Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

hyperhazard posted:

I had to pick out Hindu wedding cards online a couple years back, and every other one had a loving swastika on it. We gave the kids coloring pages during the wedding, and I had to photoshop out a swastika on Ganesh's forehead. And then I showed up to the ceremony and--swear to god--someone had drawn a swastika on a sticky note and put it on the offering plate because god forbid we not have one at the wedding.

What I'm saying is, I'm blown away at how much it's just not a thing outside of axis/ally countries.

But this is spot on:

Don't go to Bali, there's swastikas everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I like to remove Stars of David from synagogues because that symbol has been discredited by its use by the Nazis.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

shut up

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

trapped mouse posted:

There was a mod Butt Wizard that wanted a Andy Warhol style image of the get out frog to be made into an avatar sized gif. He was planning on giving it to posters that sucked, telling them to get out, but he liked the gif so much that he made it his own avatar. Some other people still received it.

Does anyone have a link to the video that was just a flashing version of this with some silly music over the top?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

Does anyone have a link to the video that was just a flashing version of this with some silly music over the top?

This?

This one is the best :frogout: video though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Is there a story behind :holymoley:? It's amazing but it occurs to me I've never heard where it's from.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

This?

It's more specific, but I've always been a fan of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Butt Wizard was Eggplant Wizard btw they weren't separate mods she just name changed for a while

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

anyone know the story behind "plape"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pilchenstein posted:

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Udjk6gIspE

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sneakyfrog posted:

as you wish (not mine just yoinked at some time from the forums at some point)

That should be called :rhubarb:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Is there any way that the smilies can be made to slightly overlap?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Explain?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pierzak posted:

Explain?

It means "general indistinct muttering from a crowd"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rhubarb_rhubarb

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It means "general indistinct muttering from a crowd"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rhubarb_rhubarb
So it's not only a plant. Thanks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

haveblue posted:

This?

Those are both good but it's this one...
... that I was after.

Cheers both of you. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sebmojo posted:

Fine, fine, fine.

Actually surprised the Wiktionary article doesn't note that it's been around all the way back to at least The Goon Show as a general radio show thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

The high resolution version prints out very nicely.
Got a link?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like the "rabble rabble" from Blazing Saddles. This Wikipedia page says rhubarb is a U.K. thing and the us uses walla for crowd murmer:

quote:

Walla is called rhubarb in the UK where actors say "rhubarb, rhubarb", rhabarber in Germany, rabarber in the Netherlands and Flanders (Belgium) as well as Denmark, Sweden & Estonia, and gaya (がや) in Japan, perhaps in part reflecting the varying textures of crowd noise in the different countries. Other phrases are "carrots and peas", "watermelon cantaloupe" and "natter natter" (to which the response is "grommish grommish")

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you have somewhere to dump a 20MB PNG I'll throw it up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PLEASE LEAVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuONuafxwk

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's an audio track on the Kung Pow DVD where you hear all the nonsense the extras are repeating to make their mouths move

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Isn't part of the reason extras are instructed to say nonsense is to prevent the possibility of having to credit them for a speaking role?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

The Time Dissolver posted:

Isn't part of the reason extras are instructed to say nonsense is to prevent the possibility of having to credit them for a speaking role?

Sounds like a plausible side benefit, but it really is an audio thing. They are particularly interested in avoiding 's' sounds, iirc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KnifeWrench posted:

Sounds like a plausible side benefit, but it really is an audio thing. They are particularly interested in avoiding 's' sounds, iirc.

It doesn't work that way, otherwise every extra would just be shouting out random lines and then turning up at the producer's office and demanding money. They want to avoid giving the extras actual lines because who wants to bother writing 500 bits of dialogue for the establishing shot before your star swings in through the window?

Someone once told me (I've no idea if it's true) it's because both audio equipment and the human ear pick out sibilants much more easily than other sounds so if there's too many sibilants in your crowd noise they just drown out other sounds and it sounds like hissing, and if you ask people to just make up noises, especially quiet ones, they always put in a lot more sibilant noises than are in normal speech.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone once told me (I've no idea if it's true) it's because both audio equipment and the human ear pick out sibilants much more easily than other sounds so if there's too many sibilants in your crowd noise they just drown out other sounds and it sounds like hissing, and if you ask people to just make up noises, especially quiet ones, they always put in a lot more sibilant noises than are in normal speech.
It's super noticeable at funerals during the "trespasses" part of the lord's prayer, I know that much.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pilchenstein posted:

It's super noticeable at funerals during the "trespasses" part of the lord's prayer, I know that much.

Huh, yeah no kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVOx6QxHuDI

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Haha, I'd always amuse myself as a kid in church by noting that section making the congregation sound like a snakepit.

"Forgive uS our treSpaSSeS aS we forgive thoSe who treSpaSS againSt uS." 🐍

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice
:byob1: was a steam emoticon by origin we all thought it was really funny. When BYOB came back in 2014 we all got into a Steam chat and started BSing. We then made the posting pal gang tag as a BYOB gang tag based off the smilie/emoticon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I stopped posting for a while and recently started reading the forums again, and somewhere in between oldpainless became a meme. Sorry, I mean "more like oldmemeless"

how/when/why

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I stopped posting for a while and recently started reading the forums again, and somewhere in between oldpainless became a meme. Sorry, I mean "more like oldmemeless"

how/when/why

More like Son of Wonderbeast

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

how/when/why

Pretty sure that was birdmod's doing

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shark Sandwich posted:

Pretty sure that was birdmod's doing
It was a group effort.

Zelder posted:

in ten Years people will still be asking each other where they were when curious lump got owned

oldpainless posted:

In ten years hopefully we will all be dead and the earth reclaimed by nature

Weatherman posted:

oldpainless more liek oldlifeless amirite

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Weatherman I'll pay you three internet dollars to follow oldpainless around for a day and post 'oldpainless more like old____less' every time he says something

oldpainless posted:

This is egregious

Leavemywife posted:

More like oldcashless.

walla

e: It has lasted for much longer than a day.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Apr 26, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hah, awesome. Can't put that back genie in the bottle now

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

More like Son of Wonderbeast

:laffo: goddammit

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Son of Laffobeast posted:

Hah, awesome. Can't put that back genie in the bottle now

:laffo: goddammit
Holy poo poo it's spreading

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't handle not being in on the joke. More smilies! Anyone have descriptions or thread links that reference their creation?

:thunk:

:stoked: Surely something relevant to the Bird Crazies.

:cult:

:rudebox:

:russo:

:bignews:

:cosmic2day:

:burgerpug:

:iiniku:

:iidx:

:justpub:

:killing:

:kiss:

:krust:

:landy:

:yokotaro:

:sandance:

I could really get :spergin: by compiling a list of explanations. :yum:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yoko Taro is the guy who made the Drakengard series and the Nier games which are known for being really weird, refuses to show is face in public despite gaining notoriety and uses that mask (sometimes a sock puppet) .

Krusty is just the Krusty inhaling meat fumes and having a heart attack image that GBS likes. Burger Pug is also an image that GBS likes.

cosmic2day is some Marvel Mobile game thread meme, I don't remember exactly what but it's that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the progression of colors for prestige levels in Marvel Heroes, then the sun is because of SUN GOD AVATAR who was always encouraging people to cosmic, the highest prestige.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the big news bird is an anime thing. he's the owner of the global news paper in one piece he likes to say "this is big news"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

:stoked: Surely something relevant to the Bird Crazies.

I recently asked about this in the PYF birds thread:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

A PI bird thread regular bought it and then an admin changed it to a slightly bigger version. It's from a set of budgie stickers on Facebook, and it's for when you're stoked. That's pretty much it.

:stoked:

:thunk: is like a lovely version of this emoji for whatever reason