Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thin Privilege posted:

Is there a mod that lets you clone buildings, like if you click on a building it'll automatically put it as what you want to place? With my 5000 or so assets, it gets really hard sometimes finding a specific item I want to place. Especially if they're assigned as a park. I have so many non-park park items :(

Also a pet peeve: people these days that don't do RICO items, even if their asset is really well made; for example, the marina hotel that's at the front page. Come one, you just have to put it in a folder! Blah

e: oh and the City Highschool asset, where some of the assets are in education and some are in parks. It makes no sense!

Building eyedropper
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438449058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Thank you! Gonna try it out right now.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has performance degraded with the DLC? I haven't played in ages but got a new 1080Ti and decided to jump back in with the last two DLC's. I couldn't get over the lovely performance I was getting, mainly between 25-40 fps at 2560x1440 on an 4790k. As soon as I would hit an area of the map with trees I would go as low as TWO. TWO FPS! I played something like 125 hours prior to this and don't remember it being this bad.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

suddenlyissoon posted:

Has performance degraded with the DLC? I haven't played in ages but got a new 1080Ti and decided to jump back in with the last two DLC's. I couldn't get over the lovely performance I was getting, mainly between 25-40 fps at 2560x1440 on an 4790k. As soon as I would hit an area of the map with trees I would go as low as TWO. TWO FPS! I played something like 125 hours prior to this and don't remember it being this bad.

I'm running a 1080 and my FPS is entirely capped by my CPU unless I'm running the game at 8k, and this is with like 2000 mods. I'm not sure what your problem could be. Maybe the game doesn't play nice with TIs?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

turn off the TV posted:

Was your first area highly developed/upgraded? There's a good chance that when you dezoned that area you evicted a large number of uneducated citizens, and new arrivals can't fill their jobs.

This helped me find the answer - I had 46% unemployment because everyone was highly educated. Turned the entire starting peninsula into offices and now the city has rebounded.

I can't believe how great this game is, as someone who played the poo poo out of the original Sim City on SNES and has always had a strange love for city planning. I bought a high end PC and half a dozen AAA games but this is all I play on it now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is the go to suite of vanilla+/QOL mods these days? Haven't played since snowfall.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 27, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's someone on reddit who wrote up a fairly huge post complaining that the CO development sandbox cities don't have pretty enough designs or fine detailing. :psyduck:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The monorail implementation reminds me of SimCity (2015)'s implementation of trains in the median of avenues. Interesting, somewhat limited.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gyshall posted:

What is the go to suite of vanilla+/QOL mods these days? Haven't played since snowfall.

I just went digging for this post the other day - Bold Robot had a good starting list of stuff:

Bold Robot posted:

Work blocks steam so this is just off the top of my head and I can't provide links but I would start with the following - I am forgetting some but the below are a good start in terms of making your city look more realistic and interesting than the base game:

- Move It!: Lets you move things after placing them (buildings, roads, etc.). Can't imagine going back to the game without i.
- Ploppable RICO: Lets you place buildings that function as residential/industrial/commercial/office like growables do (as opposed to being non-functional landmarks). Many of the best buildings on the workshop use this mod. Absolutely essential for making your city look realistic.
- Fine Road Anarchy: Gives you much more control over how you place roads in terms of their heights, whether they snap, whether they overlap with things, etc.
- Sharp Junction Angles: Lets you join roads at a finer angle than allowed by default; looks much better in certain scenarios, especially offramps. This might be obsoleted by Fine Road Anarchy? Not sure.
- More Beautification: Lets you place props in game. Good for detailing.
- Prop Anarchy: Goes well with More Beautification, lets you put props on other than empty space
- Metro Overhaul Mod: Lets you build subways above ground. Includes cool subway track assets. IMO this adds more and better content to the game than any individual DLC so far.
- Network Extensions: Adds extra road types.
- Realistic Population and Consumption: Changes the way the game calculates residents and jobs for buildings. Very large buildings provide a LOT of jobs and small homes only hold 1 or 2 families. This has the effect of giving you a dense downtown that provides a ton of jobs, surrounded by a lot of residential space. End result is a more realistic looking city.

The above mods barely affect performance, if at all. There are also some popular mods that improve the traffic AI and let you do stuff like edit intersections (turn lanes, light timing, etc.). These can have a major impact on performance and for that reason I don't like them. The game runs lovely enough as it is once you start dropping a lot of assets in and your city gets large. As nice as more realistic traffic might be, I don't think it's worth the performance hit. Your mileage may vary.

Mods and custom assets are what make this game great. If you have never messed with them before you are in for a treat. I could never play vanilla now.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Gyshall posted:

John Murdoch posted:

I just went digging for this post the other day - Bold Robot had a good starting list of stuff:

Add the enable achievements mod, if you're interested in achievements

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 27, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm suddenly wanting to play this game but I'm too scared I'll get into a city I like and then the update will break everything I love and it will never be fixed.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm suddenly wanting to play this game but I'm too scared I'll get into a city I like and then the update will break everything I love and it will never be fixed.

Now would be a pretty bad time. The update will break a ton of stuff. It's been long enough since the last update that it wouldn't shock me if some modders have left the scene.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Baronjutter posted:

Just play until the update comes out, it's still 18 days away.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Now would be a pretty bad time. The update will break a ton of stuff. It's been long enough since the last update that it wouldn't shock me if some modders have left the scene.

Please don't say that where the good people of Friendland might hear you. Friendland is perfect. Friendland is timeless. Friendland will never, ever, ever die.

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IS there a way to totally opt out of updates both for workshop items and game patches? I'd love to just say "Never talk to my game or my mods ever again" and enjoy my current setup until like a month after the DLC is out and all the good mods have been re-established or updated.

Wow, there really doesn't seem to be.

There's actually no "manual updates only" or something option. If there's a game-ruining patch you absolutely can't avoid it. Can I like... unplug my modem before launching skylines and protect my self that way?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 5, 2017

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

My dude, with the Juche Ideal, anything is possible.

You can toy with settings, but I don't think you can explicitly restrict updates. You gotta toy with Steam global settings; for example, restrict updates to while games are not running and then just always run Cities while connected to the internet. You can restrict updates to the hours of 3AM and 3AM and then never have your computer on/connected during that time. You can download firewall software and restrict Steam's internet access. You can unplug your computer from the internet.

You can uninstall your dumb loving mods too and start afresh

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You could possibly set up a family share account just for CS and only launch that profile in offline mode.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

You could keep Steam in offline mode for a while, though that of course won't work if you're trying to play something else that needs the internet during that time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I seem to remember that there is a separate folder for non steam mods or something so the solution is to copy your mods over to turn then local only.

If not a folder then a setting because you don't exactly need steam to bootstrap a mod you are working on before publishing.

E. Leaves game patchses needing offline I guess.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
If you right-click the game from Steam, go to properties, then hit up the Betas tab, does it give you the option to manually select a version of the game? I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd check it out myself, but I know this has worked for me in other games.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

If you right-click the game from Steam, go to properties, then hit up the Betas tab, does it give you the option to manually select a version of the game? I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd check it out myself, but I know this has worked for me in other games.

Nope, some games do, skylines doesn't. Some games I remember even letting me not have it auto-update. I've never had to gently caress around with such things or care because I've never played a game where you needed like 100 mods to make the game "literally playable"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what happened to the CityCopter mod? I can't find it in the workshop anymore. I just got the urge to start paying again and have been battling with getting thousands of assets and a hundred mods to work together and now that I have it somewhat under control I just wanted to unwind by flying around a bit!

Also, is there any consensus on which first person camera mod is the best overall?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the CityCopter mod? I can't find it in the workshop anymore. I just got the urge to start paying again and have been battling with getting thousands of assets and a hundred mods to work together and now that I have it somewhat under control I just wanted to unwind by flying around a bit!

Also, is there any consensus on which first person camera mod is the best overall?

Isn't the helicopter mod at least a year old at this point? Even if you can find a copy of it it's almost certainly going to be incompatible with the current version of the game.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Any ideas on how to deal with agent limits at higher populations? There's apparently no way to manually increase the vehicle limit and while I could just use a demand mod, that just means I have this massive city with very few cars. :smith:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It would only help a little, but I seem to remember the seagulls are agents and there is a mod to get rid of them. Might net you a few hundred agents.

Or I'm mistaken.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

New dev diary is up, covering transit hubs and intersection control/road naming. This all looks great, especially the intersection design stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And here's the poo poo everyone's been waiting for. Aw yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All good additions. All additions you can get via modding but all good additions regardless.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

All good additions. All additions you can get via modding but all good additions regardless.

Yeah, the point is that you dont need a mod for it now...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And they won't break when updates come out and will probably be safer.

And even if they're not detailed enough, the new interface will provide much better hooks for mods to build on top of.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All I'm feeling is meh. Why is it so hard to build a custom, for example, a six track train station with 4 bus stops in game? Why do I have to build a massive downtown station in a small suburb if I want a bus/train station? One size fits all?

I am angry about inconveniences. :rant:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

Yes but I am still essentially paying for something I already have for free.

Depending on the price I might be willing to because it is the sort of content I think they should be adding even if they're so late with it that someone else already did it.

I would, ideally, like to see them add functionality that can't really be modded in, though, and/or functionality which will facilitate better mods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HORMELCHILI posted:

Considering that the intersection manager is a fraction of what TM:PE can do, it's not going to replace it for anyone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Considering that the intersection manager is a fraction of what TM:PE can do, it's not going to replace it for anyone.

I'd lay odds that the next version of TM:PE will be recorded entirely to build atop the native intersection manager and be much better for it, though.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I'd lay odds that the next version of TM:PE will be recorded entirely to build atop the native intersection manager and be much better for it, though.

Exactly its nothing but a positive. If you can possibly come to terms with making the massive investment of 15 dollars that is

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
drat I hate to want to rush through life but the 22nd can't come soon enough!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm super stoked about mod content being integrated into the game because that means I don't have to worry about poo poo conflicting or breaking constantly.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm super stoked about mod content being integrated into the game because that means I don't have to worry about poo poo conflicting or breaking constantly.

This. In some games it might not be exciting if mod content gets integrated into the base game, but for Cities there are so many "mandatory" mods (at least to play the game the way this thread wants to) that it's very hard to avoid mods conflicting, breaking, being abandoned, generally being janky, and so on. I wish CO would do more of this and integrate more of the best mods into the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

This. In some games it might not be exciting if mod content gets integrated into the base game, but for Cities there are so many "mandatory" mods (at least to play the game the way this thread wants to) that it's very hard to avoid mods conflicting, breaking, being abandoned, generally being janky, and so on. I wish CO would do more of this and integrate more of the best mods into the game.

The problem is when they integrate the general idea of a mod into the game but in a "simplified" way that misses the point of the mod and you end up still needing a mod to get the same functionality as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

The problem is when they integrate the general idea of a mod into the game but in a "simplified" way that misses the point of the mod and you end up still needing a mod to get the same functionality as before.

To be fair the features which they can't simplify are implemented in much better ways than what mods made available. Sub buildings/multi track stations work way better than the earlier mod, and their new road protractor also looks much better than the mod. They also have added features that mods weren't even touching, like draggable quays, the day/night cycle, weather, etc.

But yeah, I have no idea why they're so hell bent on making everything as idiot proof and simple as possible. If people are confused or overwhelmed by those features they can just, you know, not use them.