Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

People end up wondering because they've been so conditioned by most movies that there must be a reason for it. The notion that there isn't one - she dies the way she dies because of purely conditional reasons - is an alien concept.

They don't need to address it again, because it's such a drastic scene that flaunts convention*. We're still talking about it long after the movie is out because it's so jarringly different. A lady dies a Bad Guy Death without being a bad guy, just because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time around wrongly made monster-dinos. That just doesn't happen.

* Hell, I'd argue that the movie does it again in the finale(ish) of the movie. The gung-ho military guy gets an almost Good Guy Death from the raptor; off-screen and (if memory serves, it's been a while) rather bloodless.

Jurassic Park features an animal handler, that we have no reason to dislike, getting viciously mauled and killed on-screen, screaming for his life. Lost World features the friendly mechanic getting ripped in half on-screen. What you're talking about isn't a universal convention and is absolutely not a convention in the franchise.

Instead, I think Jurassic World is trying to do a horror movie thing of showing that anyone can die horribly. But it doesn't go anywhere with that, because that never pays off somewhere else. It's not consistent enough to actually establish some sort of terror over anyone being fair game. Not breaking convention, but doing a poor job of using a different one.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jonathan Demme passed away at 73.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

What you're talking about isn't a universal convention and is absolutely not a convention in the franchise.

It's enough of a convention that deliberately avoiding the convention for a character in JW is still talked about, trying to find the impossible: a lesson or meaning. There is none, because animals don't feed to provide others with a moral or message. They do it cuz they are hungry.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Instead, I think Jurassic World is trying to do a horror movie thing of showing that anyone can die horribly. But it doesn't go anywhere with that, because that never pays off somewhere else.

The scene itself is the pay off. How many random people need to be violently murdered in a out-of-control dino park to give the audience the hint that anyone and everyone can die horribly in such an environment?

Hell, I'd go as far as to say that doing it the way the film did - with one relatively-innocent person getting a horrifically violent and elaborate death - does that far more effectively than an alternative. After all, we're still talking about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jurassic World is total schlock. That assistant death is hilariously mean. Every death in that movie is mean as gently caress. It's an awful film, but it's pretty funny.

I genuinely love the music though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The scene itself is the pay off. How many random people need to be violently murdered in a out-of-control dino park to give the audience the hint that anyone and everyone can die horribly in such an environment?

Apparently more, because I certainly didn't spend the movie thinking the main characters faced any risk of actually dying.

It does function on the level CelticPredator is talking about. It's a fun kill. Should have been more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Totally agree. The only two kills that come some what close is Vincent D'Onofrio getting splattered all over the place, and the I-Rex.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Weren't there scenes that got cut showing that the assistant was mean to the younger brother?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

I assumed a lot of people died offscreen during the pterodactyl attack since there were so many people on the streets and so many dinos swooping around, they just only focused on one person and in a way normally reserved for a minor villain or something. Maybe all the other people were just good runners.

e: It's mostly just as ambiguous as possible. But I like the old guy grabbing 2 margaritas as he runs.

Now that's a hero death if I ever saw one.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

They don't need to address it again, because it's such a drastic scene that flaunts convention*. We're still talking about it long after the movie is out because it's so jarringly different. A lady dies a Bad Guy Death without being a bad guy, just because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time around wrongly made monster-dinos. That just doesn't happen.

The Jurassic series has been pretty consistent in killing people evenly, Good Guy or Bad Guy, with similar discretion shots (or lack of) for both.

I think it's the nature of it. It doesn't feel like a "wrong place, wrong time" thing, that would be the kid from the start of Lost World with the compy flock.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus the Lost World ended with proof of T-Rex paternal instinct as the adult T-Rex proudly urges and looks on as its kid devours corporate rear end in a top hat character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This would work better if she was like Richard Schiff in Lost World, unambiguously good, and even in the middle of trying to save some people. Instead, people end up wondering if, like, she's supposed to be bad because she was using her phone, or didn't let her fiance have a bachelor party, or whatever. And then the movie never addresses this supposed theme again.

It falls into the same plot hole as the kids' parents' marital issues.

Byzantine posted:

The Jurassic series has been pretty consistent in killing people evenly, Good Guy or Bad Guy, with similar discretion shots (or lack of) for both.

I think it's the nature of it. It doesn't feel like a "wrong place, wrong time" thing, that would be the kid from the start of Lost World with the compy flock.

It's been a while since I've seen all of the JP movies but the closest thing I can think of to a death as drawn out as the assistant's in JW is the guy in Lost World that gets T-Rex tag teamed. I fully expect someone to post a clip proving me totally wrong though.
Anyway, I don't think it's that "good" characters die in these movies or that their deaths aren't violent, but the way it was like an elaborate and drawn-out team combo move, really driving it home that this person is dead as gently caress and they're suffering a lot through it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 26, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cars 3 got a new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

and release dates for Star Wars Episode IX on May 24th, 2019 and Indiana Jones 5 on July 10th, 2020

The new hot trend for movie sites to write about this week is that there are R rated movies coming out. Exciting stuff, I can't believe movie journalism doesn't make any money.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

raditts posted:

Anyway, I don't think it's that "good" characters die in these movies or that their deaths aren't violent, but the way it was like an elaborate and drawn-out team combo move, really driving it home that this person is dead as gently caress and they're suffering a lot through it.

It was the first time a woman had been killed by a dino in the entire JP movie franchise so they had a lot of lost time to make up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

"Every time you lose, you damage yourself."

The fact that the businesscar is referring to McQueen's brand instead of his person has actually gotten me somewhat interested in this film.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What is this years Star Wars movie?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtyyIUcC_YQ

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Episode 8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

David Fincher is reteaming with Brad Pitt for WWZ2.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/david-fincher-world-war-z-2-director-1202399978/

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 27, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

This looks good. Gave me a "toy story 3" kind of vibe. Where you get to the logical end of the character and him coming to accept it and etc. Except in this case "Toy story 2" was actually about the toys revealing themselves to the world and in 3 they ignore because seriously, what the hell was that?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

At least it won't be a pile of worthless crap like the first one was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

At least it won't be a pile of worthless crap like the first one was.

I dunno, the last time David Fincher made a movie with Brad Pitt it was pretty handily his worst film., I'm more curious about whatever future project they agreed to let David Fincher do in exchange for WWZII.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David Fincher could film a piece of poo poo and it would be more interesting than WWZ. Hated that movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
WWZ gets points for being insanely racist, having some of ballsiest product placement of all time, and...well the opening was rad but making a cool opening to a zombie movie is like shooting fish in a confined space. I guess the bits at the airbase were kinda neat too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oh all these posts and it's just the same tired argument about the assistant death :smith:

Totally stoked for a M Night superhero v supervillain movie though.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Every assistant murdered by a dinosaur is a cycle of violence ended.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fincher should be making original IPs gently caress Brad for getting him involved in some dumb sequel

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Fincher should be making original IPs gently caress Brad for getting him involved in some dumb sequel

My hope is that David Fincher is only doing this to greenlight a future project the studio wouldn't do, I'm pretty sure all of Nolan's Batman flicks mostly exist so he could make The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Vegetable posted:

His last five movies were based on books though

Skwirl posted:

My hope is that David Fincher is only doing this to greenlight a future project the studio wouldn't do, I'm pretty sure all of Nolan's Batman flicks mostly exist so he could make The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar.

While the Batman movies enabled him to do those projects I don't think he did Batman purely for a paycheck, I remember him saying he wouldn't have made the third one if he didn't have a story for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WWZ sucked but it made for one of the best South Park episodes.

Several years ago I wanted to see a zombie movie that had a huge budget and went all out. Then I got it and it was a turd. The zombie trend tends to pop up whenever thibgs are really hosed up socially, which would be right now. I think they might have gone and wasted their opportunity.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Plus, Fincher wants to do a Star Wars movie (about droid slavery).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cacator posted:

His last five movies were based on books though

While the Batman movies enabled him to do those projects I don't think he did Batman purely for a paycheck, I remember him saying he wouldn't have made the third one if he didn't have a story for it.

I don't think they had to twist his arm super hard to make The Dark Knight Rises, but that also sounds like something he went over with a PR person dozens of times before going on a press tour. Even if literally the only reason he made that movie was money for his next project he's smart enough to not say that publicly.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Plus, Fincher wants to do a Star Wars movie (about droid slavery).

Huh I didn't know that

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

David Fincher's Star Wars' The Butlerian Jihad (But Good) is something I would love to see.

Also the man started out (and is still) making music videos, he's not afraid of doing 'commercial' stuff.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Then they have 2017 and 2019 pcovered, so what will the 2018 Star Wars movie be?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Han Solo: Origins.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Then they have 2017 and 2019 pcovered, so what will the 2018 Star Wars movie be?
Probably the Han Solo origin story. I normally hate origin stories but they got Donald Glover to be young Lando which just seems like perfect casting to me, so I'll probably give it a pass just for that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I can't be the only one who thinks about Tom Hanks' CES presentation when I see an ad for The Circle.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Whenever an ad for that pops up, for a second I think "Why is Tom Hanks doing a Ted Talk?"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8one6 posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks about Tom Hanks' CES presentation when I see an ad for The Circle.

So that movie is based on a Dave Eggers book that wholeheartedly rips off Kate Losse's book, The Boy Kings, from her time during the founding of facebook.

It's a super lovely and hosed up situation, especially since Emma Watson is on that whole UN feminism ambassador thing kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Emma Watson was found out to have money in a hidden overseas tax haven. Sure there are many legitimate reasons for a rich and famous person to do this, like anonymity, but the idea that Emma Watson is secretly evil and is using it to fund international terrorism or the slave trade in Mauritania or something is too good to pass up.

• Locked thread