Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Shinn is cool. I really like what I've seen of him in SRW V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Shinn in SRW is generally much better written than in the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nina is the worst. She should have gotten together with Monsha upon reflection.

At least Keith got his happy ending with his giant amazon girlfriend. He must have been happy for those four years before being violently mown down with the rest of the Titans.

Kou is the biggest teamkiller in all of the UC. Guy kills like half of two fleets to get at one person who is on the same side as him in the grand scheme.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Artum posted:

You could say the same about Destiny in general. I'm not sure about other games, but Z at least takes what should've been a great show but instead was poo poo and turns it into the great plot it would've been with competent writers behind it.

That said, even in the mess that is Destiny, I liked Shinn a lot. I wish he had a better character arc and kept the protagonism of his own series, but I can't hate him for that. That's entirely Kira's fault.

gently caress Destiny Kira "Jesus" Yamato. SEED Kira is fine. Destiny Kira is awful.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the problem with the UC series after a while is that they imply that zeon has a point and then never show why. The best they do is muster up a caricature of the Federation in the Titans.

They imply Earth is a real dump but in every show it looks beautiful, lush, and advanced.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I think the problem with the UC series after a while is that they imply that zeon has a point and then never show why. The best they do is muster up a caricature of the Federation in the Titans.

They imply Earth is a real dump but in every show it looks beautiful, lush, and advanced.

Haven't seen ZZ, CCA, or Victory, then?

The Earth is in a bad, bad way by the later parts of the Universal Century.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I'm not sure which UC you're watching where the Earth is beautiful, lush and advanced but 90% of the time there shows wastelands, lovely nothing towns or ruins.

Edit: And Jaburo's jungle rear end, naturally.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well if you're just watching zeta and are only as far in as I currently am (like episode 11 I think), earth consists of one jungle and amuro's sweet mansion

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hong Kong City is where you meet all your boyfriends and girlfriends

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nina is the worst. She should have gotten together with Monsha upon reflection.

At least Keith got his happy ending with his giant amazon girlfriend. He must have been happy for those four years before being violently mown down with the rest of the Titans.

Kou is the biggest teamkiller in all of the UC. Guy kills like half of two fleets to get at one person who is on the same side as him in the grand scheme.

Keith wasn't a Titan. He was left as a Feddie aggressor pilot, like Nemesis Team.

So, he probably did fine.

(For what it's worth, Kamille's murderous rampages didn't get all the Titans. Some of them managed to slink back into the regular Feddie forces, like Robin Diez and Yazan Gable himself.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 25, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Hy-Gogg deserves more screen time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure which UC you're watching where the Earth is beautiful, lush and advanced but 90% of the time there shows wastelands, lovely nothing towns or ruins.

Edit: And Jaburo's jungle rear end, naturally.

Yeah 0083 starts in the ruins of Australia and ends with the American Midwest being obliterated. In hindsight that act of destruction is really understated for how damaging it was to the earth. Mass starvation doesn't become a thing until Victory Gundam.

And of course the only standing city in 0079 is Dublin, which promptly dies a few years later. The rest of the earth is scattered settlements,, bombed out cities, or isolated enclaves of rich mansions. Even before the war, the Sahara pretty much consumed all of North Africa and plague and refugees flooded into Spain. Southern Africa is one of the few places left that is somewhat habitable, and it's reward was a nearly two decades long guerilla war with zeon holdouts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 25, 2017

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I could be very wrong, but SRW V takes place in a timeline where regular Seed Destiny took place and deals with Shinn as a person after that, which is new territory and interesting. I know he's usually better written in SRW, but its a fresh take versus Shinn didn't lose his goddamn mind.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Keith wasn't a Titan. He was left as a Feddie aggressor pilot, like Nemesis Team.

So, he probably did fine.

(For what it's worth, Kamille's murderous rampages didn't get all the Titans. Some of them managed to slink back into the regular Feddie forces, like Robin Diez and Yazan Gable himself.)

I can't believe the man named Robin Diez lives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

I could be very wrong, but SRW V takes place in a timeline where regular Seed Destiny took place and deals with Shinn as a person after that, which is new territory and interesting. I know he's usually better written in SRW, but its a fresh take versus Shinn didn't lose his goddamn mind.

It isn't the first time it's happened but yeah, it basically deals with Shinn who did Seed D and now is trying to recover from it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Artum posted:

Even a well written Kira is still boring.

The Kamille/Shinn/Setsuko dynamic in Z was really cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

I can't believe the man named Robin Diez lives.

I maintain to this day that he's just Yazan with hair dye and false eyebrows.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just found out that there is a side story manga to Gundam Thunderbolt called Sean the Sand Rat

It has a Gouf equipped for flight, which seems kinda pointless because of the existence of the Gouf Flight Type, but hey, cool Gouf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gouf Custom Flight actually

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just found out that there is a side story manga to Gundam Thunderbolt called Sean the Sand Rat

It has a Gouf equipped for flight, which seems kinda pointless because of the existence of the Gouf Flight Type, but hey, cool Gouf

I wonder why they opted to kill him in the anime, it wasn't even left to doubt given quite how much he exploded.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gouf Custom Flight actually

It's got standard Gouf arms and knees. And the longer, more downturned snout of the original Gouf.

Artum posted:

it wasn't even left to doubt given quite how much he exploded.

New thread title plz

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The purpose is that it's yet another of Thunderbolt's signatures - crappy, improvised bodge-jobs by desperate soldiers. That flight pack looks like a stripped-down Wappa bolted to the suit's back, and I'm pretty sure the legs are from a high-mobility variant of the Zaku.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

I wonder why they opted to kill him in the anime, it wasn't even left to doubt given quite how much he exploded.

Pretty sure he died in the manga as well, which would make this a prequel.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Its not, there was a side chapter or two of him working this job in the sort-of-post-war period that the 2nd part of thunderbolts set in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that Sean the Sand Rat shows that he used an escape pod or something

Dunno why Sean got a spinoff, he wasn't a particularly memorable character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked it when io used him as a meat shield. Actually I really don't because that was disturbing as hell, Io you sociopath.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Io had the cooler robot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Io had the cooler robot

It had four shields and a battleship cannon and more missiles than Macross and beam Saber and a shoulder cannon and leg rockets and it was white red and blue and looked badass. And it also murdered dozens of people brutally in an effort to psych out one poor bastard.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

It had four shields and a battleship cannon and more missiles than Macross and beam Saber and a shoulder cannon and leg rockets and it was white red and blue and looked badass. And it also murdered dozens of people brutally in an effort to psych out one poor bastard.

All the dudes it killed were foot soldiers for a genocidal regime tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd use "killed" in the context.

I find it hard to sympathize with the use of "murdered" when both parties are armed and quite willing to kill the gently caress out of each other. I mean, it would list Daryl and company murderers just as accurate, and it doesn't quite fit there either.

Now, Mikazuki?

Yeah. That guy is totally a murderer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, TBF to Io the whole obliterating GMs with Big Guns was pretty hosed too.

Pyscho Zaku didn't even have shields.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
If you kill someone in a mobile suit I wouldn't consider it murder. hosed up for sure but eh, unless you're dropping colonies/gassing colonies there's an argument that some of those hosed up deaths could be legitimate.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I'm always struck by how nonchalant the scene is when the sinking Zeon ship launches all the escape pods and Io casually swoops by and gatlings half a dozen of them. Just a regular Thursday afternoon in the thunderbolt sector.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm always struck by how nonchalant the scene is when the sinking Zeon ship launches all the escape pods and Io casually swoops by and gatlings half a dozen of them. Just a regular Thursday afternoon in the thunderbolt sector.

Fighting for your life against Io LeDouche, average Thursday night for Io LeDouche.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zebulon posted:

Fighting for your life against Io LeDouche, average Thursday night for Io LeDouche.

Lurking in the Shoal Zone, mobile suit superstar Io LeDouche.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo Io LeDouche is not dead, he just shot Darryls friend in the head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of 0083...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In case anyone missed it, here is a new trailer for Gundam The Origin's next arc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Includes the compilation movie, which is nice of them. Not that you should ever watch it, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are all gundam seasons like Legend of the Galactic Heroes except with mechs because I honestly wasn't expecting to get a really good war is hosed up for everyone involved story out of a show called Gundam Unicorn