Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Fojar38 posted:

It's really loving funny that China is building carriers even though it has zero strategic use for them whatsoever

Right now, yeah, but they presumably want to start loving around in South Asia and Africa some more in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Think anyone will tell that guy that his son is British too and he doesn't need to overstay his visa while his wife goes walk about(lol)?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Think anyone will tell that guy that his son is British too and he doesn't need to overstay his visa while his wife goes walk about(lol)?

No, because no one should help idiots that big.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

peak debt posted:

Right now, yeah, but they presumably want to start loving around in South Asia and Africa some more in the future.

China's already got a huge strategic footprint in Africa, so that should be exciting times once they get colonial urgings

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Chinese movie titles for western movies suck. They are way too direct are basically spoilers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ocrumsprug posted:

Depends if he's applied for the passport yet. You need a fair bit of paperwork, some of which takes a couple of weeks at least to order from the UK Govt. (long form versions of your mother and father's birth certificates) and then a few more weeks for it to arrive after that.

E: Take a look at the guy's post history on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/user/ajmc12

He's shooting up steroids too, seems like he makes all sort of good life decisions.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 26, 2017

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Haeir needs to make friends with this guy

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Ron Darling posted:

China's already got a huge strategic footprint in Africa, so that should be exciting times once they get colonial urgings

But I'm pretty sure they would get the poo poo kicked out of them if they ever tried to start any real fights down there.

Why would you let your baby become a Chinese citizen rather than an affluent Western country? Why?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nickmeister posted:

But I'm pretty sure they would get the poo poo kicked out of them if they ever tried to start any real fights down there.

Why would you let your baby become a Chinese citizen rather than an affluent Western country? Why?

Eh they won't start fights necessarily, they'll just invest huge amounts of money and then one day be "lol you our bitches now we own every single resource extraction company in your country"

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Baronjutter posted:

lol 2020. I chuckle every time I read or hear that year now thanks to like a decade or more of it being the prophesied date of China's inevitable rise to global superpower status. Everything in china will be done or good or fixed or better by 2020, give or take. if not, just have a rest.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I like how "Ban Coal Use" and "Increase Coal Capacity" are simultaneous propaganda goals.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

nickmeister posted:

Chinese movie titles for western movies suck. They are way too direct are basically spoilers.

Go on.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Ceciltron posted:

I like how "Ban Coal Use" and "Increase Coal Capacity" are simultaneous propaganda goals.

My favourite is "China to import ten million tons of meat" right next to "China to beef up nuclear submarines". I'm easily pleased.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

"China to do absolutely everything even if they contradict each other by 2020"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Ron Darling posted:

Eh they won't start fights necessarily, they'll just invest huge amounts of money and then one day be "lol you our bitches now we own every single resource extraction company in your country"

“Oops, 'rebels' just took over your factories and killed all of your managers. What's that? All of your military personnel are only trained in the art of beating up dehydrated chain smokers?"

For instance "Leon the Professional" becomes "Leon the Professional Assassin," or in Hong Kong "This Killer isn't bad at all!" A more recent example is the movie "Life" which becomes "Alien life and intelligence."

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How did they spin starwars? "Benevolent Empire puts down rebellion"?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
"Star Wars" is pretty straight forward. But most of the "Star Trek" translations makes it sound like it's about an interstellar war instead of people exploring and playing nice with foreigners.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
All the star trek I ever watched involved fighting and acts of war.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

All the star trek I ever watched involved fighting and acts of war.

I take it you only watched the movies then.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chomp8645 posted:

I take it you only watched the movies then.

And not the movie with the whales, since IIRC the only fighting there is between Spock and some punk on a bus.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

No offense but you're insanely ignorant about Mandarin phonology and don't know what you are talking about. Pinyin is very good at certain things, namely it is extremely systematic and regular. It is good at representing all the phonemes and having a very systematic romanization that someone already literate in another language can learn in roughly a few weeks and be able to read anything without guesswork.
Like I said, I just looked up the Wade-Giles system and it covers everything that Pinyin does. Go take a look at the wiki page if you don't believe me. They're both extremely systematic and regular, within their own systems.

quote:

The choice of /x/ or /qi/ could be considered poor choices, but "why not ch?" because /ch/ is already being used for another phoneme? It can't be used for both. They probably could have found letters that were more obvious to native English speakers, but are those necessarily going to be better for native speakers of other languages? Are they going to be any better for native Chinese speakers?

zh, ch, sh, are the retroflex versions of z, c, and s. This is why they did it, any of those with an /h/ after indicates it's a retroflex, and this choice helps show that these sounds are very closely related to each other with one single difference (being retroflex).
I understand all of this, but my point wasn't so much about what they should be, but rather the fact that what they are is completely bonkers. Instead of using the completely arbitrary q/x they could have added a ' or some other symbol to ch/sh. Just because I don't have a great solution doesn't mean I can't point out that the current one is terrible.

quote:

See above, if you did /ts/ then the retroflex (ch) would have to be /tsch/, which isn't inherently bad but it's a lot of consonants clustered together. The "i" thing is just your native language biasing you; there is no "ur," /shi/ is simply the exactly same thing as /si/ but with the tongue in retroflex position. Lips and teeth and voicing etc. are all exactly the same between the two sounds. It's the exact same difference between /su/ and /shu/, you think they should use another confusing set of letters just because native English speakers think it sounds like "ur"?
You're drawing a comparison between si and shi, but now compare with qi/xi/ji. For those, Pinyin uses the letter "i" in a way that's consistent with how it's commonly used in many languages that natively use the Roman alphabet. For ci/si/zi/shi/chi/zhi it makes a completely different vowel sound, one that is never represented with "i" in a Western language. So not only is it an arbitrary choice, but one that's internally inconsistent. Sure, you could argue that when you pronounce "shi" in Mandarin you're not actually ending a word with the same exact "ur" phoneme that's found in English, but that's still a much closer representation than "i". Actually this reminds me of a time I replied "yeah, sure" to my Chinese housemate, and she was certain I was saying 也是.

Magna Kaser posted:

You're under the misconception Hanyu Pinyin was designed as both a romanization system and a pronunciation tool specifically for English speaking westerners when it is neither.

This I didn't know. However if that's the case, what's the point of even using the Roman alphabet in the first place? As a teaching tool for native Chinese speakers, something like Pinyin is only going to confuse them later when they try to learn English, or any other language that uses the alphabet.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I will give you the /i/ thing representing a different vowel, that is a good argument I hadn't thought of. It's likely done that way because there is sound in mandarin of the i in qi + the z in zi, so rather than using another letter entirely or some accent mark, they just left it as /i/. I can't say with any authority if this is good or bad, confusing or not. In my experience it doesn't confuse anyone.

What DOES confuse native English speakers at least about pinyin is stuff like /x/ vs /sh/, /q/ vs /ch/, etc. and I think there is inherently no way around this. You can argue one one side that the "arbitrary" letters are extremely confusing and poorly indicate the actual sound, but I would argue that native English speakers simply cannot hear the difference between these sounds anyway and typically just fuse all these sounds--and more--together. Go into a first or second semester Mandarin class and listen to people pronouncing "xue" vs. "shui," many students pronounce it exactly the same. Writing it as "Tsue" or something wouldn't actually help, the students just hear /x/ and /sh/ as the same sound because English doesn't have those sounds.

The argument for using arbitrary letters in this case is that it can help some students more easily realize that these are "foreign" sounds and actually quite different from each other. For me personally this helped a lot when I was learning. I kept hearing the sounds as the same, but the letters being so different made me really look in and set me to realize that these must actually be different sounds that I need to listen more closely to.

I personally think adding in ' or something to indicate retroflex would be bad because they already have tone marks and umlauts in there. They end up almost never using those, but they are used in textbooks. Imagine seeing "lǜc'á" for 绿茶

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

nickmeister posted:

“Oops, 'rebels' just took over your factories and killed all of your managers. What's that? All of your military personnel are only trained in the art of beating up dehydrated chain smokers?"

While that is totally possible, and likely to happen some time in the future, I think the more common scenario will be. . .

"Hello Beijing! We just nationalized every single thing you own/bought in our country. Get lit fuckos!" - Random African leader after the latest election/coup

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Chinese way of building stuff in Africa is to bring everything from materials to engineers to work teams to even the train conductors onsite from China. The locals are well aware that while new infrastructure is real nice, in the end they're getting shafted in the deal as the new train lines and ports exist only to ship their natural wealth off to China while locals have been kept in the dark about operating the new systems. I'd give it the five to ten years it takes to train locals to use the equipment until someone feels confident to pull the rug under the feet of the Chinese: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/06/next-stop-the-red-sea-ethiopia-opens-chinese-built-railway-to-djibouti

quote:

However when the line is fully functional, uniformed Chinese controllers will welcome passengers to the spotless platforms of newly built stations all along the route, while Chinese technicians and stationmasters will keep things running behind the scenes.

“We don’t yet have the management experience yet. We have a management contract with Chinese staff for five years, with an Ethiopian counterpart in training,” said Getachew.

China has invested heavily in infrastructure in Ethiopia, funding sub-Saharan Africa’s first modern tramway – which opened in Addis Ababa last year – as well as motorways and dams.

The new $3.4bn railway, with its red, yellow and green trains evoking the Ethiopian flag, was 70% financed by China’s Exim Bank and built by China Railway Group and China Civil Engineering Construction.

A high-level Chinese delegation, in Addis Ababa for the inauguration of the railway, on Tuesday signed further agreements worth $100m for the construction of roads, the state-controlled Fana Broadcasting Corporation reported.

Natural resources from Africa have helped fuel China’s economic boom, and it became the continent’s largest trade partner in 2009.

However, direct investment in Africa slumped more than 40% last year, as growth slowed in the Asian giant.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

The old Korean lady in my class has a ziplock bag of stale cornflakes and is giving them out one at a time to people who are too awkward to say no thanks.

american doctors invented the corn flake do you know

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I look forward to new and interesting ways to cheat at marathons with Chinese characteristics.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barbecue at the folks posted:

The Chinese way of building stuff in Africa is to bring everything from materials to engineers to work teams to even the train conductors onsite from China. The locals are well aware that while new infrastructure is real nice, in the end they're getting shafted in the deal as the new train lines and ports exist only to ship their natural wealth off to China while locals have been kept in the dark about operating the new systems. I'd give it the five to ten years it takes to train locals to use the equipment until someone feels confident to pull the rug under the feet of the Chinese: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/06/next-stop-the-red-sea-ethiopia-opens-chinese-built-railway-to-djibouti

I wonder what if investing in Africa was a ploy to get money out of China?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

big time bisexual posted:

it's no wonder why kan re nao is a thing

https://my.mixtape.moe/qsludn.mp4

Hillbillies really are the same all over the world

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

I will give you the /i/ thing representing a different vowel, that is a good argument I hadn't thought of. It's likely done that way because there is sound in mandarin of the i in qi + the z in zi, so rather than using another letter entirely or some accent mark, they just left it as /i/. I can't say with any authority if this is good or bad, confusing or not. In my experience it doesn't confuse anyone.

What DOES confuse native English speakers at least about pinyin is stuff like /x/ vs /sh/, /q/ vs /ch/, etc. and I think there is inherently no way around this. You can argue one one side that the "arbitrary" letters are extremely confusing and poorly indicate the actual sound, but I would argue that native English speakers simply cannot hear the difference between these sounds anyway and typically just fuse all these sounds--and more--together. Go into a first or second semester Mandarin class and listen to people pronouncing "xue" vs. "shui," many students pronounce it exactly the same. Writing it as "Tsue" or something wouldn't actually help, the students just hear /x/ and /sh/ as the same sound because English doesn't have those sounds.

The argument for using arbitrary letters in this case is that it can help some students more easily realize that these are "foreign" sounds and actually quite different from each other. For me personally this helped a lot when I was learning. I kept hearing the sounds as the same, but the letters being so different made me really look in and set me to realize that these must actually be different sounds that I need to listen more closely to.

I personally think adding in ' or something to indicate retroflex would be bad because they already have tone marks and umlauts in there. They end up almost never using those, but they are used in textbooks. Imagine seeing "lǜc'á" for 绿茶

I guess my big issue with the whole x/q/c thing is that it's very prone to causing not just mildly incorrect but absolutely ridiculous mispronunciations when encountered by random laymen unfamiliar with Chinese. Instead of people simply conflating retroflex sounds with alveolar sounds, now you've got people pronouncing Chongqing like "chongkwing". If a Westerner just said "chongching" it wouldn't technically be correct, but it would still be relatively understandable. I realize that if we're considering Pinyin as nothing but a tool for Mandarin speakers, this isn't a concern*, but then my argument would be that it shouldn't be used as the standard Romanization system among Westerners, but for some reason it is.

*Even though it won't be a concern for Mandarin speakers when it comes to pronouncing Mandarin words spelled in Pinyin, as I mentioned in my previous post I can only imagine having these associations ingrained in one's head before learning English will add an extra layer of difficulty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So in :lol: bitcoin news, the chinese manufacturer of antminers (which represent approx 70% of all hashing power on the bitcoin network) have a remote backdoor installed via firmware and phone home every 1-11 minutes. They can be bricked via this. iirc, the manufacturer of antminers also owns the largest mining pool in china and the world.

https://www.antbleed.com

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
gently caress pinyin, China should just use the IPA.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sure sure sure

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I remember when I volunteered to help chinese esl students practice conversationot. They were shocked to learn that children in america didn't learn the ipa system. "But how do they know how to pronounce the words?" Wtf it's their own language.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

This I didn't know. However if that's the case, what's the point of even using the Roman alphabet in the first place? As a teaching tool for native Chinese speakers, something like Pinyin is only going to confuse them later when they try to learn English, or any other language that uses the alphabet.

Zhou Youguang, the dude who lead the team that developed Pinyin, goes into this in his very good book on the history of the Chinese language. IIRC (it's been a while since I read it) said they tried a lot of things like going back to invented glyphs like zhuyin fuhao and even making their own entirely new set of symbols. However, at the end of the day because Pinyin was a system for pronunciation to help Chinese people pronounce Chinese, and not intended to explicitly be a learning tool for non-Chinese speakers, a way to replace characters entirely, or (at the time) even a romanization system, they used Latin characters because they were already made, time-tested and ubiquitous. The romanization thing happened almost immediately after it was developed but wasn't really one of their mission statements.

Cyrillic was discussed and tbh I don't remember if he gives a reason why specifically it wasn't chosen, but by the late 50's Mao and Stalin's relationship was already on the rocks so I'd guess that was a non-trivial factor. Zhou himself lived in Western Europe and the USA before WW2 and the Chinese Civil War so he was also probably just partial to Latin letters on that as well.

The "messes up them learning English (but also any language that uses latin letters)" also a common argument you hear, but in 1955 China "What will happen when in a couple decades English is the lingua franca??" probably wasn't high on their list.

You know all the big hits like Stealing Dream Space, Flying House Adventure Around the World, Emotion Secret Service, The Unmatched King of Destruction, or One Night, Big Belly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

It makes me laugh at how China has such a incompetent poorly built empire.

The Romans were assholes but they sure built their stuff to last with things like their roads systems still being in use thousands of years later.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

etalian posted:

It makes me laugh at how China has such a incompetent poorly built empire.

The Romans were assholes but they sure built their stuff to last with things like their roads systems still being in use thousands of years later.

It's not incompetence. They are loathe to let "foreigners" on the inside. Even if it's not even in their own country.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Magna Kaser posted:

You know all the big hits like Stealing Dream Space, Flying House Adventure Around the World, Emotion Secret Service, The Unmatched King of Destruction, or One Night, Big Belly.

I'm a big fan of Hot Handed God of Cops.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

SIX aircraft carriers by 2020. One every six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
It's become a pet peeve of mine the way Chinese people talk about "国“ specifically meaning "China."

It has a few really obnoxious ramifications for daily conversation outside China. I'm in the US and almost all of my interactions in Chinese are with other Chinese people who are often American citizens in the US.

They will say someone they are talking about is a 外国人, which is "foreigner," but should REALLY be translated to mean "non-Chinese." Because 国 (country) means, of course, CHINAR. So the word "foreigner," which is normally useful as a catch-all term for "people not from the place that we are in now," because useless since it just means "non-Chinese." You then hear this stupid poo poo like 他不是本地人 which means like "native of this land," and this is a necessary phrase to use because 国 without another country's name in front of it always 100% of the time can only refer to China and nowhere else.

You could potentially call this hair-splitting and just argue that Chinese has different words for these different concepts and you don't need a 1:1 relationship between the words. "Barbarians" used to be a similar word like this in Greek that just meant "uncivilized people not from Greece."

Where it gets really ridiculous to me is the word "Domestic," which in Chinese is technically 国内. I think there is technically a way to use this word in a way that actually works how you want it, but 95% of the time I see or hear it, it means "within China." Words like "GDP," "civil war," etc. all use 国内 because it just means "within (a) country," but since China is so incredibly self-centered, it tends to take on an automatic meaning of meaning "within China."

Here is a good example I found on NCIKU:

国内制片应该一同致力推展国内电影
They translate this to:
China's producers make a concerted effort to promote locally made movies.

Notice there is no 中国 (China) written in that text, it's just two instances of 国内. The first one is translated to "China's," the second is translated to "locally (made)."

I'll hear Chinese people here in the U.S. talking about some product or whatever and say "Yeah I got it 国内," or "This is a 国内 manufactured phone," and this doesn't mean "domestically" or "within the country we are in right now," it means "Back in China."

To actually say "domestically" in the US you basically just have to say 美国的 to specify the specific country, just like you have to specify the nationality of any "foreigner" since you can't use the word "outside of the country we are in," because that word "country" is reserved for China no matter how long you are out of China.

I don't know why this annoys me so much, but I think it could be because it shows a complete lack of mental adjustment. You come here and become a citizen because you realize the quality of life is way better and you can have a better life here, but you form these bubbles of Chinese people who all point at people who are from here and call them 'foreigners,' and talk about stuff all the way from China as 'domestic.'

• Locked thread