Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm amazed that both of the games tonight are only game fives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

I wish I could but if Josef Isolatin didn't burst into flames in the 4th then there is no chance The Literally On Fire Effect is real

1) It was only the first round. That's barely a practice session to test the clutchness and intensity of a man such as Yusuf Insolato, just you wait until the stakes are ACTUALLY high, then you'll see.
or
2) Oh yeah explain this with your statistical models: http://i.imgur.com/wcgGVJ2.gif

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Genuine question, is there any reason to believe that Victor Oladipo is going to be worth anywhere near $20 million a year? I watched maybe 2-3 total Magic games during his tenure there, then like 10 regular season OKC games this year plus this current playoff series, and from what I've seen the answer is a resounding no. That's obviously not a huge sample so I'm wondering if I'm missing something or what.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
More info on NBA Playgrounds.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/12/nba-playgrounds-watch-the-gameplay-trailer-new-details/
Really hope this game is good.

"Key moments – like when a player is about to shoot a 6-pointer during the Lottery Pick 3-pointer bonus – also call for you to push your opponent down – it’s playground rules after all!"

worried about this aspect
"Lottery Pick System
Pour in enough buckets, and your team will get to spin the Lottery Pick wheel for a short term bonus. Bonuses include super speed shoes, 12 inches of extra height on dunks, a glowing blue ball that increases your shot percentage, and a 2x 3-pointer. Another cool aspect of the Lottery Pick system is that it makes you think twice about pushing down your opponent on defense, as you lose your lottery bar momentum. It’s playground rules, but playing a cleaner game can bring you some good karma."

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I guess I should've written Giuseppe Insolato for consistency's sake but I dunno if I want to get a reputation as a guy who's consistent

Sheriff posted:

Genuine question, is there any reason to believe that Victor Oladipo is going to be worth anywhere near $20 million a year? I watched maybe 2-3 total Magic games during his tenure there, then like 10 regular season OKC games this year plus this current playoff series, and from what I've seen the answer is a resounding no. That's obviously not a huge sample so I'm wondering if I'm missing something or what.

Upcoming cap raise means it's not an absurd contract for a pretty good but sub-all-star player. Problem is, he regressed this year. Most of his advanced stats were climbing slowly and they fell back once he switched teams.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oladivi01.html
If it was just a delay figuring out how to play with the new team and he goes back to improving, he could be worth the contract. I'd probably ignore the poor playoffs performance because he's a playoffs rookie.

I dunno I believe in him but I can see other folks disagreeing. Wasn't a great season for him.

Spacebump posted:

"Lottery Pick System
Pour in enough buckets, and your team will get to spin the Lottery Pick wheel for a short term bonus. Bonuses include super speed shoes, 12 inches of extra height on dunks, a glowing blue ball that increases your shot percentage, and a 2x 3-pointer. Another cool aspect of the Lottery Pick system is that it makes you think twice about pushing down your opponent on defense, as you lose your lottery bar momentum. It’s playground rules, but playing a cleaner game can bring you some good karma."

That's a pretty stupid option system since no reasonable person would anyone ever choose anything other than the 12 inches of extra height on dunks. Won't be purchasing.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 27, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
#actually its not a choice

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Zogo posted:

Don't believe these dirty politicians

NEVER BLUD

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the problem with oladipo's contract is it really isn't clear what he does particularly well. I think with the way the cap is heading, you have superstars getting max deals, but next after that is big contracts for players who can do something unique. Great shooter, great defender, someone who can create offense, stretch 4s, etc. He isn't a bad player, but he isn't a superstar, and i'm not sure what he is going to be especially good at to justify that kind of money.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
My dream is somehow okc can get rid of either dipo or kanter and sign Paul George

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
A word on hot hand analysis:

As I understand it, the analysis is done by looking for an 'average effect's i.e. does the hot reliably exist across all players in all situations. The evidence suggests no. However, this could mask a couple of things. For example, the hot hand could exist for people who consistently get open shots like Klay Thompson. His confidence grows and his shot selection stays the same. For Kobe Wade or Westbrook it could be counter productive. As they get 'hotter' they take dumber and dumber shots and their percentages fall.

If you add both types of players to the same analysis then the average effect could be zero (or small).

Not saying this is the case, just a plausible explanation for the difference between eye test and data.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Could also be explained by the 'gamblers fallacy'. Missing a shot could also sometimes increase confidence - e.g. I'm a 40% shooter and I've shot 2/8... That means the next two HAVE to go in right?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what a sorry loving excuse for a basketball team that the mummified corpse of anthony morrow is getting minutes over a loving lottery pick

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Well, like he was saying the burden of proof is currently on folks to show that it exists, the arguments against the model are established but nobody's presented anything predictive/useful to show if/when it's happening in any way that can be taken advantage of.

Although, now that I think of it,

dokmo posted:

it is rational to ignore hot hands since it has no (little) effect and the burden of proof has shifted to those who claim hot hands exist to provide evidence for their existence.

This a disconnect between the stats community and coaches, yeah? To me it looks like a lot of in-game coaching decisions are made with the assumption that hot-hand is real. (Examples off the top of my head, Hack-a-__ stops pretty quick when a bad ft shooter starts connecting, I think I see [could be wrong?] coaches call emergency timeouts are after a series made shots more than after a series of terrible defensive possessions that lead to open but missed shot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quizzlefish posted:

A word on hot hand analysis:

As I understand it, the analysis is done by looking for an 'average effect's i.e. does the hot reliably exist across all players in all situations. The evidence suggests no. However, this could mask a couple of things. For example, the hot hand could exist for people who consistently get open shots like Klay Thompson. His confidence grows and his shot selection stays the same. For Kobe Wade or Westbrook it could be counter productive. As they get 'hotter' they take dumber and dumber shots and their percentages fall.

This makes sense to me. It makes sense to get hot from similar spots on the court just from repetition and muscle memory. But shooting from everywhere because "the hoop looks a mile wide" is dumb and not going to get good results.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Hot hand analysis that starts the analysis as soon as a player hits 1 (ie, they call a player hot as soon as he makes his first shot) I think is missing the point of what people talk about regarding hot hand. This paper references studies that disprove hot hand, but I think that's a big flaw.

I dunno if it exists, and I think its really hard to differentiate a hot hand from a defensive mismatch or some combination of player health vs opponent health, and I am not sure it matters.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
the hot hand exists

exhibit A Jr Smiths entire career

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Metapod posted:

the hot hand exists

exhibit A Jr Smiths entire career

What if it's actually the cold hand that exists and JR Smith is really just clutch otherwise?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Hot hand is bullshit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/857407336805089280

"Hey Guys what's going on over here, we gonna huddle?" -Fred Hoiberg.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hot hand is real. I watched Terrence Ross for years

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
man, celtics/bulls is a pretty vicious series.

i've heard a couple things this season about the celtics being punks (the wizards accusation comes to mind) and its starting to show during this series. its making it hard to root for them (i have friends that are from Mass) cuz they act like little…well, punks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/857407336805089280

"Hey Guys what's going on over here, we gonna huddle?" -Fred Hoiberg.

Why is Rondo dressed like the guy singing the hook on a struggle rap YouTube video

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

RaySmuckles posted:

i've heard a couple things this season about the celtics being punks (the wizards accusation comes to mind) and its starting to show during this series. its making it hard to root for them (i have friends that are from Mass) cuz they act like little…well, punks!

Aw shucks, why can't they be wholesome and not... punks! !!!

You don't have to root for the Celtics because you know people from Massachusetts. You are free to hate them like the rest of the world

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Papes posted:

My dream is somehow okc can get rid of either dipo or kanter and sign Paul George

Yes please. How you guys think Blake Griffin would do in okc? Just curious to see what other okc fans think about that possible pickup this summer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Q: "Hey Fred, *insert any question about basketball*"

A:
https://twitter.com/BullsBlogger/status/857434939058475008

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/857440188838162432

Wade is throwing Jimmy under the Bus. Friday's game is gonna be amazing.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/857440188838162432

Wade is throwing Jimmy under the Bus. Friday's game is gonna be amazing.

What's the full quote?

Like the last 5 articles I read about teammates turning on each other was a highly clipped quote (except the Pg13 thing but he walked that back once he calmed down)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Aw shucks, why can't they be wholesome and not... punks! !!!

You don't have to root for the Celtics because you know people from Massachusetts. You are free to hate them like the rest of the world

I'm rooting for them because no sane person wants to see this ugly rear end Bulls team go any farther

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm rooting for them because no sane person wants to see this ugly rear end Bulls team go any farther

Boston fans don't deserve happiness.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there is no loving doubt in my mind that Thibs win this series with canaan and morrow

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

there is no loving doubt in my mind that Thibs win this series with canaan and morrow

Thibs would have brought Pierre Jackson back from the dead and he would have averaged 40 points per game as the superior tiny PG

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

1) It was only the first round. That's barely a practice session to test the clutchness and intensity of a man such as Yusuf Insolato, just you wait until the stakes are ACTUALLY high, then you'll see.
or
2) Oh yeah explain this with your statistical models: http://i.imgur.com/wcgGVJ2.gif

Phantom hair static

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

RaySmuckles posted:

The School of Pierce and Garnett. The tradition continues..

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bulls should've kept Kirk Hinrich.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Cool Buff Man posted:

:jerkbag:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tumor looking batty posted:

Bulls should've kept Kirk Hinrich.

imagining hinrich swollen with compression sleeves like the michelin man gradually making his way around a screen chasing after IT

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Get lost you fuckin whiny sad sack

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Stay classy Boston.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/857436550694653954
lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

GRIT JUST LIKE RED AUERBACH DID IN THE OLD DAYS HNNNGH RUSSELL HAVLICEK PLAYING FAT DON NELSON EXTENDED MINUTES LARRY BIRD LARRY BIRD LARRY BIRD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i despise the bulls, I want to see every front office person involved with building this monstrosity jeered out of professional basketball, i want fred hoiberg and his dumb panic face banished from the United States to coach in some windswept foreign league, I never want to see Dwyane Wade again as long as I live, I want Niko Mirotic to just stop showing flashes of being OK so I can hate him, I want all of the bulls point guards to spend the summer being humiliated by children at county fair pop-a-shot basketball competitions, I want the Bulls to fold, to move away and never play basketball again, for jimmy to flourish in Minnesota playing 43 minutes a game, to see the United Center burned to the ground and the banners and jordan statue and caricature shirts with jud buechler on them rusting at the bottom of lake michigan, and i've never wanted them to win a playoff series so badly because it would be incredibly funny to own this soft, chump-rear end fraudulent one-seed celtic team.

• Locked thread