Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdY2MnDm48w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

morestuff posted:

A lot of issues people have with social media feel self-inflicted

Word.

Jose Oquendo posted:

RIP Jonathan Demme

gently caress.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Jimmy taught me that one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mecha Gojira posted:

Actually, my reservations about pork have to do with how loving smart pigs are, on top of how adorable they are.

Cows, though, they're dumb as gently caress and delicious.

https://youtu.be/NajrqXmM-18

edit: Holy poo poo, cows

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 26, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a bar here in Houston run by one of the big chefs around here and they offer family-style meals for 4+. One of them is half of a pig's head.

It's real fuckin' good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The issue is less about the parts used and more where they come from. The chickens used for products like that are raised in literally hellish conditions, fed growth hormones and antibiotics, and killed and processed in plants which don't consider chickens animals but commodities to be processed. There's a pretty big difference between a Native American killing a single wild animal, and a factory-farmed chicken being processed at speed in a meat processing plant. I very occasionally eat cheap chicken, so I'm not a paragon of virtue, but be aware of the absolute cruelty and inhumanity that goes into making your tasty nuggets. That is leaving aside the extent to which the food is processed and stripped of nutrients, and the lovely way that the people involved at pretty much every step of the process are treated too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

therattle posted:

The issue is less about the parts used and more where they come from. The chickens used for products like that are raised in literally hellish conditions, fed growth hormones and antibiotics, and killed and processed in plants which don't consider chickens animals but commodities to be processed. There's a pretty big difference between a Native American killing a single wild animal, and a factory-farmed chicken being processed at speed in a meat processing plant. I very occasionally eat cheap chicken, so I'm not a paragon of virtue, but be aware of the absolute cruelty and inhumanity that goes into making your tasty nuggets. That is leaving aside the extent to which the food is processed and stripped of nutrients, and the lovely way that the people involved at pretty much every step of the process are treated too.

This is all true, but it applies equally well to if McNuggets were whole pieces of chicken rather than chicken goo, which is what was being discussed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes. It's a very valid complaint.

Chic Fil A's nuggets are whole pieces of chicken, and they are not really better for it, texture-wise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

morestuff posted:

Got plans to eat pig face in a week or so, getting reservations was hard as hell

The lambs, Clarice

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Safety Factor posted:

There's a bar here in Houston run by one of the big chefs around here and they offer family-style meals for 4+. One of them is half of a pig's head.

It's real fuckin' good.

Yeah, if you've ever been to a pig pickin the cheek meat is the choicest bit

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is all true, but it applies equally well to if McNuggets were whole pieces of chicken rather than chicken goo, which is what was being discussed.

Yeah, chicken goo is just a further step in processing, and distancing people from what food really is and where it comes from. To me stuff like that isn't food; it's more like what an intelligent machine would make if trying to simulate food.

morestuff posted:

Yeah, if you've ever been to a pig pickin the cheek meat is the choicest bit

How dare you talk of my wife like that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

You got a license to sell hot dogs, chico man?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

therattle posted:

Yeah, chicken goo is just a further step in processing, and distancing people from what food really is and where it comes from. To me stuff like that isn't food; it's more like what an intelligent machine would make if trying to simulate food.

Right, this is the part of it that I can't agree with. Nobody getting a chicken strip made out of whole chicken is more connected to what food is or where it comes from than someone eating a chicken goo nugget. I have trouble seeing complaints about the latter as more than a matter of aesthetics. Which is fine. Aesthetically (and for the practical reason of using more of the chicken), I like buying and working with whole chickens when I cook. But nuggets are definitely food and don't seem to present any specific harm compared to less-processed alternatives.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

It's real fuckin' good.

when I was younger some of my family's Karuk friends would come over & bring Salmon/Smoked Salmon and I'd roll the fish eyes around in my mouth and I have no regrets!! It was good!

But ya eating meat in general strikes me as mostly unjustifiable so I try not to do it but i uh, definitely do not try particularly hard, ill get there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
drat, Jonathan Demme had around 40 feature-length movies and documentaries.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

All chicken is gross.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

All chicken is gross.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That was "chicken is" not "chickens are".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah like chickens are gonna be the best at understanding semantics

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Not eating meat rules, it's forced me to get creative with cooking and made me more willing to try new things. And even though I live in one of the nation's big BBQ cities, there are plenty of vegetarian options around me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Is there anyone who is eating a chicken nugget who doesn't know what chickens look like, or what their legs look like, though?

Part of being in a relatively modern society is not having to see how their food comes from. Turning a living creature into fuel for my body is gross. I don't want - and really don't care - how the process happens. Be it a boneless/skinless chicken breast or a breaded chunk of chicken goo, both can be slotted into the "I want to have some chicken" problem.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 26, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Not eating meat rules, it's forced me to get creative with cooking and made me more willing to try new things. And even though I live in one of the nation's big BBQ cities, there are plenty of vegetarian options around me.

Sup KC vegetarian buddy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, this is the part of it that I can't agree with. Nobody getting a chicken strip made out of whole chicken is more connected to what food is or where it comes from than someone eating a chicken goo nugget. I have trouble seeing complaints about the latter as more than a matter of aesthetics. Which is fine. Aesthetically (and for the practical reason of using more of the chicken), I like buying and working with whole chickens when I cook. But nuggets are definitely food and don't seem to present any specific harm compared to less-processed alternatives.

I can see that. It's kind of the cherry on top of the larger argument about the awfulness of intensively reared or factory farmed meat. It's not a fundamental point. A nugget and a strip are both appalling, although I think the nugget slightly more so. Perhaps as you say it's more aesthetics.

MisterBibs posted:

Is there anyone who is eating a chicken nugget who doesn't know what chickens look like, or what their legs look like, though?

Part of being in a relatively modern society is not having to see how their food comes from. Turning a living creature into fuel for my body is gross. I don't want - and really don't care - how the process happens. Be it a boneless/skinless chicken breast or a breaded chunk of chicken goo, both can be slotted into the "I want to have some chicken" problem.

If turning a living creature into fuel is gross then become a vegetarian. You're basically saying "meat is gross but a modern society allows me to ignore the grossness, so I don't have to care about the enormous and well-documented suffering that goes into providing me with food. And I'm ok with that!" What empathy, compassion and morals you display.

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 26, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loving LOVE MEAT I EAT IT ALL DAY MEAT MEAT EAT EAT 🍖🍖🍖🍖🍖🍖🍖🍖

rip jonathan demme. stop making sense is great and rachel getting married is underrated

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

therattle posted:

I can see that. It's kind of the cherry on top of the larger argument about the awfulness of intensively reared or factory farmed meat. It's not a fundamental point. A nugget and a strip are both appalling, although I think the nugget slightly more so. Perhaps as you say it's more aesthetics.

It's an impressively apt visual metaphor for the meat processing industry for something that's actually part of the meat processing industry.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This right here. There are so many great dishes I learned to cook, I actually had to use spices for flavor, and I saved so much money from not buying meat.

I stopped inviting friends over for dinner. I had a few get legitimately mad at me because I made blackbean tacos and refused to eat it because there was no meat. Wouldn't even try it.

I've had other friends start fights with me because I ordered a veggie burger--they acted like I was the biggest rear end in a top hat and just threatened their family because I didn't want to eat meat.

People are very weird about peers that eat healthy/vegetarian/vegan, especially the people that don't know the differences between vegetarian/vegan.

edit:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

rip jonathan demme. stop making sense is great and rachel getting married is underrated

Is this streaming anywhere?

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 26, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Oh yeah like chickens are gonna be the best at understanding semantics

Chickens are legit stupid as gently caress and will murder and eat each other if left to their own devices, but on the other hand

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Saw a matinee of Free Fire, which was way slower paced than I expected. I have no idea what that movie was trying to be, but I liked it in spite of it's somewhat convoluted/aggressively simple plot. The abandoned warehouse it's set in has a lot of character.

CPL593H posted:

Because the movie came out in 2004.

Counterpoint: if it had come out in 2017 she would have just been played by Ruby Rose (who I would watch in the lead of an Alien and/or Predator movie in a heartbeat now that I think of it)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Werner Herzog posted:

Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic and nightmarish creatures in the world.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

If turning a living creature into fuel is gross then become a vegetarian.

Nope, because only the processing is gross. The consuming of it? Quite enjoyable. Be it a whole animal, a deboned/deskinned version of it, or a version of it smushed into a nugget patty and fried.

therattle posted:

You're basically saying "meat is gross but a modern society allows me to ignore the grossness, so I don't have to care about the enormous and well-documented suffering that goes into providing me with food. And I'm ok with that!"

Yup.

therattle posted:

What empathy, compassion and morals you display.

Dude, you're talking about livestock.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

This right here. There are so many great dishes I learned to cook, I actually had to use spices for flavor, and I saved so much money from not buying meat.

I stopped inviting friends over for dinner. I had a few get legitimately mad at me because I made blackbean tacos and refused to eat it because there was no meat. Wouldn't even try it.

I've had other friends start fights with me because I ordered a veggie burger--they acted like I was the biggest rear end in a top hat and just threatened their family because I didn't want to eat meat.

People are very weird about peers that eat healthy/vegetarian/vegan, especially the people that don't know the differences between vegetarian/vegan.

edit:

Is this streaming anywhere?

Yeah, I eat meat but my wife is vegetarian and our home is. I do most of the cooking and I've definitely had to become a much more creative and better cook. Cooking with meat or fish is just so easy.

MisterBibs posted:

Nope, because only the processing is gross. The consuming of it? Quite enjoyable. Be it a whole animal, a deboned/deskinned version of it, or a version of it smushed into a nugget patty and fried.

Yup.

Dude, you're talking about livestock.

Livestock. Animals. Living, conscious creatures that can experience basic emotions and certainly feel pain and suffering. Yes, I'm talking about livestock. Would you torture a cow? If not, why not?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/715648874346520576

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That sounds about right

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like I missed when juice being cold pressed became a very desirable thing. Like, I saw it on a handful of bottled juices in Whole Foods and literally nowhere else ever before the Juicero became a story.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Beautiful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, what? I thought cold pressing juice would be a process where you put likez the fruits and vegetables to be juiced into a device and it pressed the juice out... But it's like... A kuerig that doesn't heat anything? What the gently caress?

You put like, a capri sun in it and it squeezes it out for you?

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
What we really need is one of them cows from tHGttG that is genetically engineered to be both more intelligent, and enjoy being eaten.

• Locked thread