in how effective MiniLuv is and how it continues to run with me mostly afk. But why empire build if your empire can't actually accomplish anything meaningful, not as a result of your incompetency at the game, but as a result of the state of the game?

tl;dr dead game so what

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The people running the perimeter trade citadels were pulling 30b isk of taxes a day.

Gevlon Goblin was right.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I agree with all of that and have said similar things myself in the past, I'd disagree with the entrenched wealth thing though as it comes to the effects of any particular campaign. It's all about going after pressure points. In my case I wanted the low isk players to gently caress off back to highsec and abandon war efforts. One less X for pos defense. On your side of things it was more about stopping the right supplies coming in. I have absolutely no doubt that in our various wars fought over the years more than one small tower was placed where they wanted a little something bigger but poo poo got kinda blew up on the way to the front, or you drove the price of _____ thing up beyond where a slightly cash starved vet could fly the ship of choice so he had to downship for a fight. Or you just pissed off a logistics guy to the point where he said "gently caress it I'm not shipping anymore." All of these things count in the big scheme of things, but without a forums dump you often don't see the true fruits of your labors.

EDIT: I mean both our urges are proof enough that it's the piled up "Mild Frustrations" that cause people to stop x'ing up. The difference is we inflicted those mild frustrations on others, in the case of ourselves the frustrations are more a product of bad game development on fart island.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i like making the numbers go up

speaking of which, let's check and see if the numbers are going up

i'm back, the numbers are going up :peanut:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What numbers?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the important ones

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
k/d ratio obviously

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

nex posted:

k/d ratio obviously

How good is .500?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nex posted:

k/d ratio obviously

Shitpost:post ratio tbh

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
100% is a perfect score

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

100% is a perfect score

congratulations on your success.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

What numbers?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the important ones

post count

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I thought it was catching all the STDs

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rap sheet probates

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
well you have a long way to go

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Red texts.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

We should setup a hisec tradehub keepstar

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Reverand maynard posted:

We should setup a hisec tradehub keepstar

we tried this back in 2012 when they were called POCOs and lol

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

well you have a long way to go

obviously

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

He's not wrong

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Oof

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Hey. Can you guys stop killing me with supers pls. I want to kill your AFK VNIs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FranktheBank posted:

Hey. Can you guys stop killing me with supers pls. I want to kill your AFK VNIs.

i bet they have a lot of afk VNIs in deklein, they rat even more than we do per person

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i bet they have a lot of afk VNIs in deklein, they rat even more than we do per person

So far from Provi though...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So there's an eve online chat room on my work's jabber network, I am debating popping in there and asking how many people are salty about goons.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

don't do this, if it's not a particularly embarrassing ban it just makes you look stupid. I don't trust a man without a rap sheet. It means he always posts safe.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

So far from Provi though...

do you live in provi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

So there's an eve online chat room on my work's jabber network, I am debating popping in there and asking how many people are salty about goons.

What's to debate? Get in there and screenshot the results.

• Locked thread