Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Radish posted:

If I recall the actual guy admitted it was in poor taste and apologized. It seems like a bigger sticking point for other people that wanted to use that as an example of feminism ruining everyone (men's) good time.

Yeah, he apologized, but had so many net nerds running to his defence about feminism run amok, thinking he was "pressured" into apologizing, and claiming that the criticisms are invalid because it was a female coworker (I think) that made him the shirt. I'm not making a judgment about being offended by that shirt, but holy poo poo how dumb do you have to be about wearing that shirt to something official?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, he apologized, but had so many net nerds running to his defence about feminism run amok, thinking he was "pressured" into apologizing, and claiming that the criticisms are invalid because it was a female coworker (I think) that made him the shirt. I'm not making a judgment about being offended by that shirt, but holy poo poo how dumb do you have to be about wearing that shirt to something official?

I've known a few nerd dudes that clueless but yeah it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

mojo1701a posted:

This is something that continues to stick in my craw - people who say X isn't sexist because a woman somewhere was OK with it in some context. Of course said by people who don't want to understand why anything is sexist and so take the surface reading only. That dude's shirt would be fine with immediate friends and colleagues, but in the setting he was a representative of both his project and more broadly his field. But again that ties back into what brought us here to begin with: managing optics when speaking in public is a skill and Bill Nye is good at it, so he's a great bridge between a layperson and "real" science.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's been a while but I remember him being really sincere about the apology. People came down hard on him before he had a chance to say anything so it looked like a dogpile, but he admitted fault as soon as he saw what people were saying.

So yeah, he was just a goon who wasn't thinking.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Remember the common right wing complaint (read: lie) that the ACA exempted congress? I doubt this will surprise you:
http://www.vox.com/2017/4/25/15429982/gop-exemption-ahca-amendment

Vox Headline posted:

Republicans exempt their own insurance from their latest health care proposal
Republican legislators want to keep popular Obamacare provisions for themselves and their staff

The article lays out exactly how the statute is conceived, but goddamn, the hypocrisy of the Republicans never cease to amaze.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Xibanya posted:

This is something that continues to stick in my craw - people who say X isn't sexist because a woman somewhere was OK with it in some context. Of course said by people who don't want to understand why anything is sexist and so take the surface reading only. That dude's shirt would be fine with immediate friends and colleagues, but in the setting he was a representative of both his project and more broadly his field. But again that ties back into what brought us here to begin with: managing optics when speaking in public is a skill and Bill Nye is good at it, so he's a great bridge between a layperson and "real" science.

Oh I agree completely. It's also why quite a number of women (and minorities) make good money by telling these groups that it's actually OK to do whatever they're already doing.

Radish posted:

I've known a few nerd dudes that clueless but yeah it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

The funniest thing to me is that all of the people that defended him kept saying, "This man landed a rocket on a comet and you're bitching about his shirt?!" probably wouldn't have given a poo poo if it wasn't publicized so much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HellCopter posted:

It's been a while but I remember him being really sincere about the apology. People came down hard on him before he had a chance to say anything so it looked like a dogpile, but he admitted fault as soon as he saw what people were saying.

So yeah, he was just a goon who wasn't thinking.

yeah he did the correct thing and said "sorry i wasnt thinking" sincerely in a public forum which is why everyone is more vague on the details of the story than the subsequent fracas in the comment section

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

There we go.

Nattyreview has had a bunch of transphobic columns so their main headline's no shocker. Drudge beating war drum, fun times. Red State back on the fake poo poo about :byodood: BABY PARTS :byodood: mmhmm, yep, no real shockers today.

:suicide101:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

boner confessor posted:

yeah he did the correct thing and said "sorry i wasnt thinking" sincerely in a public forum which is why everyone is more vague on the details of the story than the subsequent fracas in the comment section

And of course, as soon as the story broke it became bigger than anything he actually did, so anything he said afterwards doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Going back to the Nye isn't a "real" scientist BS.

Reminder regressives have talking heads with a pee H(I don't know what to write out the h sound) dee from Bible U diploma mills to say how all the science that don't like is fakewrongevil.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PhazonLink posted:

H(I don't know what to write out the h sound)

(H)Ayetch

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neah, it's Aitch

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

21 Muns posted:

Neah, it's Aitch

Depends on the accent you're aiming for.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Depends on the accent you're aiming for.

pee HNAZI dee

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bill Nye's highest degree might be a BS, but he also has 25 years of science education and communication. In my book that's better than a Masters at least.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

deoju posted:

Bill Nye's highest degree might be a BS, but he also has 25 years of science education and communication. In my book that's better than a Masters at least.

It's not like conservatives respect credentials in any other case so I'm not sure why anyone should accept their arguments now. Also what counts as a scientist exactly? Is there some accreditation body giving out scientist certificates?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sedge and Bee posted:

It's not like conservatives respect credentials in any other case so I'm not sure why anyone should accept their arguments now. Also what counts as a scientist exactly? Is there some accreditation body giving out scientist certificates?

I'd say PhD in a hard science field might be a start?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mind_Taker posted:

A man known best as an entertaining host of an educational show for children being the target of a right-wing media smear campaign is hilarious and pathetic.

They did that poo poo to Fred Rogers too.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

BiggerBoat posted:

They did that poo poo to Fred Rogers too.

Also, "Sid the Science Kid", "Sesame Street", and just about anything that isn't shilling for right-wing or pseudo-christian morality.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vintersorg posted:

The internet blew up and made this dude who landed a rocket on a comet feel like poo poo cause he had a funny shirt on.

Everything else aside, that's a lovely shirt as far as weird joke titty shirts go.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pander posted:

most research is carried out by masters and phd grad students, not by the actual PHD'd faculty. Grad students are equally deserving of the title scientist.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

most research is carried out by masters and phd grad students, not by the actual PHD'd faculty. Grad students are equally deserving of the title scientist.

Oh holy poo poo really? You're willing to do this for Bill Nye?

You know that grad students aren't postdocs, right?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Once again the left show that they get caught up in details while regressives just know "not mah team gently caress them" and do whatever.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I generally consider someone involved in serious research that involves empirical observations to be a scientist regardless of level of educational achievement, though generally to be able to conduct such studies one has to have an advanced degree or be working on an advanced degree to be hired to do so unless we're talking about people from 200+ years ago who were self-funded or had patrons (I suppose the modern analogue would be things like chemical engineers who work for a pharmaceutical company.)

So far as I know Bill Nye does not do any actual research, so I don't consider him a scientist, but I do believe him to be very knowledgeable about a broad range of scientific topics.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This was like when someone was trying to discredit Neil Degrasse Tyson since he mainly worked at a planetarium and didn't produce "real science". The real question is is anything Bill Nye saying unfounded or not true? The answer is no he isn't everything is backed up with evidence, context, and discourse but the right wing turns it into a credentials discussion while a Dr of Bible Studies sits there and holds a banana telling you the shape is proof God is real end of discussion.

Per wiki "A scientist is a person engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world. In a more restricted sense, a scientist may refer to an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science."

Basically anyone determined to live an educated, informed life and pursue new avenues of information and let themselves be challenged by new ideas backed by evidence and champion the rational understanding of the world.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
As I've said before, Bill Nye is completely ignorant about nuclear power and should keep his mouth shut about it, but he does a good job educating people about science and so I generally support him, he's a great guy.

As for people who aren't great guys, here's Scott Adams to tell you why Trump's first 100 days were the best ever, and even the things you did that he thought were bad are actually good.

Dilbro posted:

In science, you don’t have much of an experiment unless you have a control case for comparison. For example, you can’t know if a drug helped with a particular disease unless you study the people who didn’t take the drug at the same time as those who did.

But the pro-science people forget this concept when thinking about politics. Where is the control case for Trump’s first 100 days?

Is it George Washington’s first 100 days?

Is it Jimmy Carter’s first 100 days?

And which prior president came to office in 2017 with identical problems and the most polarized political environment in history?

And just how long is it supposed to take to revise Obamacare? Do we compare it to the time Abe Lincoln repealed and replaced Obamacare? Or how about the time those other presidents repealed and replaced Obamacare in the year 2017?

I saw an article in Politico that is too dumb to link to, saying it is objectively true that Trump has had a bad first 100 days. This is a perfect example of what I call the “two movies on one screen effect.” I’m almost certain that many Trump supporters would say these facts are objectively true too:

- Economic confidence is up.

- Trump signed a bunch of executive orders. You might not like them, but that’s more about you, not about his job performance.

- China is putting the screws on North Korea (finally)

- Trump erased the “puppet of Putin” charge by prudent application of Tomahawk missiles. That’s an accomplishment, even if you don’t like it.

- Trump erased the “Trump is Hitler” hallucination that the Clinton side spray-painted onto him during the election. (That’s a big deal.)

- Trump got a qualified Supreme Court judge, albeit the hard way.

- Healthcare is moving along briskly from the first plan that was terrible to something that is approaching feasible. That’s progress, not failure.

- Tax reform will probably be slower than we want, but most observers expect something good to come of it.

- International relations look fine. The only awkward relationship is with Putin, and that’s the awkward relationship Trump’s detractors want.

- Illegal immigration is way down because of Trump’s persuasion.

Now let’s look at the things President Trump did wrong in his first 100 days:

- You can criticize Trump’s actions against women’s reproductive rights, both on the topic of Planned Parenthood funding and his Supreme Court pick. But calling those things failures or successes depends on your political views, not on Trump’s job performance.

- I think you could make an objective case against Trump for putting economics above the environment. But you’d have to ignore the fact that a stronger economy almost always puts you in a better position to keep the environment clean. (Trump says that.) You don’t see clean air and water in poor countries.

- President Trump reversed a bunch of campaign statements from impractical positions to more practical ones. Is that failure?

- President Trump said a bunch of things that did not pass the fact-checking, surprising literally no one. And as usual, none of it mattered in any way except that it made us focus on whatever topic he wanted us to focus on.

- President Trump’s staff and advisors are reportedly doing a lot of in-fighting for influence. But that sounds more like a healthy situation than a Trump-is-dictator situation. It would be worse if there were no differences of opinion in the group.

- President Trump has been slow to fill lots of government positions. But has any of that mattered to your life? I haven’t noticed, personally. Was the Secretary of Whatever supposed to come over and mow my lawn?

- President Trump did not release his tax returns, so we imagine there are problems there.

- President Trump incorrectly claimed that his staff had been “wiretapped.” It turns out that they were only legally surveilled in an indirect way. Which only sounds different to his critics.

Generally speaking, the criticisms of President Trump’s first 100 days (and in general) are based on imaginary stuff:

- Imagined problems on his tax returns.

- Imagined blackmail by Russia.

- Imagined poor performance based on imagining a control case of another imaginary president doing the same job at the same time, but doing it faster.

- Imaginary belief that doing things you prefer he not do is similar to not being competent.

- Imagined staff problems that are bigger than they are.

- Imagined nuclear holocaust that happens because of Trump’s imaginary insanity.

- Imagined problems caused by his ignoring of facts that don’t matter.

- Imagined future climate calamity. (They could be right, but for now it is imaginary because complex models have a bad track record.)

No surprise that Adams is doing his best to try and twist Trump's "Obama wiretapped Trump Tower" tweet into something close to reality instead of the insane ramblings of an idiot manchild. I mean what other choice does he have, to admit Trump was dumb and wrong about something?

I'm also quite fond of his constant "Trump did this thing and that means he's a great President, if you disagree that's just because your political views are wrong."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
most of the popular "Scientists" don't practice much science anymore - Tyson, Hawkins, Sam Harris never did after getting his PhD. really though when applied to Nye he doesn't present himself as a scientist but rather a "Science Guy" which he's firmly demonstrated his credentials. imo no matter what credentials you have you're not a scientist by the strictest sense of the term unless you're doing research and publishing. this makes many educators like Tyson not necessarily science but the much rarer and arguably more useful Science Guys

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Pander posted:

I'd say requiring a PhD to be labeled a scientist disqualifies many of the people actually doing scientific work.

boner confessor posted:

imo no matter what credentials you have you're not a scientist by the strictest sense of the term unless you're doing research and publishing. this makes many educators like Tyson not necessarily science but the much rarer and arguably more useful Science Guys

There are plenty of people in industry who are doing scientific work and not publishing anything externally beyond patents. Are they not scientists?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 26, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pander posted:

"Hard" vs "soft" science is a horseshit concept directly responsible for social sciences getting gutted in the past. It needs to die, not get enshrined as a prerequisite to being a "true" scientist.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Keeshhound posted:

"Hard" vs "soft" science is a horseshit concept directly responsible for social sciences getting gutted in the past. It needs to die, not get enshrined as a prerequisite to being a "true" scientist.

Yeah I'd consider Leonardo da Vinci to have been a scientist even though he didn't have a scientific degree (for whatever that would have been worth at the time.)

But really most Bill Nye hatred is just a proxy battle for climate change deniers and/or transphobes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also quite fond of his constant "Trump did this thing and that means he's a great President, if you disagree that's just because your political views are wrong."

The "women's rights is a matter of perspective" seems to be a thing they're going to push because I saw Laura Ingraham on Fox News last night making the same argument. Basically they were getting outraged about Ivanka getting booed and Ingraham said that Ivanka just needs to realize that the liberals will never not boo her because they just oppose her father. To which Juan Williams tried to insert some reality by saying that women probably have a reason to be upset at Trump. He seemed to be under some kind of network gag order not to mention the "pussy" tape or the sexual assault accusations so he just did a lot of "come on..." while Ingraham said "What? Name something he was bad on?" So he finally brought up Planned Parenthood and equal pat to which she dropped the "matter of political perspective" thing.

Donald Trump is a defender of women's rights... as long as we redefine what women's rights are.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

DeadlyMuffin posted:

There are plenty of people in industry who are doing scientific work and not publishing anything externally beyond patents. Are they not scientists?

Publish or perish. Those poor souls' only hope is Obamacare's death panels putting them out of their misery. Ironically, the death panels are living on borrowed time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah okay the president told a bunch of stupid easily disprovable lies, but if you don't like him for that then that says more about your disloyalty to Dear Leader than about his performance

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's probably just a coincidence and I don't want to allow myself hope because I've trained myself to assume the liberals suffer from "victory fatigue" and go back to being largely inert after scoring one minute win that makes the world a better place, buuuut... Jesse Watters has been banished to the same shadow realm of the "unscheduled vacation" that O'Reilly was sent to before he got fired after Watters made an extremely unsubtle joke about Ivanka Trump and blowjobs on his brand new prime time show yesterday and Lisa Bloom equally unsubtly threatened that she was going to come after his job next as a result of the joke.

Again, I don't want to allow myself to hope, but if Jesse Watters gets fired within weeks, hell, days of O'Reilly for being a loving fratboy creepo that would be amazing. Maybe the Murdoch boys really are serious about cleaning up dad's little sleeze shop. Who know?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's definitely not getting fired. That whole "What, I did something offensive? Well I'm gonna go on vacation for a few days so I don't make it worse and let it pass over" is like the Fox News 101 trick. It just didn't work with O'Reilly because he was bleeding advertisers and money and it had already gone much too far.

If people are advertising on the Five than they're already completely ok with the garbage that comes out of Gutfeld's mouth. Waters is just a second one of him. That show is a cesspool and my only real question is if it can really last in prime time between its unique combination of stupidity, crassness, daytime talk show stupidness, and a dirty "liberal" offering dissenting views.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Nice thing about the phrase "liberal fascism" is that it implies fascism is an inherently conservative ideology.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/857584132037242880

Welp

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Despera posted:

Nice thing about the phrase "liberal fascism" is that it implies fascism is an inherently conservative ideology.

Do you remember fundamentalist opposition to set theory?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Happy Ed Balls Day Eve, everybody! :suicide101:

just lol that Nattyreview is still mad at Bill Nye.

Master Shake posted:

On Wednesday’s Mark Levin show, While Trump’s agenda in his first 100 days has suffered largely at the hands of incompetent GOP leadership in Congress, the permanent, leftist government is doing just fine thanks to bureaucrats and left-wing judges. Judge William Orrick, a district judge and former Barack Obama cash bundler in San Francisco, blocked Trump’s executive order defunding sanctuary cities. This judge was a politically-motivated actor who bought his seat. This is what happens when our federal government becomes so unmoored from our Constitution. It’s very dangerous when judges take it upon themselves to tell the nation what is and isn’t right. One clear remedy to this situation and others like it would be a wholesale reform of the judicial system under Article III of the Constitution, but Congress is not going to take power away from the courts.

Also, Mark Meadows, head of the Freedom Caucus, stopped a completely disastrous healthcare bill from being rammed down our throats. Now he has negotiated a healthcare deal that will be more acceptable to most Republicans. Later, Trump deserves an enormous amount of credit when it comes to rolling back regulations. He signed an executive order on Wednesday to remove the Antiquities Act and give land and power back to the states. The Antiquities Act has been used to nationalize enormous amounts of land. Recently, George W. Bush was disastrous with this and Obama nationalized so much land, ocean and water.

Finally, Josh Meyer of Politico calls in to talk to discuss his story on the hidden Iran deal giveaway.

I like how nothing is ever Trump's fault, he was always tricked or outmaneuvered or misinformed or whatever. The party of personal responsibility, everyone :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Xibanya posted:

thinkingfaceemoji.png

I've always kind of wanted to see a city not actually take them down, but instead publicly say that they are now open targets. Like, take a sledgehammer to it, tag it with graffiti, throw eggs at it, and none of that is considered illegal or vandalism.
Don't quietly remove it in the early hours of the morning, let the people make it a monument to disgrace.

fishmech posted:

Everything else aside, that's a lovely shirt as far as weird joke titty shirts go.

IIRC the shirt was like an inside joke within the team working on the rocket. Like, everyone knew the shirt was hilariously ugly and tacky and had made it into a running joke, and someone said "hey, you should wear it when we're announcing our success to the press, it'll be great!" And nobody stopped and went "oooohhh....that might have some bad optics."