Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I own three Helms and four each of RIP and Leyline, and I also love lovely mill strategies so yes please do.

Smashing Link posted:

Are there any good Enlightened Tutor-based control decks in the format?

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
5 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Moat
4 Ponder
2 Preordain
3 Rest in Peace
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares
Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
1 Spell Pierce

This is what I've been testing. It so far has done quite well in testing. It crushed death and taxes, jund, elves, bug, and eldrazi. I've only dropped games to jund, enchantress, and sneak and show. I have only played vs sneak and show twice, and won one and lost the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I uses to play Enlightened Tutor in the sideboard of Maverick to find Ethersworn Canonist for storm matchups.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

does it? i thought sterling grove was the tutor of choice

e: maybe if i would have stopped and thought a little bit i could have come up with some scenarios where you want E tutor, like if your win con is Helm, or you have any other hateful artifact in the board

It's been forever since I got to pull it out but I always ran 1 enlightened tutor and 2 sterling grove, and I always ran 1 Emrakul and 2 RiP/1 helm as win cons. Don't always want to pop your groves and grove can get needled/revoker'd so it was nice having another option.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
5 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Moat
4 Ponder
2 Preordain
3 Rest in Peace
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares
Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
1 Spell Pierce

This is what I've been testing. It so far has done quite well in testing. It crushed death and taxes, jund, elves, bug, and eldrazi. I've only dropped games to jund, enchantress, and sneak and show. I have only played vs sneak and show twice, and won one and lost the other.

this is the deck list i've waited my whole life to lay eyes on. it's beautiful

my absolute favorite part, and this is not at all a criticism, is that to beat a game 1 leyline of sanctity, you need to have both energy fields, a jace, and your blood moon out in order to turn on Keranos beatdown

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 26, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

this is the deck list i've waited my whole life to lay eyes on. it's beautiful

my absolute favorite part, and this is not at all a criticism, is that to beat a game 1 leyline of sanctity, you need to have both energy fields, a jace, and your blood moon out in order to turn on Keranos beatdown

And you need to get those out before you die to keranos triggers assuming your opponent doesn't have a creature with >3 toughness.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I played against this with both enchantress and d&t! It felt like a very bad mu on the d&t side; one of our games was pretty close but it felt like a fluke rather than how I expect the matchup to go, there are so many 4 mana enchantments that nearly lock you out of the game. On the Enchantress note, does anyone know how to get a scrolling hand on xmage now? Deck is literally unplayable without that :(

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

L0cke17 posted:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
5 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Moat
4 Ponder
2 Preordain
3 Rest in Peace
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares
Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
1 Spell Pierce

Obvious question here, but how required is the Moat? Obviously Magus of the Moat/Peacekeeper are a lot worse, but could Ghostly Prison/Propaganda/Sphere of Safety work instead? Particularly Sphere since it can't be decayed.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
5 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Moat
4 Ponder
2 Preordain
3 Rest in Peace
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares
Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
1 Spell Pierce

Sweet that looks right up my alley. Only missing JTMS.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw nuts, blue duals. Well, I'll get there someday.

Elyv posted:

I played against this with both enchantress and d&t! It felt like a very bad mu on the d&t side; one of our games was pretty close but it felt like a fluke rather than how I expect the matchup to go, there are so many 4 mana enchantments that nearly lock you out of the game. On the Enchantress note, does anyone know how to get a scrolling hand on xmage now? Deck is literally unplayable without that :(

I might not be on the latest version of xMage but I always move the Taskbar to the side of my screen when in xMage so I can see the scrollbar for my hand. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I might not be on the latest version of xMage but I always move the Taskbar to the side of my screen when in xMage so I can see the scrollbar for my hand. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

So the thing with Enchantress if that when your deck actually gets to fire you end up with like 20 cards in hand. Not being able to scroll through them is...awkward. There's some ways of getting an extra card or two to show up, but that's simply not sufficient.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

So the thing with Enchantress if that when your deck actually gets to fire you end up with like 20 cards in hand. Not being able to scroll through them is...awkward. There's some ways of getting an extra card or two to show up, but that's simply not sufficient.

There's not a scroll bar down there? It's been a minute since I've been on xMage but I've definitely run into instances where I have 10+ cards in hand and a bar appears for scrolling through them. Let me check when I get home.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Obvious question here, but how required is the Moat? Obviously Magus of the Moat/Peacekeeper are a lot worse, but could Ghostly Prison/Propaganda/Sphere of Safety work instead? Particularly Sphere since it can't be decayed.

It's pretty necessary. The opponent has nothing to do with their Mana but attack, since blood moon isn't like back to basics, so it's probably not gonna work. That said you could play 2-3 back to basics and maybe it would work? Sphere itself is pretty bad though, as you won't have that many enchantments in play usually. Moat+humility is the real best thing with the list.

C-Euro posted:

Aw nuts, blue duals. Well, I'll get there someday.

Not actually that necessary this list. You *could* play shocks or the new two or more basics lands if you had to and it wouldn't hurt you except one in ten games probably. I don't even fetch a dual in the average game. I did try an esper list with leyline rip and helm, but it was real bad.

Smashing Link posted:

Sweet that looks right up my alley. Only missing JTMS.

Look again, there's 2. Keranos is always better than the third imo especially with e-tutor. But the fourth is better than the second keranos.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 26, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

L0cke17 posted:

It's pretty necessary. The opponent has nothing to do with their Mana but attack, since blood moon isn't like back to basics, so it's probably not gonna work. That said you could play 2-3 back to basics and maybe it would work? Sphere itself is pretty bad though, as you won't have that many enchantments in play usually. Moat+humility is the real best thing with the list.

Not actually that necessary this list. You *could* play shocks or the new two or more basics lands if you had to and it wouldn't hurt you except one in ten games probably. I don't even fetch a dual in the average game. I did try an esper list with leyline rip and helm, but it was real bad.

Look again, there's 2. Keranos is always better than the third imo especially with e-tutor. But the fourth is better than the second keranos.

Pretty sure he means he needs to buy 2 Jace

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Pretty sure he means he needs to buy 2 Jace

Oh duh. Makes much more sense now.

e: Kirtar also pointed out that it might make sense to have 1 eplspeth, knight errant as a win con that doesnt get affected by leyline/provide another way to win in a decent fashion.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Are there any cards from Amonkhet that'll be staples (or at least playable) in non-rotating formats a la Fatal Push from AER that I ought to pick up?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Soul Glo posted:

Are there any cards from Amonkhet that'll be staples (or at least playable) in non-rotating formats a la Fatal Push from AER that I ought to pick up?

Some people are speculating that As Foretold might be playable since you can do stuff like cast Ancestral Vision, Living End, or Restore Balance from your hand, but I don't think there are any slam dunks like Fatal Push. Maybe Harsh Mentor in sideboards, but it's not as good when people aren't activating top a billion times per turn.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 27, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Censor seems like it might be a legit card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Cycling for 1 is a huge deal, really.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well with Miracles dead I'm thinking of making a bant control-ish list running the usual suspects.

Force
Snap
Daze
Brainstorm
Ponder
Jace
Noble Heirarch
Tarmogoyf
True name
Etc etc... see how it plays.

I've been waiting for the day this cool deck does anything else again ever, maybe today is it's day: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6650&d=238217

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Went 4-0 at the weekly modern tourney at the LGS with grixis death's delver. Got lucky in my matchups: beat jund death's shadow, abzan company, naya bushwhacker, and elves in the finals. Got $40 in credit.

Since adding the death's shadows I've gone 3-1, 3-1, 2-2, 4-0, and top 8 at a GPT. Mostly more casual events but at one of the spikier stores in town with players usually playing real decks. Ignoring my twin (rip) break, it's the best delver deck I've played since treasure cruise (rip) was legal.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pontius Pilate posted:

Went 4-0 at the weekly modern tourney at the LGS with grixis death's delver. Got lucky in my matchups: beat jund death's shadow, abzan company, naya bushwhacker, and elves in the finals. Got $40 in credit.

Since adding the death's shadows I've gone 3-1, 3-1, 2-2, 4-0, and top 8 at a GPT. Mostly more casual events but at one of the spikier stores in town with players usually playing real decks. Ignoring my twin (rip) break, it's the best delver deck I've played since treasure cruise (rip) was legal.

What's your list?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Aven Mindcensor is a great card and needed a reprint badly

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What's your list?

Creatures

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
4x Snapcaster Mage
2x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1x Gurmag Angler

Sorceries

4x Serum Visions
4x Thoughtseize

Instants

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Thought Scour
2x Fatal Push
2x Terminate
2x Mana Leak
1x Dismember
1x Kolaghan's Command
1x Spell Snare
1x Remand

Lands

4x Scalding Tarn
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Polluted Delta
2x Watery Grave
2x Steam Vents
1x Blood Crypt
1x Island
1x Swamp

Sideboard

1x Spell Snare
1x Spell Pierce
1x Countersquall
1x Dispel
1x Negate
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Blood Moon
1x Izzet Staticaster
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Kolaghan's Command
1x Collective Brutality
1x Rakdos Charm
1x Painful Truths
1x Shattering Spree
1x Young Pyromancer

SB is still very much in flux. I've been considering adding the always spicy #61 in another instant/sorcery to make the delver probability slightly higher but that's probably silly. I wouldn't be opposed to another shockland, either a watery grave or blood crypt, but that makes delver worse. The lesson is probably to cut delver but nah.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
For any pure grixis delver players out there, I think the death's shadows are completely worth it. The biggest downside is how it cuts into your spell count for snappy/delver but not very significantly: straight delver lists would play around 19 lands and grips of delver/snapcaster/a combination of tasigur, angler, and young peezy, resulting in around 29 instants and sorceries; I'm playing 26 instants and sorceries, which is worse but not at all backbreaking. The other changes are essentially free. Four thoughtseizes is mana efficient, flips delver, deals you damage, gives you perfect info post probe, and aggressive decks are some of your best match ups. Going up to twelve fetches feels essentially free too: bolts ya, fills the yard for the delve threats, shuffles off of a bad delver peek, and fucks with your serum visions when you're being sloppy. Delver is such a mana intensive deck that you often already dealt yourself 6 after fetching out steam vents and watery grave in the first two turns. Why not throw in a thoughtseize in and cast death's shadow and hit for a bunch the next turn?

I'm not experienced enough with the grixis death's shadow sans delver enough to honestly defend delver's inclusion but I like it for a couple of reasons. I assume, like grixis control or delver, death's shadow struggles with big mana decks such as trons and valakuts. Death's shadow certainly helps in these matchups but having another cheap threat that you can just get lucky with and steal a game or two is even better. This was the biggest reason I liked delver in grixis even before the collective magic community realized death's shadow is a pretty good card. The other main reason I like delver (over street wraiths being the most obvious difference) is that my meta has a good amount of death's shadow decks running around and the matchups seem to come down to who draws the most threats and removal. Grixis death's delver--still don't have a good name--has the most of those.

If you want to watch me get insanely lucky my final match starts around 3:11: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138331135 I also briefly appear for a game around 1:37. Warning: questionable commentary.

Delver is a pet card too.

And I'm never not playing four bolts in a deck running bolt and snap.

I also feel like a huge idiot not playing this when gitaxian probe was legal.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
After winning 4 weeks in a row, Griselbrand/Emrakul took a poop on me last night. Several mulls to five, land floods, you name it. Still love the little bastard of a deck though.

Thinking about switching back to Pyroclasm in the side over Anger of the Gods. Most situations I'm seeing locally Pyroclasm is better for being a turn sooner and not needing double red, but there are some cases where the 3 damage and/or exile is needed.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Enchantress is kinda meh right now. If there are any Leovold decks, you literally cannot win.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Deaths Shadow looks super inconsistent without Street Wraith in the deck. Merging Deaths Shadow with Delver seems like you just made a worse Deaths Shadow deck and a worse Delver deck. Your consistency flipping Delver is much lower and your consistency for being able to cast a Deaths Shadow is also much lower. Delver also seems really bad in Modern right now so I don't understand why you wouldn't just play more copies of your big delve threats and have those be your additional threats.

Also, have you tried Censor in traditional Grixis Delver? That card looks amazing.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Aven Mindcensor is a great card and needed a reprint badly

No I'm taking about Censor as in the new 1U Instant - "Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1" with Cycling: U.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Do y'all think that the UB Faeriestill deck gets any better in nuLegacy? Do Faerie decks get better in general? Spellstutter Sprite is still the nut and we'll probably see less Decays which means Bitterblossom is probably a better threat. Can my dream deck of Esper Faerieblade be viable now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Do y'all think that the UB Faeriestill deck gets any better in nuLegacy? Do Faerie decks get better in general? Spellstutter Sprite is still the nut and we'll probably see less Decays which means Bitterblossom is probably a better threat. Can my dream deck of Esper Faerieblade be viable now?

Fairies are still bad friend

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

I don't think stoneforge really fits that style of play. Tapping out is kinda miserable. I would just play 1-2 jittes and maybe a sofi to drop in the mid to late game and just play more flash threats. 4 SSS, 3 clique, 4 snapcasters, swords, bitterblossoms, maybe a resto angel or two at the top end of your curve.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
(I've actually played that deck a little in Legacy already)

SFM occupies the same kind of slot as Bitterblossom. It acts sort of like a force multiplier in all of your random Faeries by making them go from garbage 1/1s into 3/3s with good abilities. It means you get to have a more consistent flash game plan because you get to have that powerful two drop that sits and accumulates value way more often. I've only really played it in random xmage games, but SFM synergizes so dang well with the rest of the deck. Also, Jitte makes the Elves matchup actually winnable which seems somewhat important.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So possible fun modern deck based on 42 land Swans.

With Shadow of the grave you can discard all your lands, get them back and discard them again. I think I might try making a grixis version of it for giggles.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sampatrick posted:

Not Esper, but http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15126&d=291656&f=LE. Note: the Chandras are because he lost a bet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So possible fun modern deck based on 42 land Swans.

With Shadow of the grave you can discard all your lands, get them back and discard them again. I think I might try making a grixis version of it for giggles.

You probably saw it but SaffronOlive did an article on this deck a couple weeks back. Phone posting so I don't feel like linking it but it should still be up on Goldfish.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

there's a BUG version that did well in one online event (list here). I could imagine a deck like this no longer messing around with stuff like Edric and tuning towards blood moon decks, aggro, and fast combo. the trouble is that bitterblossom and spellsprite are kinda durdly, even in a world where a spellsprite on its own counters half the spells that will be cast by your opponent across a tournament

What I'd like to draw the class's attention to is this deck. i will venture a guess and say that you will not expect it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As cool as that deck is, it is no match for this deck featuring 3 copies of one of my all time favorite cards

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

What I'd like to draw the class's attention to is this deck. i will venture a guess and say that you will not expect it.

Nobody expects this.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Vital Signs posted:

After winning 4 weeks in a row, Griselbrand/Emrakul took a poop on me last night. Several mulls to five, land floods, you name it. Still love the little bastard of a deck though.

Thinking about switching back to Pyroclasm in the side over Anger of the Gods. Most situations I'm seeing locally Pyroclasm is better for being a turn sooner and not needing double red, but there are some cases where the 3 damage and/or exile is needed.

Emrakul as more than a 1-of? Is this RB Reanimator in Modern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I played that deck at a starcity, and still have a proxied version in a deckbox in my room. Sadly I went 4-4 with it. But it was super fun, and noone understood what was going on. But it was before drs, so you were summoners pacting for odious trow of all things. The regeneration clause won me a match actually, I blocked a goyf every turn for like 5 turns in a row and then won.