Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Those are two really good Mission Impossibles, and Edge of Tomorrow is a fun movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like I say, I never got into the Mission Impossible movies. I think I might have seen MI2 when it came out because it was one of the DVDs I remember being bundled with the first DVD player my dad bought back in 2001 or so (the other two I remember were Galaxy Quest and the Charlie's Angels movie with Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu; there was a fourth one but I don't remember what it was; possibly could have been either The Perfect Storm or The Patriot).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah MI2 is widely considered the worst one. The franchise only really survived because MI3 was directed by JJ Abrams and came out pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They took a turn similar to Fast and Furious (though they did it first) where it mostly changed genres to big silly action and crazy stunts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Yeah MI2 is widely considered the worst one. The franchise only really survived because MI3 was directed by JJ Abrams and came out pretty good.

I remember there being soooo much hype about MI2 because it was John Woo directed and it was at that time where everyone was obsessed with hard boiled Hong Kong action films (like Hard Boiled!)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mission Impossible as a franchise should be forever thankfully it was directed by John Woo. MI2 is great but it's also a perfect example of a "2000's movie"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I think "generic 2000s action movies" I tend to think of movies that went in for the post-Blade (or post-Matrix) thing where it's a bit underlit and everyone's in leather or something, like the Van Helsing movie with Hugh Jackman, the Underworld movies, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, and to a certain extent the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies.

Tomb Raider's coming back to the cinema as well soon, isn't it? I sort of liked the first one though the second one wasn't very good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but following the new game styling.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tomb Raider movie is going for a recent game/reboot look.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wheat Loaf posted:

She's in that Mummy remake this year. I wonder if that'll be any good. Probably not. We'll see. "Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe" initially fills me with optimism, which is sapped when you add "but it's set in the present day" and "and its version of Kevin Feige is Roberto Orci".

The first trailer was pretty action heavy, but the second makes it seem like it's going to have a decent amount of horror to it too, so despite my worries about various aspects I am also... excited? I really want to see it, which means something's worked right on their end.

Edit: vv Oh man, loving Guy Ritchie King Arthur. I have no goddamn clue about how his style will work with King Arthur, or anything like that but gently caress if I'm not intrigued.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was weird. I sat waiting for Fate of the Furious. Trailers were for Guardians 2, Justice League, Spider-Man, loving Transformers 5, loving Guy Richie King Arthur, and The Mummy.

I want to see all of them. They all looked loving great. I was especially surprised about wanting to see the ones I designated above with a "loving".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The first M:I is great, I haven't seen 2 in years but it was pretty terrible. The recent ones were good, but yeah completely different genres from the original.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

irlZaphod posted:

The first M:I is great, I haven't seen 2 in years but it was pretty terrible. The recent ones were good, but yeah completely different genres from the original.

The only problem with the first one is that like a lot of '90s movies with heavy tech stuff relevant to the plot it's incredibly dated. Storywise it's still solid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

The only problem with the first one is that like a lot of '90s movies with heavy tech stuff relevant to the plot it's incredibly dated. Storywise it's still solid.

Yeah, everything still works because the story doesn't hinge on them having 56K modems or whatever. It's still all stunts and spycraft and subterfuge.

Well, that and the impossible mask tech M:I movies love. That's crazy future gadgetry that isn't going to be dated anytime soon.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Is the first MI's plot actually as batshit incomprehensible as I remember or was I just too young to follow it back then? I remember loving the movie despite having no idea what was going on and having heated discussions with my dad about what actually happened besides cool stunts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really enjoyed Oblivion.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

parallelodad posted:

It was weird. I sat waiting for Fate of the Furious. Trailers were for Guardians 2, Justice League, Spider-Man, loving Transformers 5, loving Guy Richie King Arthur, and The Mummy.

I want to see all of them. They all looked loving great. I was especially surprised about wanting to see the ones I designated above with a "loving".

If you want to shake that desire to see Transformers 5 out of your head just Google up the Fight Like a Girl trailer they did for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Is the first MI's plot actually as batshit incomprehensible as I remember or was I just too young to follow it back then? I remember loving the movie despite having no idea what was going on and having heated discussions with my dad about what actually happened besides cool stunts.

It's easy to understand on a rewatch.

The thing that throws people the first time is generally the scene where Cruise's character is describing one sequence of events while the audience is watching a completely contradictory version.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It was pretty straightforward. The CIA have the team do a fake retrieval mission because they want to smoke out a mole they believe is in the IMF. Everyone except Tom Cruise is killed so they assume he must be the mole so he has to go on the run. Tom spends the rest of the film trying to expose the actual mole by forming a team of disavowed agents and stealing secrets from Langley to barter with an arms dealer who knows the identity of the mole. That's basically it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

She's in that Mummy remake this year. I wonder if that'll be any good. Probably not. We'll see. "Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe" initially fills me with optimism, which is sapped when you add "but it's set in the present day" and "and its version of Kevin Feige is Roberto Orci".

She's also the 'French Operative' in Atomic Blonde.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

She's also the 'French Operative' in Atomic Blonde.

I've seen the trailers for that one. It looks like it might be fun.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've seen the trailers for that one. It looks like it might be fun.

It seems like everyone knows how to make a Hitman: Codename 47 movie but the guys who actually try to make licensed Hitman movies.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

It seems like everyone knows how to make a Hitman: Codename 47 movie but the guys who actually try to make licensed Hitman movies.

OH man was that last one terrible. Everything cool was in the trailers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Jack Reacher movies are really good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chickenwalker posted:

I saw Statham's "Mechanic: Resurrection" a week or so ago and that satisfied my Hitman fix. It's not exactly Hitman but the spirit is the same and hey, he's even a bald white guy!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I saw Statham's "Mechanic: Resurrection" a week or so ago and that satisfied my Hitman fix. It's not exactly Hitman but the spirit is the same and hey, he's even a bald white guy!

It's amazing that the cinematic influences of that franchise can be so explicit and still have filmmakers end up so wide of the mark when they adapt it for the screen. It seems like everyone has to beat you over the head with unnecessary exposition these days.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Yeah I think when I was younger I probably understood it less. It's not too convoluted but it has a few great reveals.

The Langley break-in is really iconic, and so is the climax on the Eurostar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doritos is selling a bag of chips with a music player that plays the GotG2 soundtrack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC has the soundtrack for Justice League in bags of Andy Capp's Hot Fries but they're all covers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neglected to mention that I think this looks like it should be fun. I enjoyed the first one even though I didn't get seeing it in the theatre (saw it on an aeroplane, I think).

I'll be interested to see what they do with Elton John in it. It'd be really funny if he was playing the main villain instead of Julianne Moore because Elton John is one of the least-threatening famous people I can think of (also, that was basically the plot of one of the Alex Rider books; this Bob Geldof / George Michael type flips out and hijacks Air Force One so he can start a nuclear war on drugs).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 26, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I think when I was younger I probably understood it less. It's not too convoluted but it has a few great reveals.

The Langley break-in is really iconic, and so is the climax on the Eurostar.
Yeah when I was younger and watched it I had no real idea what a NOC list was.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah when I was younger and watched it I had no real idea what a NOC list was.

It's a list of Naruto Original Characters.

It's still a pretty obscure reference, but was especially opaque for the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a list of Naruto Original Characters.

DO NOT STEAL

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

parallelodad posted:

DC has the soundtrack for Justice League in bags of Andy Capp's Hot Fries but they're all covers.

Bwah ha ha! Points!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let me tell you something about me. I take Andy Capp's Hot Fries very seriously. I order a box of 50 ten oz bags quarterly. They're my favorite snack and no one else in the house wants them and they're all mine.

So it's actually very similar to my relationship with DC properties.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So M. Night announced that his next movie, Glass, is a direct sequel to Unbreakable and the other-movie-of-his-where-the-twist-is-it's-a-sequel-to-Unbreakable, to which I say, cool.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

So M. Night announced that his next movie, Glass, is a direct sequel to Unbreakable and the other-movie-of-his-where-the-twist-is-it's-a-sequel-to-Unbreakable, to which I say, cool.

I watched Unbreakable a few years ago. At the time, I remembered it as one of my favorite movies of his. On a rewatch, it struck me how no one in the film (besides SLJ) has emotion, at all. All the actors move around each other and do stuff, but they don't ever show any signs of happiness, anger, fear, etc. Even when SLJ is yelling at some dude for treating his art as a toy, that guy doesn't react. When Bruce Willis breaks into someone's house to save two children from being attacked, or when the two children save him from being drowned, everyone in that film has a :| face the entire duration.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unbreakable was one of my favourite movies for a while when I was younger (about 10 years ago when I would've been 15, I think) but in retrospect, I think it's more that it's one of my favourite Samuel L. Jackson performances than anything else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IUG posted:

I watched Unbreakable a few years ago. At the time, I remembered it as one of my favorite movies of his. On a rewatch, it struck me how no one in the film (besides SLJ) has emotion, at all. All the actors move around each other and do stuff, but they don't ever show any signs of happiness, anger, fear, etc. Even when SLJ is yelling at some dude for treating his art as a toy, that guy doesn't react. When Bruce Willis breaks into someone's house to save two children from being attacked, or when the two children save him from being drowned, everyone in that film has a :| face the entire duration.

Isn't that true of a lot of his stuff? Lots of muted performances, for some reason? It makes movies like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable seem kind of surreal and dreamlike, but is completely inappropriate in The Last Airbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

IUG posted:

Unbreakable actually referred to breaking a smile or frown.

• Locked thread