Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

sigma 6 posted:

Can you tell me how you use the smudge brush?

Hey it occurred to me that I didn't answer this completely. And it's easy to do a GifCam demo real quick

This is using Kylebrush.com brushes and smudge tools.

So I try to keep like, some texture and some edges while also capturing the diffusion that happens around the edge of a specular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

drat this is nice

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I sat down and did a greyscale painting today because my levels could use some serious work. I intend to start splashing colour on tomorrow but I realised I had an old image I painted of the same character knocking around whilst cleaning up my files and so I stuck them together for a side-by-side comparison.

This is nine months progress.

Edit: I think I'm just going to have to accept that I'm going to suck at hair forever.

Operation Juicebox fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Operation Juicebox posted:

I sat down and did a greyscale painting today because my levels could use some serious work. I intend to start splashing colour on tomorrow but I realised I had an old image I painted of the same character knocking around whilst cleaning up my files and so I stuck them together for a side-by-side comparison.

This is nine months progress.

Edit: I think I'm just going to have to accept that I'm going to suck at hair forever.

hey nice!

You might find this useful. It's a color grading tutorial in Photoshop by Artgerm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9Jui9wQNg

I think the form of your hair is great, you just need to add some shine in the body of the form

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
That is the exact tutorial I had lined up for tomorrow! I really love Artgerm.

I don't really 'get' hair to be honest with you. I have some nice hair strand brushes I want to try out and I will probably tweak it a bit when I am up.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Operation Juicebox posted:

That is the exact tutorial I had lined up for tomorrow! I really love Artgerm.

I don't really 'get' hair to be honest with you. I have some nice hair strand brushes I want to try out and I will probably tweak it a bit when I am up.

your outline is fine! Perhaps add some very slight blur around the edges around the face but 95% of rendering hair is from light within the borders. I avoid using "hair" brushes because it is a bit too much realism for the way I tend to draw. I think you might be looking for more of a wider paint stroke with smears at the upper and lower ends.

hey so I just wanted to give an example of what I would do. your drawing has a mix of hard edges and blended forms so to stick with that look I'd do this. I also added some gradual shadow under her bangs to match the look on her neck under her jaw.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 21, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You need to treat hair during construction as solid masses. Long hair is ribbon - like clumps. Short hair is like a sculpted helmet. Start there and only add detail like strands later if necessary.

Do some loish emulation studies or find a tutorial she's done on hair.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I decided to spend this week studying by drawing a face blind and then following tutorials to try and deanimfy (it's a technical term) bit by bit. It didn't go well, but I did travel through the uncanny valley at lightning speed.

Starting image:

Straight into the uncanny valley:

Roaring through it at high speeds:

Fixing the skull/hair:

gently caress it I'm done:

Positives: I think I got better at realistic noses. Negatives: staring at the same picture and examining the flaws for multiple days will inevitably fill you with existential dread and make you want to eat your tablet alongside your sins.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I really like what you started with :shrug:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It turns out the Nintendo Switch's Joycons are trivial to connect to your PC via Bluetooth, and with the help of JoyToKey, well...

(configuration shown is for the R-joycon; may be different if you use an L-joycon) The analog stick is bound to undo/redo and brush size.

I don't know how this compares to MS's new fancy wheel thing but my experience is A++ highly recommended if your flow keeps getting disrupted by you having to fumble on the keyboard or hunt buttons on the screen. And if you don't have a Switch, either :getin: or just grab one of the individual joycons they sell!

Edit: If you actually do get a joycon and have no Switch, you'll need to buy a charging grip for it.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 25, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
^wrong thread dork

crossposting this because I drat well can.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Er, no, this is definitely where I meant to post it. That wasn't a gaming thing; with the pen in my left hand and the joycon in my right hand, I'm able to use it to change brush size/undo/flip horizontal/whatever I want as soon as I think about it, rather than hunt for tiny buttons on Photoshop/Clip Studio's UI or find the shortcut on the keyboard.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I thought it was posted in the wrong thread too, then I thought about the comfort of using a switch controller and felt bad that you're looking for more uses with your video game toy.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Hey I have a folder of of a bunch of rough sketches and as sort of a palate cleanser I started rendering one of them. Could I get some comments about it, whatever comes to mind. Thaaaanks

I didn't mean to make her look so downtrodden, it just happened with the downward gaze and at-rest mouth. Will adjust that, it's supposed to be a happy pose :dance:

Could use some critique on this one too please, thanks!

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Torso too long, could stand for foreshortening in the middle by just shifting the upper and lower torso in towards each other and making adjustments to the midsection lines from there.

Otherwise... I'm not sure. do that first and maybe the rest will fall in place?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Torso too long, could stand for foreshortening in the middle by just shifting the upper and lower torso in towards each other and making adjustments to the midsection lines from there.

Otherwise... I'm not sure. do that first and maybe the rest will fall in place?

okay, cool. I'll look for some foreshortening references for that too. I have a habit of too-long torsos and necks.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
doing art for some elf games.

i think practicing figure drawing has helped me get out of my slump but cloth hanging is the next big issue i'm noticing.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

deathbot posted:

I decided to spend this week studying by drawing a face blind and then following tutorials to try and deanimfy (it's a technical term) bit by bit. It didn't go well, but I did travel through the uncanny valley at lightning speed.

Starting image:

Straight into the uncanny valley:

Roaring through it at high speeds:

Fixing the skull/hair:

gently caress it I'm done:

Positives: I think I got better at realistic noses. Negatives: staring at the same picture and examining the flaws for multiple days will inevitably fill you with existential dread and make you want to eat your tablet alongside your sins.

if you want to "deanimify" you might try this exercise a few times:
Draw from an upside down picture of a face and use a really big brush.
Draw areas of light and dark—don't let yourself draw "an eye," "a nose," etc because your brain will just default to anime-derived abstract symbols you've stockpiled in your memory.
I did a (lovely) example here, where I started with a huge brush and, in the last stage, went to a slightly less big brush.

The idea is that you want to get into the mindset of thinking not of individual features but of whole faces with mass to them which cast shadows and reflect ambient light on themselves.

Understanding the face and its features in this way will help you abstract them into your own cartoon representation and make them look right and make sense.

One mindset I've seen a lot amongst people either trying to learn to draw anime or "deanimify" themselves is a reluctance to draw from reference. This is bad. Practice from reference (and I mean whole faces and whole bodies, not single features) as much as you can. Copy what you see. Draw from a mirror, if available.

Do draw from imagination as well, but make sure you're using what you learned from drawing from reference in these drawings.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Ok so I'm not an expert, but here's what I'd do:

This is all just minor tweaks.
There's nothing wrong with having a long torso, but with her arm pulling back, the breast would end up higher. I'd turn the 3/4 face away from the viewer a bit more, because ouch neckpain.
In both of your pictures the shoulders are narrow and bunched up high like under tension, just let them relax a bit. I also brought her elbow down a bit and added a some meat to her back where the shoulderblade is, the angle there is a bit steep.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ok so I'm not an expert, but here's what I'd do:

This is all just minor tweaks.
There's nothing wrong with having a long torso, but with her arm pulling back, the breast would end up higher. I'd turn the 3/4 face away from the viewer a bit more, because ouch neckpain.
In both of your pictures the shoulders are narrow and bunched up high like under tension, just let them relax a bit. I also brought her elbow down a bit and added a some meat to her back where the shoulderblade is, the angle there is a bit steep.

thank you!

I used your face outline and I'm curious if I turned the mouth too much while making it a smile. Did I turn her face again?

Hey diabetes forecast I edited the torso, is this working better?

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 27, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
ack just noticed they have very similar face angles. Was a problem with the sketches being similar, I'll turn the face differently on the next drawing :shrug:

looks like dva needs more stomach now too. Whatcha think

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

a hole-y ghost posted:

if you want to "deanimify" you might try this exercise a few times:
Draw from an upside down picture of a face and use a really big brush.
Draw areas of light and dark—don't let yourself draw "an eye," "a nose," etc because your brain will just default to anime-derived abstract symbols you've stockpiled in your memory.
I did a (lovely) example here, where I started with a huge brush and, in the last stage, went to a slightly less big brush.

The idea is that you want to get into the mindset of thinking not of individual features but of whole faces with mass to them which cast shadows and reflect ambient light on themselves.

Understanding the face and its features in this way will help you abstract them into your own cartoon representation and make them look right and make sense.

One mindset I've seen a lot amongst people either trying to learn to draw anime or "deanimify" themselves is a reluctance to draw from reference. This is bad. Practice from reference (and I mean whole faces and whole bodies, not single features) as much as you can. Copy what you see. Draw from a mirror, if available.

Do draw from imagination as well, but make sure you're using what you learned from drawing from reference in these drawings.

I wanted to say thank you very much! I've been following vilppu's figure drawing manual for learning bodies, but I still struggle with symbol drawing (esp. with the face) even after trying out Loomis and other books. I'll definitely add this practise to my daily routine! I won't post the results here because they're going to be baaaaaad for a long while I imagine.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

deathbot posted:

I wanted to say thank you very much! I've been following vilppu's figure drawing manual for learning bodies, but I still struggle with symbol drawing (esp. with the face) even after trying out Loomis and other books. I'll definitely add this practise to my daily routine! I won't post the results here because they're going to be baaaaaad for a long while I imagine.

if you want to get better, post them lol. My life drawing professor fixed my brain when she corrected my stuff in front of me. I went from cartoony to actually drawing what was in front of me in like three weeks.

I'll help however I can if you're up for it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

deathbot posted:

Yeah, welcome :mrgw::hf::mrgw:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I got some tips from an artist discord. That if the shoulders are level, the breasts should be at the same level. Was also advised it was NSFW without clothing so she has clothes. I flipped her body around because the face and body were pretty much on opposite perspectives. Was also suggested to not cut models off at the knees.

Any comments please lemme know. I'll use them.

deathbot, I'm not a teacher but I've considered some exercises that would help artists develop an eye for forms (and stop looking at outlines). If you're interested I could put a couple together for you to try. They're quick, easy and painless.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
please try and do that pose in the mirror and report back how successful you are

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oh. How should I adjust it?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
bend your back like widowmaker and let's trade mirror selfies lol

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Elsa posted:

bend your back like widowmaker and let's trade mirror selfies lol

no one can hide from my piles of laundry

then i tried your pose and lol

that is as far as i can bend my back

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I seriously think I pulled a muscle doing that

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I forget what were we talking abou?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
thanks for the fantastic thigh and back reference am I dreaming right now

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
focus elsa!! backs do not work that way!!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
okay no your back is definitely working

I made a deal.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
there ya go, see why the pose looks mega awkward now?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
yeah I guess that's what I get for not checking the structure first. rewarded

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm going to use that to fix the other thing. I made her headgear weird

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Elsa posted:

Hey diabetes forecast I edited the torso, is this working better?

I'm gonna be honest you really did not push it far enough.

this is me just modifying your thing

this is my really lovely 2 minute sketch line of where I think the midsection and back should actually be (also I think she'd look better with splayed arms)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm gonna be honest you really did not push it far enough.

this is me just modifying your thing

this is my really lovely 2 minute sketch line of where I think the midsection and back should actually be (also I think she'd look better with splayed arms)

that's perfect I'm going to use it! thanks a bunch bra

it looks like my rib cage was tilted too far downward for one