Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Pod Save America are the bizarro Chapo. They're pretty much there ideologically but are beholden to their jobs instead of having that wet patreon lettuce. PSA's desire for financial security hampers the real change we need and, in a nutshell, sums up the left's struggle to gain support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dinosaurs! posted:

Pod Save America are the bizarro Chapo. They're pretty much there ideologically but are beholden to their jobs instead of having that wet patreon lettuce. PSA's desire for financial security hampers the real change we need and, in a nutshell, sums up the left's struggle to gain support.

They were in the system before the 2007 crash. Those coming up afterward are defined by the difficulty in coming up under the post-crash environment.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The worst thing about psa is they named their dumbass podcast after the British national anthem. It's Anti-american. The second worst thing about it is everything they say or do on the podcast.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I got too frustrated with KI1600 the week after the election and stopped listening. It looks like I was right to do so? That's a little sad.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing I enjoy least about Chapo is the Extremely Twitter poo poo No One Cares About, but I "get" the sense of humour just from being vaguely aware of FYAD over the years. I mean I do post on Twitter, but in fits of pique when I'm bored. I'm too old and crotchety to understand how all these people can be extremely online 24/7 without ever getting tired of it.

Surely the 30k posts you have made on this dead comedy forum would afford you some level of empathy for posting.

But now imagine the forums have always been in your pocket and people can notify you and send you a push alert and also you always see how many people are #engaging with your #content and there are no mods or subforums and a formless culture where you're encouraged to make your voice heard rather than being run off for being bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

GNU Order posted:

Surely the 30k posts you have made on this dead comedy forum would afford you some level of empathy for posting.
Oh totally, but I appreciate that there's an archive of everything I've ever posted. I can find my old posts, I can read Let's Plays or whatever that were posted years ago, I can read megathreads on topics that interest me with lengthy detailed OPs. Facebook and Twitter and Tumblr aren't set up for depth of content, and if you don't engage with the platform constantly, it's actively hostile to going back and reading anything you've missed.

At least half of the blowups and meltdowns on liberal Twitter/Tumblr are because people try to have discussion threads on a platform that doesn't do discussion threads.

quote:

But now imagine the forums have always been in your pocket and people can notify you and send you a push alert
I don't think you pick up what I'm putting down. This is like "But now imagine the forums give you AIDS and stomach cancer."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Is the election night episode behind the Patreon wall or am I just really dumb and can't find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN0kINOpR9k

you can see the realization setting in about an hour into the video it's p great

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I've been enjoying Lovett's own cast. Favreau I am not a fan of at all though. Their latest episode starting at 37:15 has a good Lovett rant that I think gets to the core of why Pod Save America isn't entirely the show for us.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

prefect posted:

Really? Aw, poo poo. :(

He still bashed Andy Dick's face against a bar because he dared joke about getting Phil Hartman's murderous wife back onto drugs. That doesn't quite even the scales out, but it helps.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Neon Belly posted:

I've been enjoying Lovett's own cast. Favreau I am not a fan of at all though. Their latest episode starting at 37:15 has a good Lovett rant that I think gets to the core of why Pod Save America isn't entirely the show for us.

Lovett's latest show had three panelists that desperately wanted to jack off the rich and tell "white male 30 year old failure berniebros" to gently caress off.

This is why the Dems will lose in 2018.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr Hootington posted:

This is why the Dems will lose in 2018.

The Dems might win but if it's the same finance-dominated neoliberal poo poo then it's just going to set them up for an even more crushing loss and give fascism even more of a foothold in the country.

Honestly in my own area (CA) the race to watch is Dianne Feinstein. She's utter poo poo. If she ends up getting voted out to a progressive then the right kinds of changes are happening to the party. If she gets re-elected then we've failed. That's my metric.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

He still bashed Andy Dick's face against a bar because he dared joke about getting Phil Hartman's murderous wife back onto drugs. That doesn't quite even the scales out, but it helps.

Wasn't that ~2000? There's been plenty of time for his brain to break.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Really love Matt's spiritual experience. He truly is the Enlightened Chapo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dinosaurs! posted:

Wasn't that ~2000? There's been plenty of time for his brain to break.

a shiny new dime says that, like many people, 9/11 short-circuited his wiring.

also James Adomian is back on the new Grey Wolf episode, and 30 seconds in he's busting out the Chris Matthews impression

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Honestly in my own area (CA) the race to watch is Dianne Feinstein. She's utter poo poo. If she ends up getting voted out to a progressive then the right kinds of changes are happening to the party. If she gets re-elected then we've failed. That's my metric.

feinstein's never going to lose re-election, but she'll probably retire after her next term

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I played a show at the bar that Matt got way too stoned at and he's neglecting to mention that there's a huge tree stump in the middle of the room

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Feinstein is 85 next year. There's a chance she won't even run, and then it'll be a matter of whether Adam Schiff slides into the seat or not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neon Belly posted:

Feinstein is 85 next year. There's a chance she won't even run, and then it'll be a matter of whether Adam Schiff slides into the seat or not.

Let's hope not, although she did make some noises in that direction.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Feinstein-signals-she-ll-run-for-re-election-in-10867252.php

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neon Belly posted:

she's already doing fundraisers for next year

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Didn't Stephen Hill die a while back?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Mr Hootington posted:

Lovett's latest show had three panelists that desperately wanted to jack off the rich and tell "white male 30 year old failure berniebros" to gently caress off.

Hari Kondabolu? The dude who voted Stein?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

MooselanderII posted:

I have to say I did enjoy the episode of "Pod Save the World" where, fresh of his circle jerk with Ben Rhodes about Edward Snowden, Vietor interviews Glenn Greenwald and gets owned.

I heard this and it's loving incredible. Vietor says he thinks the US is "better" than Russia or China, Greenwald asks well, have Russia or China hosed up the world as much as the US did in Iraq or Vietnam and the dude just immediately concedes. Foreign policy wonk folks.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

wrong thread

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 27, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Troy Queef posted:

a shiny new dime says that, like many people, 9/11 short-circuited his wiring.

also James Adomian is back on the new Grey Wolf episode, and 30 seconds in he's busting out the Chris Matthews impression

Fawk yeah, the 'Domian is my favorite recurring Chapo guest, if not my favorite impressionist and comedian in general.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Apoplexy posted:

Fawk yeah, the 'Domian is my favorite recurring Chapo guest, if not my favorite impressionist and comedian in general.

What's his deal outside of chapo, I've never even heard of him otherwise

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

He's an impression guy (obviously), who does standup and the podcast circuit mostly. Was on Last Comic Standing back in the day. Really funny guy, check out his appearances on Comedy Bang Bang. Likes to parody right wing dudes like Jesse Ventura, Tom Leykis, and Pat Buchanan.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Adomian's verbal Zizek is about as awful as anyone else who doesn't speak a slavic language but his pantomime is loving transcendent

Became a donor and have been catching up on the bonus episodes and Amber has quickly cemented her place as best girl, I wish she had more of a presence on the free stuff. It's been genuinely therapeutic to hear my opinions finally voiced by media figures, and it means a lot that the boys decided to include a figure who promotes a meaningful brand of feminism and can articulate its opposition to the cynical off-brand garbage that capitalism promotes through bullshit like Lady Ghostbusters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Amber is awesome, even when she's on she doesn't say much, but it's always perfectly timed and hilarious.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I wish Amber would be a main Chapo instead of a part-time Chapo.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Bryter posted:

I heard this and it's loving incredible. Vietor says he thinks the US is "better" than Russia or China, Greenwald asks well, have Russia or China hosed up the world as much as the US did in Iraq or Vietnam and the dude just immediately concedes. Foreign policy wonk folks.

You would think Vietor would at least have had the basics about the Snowden disclosures down before pinning motives on him. It was pretty pathetic how often Greenwood had to remind him that it was the press, and not Snowden, that disclosed the material to the public.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

She's been doing a biweekly-ish podcast with Sam Kriss for the Baffler. It's called Whale Vomit but the feed shows up as The Baffler in the app I use and there might be some other content mixed in there. It's pretty much what you'd expect from an Amber/Sam podcast, very good but like 20% academic or artistic digressions that go over my head cause they are extremely smart and I am very dumb.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

She's been doing a biweekly-ish podcast with Sam Kriss for the Baffler. It's called Whale Vomit but the feed shows up as The Baffler in the app I use and there might be some other content mixed in there. It's pretty much what you'd expect from an Amber/Sam podcast, very good but like 20% academic or artistic digressions that go over my head cause they are extremely smart and I am very dumb.

Yeah, much of their digression into deconstructing French animated cinema was a bit over my head, but it made for some really interesting discussion around metaphor versus allegory as seen in Maus and 1984, so it wound up being a pretty cool show.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want Frost/Christman to post more updates. Those two are great and I like to hear them talk.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Just chiming in to say that Whale Vomit is probably my favorite podcast out there after Chapo, Street Fight & Polidicks(RIP).

It's like an alternate universe version of the trap where everyone got useless humanities degrees instead of posting on twitter.

e: ^ Frost/Christman is definitely dead now that Amber has taken the vow of Omerta and crewed up.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pharmaskittle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0joCGLCDFY

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

pick up a lacan for beginners text and you'll have about 95% of sam's shtick

e: incidentally you'll also have about 95% of slavoj zizek's shtick as well

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 27, 2017

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
adomian's CBB appearances have consistently been able to make me cry laugh. he's a genius on his feet in addition to his impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34ZW2bR0dQ

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I highly recommend Adomian's appearance on The Dead Author's Podcast.

He plays Walt Whitman

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Pharmaskittle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXc6nbk1uo&t

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, much of their digression into deconstructing French animated cinema was a bit over my head, but it made for some really interesting discussion around metaphor versus allegory as seen in Maus and 1984, so it wound up being a pretty cool show.

Listening to them tear Zootopia's metaphor apart was both interesting and sad because I liked that movie. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOORKAMORKA!