Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The only thing worse than the India special is all the specials that followed the India special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Grand Tour is basically the same as what happened when Community noticed everyone loved the paintball episodes and tried to do similar things every week. It just doesn't work that way.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I always loved the video of Patrese ignoring his wife:
https://youtu.be/bpo8RDyOEWY

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The Ford vs. Ferrari at Le Mans segment that they did was pretty great though.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Ricardo Patrese MWDC 2008

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Exactly! It was great because they'd semi-sincerely review million dollar cars, then build a space shuttle. And they did enough real shenanigans (like killing Hammond) that you were never quite sure what not to believe, even though you knew tons of it was scripted. Now it completely lacks any nuance or heart. I saw another segment last season where we were supposed to believe Hammond and May were knocking down Clarkson's house. It was just so bad and pointless.

My absolute favourite bit ever and the single best Top Gear segment of all time was the 1500 GPB Porsche challenge. Everything in that segment was genuine and the poo poo they went through was hilarious. There was very little scripting (or if there was it was very expertly masked) and a lot of fun to watch.

The other good one was the Veyron vs. Plane challenge.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

The Grand Tour is basically the same as what happened when Community noticed everyone loved the paintball episodes and tried to do similar things every week. It just doesn't work that way.

I stopped watching The GT after the 3rd episode. Yes, it was cool to have "the boys" back, but holy poo poo it was so scripted and bad it gave me a brain aneurysm. Also, that one episode where they did the military training exercise and kept dying was so cringe-worthy, almost as much as the guests dying when they come on the show. IMO they need to fix a lot of poo poo for season 2 because they got totally lost in the sauce.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

My absolute favourite bit ever and the single best Top Gear segment of all time was the 1500 GPB Porsche challenge. Everything in that segment was genuine and the poo poo they went through was hilarious. There was very little scripting (or if there was it was very expertly masked) and a lot of fun to watch.

This may come as some surprise to you but it is my favorite as well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that one is great.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It helped alot that as a child in the mid 90s my dad thought it was a super cool idea to buy an old Beetle and daily drive it. I can't remember what the first episode I saw was but I remember just just yelling "holy poo poo that happened to my dad's beetle too" to my friend every time something happened.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually sorta surprised by the 928s relative reliability for the price. Imagine a $2500 Canadian 928?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Even a functional 944 in that price range would be a big ask.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen some really clapped out but running 924s in that range.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I wanted a 944 for the longest time and yeah Canadian ones are scary for that price if you're lucky to find any. Decent examples I could find are all around 10k and turbo ones in good condition add on another 10k. So if you're looking to buy an almost 30 year old car for 20k then all the power to you. Otherwise I'd just go for a 911.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah the market here is just stupid and it's why I ended up getting a FC RX7.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I've seen some really clapped out but running 924s in that range.

If the 924 came with L Jetronic I'd probably would've taken a bite at one. But I drove for five years with K Jetronic and it's an absolutely nightmare to get it running correctly.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love FCs but they really are one of the most blatant knockoff cars ever, especially the earlier ones (taillights). That being said they are really rad; I remember being infatuated with a neighbors all white '88 Turbo II when I was really young, my uncle has a same year GXL.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 26, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I am pretty straight forward with the fact that I bought that thing specifically because it looks like a 924/944 and wasn't going to be as much of a headache to maintain. I was actually looking for a winter beater when I saw the ad.

Having said that the hood scoop on the Turbo II looks absolutely hideous.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Mods!!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I see nothing wrong here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I am pretty straight forward with the fact that I bought that thing specifically because it looks like a 924/944 and wasn't going to be as much of a headache to maintain. I was actually looking for a winter beater when I saw the ad.

I'm going to have to disagree, as I am a fan of offset hoodscoops.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hoodscoops in general tend to be really bad looking except in certain situations, mostly because they look like they were slapped on out of no where instead of taking effort to make it look good.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I just took a gander at Tony "The Vagina Handler" Montana's rap sheet and holy cow, that is hilarious. Dude really is an autist.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GramCracker posted:

I just took a gander at Tony "The Vagina Handler" Montana's rap sheet and holy cow, that is hilarious. Dude really is an australian.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm going to have to disagree, as I am a fan of offset hoodscoops.

Oh my god I didn't even realise it's off to the side. That's awful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

I just took a gander at Tony "The Vagina Handler" Montana's rap sheet and holy cow, that is hilarious. Dude really is an autist.

Yeah. He's a unique guy

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

I think this was a low point for Tony and he's definitely turning his life around after this. I eagerly await his return.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8OlHV1BSJE

:whitewater:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Did it break off at the gearbox or at the point where they sewed two V6s together?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy poo poo :stonk:

I thought F1 and Indy tubs are loving strong today, and even then that's not a crash to sneeze at by any means. He's loving lucky as all hell.

Sadly, F4 doesn't have the same standard :smith:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Basticle posted:

This is a bad opinion. Both shows are great.

This is a bad opinion and you should feel bad for expressing it. The Grand Tour was an utterly appalling display of having an unlimited budget and making terrible television.

On another cup, would F1 be better if - get this - we knocked aero on the head and reduced the formula to mechanical grip only? Aero is as much about going quick in clean air as it is about hamstringing your competitors behind you in the dirty air.

Also, I drink on school nights. So my opinions are probably garbage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Footworks FA12: The Toblerone of F1 cars.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

iospace posted:

Holy poo poo :stonk:

I thought F1 and Indy tubs are loving strong today, and even then that's not a crash to sneeze at by any means. He's loving lucky as all hell.

Sadly, F4 doesn't have the same standard :smith:

:lol: "the car was a write-off" no loving poo poo, mate

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

That didn't even look like a high speed impact. Christ.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

More like a Terry's chocolate orange.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Ron level synergy in that you have a poo poo chocolate and a poo poo car. :discourse:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Yeah. He's a unique guy

From reading a few of the random probation posts/threads what's amazing, and not surprising, is his reputation is literally exactly the same across the entire forums.

1500quidporsche posted:

I think this was a low point for Tony and he's definitely turning his life around after this. I eagerly await his return.

Can't wait for that Alain Prost retort he owes ya. I'm already getting buckled in for that posting ride.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dont doxx me

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Anonymouse Mook posted:

This was great. Which also lead me to this. I know I've been partially beaten, but gently caress it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2s_i3yktCA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Probefahrt

• Locked thread