Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I remember playing that translation, as well as the J2E version in the early 2000s. They rendered "Bartz" as "Butz" and "Cara" as "Krile" but it was a really well done translation.

In the article they mention that the original name translated to Battsu, and there was some official game-related merch or something like that that actually translated it to Butz

Also either Krile was correct from the start or SE was so impressed with the translation that we got a character named Krile in FFXIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That era of fan translations was awesome, though. Aside from FFV we got gems like Bahamut Lagoon, the original Star Ocean, etc.

I'd love to see a similar article about the Tales of Phantasia project. They had to deal with a much larger ROM than almost any other SNES game, and they even went so far as to get people to record the voice acting (ToP actually had voiced lines for all the special moves, plus a fully-voiced theme song, which was pretty advanced for an SNES game). It was really a massive undertaking, and the translation was excellent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I still remember that Breath of Fire II fan translation a while back that filled it with "witty" banty and tons of raunchy innuendo, and everyone including me side-eyed it for looking like a Working Designs wannabe until someone looked up the original script and saw that no, Breath of Fire II was basically Seinfeld and Dick Jokes: The RPG.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Tales of Phantasia project. They had to deal with a much larger ROM than almost any other SNES game, and they even went so far as to get people to record the voice acting (ToP actually had voiced lines for all the special moves, plus a fully-voiced theme song, which was pretty advanced for an SNES game). It was really a massive undertaking, and the translation was excellent.

Yeah, that actually had a more endearing translation than its officially released sequel, Tales of Destiny.

Still can't quite place why I prefer ToD over every other game in that franchise...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, that actually had a more endearing translation than its officially released sequel, Tales of Destiny.

Still can't quite place why I prefer ToD over every other game in that franchise...

I have one on the PSP that I haven't even tried yet. Tales of Eternia I think?

The only ones I've played are Phantasia and Symphonia tbh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

seiferguy posted:

Kotaku just ran a story about the fan translation of FF5 that came out in the late 90s: http://kotaku.com/how-three-kids-beat-the-odds-and-translated-final-fanta-1794628286

Really cool story. I remember playing it on my old iMac, and wondering why such a good game never made it to the states.

Thanks for the link! A solid read, and I especially appreciated the PS1 translation mention.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kelp Me! posted:

That era of fan translations was awesome, though. Aside from FFV we got gems like Bahamut Lagoon, the original Star Ocean, etc.

I'd love to see a similar article about the Tales of Phantasia project. They had to deal with a much larger ROM than almost any other SNES game, and they even went so far as to get people to record the voice acting (ToP actually had voiced lines for all the special moves, plus a fully-voiced theme song, which was pretty advanced for an SNES game). It was really a massive undertaking, and the translation was excellent.

I BET ARCHE FUCKS LIKE A TIGER

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

corn in the bible posted:

I prefer Mint's quiet elegance

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

I still remember that Breath of Fire II fan translation a while back that filled it with "witty" banty and tons of raunchy innuendo, and everyone including me side-eyed it for looking like a Working Designs wannabe until someone looked up the original script and saw that no, Breath of Fire II was basically Seinfeld and Dick Jokes: The RPG.

The initial translation of BoF 2 was awful:

Even 8 year old me knew that it was garbage when I attempted playing it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

quote:

- The original Japanese of Arche's dream does indicate that she's having some kind of sexual dream about Cless, but the language is not as blatant and vulgar as in the translation. (She does start out with "Cless, don't touch me there!")

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
FFXV seems to be running fine on the Pro after the new update so that's good.

Holy :lol: the new fishing tune.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Renoistic posted:

I think a lot of people did the same mistake as I, and focused so much on the quests and hunts that they completely lost track of the story. The story is pretty good and mostly makes sense, but there's very little of it considering the size of the game.

This is exactly what happened to me. I lost the plot at some point and then gave up. I'm kind of having the same issue with ME:A right now

Renoistic posted:

FFXV seems to be running fine on the Pro after the new update so that's good.

Might have to dust this off again

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kelp Me! posted:

Also either Krile was correct from the start or SE was so impressed with the translation that we got a character named Krile in FFXIV

Krile was correct from the start, considering she's called Krile in all official translations of V but Cara in the RPGe fan translation.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Renoistic posted:

The what

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The music that plays when you catch a fish is different, at least if you're doing the current timed quest (catch as many fish as possible). It's hilarious.

https://youtu.be/-_8TaG9cFJM

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 28, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Enough about that, Yojimbo is in Stormblood. I mean, he looks exactly like Yojimbo. Praise glorious Nippon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

The most baffling remake is still the 3D version of The After Years for Steam and Mobile.

Even cutting a lot of fluff, reusing 4DS assets, and skipping voice acting...why?

Because they wanted to be cheap or go with the 'newest' in FF4's case even though the PSP (and GBA) version of FF4 is better than the awful eyesore of the DS's remake.

The FF5 and 6 remakes are inexcusably lazy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FF4 ds is good

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

fridge corn posted:

FF4 ds is good

for once, something I agree with fridge corn on

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Regardless, ff4tay3d is not good

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The corns are speaking logic.

Did anyone else see that horseman go by?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I finally stopped messing around trying to be a completionist in FFX and just went to finish the story. I knew exactly what was going to happen, and, well, did something the game explicitly told me not to... :cry:

That was a drat fine game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because they wanted to be cheap or go with the 'newest' in FF4's case even though the PSP (and GBA) version of FF4 is better than the awful eyesore of the DS's remake.

The FF5 and 6 remakes are inexcusably lazy.

Being fair for 5, from the gameplay footage I've seen the new monster models and spell animations are gorgeous, they just completely and utterly what the bed for the new sprites, which is a shame since it even had the FF5A script and all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fridge corn posted:

FF4 ds is good

A good opinion.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I finally stopped messing around trying to be a completionist in FFX and just went to finish the story. I knew exactly what was going to happen, and, well, did something the game explicitly told me not to... :cry:

That was a drat fine game.

The post game in FFX is a pain in the rear end. You made the right decision.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF4 DS got rid of one of the cool things from the GBA version, which was that you could swap your party around once you returned from the moon for the first time. Who doesn't want to beat Zeromus with a party of Edward, Yang, Cecil, Cid and Kain?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

seiferguy posted:

FF4 DS got rid of one of the cool things from the GBA version, which was that you could swap your party around once you returned from the moon for the first time. Who doesn't want to beat Zeromus with a party of Edward, Yang, Cecil, Cid and Kain?

Didn't they have to make sets of super overpowered equipment to make those guys even be on par with the original guys?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calaveron posted:

Didn't they have to make sets of super overpowered equipment to make those guys even be on par with the original guys?

Sort of. It added another bonus dungeon before the final boss where you could get equipment of... dubious ultimateness? Like, it was good, but nowhere near as good as something like the Artemis Bow or Comet Rod. The real overpowered equipment for the second-stringers was in the postgame.

Their high-level stats (and spell loadouts for Palom and Porom), however, were totally rebalanced. iirc Edward is Onion Knight mode where he continues to suck until level 91, at which point he gets the highest stats in the game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FF4 DS is my favorite version of FF4 and I've always felt like kind of a weirdo for having that opinion. Now that I think about it I was wrong a while ago when I said that FFXIII was the first FF I could think of where buffs and debuffs were such a core part of the game, because FF4 DS at the very least made buffs like Protect, Shell, and Haste absolutely critical.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

There was an extra dungeon added to give penultimate weapons to the others. I don't recall them being unbalanced, but the extras could equip most of the same armor within their character archetypes (i.e. Yang could equip gear the same as Edge, Cid shared with Kain, Palom & Porom with Rydia and Rosa, etc).

And yeah, the last dungeon, which required each person to beat Zeromus to access their special floor, gave OP gear provided you could beat the Guardian of the floor (which was an overpowered summoned monster). Edward had an actual use against Cecil's guardian (Odin), since you could cast a lightning spell, have Edward hide, Odin Zanzetsukens the rest of party to death, then Odin dies from lightning striking his blade.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

FF4 DS is my favorite version of FF4 and I've always felt like kind of a weirdo for having that opinion. Now that I think about it I was wrong a while ago when I said that FFXIII was the first FF I could think of where buffs and debuffs were such a core part of the game, because FF4 DS at the very least made buffs like Protect, Shell, and Haste absolutely critical.

Also because of FFX having really good debuffs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also because of FFX having really good debuffs

How quickly I forget about how crazy good Auron's breaks are

Also breaks full-on break the game in FFXII (at least in IZJS) but I didn't really count those because they're never really necessary like the debuffs are in FFXIII (and Auron's breaks in FFX) except for the last couple of super-boss hunts

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Sort of. It added another bonus dungeon before the final boss where you could get equipment of... dubious ultimateness? Like, it was good, but nowhere near as good as something like the Artemis Bow or Comet Rod. The real overpowered equipment for the second-stringers was in the postgame.

Their high-level stats (and spell loadouts for Palom and Porom), however, were totally rebalanced. iirc Edward is Onion Knight mode where he continues to suck until level 91, at which point he gets the highest stats in the game.

Actually, most of the growths and spell loadouts are straight up from the SNES version, complete with Palom learning almost every spell earlier than Rydia. Most of them needed surprisingly little for that reason, I don't even think you need that dungeon if you're using the mages or Yang, they just join endgame ready even if you hack the SNES version.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a mod to get high def models but keep the steam achievements for FF7? Looked online but I wasn't sure which one to look for.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No joke I would go for another FF4 remake if it combined everything from the DS and GBA version, but if it made the bonus stuff less tedious. The entire GBA postgame dungeon being unlocked from the beginning or unlimited NG+.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Final Fantasy Versus XIII has finally been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFPih0PMoU

Bonus White Sazh pistol-whipping action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pun5fpisWFg&t=35s

... also available in silver hair, for those easily offended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZZdtEnR11w

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Whats the opposite of black face? thats what it is.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I agree, this is definitely whiteass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What the gently caress Square.

(I could post that on every page in this thread and it will always be relevant).