Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ogmius815 posted:

Hahahahaha you think the extreme left wants Obamacare to work.

:wrong:

Most leftists acknowledge ACA is better than what we had, but that it also should be replaced by a single payer system.

If it were to fail, we'd default back to the lovely old paradigm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

There'd be a lot more room for suspicion if this weren't a public event designed to attract financing for healthcare companies. Obama has a vested interest in healthcare companies getting investors so his signature healthcare bill doesn't death-spiral.

his signature healthcare bill is already death spiraling last i heard. the insurance companies were saying they couldn't make money and were pulling out. too bad obama didn't care enough about his signature bill to get a public option in there that would act as competition and help keep the insurance cos honest.

besides, i already told you i think this is just a convenient cover for repaying favors from obama

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 26, 2017

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Ze Pollack posted:

Nah, I don't think it's explicit quid-pro-quo either. It exists in the same grey area all really effective regulatory capture exists in: "it is entirely possible this is just me doing this out of the goodness of my heart, but nobody involved believes for a second you'd be getting this offer if I considered you an enemy."

It doesn't matter what the intent of the organization in question is, when you get right down to it. The result is the same: every politician gets a nice, healthy reminder of what kind of gifts await good girls and boys if they don't piss off the hand that feeds them.

Figuring out an effective way to address this problem is particularly thorny, for which reason the Pragmatic Centrist "ah c'mon it's just how the game is played" brush-off is shockingly effective. Easier to just pretend it's not there.

Thanks, I generally agree with that. Especially that the unwanted influence is more of a systemic, self-reinforcing issue, and not that it is driven by specific intent or long term planning. It's like a financial influence feedback loop.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

his signature healthcare bill is already death spiraling last i heard.

It's not, but Trump can, and probably will, make it death spiral.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Can we go back to "Shattered" chat for a bit because I am still reading it? It's remarkable how spot-on Bill Clinton's advice to Hillary and her staff was after not being president for 17 years and how he was basically treated like a doddering old fool.

I'm considering picking the book up, sounds neat. What kind of advice did Bill offer?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Majorian posted:

It's not, but Trump can, and probably will, make it death spiral.

the insurers stopped claiming it was killing them? i'm not the least bit surprised they were being dishonest moneygrubbers again

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

JeffersonClay posted:

CDSs are not inherently fraudulent, was there any indication that Cantor Fitzgerald was committing fraud, or taking on absurd amounts of risk with the assumption the government would bail them out?

Yes.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ct/pr/indictment-charges-former-cantor-fitzgerald-rmbs-trader-securities-fraud

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

no that was just one guy (the dumb one who was made into a patsy)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Hahahahaha you think the extreme left wants Obamacare to work.

What is the matter with you?:psyduck:

Condiv posted:

the insurers stopped claiming it was killing them? i'm not the least bit surprised they were being dishonest moneygrubbers again

Poitifact had a good rundown last month.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I had this same argument last night on the Trump thread and it was insane. Like, do people need to be explained that the potential / outward appearance of conflicts of interest is bad and often explicitly regulated against?

Defending Obama because it's "a healthcare conference" is like defending Clinton after the transcripts came out by saying "see, she didn't say anything bad!"

It's because centrists are only able to relate to their political leaders as some kind of infallible demigods who deserve unquestioning and eternal loyalty by default and not as people that you can disagree with and criticize in good faith. I guess this is why they like to accuse the left of cultish behaviour, since they always accuse the left of poo poo they do themselves.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Single payer is extreme left, full on communism.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Majorian posted:

What is the matter with you?:psyduck:

Where were you when Willa Rogers and company spent years screaming about Obamacare and praying for it to fail in the healthcare threads?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Wuhao posted:

I'm considering picking the book up, sounds neat. What kind of advice did Bill offer?
Basically that she was completely failing to offer anything to the working class, her messaging was hot garbage, things like that

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

What Obama said doesnt matter. This isn't about catching Obama on a lie.

It clearly does and is to some people.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ogmius815 posted:

Where were you when Willa Rogers and company spent years screaming about Obamacare and praying for it to fail in the healthcare threads?

They were right

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

I was there arguing against her. I think I probably got involved in more verbal scraps with Willa Rogers than anyone else here, between my current handle and my two previous ones. But no one here is arguing that they want Obamacare to fail, and very few people in the "far left" in the U.S., such as it is, want that either.

You sound positively deranged when you generalize like that, when what people are proposing here is completely reasonable.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

I've referenced that indictment multiple times. That wasn't about the financial crisis, he was indicted for actions in 2011. This also blows up the argument that the 400k was a payment to obama for shielding Cantor from prosecution.

Most leftists acknowledge ACA is better than what we had, but that it also should be replaced by a single payer system.

If it were to fail, we'd default back to the lovely old paradigm

It's completely plausible that Obama's appearance at this healthcare conference will promote investment in the corporations which Obamacare needs to remain functional. Maybe we shouldn't reflexively poo poo on it.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 26, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

JeffersonClay posted:

It's completely plausible that Obama's appearance at this healthcare conference will promote investment in the corporations which Obamacare needs to remain functional. Maybe we shouldn't reflexively poo poo on it.

It's also completely plausible he could have done it for free if this were the case

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

I've referenced that indictment multiple times. That wasn't about the financial crisis, he was indicted for actions in 2011. This also blows up the argument that the 400k was a payment to obama for shielding Cantor from prosecution.

:laffo: sorry, but obama shielding cantor from crimes committed in 2011 doesn't blow up the argument that he's being rewarded for a job well done protecting wall street from its many scandals

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

:laffo: sorry, but obama shielding cantor from crimes committed in 2011 doesn't blow up the argument that he's being rewarded for a job well done protecting wall street from its many scandals

It's not a theory. Dude is barely out of office and was already a loving centrist neoliberal bank dick sucker.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm sure that cantor will meet justice for defrauding people after obama passed the case off to trump.

cantor is definitely not rewarding obama for holding off on their case until it will not be prosecuted at all

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh so Obamacare wasn't a huge get for the insurance companies? Tell me more about Hillary For President 2016 lol. I'm with her.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Black Baby Goku posted:

It's not a theory. Dude is barely out of office and was already a loving centrist neoliberal bank dick sucker.

i don't disagree. obama gave the banks everything they wanted and is being rewarded for it now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

i don't disagree. obama gave the banks everything they wanted and is being rewarded for it now

Let me spin it:

Obama had a wonderful working relationship with the drivers of economic growth.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

why is obamacare so fragile we have to find investors for it constantly? is it gonna fall over the next time we have a recession and investment dries up?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

It's also completely plausible he could have done it for free if this were the case

Yes, everyone who has ever been paid to do a good thing could theoretically have done it for free. There are bad optics here, but part of the reason the optics are bad is ideological opponents stripping his speech of all context. Wall Street paid obama to give a speech which will help Obamacare remain functional !!!

Condiv posted:

He didn't shield them his justice department indicted him you dolt.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If FDR proposed the second Bill of Rights today, how would liberals respond?

• The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
  • The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
  • The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
  • The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
  • The right of every family to a decent home;
  • The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
  • The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
  • The right to a good education.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, everyone who has ever been paid to do a good thing could theoretically have done it for free. There are bad optics here, but part of the reason the optics are bad is ideological opponents stripping his speech of all context. Wall Street paid obama to give a speech which will help Obamacare remain functional !!!

lol A) this is assumed context B) Even if its true, the Insurance companies will massively profit C) None of what you said negates the fact that an ex-president shouldn't accept cash for using his former office for clout

Fansy posted:

• The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
  • The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
  • The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
  • The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
  • The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
  • The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

Only if none of them are allowed to have nice things except the people in number 4, subsistence only!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fansy posted:

stalinism

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

He didn't shield them his justice department indicted him you dolt.

indictment is the first step, not equivalent to a guilty verdict, and the indictment was made after he knew trump was coming to the WH. do you honestly think trump's DoJ is actually gonna prosecute? :lol:

i'm sure it's just a coincidence that it took 5 years to indict cantor.

no guilty verdict means cantor gets away scott-free. I'd call that shielded and a job well done.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 26, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

The pre-ACA healthcare system was functional. Jim Crow was functional. If 'functional' is your standard you may as well drop the pretense and admit you don't believe in a single one of the goals of liberals or the left more broadly, and that you're just here to troll Bernie voters

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Fansy posted:

Probably say it was pie in the sky full communism now, maybe you'll get a hot take on Sanders too.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

Of all the ideological conflicts to have, this is the least ideological. Being against cozy relationships between politicians and big business should not be ideological. It is not something that should just 'anger the Sanders wing'. Everyone should be bothered by this kind of thing (and, in fact, most people who are not devoted to specific politicians/parties do get bothered by it).

This is one of the most insidious ideas that Democrats had in 2016, the notion that legitimate criticism of them is just 'leftism'. People said this all the time about leftists/Bernie bros to pretend that Clinton's issues in the primary were not going to follow her to the general (they did).

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Fansy posted:

The Democrats would reach across the isle to the Republican party and together would do everything in their power to have the man impeached and removed from office.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

hmm, something tells me you're being disingenuous as usual

Attaboy! drat I'm willing to burn Kansas but you want to burn anyone who beans, corn, and other agriculture to Mexico.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, everyone who has ever been paid to do a good thing could theoretically have done it for free.
No many people who have been paid to do a good thing are people who don't have millions of dollars and a lifetime pension worth millions more, and therefore require payment to live, so Obama is in a relatively unusual position of being able to do arbitrary amounts of work (like 2 hours in this case) for free.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Fansy posted:

Lol get this kind of commie poo poo out of here.

FDR? More Like Fuckin' Dick Roach

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

Attaboy! drat I'm willing to burn Kansas but you want to burn anyone who beans, corn, and other agriculture to Mexico.

you sure love republican trade bills and republican policies a bunch. you sure you're not a republican?

also, our subsidized agriculture has nuked mexico's agriculture, causing the immigration crisis. imo that's a bad thing

all nafta's ever been good for is pitting the poor of mexico against the poor of america to drive down wages

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

a simple query for the extremist dirtbag leftists itt: if obama is taking this money unethically then why, praytell, havent the pupils of his eyes transformed into giant cartoon $$'s? just curious

• Locked thread