Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Jenna Fryer manages to write an even dumber article trying to defend her previous article. Not really worth a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maybe she heard espn is hiring

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What a non-apology.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No poo poo. "I'm so sorry I didn't realize the 500 is such a big deal."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Meanwhile Stef Schrader is posting on Jalopnik that Indycar should rearrange the schedule so the Indy 500 is the last race of the year, apparently unaware that North America has something called "seasons".

When IndyCar fans become journalists, the world sees us for how stupid we truly are.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Meanwhile Stef Schrader is posting on Jalopnik that Indycar should rearrange the schedule so the Indy 500 is the last race of the year, apparently unaware that North America has something called "seasons".

Basically what the IRL tried to do with split-year seasons? I don't think it would make a lick of difference to either the series or the race.

Of course, these "seasons" are when you could run a giant west-coast block of races. Phoenix, Fontana, Long Beach, Sonoma, Laguna?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Jenna is pro Nascar or something. I dont see the point of dissing Alonsos indy adventure. And i dont see how Danica or the other guy would bring more atention to the series. Danica didnt drive for indy also? Alonso at the 500 will bring world atention to the race not only USA. What a weird non issue.

Her passive agresive comments are dumb as gently caress.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Not to defend Jenna, but she does make a valid point if Alonso were to win.

Jenna posted:

If [Alonso] does (win), where does IndyCar go from there? Alonso won't be at Detroit the next week, or Texas, or help the series' television ratings as the season goes on.

While that is valid, good or bad, all that really matters is the 500

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

True but I mean he's far from the first person to ever one off the 500.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

KingShibby posted:

I mean the same question can be asked about Danica, Smoke, and the Taylor brothers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingShibby posted:

Alonso at Indy will generate some buzz and maybe some people will like the races and stay?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alonso at Indy will generate some buzz and maybe some people will like the races and stay?

I mean, gently caress, I literally watched the Grand Prix of Alabama (lol) and enjoyed myself and that is a direct result of Alonso and he wasn't even racing in that one.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

I mean, gently caress, I literally watched the Grand Prix of Alabama (lol) and enjoyed myself and that is a direct result of Alonso and he wasn't even racing in that one.

Same. I even watched Nascar but i didnt like it and the stage system is dumb.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The stage system is dumb, sure, but it's considerably better than when they'd just fabricate cautions to bunch up the field.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all for these kinds of things if it brings more eyeballs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

The series isn't paying for Alonso's ride as some form of publicity stunt. She continues to miss that basic fact. Hes running a big race because he wants to, and Honda and others are paying to make it happen. Thats cool as hell. Does it help sell tickets to Texas? Maybe not. But why does it have to? Thats not Alonsos fuckin' problem.

If the series was bankrolling it, then maybe you could make the argument that maybe (and seriously this would be a barely tenable argument) the series should invest the $1m somewhere else to better boost the rest of the series. But they arent. So its a dumbshit argument. You might as well complain that Alonso running at Indy is bad because it doesn't solve climate change either.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dentist toy box posted:

True but I mean he's far from the first person to ever one off the 500.

It's also not like a one-off pulling off a great result in the 500 hasn't resulted in major career shifts, either. Look at Rossi last year. I suspect DW's win in 2011 played into him being offered the 27 car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

Jenna Fryer manages to write an even dumber article trying to defend her previous article. Not really worth a link.

Don't be like me. Don't search out this article. It's so bad. So enraging.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I like that she's mad NASCAR guys aren't allowed at the 500, when the reason no NASCAR guys run the 500 is because :siren:NASCAR WON'T LET THEM:siren:.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Doesn't Smoke still have an open seat offer with Penske?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Also Nando being in the race doesn't mean those people still can't participate?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
maybe we just accept that Jenna Fryer is an idiot and move on

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

maybe we just accept that Jenna Fryer is an idiot and move on

This.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pointing and laughing is fun you party poopers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Pointing and laughing is fun you party poopers

It is, until someone royally gets butthurt and has a meltdown.

It's still funny then, but it's a lot more :ughh: at that point.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jerry Punch is among the ESPN cuts made today.

e- No word on if it's immediate or after the IndyCar season is over, but Doc himself confirmed it and thanked ESPN in a Tweet. If it's immediate, you'd have DeBruhl and Beekhuis on pit road for the 500 unless they bring somebody else in to do it. Not enough.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 26, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jerry Punch (like Gary Gerould and Jon Beekhuis), should have a permanent standing pit reporter invite to any IndyCar broadcast.

That said, I'm still pissed at him for having the balls as an M.D. to go on national TV and defend the IRL back-breaker attenuators at Indy before they changed em. I still remember him earnestly looking at the camera on SportsCenter and saying "the cars do not have an inherent design problem causing the injuries, they are separate injuries".

I think he eventually recanted that later and said he was caught up in defending the sport he loved or whatever, but still.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I can kinda see why Zak Brown's name was toss around as IndyCar CEO years back, seems like a pretty straight shooting dude:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brown-says-f1-and-long-beach-are-no-longer-compatible-898339/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I can kinda see why Zak Brown's name was toss around as IndyCar CEO years back, seems like a pretty straight shooting dude:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brown-says-f1-and-long-beach-are-no-longer-compatible-898339/

Zak Brown owns, I'm glad he didn't join IndyCar because he is exactly what McLaren needs right now.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I could have sworn I read that Phoenix was going to have qualifying and the race on Saturday, but at last check on the PIR site, qualifying will be Friday night.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I could have sworn I read that Phoenix was going to have qualifying and the race on Saturday, but at last check on the PIR site, qualifying will be Friday night.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

No, I could've sworn I saw the exact same thing.

Nonedit: Indycar still has it on their site!

quote:

• Phoenix and Gateway qualifications: Qualifying at two oval tracks – Phoenix Raceway and Gateway Motorsports Park – will be held on the same day as those Saturday night races. The first day of those two-day event weekends will focus on a pair of practice sessions, the latter falling within the same evening time slot as the race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

The history overall of a former, current F1 guy running, possibly winning Indy has never been a negative one.

-Jack Brabham did it and brought the "Rear engine" revolution to the sport.
-Jim Clark won it, became a legend, and actually revolutionized pit stops with the Wood Bros.
-Sir Jackie ran it and wound up becoming a :911: household partially as a result of it. (wound up covering the "500" for abc after he hung it up)
-Danny Sullivan became the proto-Jeff Gordon during the 80's.
-Emmo wins the race, and as a result turns on South America to the "500". As a result? the sport saw a SURGE of talent from Brazil.
-Mansell made the "500" even more an international event. Theory? I think his involvement wound up landing guys like Wheldon, Dario, and Justin across the pond Plus freaking SENNA was toying around with the idea of running Indy as a result.
-Rossi? Dude's starting to blend into the sport insanely well.

Alonso is one of the biggest names in the sport. It's ALREADY making waves too. I mean Valentino Rossi just said he wants in for example.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, I could've sworn I saw the exact same thing.

Nonedit: Indycar still has it on their site!
Looks like the idea got nixed, qualification has been moved back to Friday:
http://www.indycar.com/Schedule/2017/IndyCar-Series/Phoenix

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

-Jim Clark won it, became a legend, and actually revolutionized pit stops with the Wood Bros.

This is revisionist nonsense to make NASCAR guys feel superior, btw.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alonso is one of the biggest names in the sport. It's ALREADY making waves too. I mean Valentino Rossi just said he wants in for example.

I hadn't heard of this yet! Rossi is a madman and some kind of genius, it would be awesome to see him try.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Looks like the idea got nixed, qualification has been moved back to Friday:
http://www.indycar.com/Schedule/2017/IndyCar-Series/Phoenix

Yeah I believe the reasoning was so that more fans would come out Friday and that they're qualifying under the lights just like the race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Beef jerky racecars baby

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Wirth1000 go back to the F1 thread you'll never poo poo up this one like I can so don't even try

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oberto, Circle K and DMG Mori? Good haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Beef jerky racecars baby

Shame that it has Marco's name on it.

• Locked thread