Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Someone found the two jobs with the most insufferable people in the world and smashed them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

We keep sales people honest and demo tech to prospective clients. Apparently we are a pain in the rear end to support? I am in Infosec, which makes me the worst.

When I worked for $nameless_AV_vendor, your kind tended to be the worst as in not explaining to the customers what they were up against. Now that I am at the receiving end as a customer for a large natural resource company, so I get to see why your kind caused me the most problems.

So yeah. Your kind are a pain in the rear end. :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

We keep sales people honest and demo tech to prospective clients. Apparently we are a pain in the rear end to support? I am in Infosec, which makes me the worst.

Which threat intelligence feed company do you work for? Will you give me another ipad if I hear your demo?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Pieces are falling in place.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bEatmstrJ posted:

Man, tough crowd. I didn't know you guys hated rocks so much.

I studied geology, rocks rule. What kind of rocks are you gonna use? Plz dont say granite, go with something a little more unique. Olivine?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Lookit this rock hipster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You want something like really porous lava rock to maximize the surface area for mold and moisture retention.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

got any sevens posted:

I studied geology, rocks rule. What kind of rocks are you gonna use? Plz dont say granite, go with something a little more unique. Olivine?

Things are not set in stone. Don't get too excited.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those who live in glass (floored) houses shouldn't throw make tub basins from stones.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Things are not set in stone. Don't get too excited.

Your a good egg/rock.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

When I worked for $nameless_AV_vendor, your kind tended to be the worst as in not explaining to the customers what they were up against. Now that I am at the receiving end as a customer for a large natural resource company, so I get to see why your kind caused me the most problems.

So yeah. Your kind are a pain in the rear end. :)

Every vendor of any type has it's pros and cons. Just as myself selecting a contractor, companies must select vendors with little to go on but hopefully unbiased reviews and a demonstrable knowledge of their field. Unfortunately, a lot of customers also use marketing buzz to influence their decisions. With any technology you're going to run into issues because every environment is different and new challenges will present themselves. There is no doubt that I will run into issues with my contractor and may have to make adjustments as things progress. But if I am a good Sales Engineer, it's in my best interest to earn your respect and help you with your challenges. Maybe you've worked with poo poo vendors, or maybe you're a poo poo customer, but the fact doesn't change that you need us and we need you and we're going to do what it takes to make things work, despite the challenges.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Pumice.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

Baronjutter posted:

You want something like really porous lava rock to maximize the surface area for mold and moisture retention.

Don't listen to this guy. Get something easy to clean and gently caress the haters saying you'll grow a mold farm in your bathroom.

Obsidian all the way. You can get huge pieces of it and just smash it into the size you need.
If you want to mine it yourself I believe you'll need a diamond pickaxe but don't quote me on that (its been a while).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Which threat intelligence feed company do you work for? Will you give me another ipad if I hear your demo?

Norse

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, if the rocks are necessary, I think I've got a mold-free solution. Lower the floor even more, then put in the rocks, then put in enough water to completely cover the rocks, then add a pond filter to agitate and clean the water. No mold. Maybe some algae, but I think the room is dark enough with that one window walled up that it shouldn't be a problem. Then, since you've got the rocks and the water and the filter and everything, go ahead and add some fish.

Put your tub in a koi pond.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, if the rocks are necessary, I think I've got a mold-free solution. Lower the floor even more, then put in the rocks, then put in enough water to completely cover the rocks, then add a pond filter to agitate and clean the water. No mold. Maybe some algae, but I think the room is dark enough with that one window walled up that it shouldn't be a problem. Then, since you've got the rocks and the water and the filter and everything, go ahead and add some fish.

Put your tub in a koi pond.

Just make a shaft all the way down to the crawl space. Full fish tank. Obviously the tub will just float at the top. Load bearing fish tank. You're welcome.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Vulcan posted:

Obsidian all the way. You can get huge pieces of it and just smash it into the size you need.
If you want to mine it yourself I believe you'll need a diamond pickaxe but don't quote me on that (its been a while).

gonna quote you on that

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

idea:
a forum for people who want to improve the things around them to show off said things

reality:
a computer toucher with too much money destroys his own home from the inside out to feel closer to nature

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

atomicthumbs posted:

pro tip did he say what sort of "engineer" he was? because you might want to find someone who's not a software engineer

Bad Munki posted:

Social engineer

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm a Sales Engineer.
Close enough. OP, are you the engineer that suggested covering these things up before the inspector sees them? IS THE ENGINEERING COMING FROM INSIDE THE structurally compromised HOUSE???

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Close enough. OP, are you the engineer that suggested covering these things up before the inspector sees them? IS THE ENGINEERING COMING FROM INSIDE THE structurally compromised HOUSE???

Fret not Mr. Munki. I have been assured that I will be provided with plans drawn up and expertly stamped by a real live structural engineer who has actual numerals next to his name.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dang, oh well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
OP, seriously, how do you plan on cleaning the rocks? Spray them with bleach solution one a week or?

Are they going to be loose 2-3" stones? Won't your foot just sink into them down to the pan or are they not intended to be walked on?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Hang in there OP, goons love to pile on.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zahgaegun posted:

Hang in there OP, goons love to pile on.

I just voted 5 and I never vote. Op n me are tite

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

OP, seriously, how do you plan on cleaning the rocks? Spray them with bleach solution one a week or?

Are they going to be loose 2-3" stones? Won't your foot just sink into them down to the pan or are they not intended to be walked on?

Okay, his plan is a hilarious disaster in progress but do you regularly sink in gravel and sand or something?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

Fret not Mr. Munki. I have been assured that I will be provided with plans drawn up and expertly stamped by a real live structural engineer who has actual numerals next to his name.

By that you mean an actual engineer has come along and done the computations?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Stultus Maximus posted:

Okay, his plan is a hilarious disaster in progress but do you regularly sink in gravel and sand or something?

Uh, yeah? A few inches or so.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uh, yeah? A few inches or so.

An ascended goon, he has moved to a new phase of existence, having become an actual liquid.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

In the pics OP linked the tub is usually close enough in some places where one can step out of the tub onto tile.

No clue about cleaning them. Maybe we can come up with some plans on how to do so by the time he's done with the project.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Man, tough crowd. I didn't know you guys hated rocks so much.

Please post a video of your reaction when you first try to clean the rocks between the tub and wall right about amidships, several months from now. TIA

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just dont clean it and remodel every 6 months.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Snak posted:

Just dont clean it and remodel every 6 months.

The nice thing about this is that for any structural members that have developed mold in that time, you can just cut away the affected portions and call it good!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could paint the rocks with Kilz, plus then they would be white rocks, extra classy

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Encapsulate the rocks in a clear epoxy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Encapsulate the entire bathroom in a clear epoxy.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Encapsulate the rocks in mortar.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Encapsulate the rocks in mortar.

Just replace the cut away sections of those beams with a slab of concrete with large decorative rocks embedded in it. Surely concrete has as much compressive strength as wood :pseudo:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

got any sevens posted:

Fake geologist spotted. No rock nerd would miss this opportunity to suggest Cummingtonite.

Or did I miss a joke about how Olivine is thought to be the most abundant mineral in Earth’s mantle at shallower depths? Or how easily weathered it is? I only took a couple of geology courses, but do youself a favor OP and consider Arsenopyrite. It sparkles like gold.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Stitecin posted:

Fake geologist spotted. No rock nerd would miss this opportunity to suggest Cummingtonite.

Or did I miss a joke about how Olivine is thought to be the most abundant mineral in Earth’s mantle at shallower depths? Or how easily weathered it is? I only took a couple of geology courses, but do youself a favor OP and consider Arsenopyrite. It sparkles like gold.

No, I just like the color. I got to go to the green sand beach on Hawaii :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

You say mold farm like it's a joke. Oh no, few little black spots on the rocks, no need to go swallowing a pistol over THAT surely.

Let me tell you about trichoderma. It's not really harmful. It sucks to get a face full of spores but otherwise it won't hurt you. It's not usually a problem for homeowners because the humidity requirements are so outlandish it's not a common pest mold (unless you leave onions out too long.)

In a room with 80-90% RH, 24/7, at roughly 23-25C... it ate a god drat book. More than one, actually. Another few weeks and it would have started in on the carpet probably. Or, in a bathroom, towels or whatever.

Luckily there's nowhere in your house with such extremes of humidity and temperature. Except maybe where warm water collects under your nature tub after you take a hot steamy bath.

By the way some species of it can eat wood.

edit: bonus if that recessed light from the kitchen that's below the tub constantly warms the standing water in the rocks

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2017

• Locked thread