Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

AmeriACQas Most Wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Personally as an employee for a localization company I feel it is not in our best interests to actually translate Japanese text because it dilutes the purity of the experience and is basically censorship.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

KKKawaii amirite?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that forums post ranks just below this thread as the worst thing I've ever read but considering xseeds translations are best in business whatever they're doing is obviously working for them

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cake Attack posted:

that forums post ranks just below this thread as the worst thing I've ever read but considering xseeds translations are best in business whatever they're doing is obviously working for them

XSeed is good but that one guy is just known for never, ever picking his battles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mycot posted:

XSeed is good but that one guy is just known for never, ever picking his battles.

ImpAtom's dark twin...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

ImpAtom's dark twin...

I pick my battles sometimes. :smith:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

I'm not gonna lie, I first read this as crazy bus.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Policenaut posted:

Drive Girls of all loving things is getting localized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftD46AKv5w

Currently Euro-exclusive, due out May 26th on BOTH physical and digital formats. I'm shocked this is getting a physical run.

kirbysuperstar posted:

God bless the Vita.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least the soundtrack is suitably eurobeat-y for a Japanese car game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think having a guy who can play devil's advocate is important when you're dealing with stuff that's as touch-and-go and subjective as localization, but, there's playing devil's advocate and then there's 'lol kkk'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i think having a guy who can play devil's advocate is important when you're dealing with stuff that's as touch-and-go and subjective as localization, but, there's playing devil's advocate and then there's 'lol kkk'

Yeah, there's noting wrong with playing devil's advocate. A good localization should have people arguing from both directions on everything. If anything having too many people with the exact same mindset is harmful because you get echo-chambery about what is/isn't good and you can't do that with a mass media product.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think the worst/most funny part of the post is how "lol KKK" was apparently met with "wtf is wrong with you" from his colleagues, so it's entirely possible that everyone thinks Tom is crazy and bad but consider him important enough of an asset to keep. Like, if he's contributed a lot to their current localization dialogue decisions, then he's definitely important, but dying on the hill of "underage girls are fine, as are politically charged acronyms" is so bafflingly dumb that I can't help wondering what he does that makes him worth keeping.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Asking the question "should we change this or leave this the same" and debating it is definitely important. Posting that thing about lol kkk in a public forum is maybe not a great idea. At the very best, I guess it's getting ahead of the argument they might see from particularly unsavory fans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can see how this COULD be a complicated topic - if they'd demanded the sign be changed and if it was actually important to the plot in some way, for instance. like hypothetically if KKK was an important acronym in the game's lore, and XSeed had kicked up a big fuss against a relatively small JP company that might not have the resources to change a lot of things on such short notice. That'd be an issue with some nuance.

Instead he kicked up a fuss over basically nothing without getting the full story, and now noted youtube channel censored gaming is going to do a big video about how SJWs are ruining the work of japanese auteurs and ugh.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Games WERE art...until XSeed
(a freeze of my disgusted face)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the name Xseed is just censorship of Exceed when you really think about it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

Instead he kicked up a fuss over basically nothing without getting the full story, and now noted youtube channel censored gaming is going to do a big video about how SJWs are ruining the work of japanese auteurs and ugh.

I think this is the worst part. This big ol' nothingburger basically riled up a bunch of idiots. I mean, these people are going to try and mod JonTron's lines back into Yooka-Laylee, basically reversing a decision by the developers, which would presumably go against the spirit of things, but you know, critical thinking isn't a strong point for that crowd.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

Pretty sure that last part is just paranoia. Didn't you even install plug-ins just to block them? Fretting over your sworn enemies isn't good for your health.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

Pretty sure that last part is just paranoia. Didn't you even install plug-ins just to block them? Fretting over your sworn enemies isn't good for your health.
i installed plug-ins to block a variety of youtube channels, including that one.

not to mention it isn't really about censored gaming the channel, it's just the atmosphere in general. people freak out over every little change these days and i dont like the idea of random TLers getting death threats or at least weird tweets just because one dude had a weird meltdown about a random sign in a bad game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ban youtube

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
After reading about what a nothing his stand was made about, this looks like some major self-sabotaging. It sucks that it's going to cause some grief for other translators though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

every and all discussion about translation is already so reactive and virulent that I can't anything surrounding this is going to be remotely out of the norm

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If it wasn't for localization and dubbing we would have never gotten Yuri Lowenthal's perfect uttering of "What the gently caress" in the True Demon Ending of noted Good Game Catherine so all localizations and dubs are justified.

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil
Localization isn't always perfect but it's better than listening to shut ins complain about how the integrity of a work has been ruined because a translator had to change one letter of a characters name

also its better than leaving in a reference to the KKK cause you thought it was funny

Martian Buddy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If they really cared they would learn japanese IMO. Or whatever language you want to experience untranslated. This isn't really relevant at all but Hell I figured I'd post it

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
From Tom's thread

:laffo:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

do you want to be UNLIKABLE in the eyes of your COWORKERS at XSEED?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
KKK XSEED?!!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kirbysuperstar posted:

From Tom's thread

:laffo:

That entire thread is infuriating.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

did tom just feel like the censored gaming creeps were running out of stuff to harass people about? is that why he decided to toss them a bucket of chum?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Takoluka posted:

That entire thread is infuriating.

more like hilarious

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Sea Sponge Run posted:

more like hilarious

We all have our ways to spell out "pathetic".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

more like hilarious

Yes, it is that too, because these people exist and it's baffling. At the same time, though, it's just going to make things worse for localizers, because there are people who literally believe that Tom is now actually doing PR damage control for XSEED, who tried to make the change behind Acquire's back. I don't understand how we got to this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst part is they can't even fire the guy because the moment they do it'll blow up even more than it already has. what an incompetent tool.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

the worst part is they can't even fire the guy because the moment they do it'll blow up even more than it already has. what an incompetent tool.

I am sorry for doubting you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

I am sorry for doubting you.

I hope you learned your lesson.

Because Tom sure didn't.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well at least they found a way to get people to actually care about akibas beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No one on this earth could possibly care about Akiba's Beat.