Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Upon further re-reading of the quote, it is possible he means "We're gonna sign a bad player to a long deal and overpay in a trade for a marginal forward."

I'm thinking this might be the likely case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Friedman talked a fair bit about them in his recent article and they're not rebuilding.

They are desperate to pick top two and declare the rebuild a complete success then trade for Evander Kane.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Lost in this is Bozon and Reway might have made the main roster before they got meningitis and heart failure, respectively.. :smith:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

They are desperate to pick top two and declare the rebuild a complete success then trade for Evander Kane.

I wonder what Benning is thinking here... hoping for a fluke good season? If he gets on his soapbox and talks mumbles on again about how we're gonna win now, and we wanna make the playoffs and bluh-bluh-bluh he'll be canned for sure at the end of another lousy season. Maybe if he commits to a rebuild he keeps his job another year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

I wonder what Benning is thinking here... hoping for a fluke good season? If he gets on his soapbox and talks mumbles on again about how we're gonna win now, and we wanna make the playoffs and bluh-bluh-bluh he'll be canned for sure at the end of another lousy season. Maybe if he commits to a rebuild he keeps his job another year.

I'm fairly certain he and Linden know their jobs are all but assuredly gone in a year maybe two at the most. Even if they commit to a rebuild hard, it won't matter what they do because they've never had any on ice success. They're really in a transitionary role and they're likely never going to see the fruits of their labour (which are most likely to wither on the vine anyways). The only thing that could keep them around any longer would be a surprising playoff appearance like Toronto had, and for that to work they need something they can sell. A top two pick sorta has that gleam of real change and would probably grant them a great deal of license to move back into realm of short term thinking.

People in desperate positions tend to make very poor decisions.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

They are desperate to pick top two and declare the rebuild a complete success then trade whoever they pick at #2 for Evander Kane.

and it's going to be so depressing to watch

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

and it's going to be so depressing to watch

Nah, they're dumb but they know what this selection means. They're picking a forward top five here and staking their reputations on it. They'll live or die by whoever that is (either Patrick, Hischier or Middlestadt). Get used to one of those three being the public face of everything Canucks for the next five years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah. I'm hesitant to call Malcolm a bust though. He's only 23, goalies are generally thought to be late bloomers unless they're uber talented, and there's probably a lot of weird pressure for him to be good because his brother is an all star. He's been good in Providence, but Zane McIntyre is overtaking him there, so it's hard to say what will happen with him.

I could see him being unprotected, and if he is, I say go for it to Vegas. Pretty minimal risk for a possible high reward.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

re: fire bergevin

I guess Bergevin showed a definite improvement over Gainey's grit and poo poo for a while, and most people assumed that the weird personnel moves he had made were due to the Therrien influence. If the moves keep coming and going, then welp Bergevin. Though I don't think I'd go back to Gainey either let alone mention Boivin.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the attitude in Montreal that the GM has to speak french as well? I know they passed on a HC a while back because his french was either limited or non existent (I know it was a guy who'd had some success as NHL player but don't remember who).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the attitude in Montreal that the GM has to speak french as well? I know they passed on a HC a while back because his french was either limited or non existent (I know it was a guy who'd had some success as NHL player but don't remember who).

Yes, and I don't get why people think the coaching/GM having to speak French in Quebec is such a ridiculous concept. it's a bit limiting sure, but a big part of those two roles in communicating with the public and when you're not understood by half of your fanbase that's a real issue. Some people in Toronto speak French, I really doubt that the Leafs would hire an exclusively Francophone head coach.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The only people who care about that don't even follow the team or hockey in general. I know frenchies who barely speak English that are sick of this poo poo. They want a Cup, not platitudes spoken in fluent French to explain why they got bounced out of the first round, again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, and I don't get why people think the coaching/GM having to speak French in Quebec is such a ridiculous concept. it's a bit limiting sure, but a big part of those two roles in communicating with the public and when you're not understood by half of your fanbase that's a real issue. Some people in Toronto speak French, I really doubt that the Leafs would hire an exclusively Francophone head coach.

Oh I understand why, especially when one considers how big interacting with the media has become when it comes to coaching or being an exec. Who was the HC I'm referring to though, do you remember?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 26, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I could see him being unprotected, and if he is, I say go for it to Vegas. Pretty minimal risk for a possible high reward.

Yeah I think so too but I haven't taken a look at what goalies are likely to be available for the expansion draft. I'm hoping Vegas takes someone like McQuaid instead from Boston.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm guessing if Bergevin was to get fired Julien Brisebois (Tampa's AGM) would be the popular choice to replace him, which seems like it'd be an improvement. Of course, there's also the comedy option of Patrick Roy. :getin:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

It would take someone much more versed in Canadian and Quebecois history to suss this out properly, but this is as much a cultural and historical artifact as a bunch of other stuff is in hockey or anything else. It'll probably fade over time; Quebec separating is no longer really a reality in Canada, and eventually time will smooth over the FLQ troubles and inequalities of the past, and eventually people won't care enough to continue with such cultural mores. But I don't think it's absurd to want a bilingual coach. English speakers would almost certainly object to a unilingual french speaking coach.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh I understand why, especially when one considers how big interacting with the media has become when it comes to coaching or being an exec. Who was the HC I'm referring to though, do you remember?

Randy Cunneyworth was installed on an interim basis about five years ago and he didn't speak French. He was never a full time head coach though.

Suspicious posted:

The only people who care about that don't even follow the team or hockey in general. I know frenchies who barely speak English that are sick of this poo poo. They want a Cup, not platitudes spoken in fluent French to explain why they got bounced out of the first round, again.

I'm sure a lot of people say "we just want a cup, I don't care who takes us there" but it's a different story when you have the plan on how to get there filtered through an interpreter every night. Less than 1 in 10 people in Quebec speak English. I'm sure that the "it doesn't matter" sentiment is commonplace in Montreal where it's more even, but I'm sure there are a poo poo load of fans on the Gaspe peninsula who'd beg to differ.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

They'll live or die by whoever that is (either Patrick, Hischier or Middlestadt).

You're forgetting Michael Rasmussen, who is 6'5 and from Surrey.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yaya posted:

He's going to stab someone with a stick at some point.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Yaya posted:

I am terrified at picking 4th or 5th for this reason

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I am terrified at picking 4th or 5th for this reason

You're assuming Benning won't pick him at #2 to begin with.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it is true, I am assuming that, feel free to throw this post back in my face at the draft

e: know, however, that I will be very drunk and surly

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

In which Travis Green says some boilerplate stuff

Good to know he thinks the Sedins should play less - they ought to, and they ought to be getting sheltered O-zone starts and such. We'll see how he does with them I guess; not sure what he means by having the younger players lean on them though. Also don't really like the talk of relying on all 4 lines, because the canucks bottom 6 is... trash.

Wait and see I guess.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MononcQc posted:

re: fire bergevin

I guess Bergevin showed a definite improvement over Gainey's grit and poo poo for a while, and most people assumed that the weird personnel moves he had made were due to the Therrien influence. If the moves keep coming and going, then welp Bergevin. Though I don't think I'd go back to Gainey either let alone mention Boivin.

2007 Entry 12 1 Ryan McDonagh D Cretin Derham Hall H.S. (Minn.) 467 49 163 212 201
2007 Entry 22 1 Max Pacioretty L Sioux City Musketeers [USHL] 562 209 202 411 309
2007 Entry 43 2 P.K. Subban D Belleville Bulls [OHL] 500 73 245 318 576
2007 Entry 73 3 Yannick Weber D Kitchener Rangers [OHL] 347 23 55 78 147

:sigh:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

JawKnee posted:

It would take someone much more versed in Canadian and Quebecois history to suss this out properly, but this is as much a cultural and historical artifact as a bunch of other stuff is in hockey or anything else. It'll probably fade over time; Quebec separating is no longer really a reality in Canada, and eventually time will smooth over the FLQ troubles and inequalities of the past, and eventually people won't care enough to continue with such cultural mores. But I don't think it's absurd to want a bilingual coach. English speakers would almost certainly object to a unilingual french speaking coach.

I'm an English speaker and the coach can speak loving Korean for all I care. I want my team to not suck.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

I'm guessing if Bergevin was to get fired Julien Brisebois (Tampa's AGM) would be the popular choice to replace him, which seems like it'd be an improvement. Of course, there's also the comedy option of Patrick Roy. :getin:

This is the ideal scenario for me. My wildest dream is Julien Brisebois takes over, gives AGM to Timmins if he wants it, and then throws money at hockey excel nerds.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

stab posted:

I'm an English speaker and the coach can speak loving Korean for all I care. I want my team to not suck.

Congrats, you're on the 'not caring' fast-track

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

This is the ideal scenario for me. My wildest dream is Julien Brisebois takes over, gives AGM to Timmins if he wants it, and then throws money at hockey excel nerds.

Trevor Timmins can gently caress right off. Here is case in point.

Did the "If the Habs had left things alone and just used the loving draft like not morons what would the roster look like exercise" (Only active players, in the NHL or AHL with game experience)

gee, I wonder where the Habs have difficulty in drafting, what positions do they consistently fail to identify NHL'ers :stare:

Max Pacioretty Alex Galchenyuk Brendan Gallagher
Artturi Lehkonen Mikhail Grabovski Nikita Scherbak
Jacob De La Rose Tomas Plekanec Sven Andrighetto
Nikita Scherbak Ryan White Michael McCarron
Charles Hudon

Ryan McDonagh :sigh: P.K. Subban :sigh:
Andrei Markov Mark Streit
Ron Hainsey Francois Beauchemin
Nathan Beaulieu Alexei Emelin
Mikhail Sergachev Jarred Tinordi

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

let that sink in

the Montreal Canadiens only have 13 active forwards IN THE ENTIRE NHL who were drafted by them.

stab fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 26, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Felipe Alou was the manager of the Expos for some years and he never spoke any French. Very few people cared.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

stab posted:

Trevor Timmins can gently caress right off. Here is case in point.

Did the "If the Habs had left things alone and just used the loving draft like not morons what would the roster look like exercise" (Only active players, in the NHL or AHL with game experience)

gee, I wonder where the Habs have difficulty in drafting, what positions do they consistently fail to identify NHL'ers :stare:

Max Pacioretty Alex Galchenyuk Brendan Gallagher
Artturi Lehkonen Mikhail Grabovski Nikita Scherbak
Jacob De La Rose Tomas Plekanec Sven Andrighetto
Nikita Scherbak Ryan White Michael McCarron
Charles Hudon

Ryan McDonagh :sigh: P.K. Subban :sigh:
Andrei Markov Mark Streit
Ron Hainsey Francois Beauchemin
Nathan Beaulieu Alexei Emelin
Mikhail Sergachev Jarred Tinordi

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak

let that sink

the Montreal Canadiens only have 13 active forwards IN THE ENTIRE NHL who were drafted by them.

A lot of development is due to bad AHL coaching, bad organizational philosophy and bad organizational priorities. A lot of this I dump on Bergevin and his culture and character bullshit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I kept hearing rumors that MTL had soured on McD before he was traded. What the hell was up with that? Bullshit or what?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Felipe Alou was the manager of the Expos for some years and he never spoke any French. Very few people cared.

That's because nobody gave a gently caress about the Expos for most of his tenure, the strike killed the remaining interest that city had in the Expos. Plus I'd wager a lot of the people insisting on french speakers don't care about baseball to begin with.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 26, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

I'm sure a lot of people say "we just want a cup, I don't care who takes us there" but it's a different story when you have the plan on how to get there filtered through an interpreter every night. Less than 1 in 10 people in Quebec speak English. I'm sure that the "it doesn't matter" sentiment is commonplace in Montreal where it's more even, but I'm sure there are a poo poo load of fans on the Gaspe peninsula who'd beg to differ.

I think I found the problem. What do these people do when they have to interact with a non-Quebecois?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation at all. From a business perspective it makes sense to have your management be able to speak the language.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think I found the problem. What do these people do when they have to interact with a non-Quebecois?

They mostly don't really need to on any daily basis?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I kept hearing rumors that MTL had soured on McD before he was traded. What the hell was up with that? Bullshit or what?

Pierre Gauthier soured on him, or allegedly always hated his guts. This was during the period where Gainey lost his daughter due to a boating accident so Gauthier, while still AGM, was effectively taking on GM responsibilities. The scuttlebutt is that Gauthier thought McD would amount to nothing due to his limited offensive game, but even back then the reports were that McD was super solid in his own end and slowly adding some dishing qualities on the other side of the rink. Some confluence of events led to Gainey wanting to blow up the Koivu core and restart fresh with new core pieces so you got the McD for Gomez trade and then the Gionta + Camalleri signings in the same summer.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

Pierre Gauthier soured on him, or allegedly always hated his guts. This was during the period where Gainey lost his daughter due to a boating accident so Gauthier, while still AGM, was effectively taking on GM responsibilities. The scuttlebutt is that Gauthier thought McD would amount to nothing due to his limited offensive game, but even back then the reports were that McD was super solid in his own end and slowly adding some dishing qualities on the other side of the rink. Some confluence of events led to Gainey wanting to blow up the Koivu core and restart fresh with new core pieces so you got the McD for Gomez trade and then the Gionta + Camalleri signings in the same summer.

aka the summer that sent the franchise back 5 10 years back

somebody find the choice quotes from the Gomez trade again, always good for a depressing laugh :(

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation at all. From a business perspective it makes sense to have your management be able to speak the language.

Yeah, plus the Habs are a business and understanding and effectively communicating with your key demographics is integral to the success of any commercial enterprise. There's a reason that Apple's keystone address is delivered in English each year and not Tagalog.

Suspicious posted:

Primarily because very few people cared about the Expos.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, plus the Habs are a business and understanding and effectively communicating with your key demographics is integral to the success of any commercial enterprise. There's a reason that Apple's keystone address is delivered in English each year and not Tagalog.

Wouldn't you be happier if Benning communicated in Japanese or something though? Then you wouldn't be able to get as easily enraged at his plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
"Pick the best francophone(s) available in the draft" used to be a thing, at least for the first rounds anyway. Now it's "pick the best players available, who cares what language they speak."

Right now we're at "pick the best francophone(s) available for coach/GM". Could we please just fast forward to the inevitable second part?

• Locked thread