Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun

crobberts posted:

As someone that was taking Physics at Manchester University before I dropped out to make games full time I can assure everyone that the physics model is COMPLETELY accurate and it’s a full rigid body simulation. I know because I wrote the code.
proof you don't need a phd to create something great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thatguy posted:

Pretty sure he was a scientist of some sort at one point.

Nope. He was a comedian though.

A bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVn-yuobpfk

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wasn't Croberts mystified by the concept of gravity or momentum or something and had to have it explained in an interview with Molyneux?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Skellybones posted:

Wasn't Croberts mystified by the concept of gravity or momentum or something and had to have it explained in an interview with Molyneux?

It was Garriott and he could not understand that in zero G you just cant make up momentum from nowhere.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Do you even know what you have to do to get a phD. You have to do original research that is evaluated by your peers. Thats how you get your doctorate. You apprentice yourself to a scientist for several years. Classes are completely ancillary. Having a phD shows you know this process and dedicated several years solely to that.

Just want to point out the bolded part is bullshit. Doctoral-level coursework includes attending lots of lovely lectures as well as teaching lots of lovely undergrads. Lots of classes. I do like the "apprentice" term however... like medieval times, the word is just a euphemism for serfdom. You spend 100 hour weeks running experiments and writing the articles and your advisor slaps his name on just before it is accepted for publication.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MinorInconvenience posted:

Just want to point out the bolded part is bullshit. Doctoral-level coursework includes attending lots of lovely lectures as well as teaching lots of lovely undergrads. Lots of classes. I do like the "apprentice" term however... like medieval times, the word is just a euphemism for serfdom. You spend 100 hour weeks running experiments and writing the articles and your advisor slaps his name on just before it is accepted for publication.

I think you need to look up what ancillary means. It doesn't mean you don't take classes. It means its not the main point or focus in getting a doctorate.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Skellybones posted:

Richard Garriott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I would trust the physics capabilities of an enthusiastic amateur who never took a physics class, but could geek out about it, over someone who dropped out of a college physics education.

Chris Roberts is supporting evidence to this stance.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I think you need to look up what ancillary means. It doesn't mean you don't take classes. It means its not the main point or focus in getting a doctorate.

That's certainly not what the universities believe. PhD-candidate slave labor is the point of these programs for nearly all schools.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

That's certainly not what the universities believe. PhD-candidate slave labor is the point of these programs for nearly all schools.

I think we're talking past each other here.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Robocop has a PHD in Italian Renaissance Art history or something stupid like that.

PHD's mean poo poo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Not yet, but it's only been like 100 days so there's still hope I guess

found beet's workplace I think

Oh man they've got the rescue torsos with the interchangeable mouthpieces? I'm jealous as poo poo over here, I've been looking for one of those.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/longtime-star-citizen-backers-want-its-new-referral-contest-to-die-in-a-black-hole

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Propagandist posted:

:hfive: reliability engineers up in this bitch, show me your weibulls

Please. Not in public.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Motherboard is such poo poo. Why not write an actual article? This is little more than just combing Reddit for quotes. That being said, I can't really blame the writer, as they're probably getting paid peanuts, if at all.

Motherboard, the site named after a computer component, who published an article about PC building being elitist.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Lladre posted:

What is the shroud of the avatar crossover bonus thingy?
If you gave a certain amount of money to Shroud of the Avatar you would get a space crossbow in Star Citizen. This all happened quite a while ago. There are still no crossbows in Star Citizen.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

thatguy posted:

If you gave a certain amount of money to Shroud of the Avatar you would get a space crossbow in Star Citizen. This all happened quite a while ago. There are still no crossbows in Star Citizen.

I meant what reward did people get in the Shroud of Avatar game for being donators from Star Citizen. They had a co give money thing going.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

in zero G you just cant make up momentum from nowhere.

therefore nipple jets

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Please. Not in public.

They're all sensitive and likely to cause yelling.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lladre posted:

I meant what reward did people get in the Shroud of Avatar game for being donators from Star Citizen. They had a co give money thing going.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I think we're talking past each other here.

Probably, so let me try to refocus things. While earning a PhD in a hard science field used to mean you had added knowledge to your chosen field, it hasn't meant that for years now. It means you sucked a lot of post-doc cock. Simply put, a PhD (again, talking actual sciences here, not sociology or art history or comparative English literature of the 1880s) doesn't make you a scientist. I understand where you are going with your comment, but saying that you need a PhD is a bit over the top.

A quick question, is Dr. Smart a scientist by your definition? :grin:

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

April 6th, 2013:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12951-Back-SotA-Get-A-Crossbow-In-Star-Citizen
March 27th, 2014:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13571-Shroud-Of-The-Avatar-Crossbow-Update

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This guy reminds me of when I used to sperg out about Hating Megas XLR for being too anime as a teenager even though I had never watched it.

When I actually liked it I felt like a stupid rear end in a top hat for throwing myself into a position i later found stupid with no evidence. At least this guy never learned that lesson and is free to be a weird psycho that despises a game franchise because of it's "Misleading trailers" and "lack of content" and still somehow support Star Citizen in 2017.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lladre posted:

I think there was some stupid magic staff or something and I think it was long since delivered and forgotten about

e:fb

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A quick question, is Dr. Smart a scientist by your definition? :grin:

:suspense:

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Speaking of poo poo that the Star Citizens seem to forget about or not care about, how about that 2016 Gamescom demonstration of the "Alpha 3.0" back last Summer. Any ideas why it was never released? Was it actually a non-playable demo faked for the audience? Was it a build that would never run on a machine that wasn't a liquid-cooled super-computer? Any evidence to speak of about this? I ask because it seems that if it was even barely functional they could have released it and then apologized for bugs instead of constantly jerking the backers around with huge missed deadlines (given the whole released in December 2016 "hope"). Any thoughts from the brain trust here?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

A couple pages back, it was posted about how CIG was dropping Lua for ship stuff, and people joked about them making their own programming language.

They literally stated a month or two ago that they were making their own programming language.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Speaking of poo poo that the Star Citizens seem to forget about or not care about, how about that 2016 Gamescom demonstration of the "Alpha 3.0" back last Summer. Any ideas why it was never released? Was it actually a non-playable demo faked for the audience? Was it a build that would never run on a machine that wasn't a liquid-cooled super-computer? Any evidence to speak of about this? I ask because it seems that if it was even barely functional they could have released it and then apologized for bugs instead of constantly jerking the backers around with huge missed deadlines (given the whole released in December 2016 "hope"). Any thoughts from the brain trust here?
It's in the secret developer build you idiot. Stop being so impatient.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

They literally stated a month or two ago that they were making their own programming language.

Is there a place they say this? If so, this is *hilarious*.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Well you see, that demo was just so people would give more money, there was never any intention of it being released even though it seemed to be a working section of gameplay that wouldn't take long to get out to the public, if they had released it to the public then they wouldn't be able to talk about 3.0 for months on end while raking in more money and then, as will happen, blame a few blockers for slowing things down while completely ignoring the fact that it looked like they had a playable 'boots on the ground' section.

Of course, all the whales and Reddit have already long forgotten that CIG appeared to have a solid playable demo level and it's absence will be written off with reasons such as "they are waiting for 3.0 to add the functionality for the demo" or "It won't work without 3.0" even though it seemed to work just fine on CIG's demonstration pc without a '3.0' installed.

It was just another bait and switch.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

thatguy posted:

It's in the secret developer build you idiot. Stop being so impatient.

Plus, you should look at LOD: it's bad and many years late. Check and mate goonie.

Edit: sweetest catte i had

JugbandDude fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 27, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Thank you for Gorf-posting

I miss G0rf

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
http://www.pcgamer.com/conan-exiles-adds-dance-emotes-let-the-unsettling-nude-contortion-commence/

Meshes be hard. Unlike the penii.

NSFW

Hypnotic.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 26, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh man they've got the rescue torsos with the interchangeable mouthpieces? I'm jealous as poo poo over here, I've been looking for one of those.

Why Beet? Why?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Derek Smart, Scientist
Sandi Gardiner, Actress
Ben Lesnick, Developer
Chris Roberts, Respected

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

It looks like someone wasn't afraid to use that dong slider.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

XK posted:

A couple pages back, it was posted about how CIG was dropping Lua for ship stuff, and people joked about them making their own programming language.

didn't they invent super_duper.xml for this or some poo poo?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there a place they say this? If so, this is *hilarious*.

I'll refer you back to this post:

Sindai posted:

They missed the best part:

quote:

The Backend Team has been hard at work on a massive project to refactor our entire backend infrastructure to a new architecture we’re calling Diffusion. Diffusion will be a truly cloud-oriented service architecture that will help improve high scalability and availability for our services. It will be powered by a top level “coordination” layer written in a proprietary language developed by our Lead Server Engineer, Jason Ely.

If you find yourself developing a language when you started developing a piece of software, something has gone horrendously wrong.

I believe it's from one of their studio reports around Feb 10. Somebody else will have to provide linkage, because I have no patience to dig through all of CIG's utter bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Been trying to catch up with the treath, I'm still on April 14th. :negative:

Take your time. In the mean time, I am having some of these

"Wish you were here!"

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 26, 2017