Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

IUG posted:

I watched Unbreakable a few years ago. At the time, I remembered it as one of my favorite movies of his. On a rewatch, it struck me how no one in the film (besides SLJ) has emotion, at all. All the actors move around each other and do stuff, but they don't ever show any signs of happiness, anger, fear, etc. Even when SLJ is yelling at some dude for treating his art as a toy, that guy doesn't react. When Bruce Willis breaks into someone's house to save two children from being attacked, or when the two children save him from being drowned, everyone in that film has a :| face the entire duration.

It worked for me, because so much of that movie was about being emotionally closed off due to dysfunction and total lack of fulfillment. SLJ was the only one living his truth, so he was the only one who seemed fully alive, even if his truth was monstrous and abhorrent mass murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Isn't that true of a lot of his stuff? Lots of muted performances, for some reason? It makes movies like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable seem kind of surreal and dreamlike, but is completely inappropriate in The Last Airbender.
Yeah, Unbreakable creates this very washed out and drab world, but the color palette gets more vibrant as it goes reflecting a transformation into a superheroic world. Sam Jackson's character pops off the screen at all times because he has one foot in the world of comic books from the very beginning of the film. They actually outright tell the audience this in Jackson's first scene.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Phylodox posted:

...but is completely inappropriate in The Last Airbender.

Aasif Mandvi was awesome in The Last Airbender and that's all I've got to say about that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'll forever love Unbreakable for being a stealth-comic book origin movie and it's still my favorite MNS movie (not hard). Still eager to see that newest one of his, but a certain thing about it has already been spoiled for me a while back on another forum. :(

zoux posted:

I remember there being soooo much hype about MI2 because it was John Woo directed and it was at that time where everyone was obsessed with hard boiled Hong Kong action films (like Hard Boiled!)

As for this, boy are you not kidding about how much of a let down it was at the time. Myself, a lot of people in the gaming internet community in general, and people around these parts specifically were heavily into John Woo and Hong Kong Blood Operas in general. As can be evidenced by the following SA goon created images:

Chow Yun Cat:

John Woo's career is very strange to us fans, because he has this amazing and influential work in Hong Kong, then right after the success of Hard Boiled three decent US movies (for what they are) in Hard Target, Broken Arrow, and Face/Off, but then it seems to go over a cliff and we got MI2, Windtalkers, Paycheck, and...well that's that for the most part. :smith:

Apologies if this John Woo derail was too much!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Never saw Windtalkers, but MI2 and Paycheck were embarrassing

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Never saw Windtalkers, but MI2 and Paycheck were embarrassing

MI2 is not good, and is actively embarrassing. At least it kept Dougray off the table so Jackman could Wolverine it up for the rest of his life.

The day I found a widescreen VHS copy of Hard Boiled at friggin' Media Play was one of the best days of my life. My friend and I popped it in immediately after getting home and holy poo poo. We had never seen anything like that before.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A John Woo take on the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine miniseries would have been insane.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Guardians 2 was great. I know I just came out of the theater, but I definitely think it's better than the first movie. It's not nearly as messy in terms of plotting, and the script is a lot more solid - it's moved past that sometimes awkward introductory phase and they get to be more creative with the characters, and their relationships are stronger and more believable because of it. Yondu is especially awesome.

It's got better pacing, the villain is great, it looks MUCH better, and it's also funnier. I was totally worried about baby Groot or the whole movie just being a flanderization of the first one, but nah they did much more with the characters and built out the universe in ways that felt very Kirby-esque.

The last like 15 minutes of the movie were maybe a bit much though. At the climax it becomes a much more conventional movie and is not nearly as exciting, and the end is also bit too sentimental.

I honestly went in with pretty low expectations, but it was way better than I thought it could be.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Hoping to see GotG2 in the next week and have 3D and 2D options.
Is the 3D use good enough to go for or should I default to 2D (cos I usually find the colour and contrast look better)?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Hakkesshu posted:

...the end is also bit too sentimental.

Someone else "sacrifices" themselves and "dies", like Groot in the first one, don't they?

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 27, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

Some else "sacrifices" themselves and "dies", like Groot in the first one, don't they?

Yes / no / not in the same way

EmptyVessel posted:

Is the 3D use good enough to go for or should I default to 2D (cos I usually find the colour and contrast look better)?

It did make the environments pop out really nicely so maybe? I always tend to argue that if you are at the point where you have to ask this question then it's never really worth it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2017

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Anything worth sharing about post-credit scenes that tie in more with future movies?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Anything worth sharing about post-credit scenes that tie in more with future movies?

Adam Warlock

Also Stan Lee is The Watcher.

And for those of you curious about Michael Rosenbaum he's Martinex and is part of the old Guardians team with Yondu and Starhawk.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Isn't that true of a lot of his stuff? Lots of muted performances, for some reason? It makes movies like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable seem kind of surreal and dreamlike, but is completely inappropriate in The Last Airbender.

It makes the Happening a movie about adult toddlers trying to survive the apocalypse. It's hilarious btw.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

Well, ok, I will just list em out

POST CREDITS SPOILERS

1) They tease the "old" Guardians team, featuring Sly Stallone as Darkhawk, along with a bunch of other characters, I'm not super familiar with them but they are the ones played by Miley Cyrus, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, and Michael Rosenbaum.

2) The secondary villain of the movie, being the high priestess of a race of golden-skinned people who are genetically engineered, says her new creation will finally put an end to the Guardians - she calls it Adam and it pans to a big cocoon. So yeah, between that and what they do with Nebula, they're building up stakes that correspond pretty closely with Infinity Gauntlet.

3) He shows up earlier in the movie, but the final post-credits scene is Stan Lee meeting up with (presumably) Uatu and two other Watchers and they just leave him alone in space.

E: In relation to the below quote, he's still a confused old man who seems to have no idea how to get home so I dunno how he's supposed to be Uatu.

X-O posted:

That's not what I took from that scene, but I guess it's possible?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Apologies if this John Woo derail was too much!

Apparently he's had a renaissance in China. Anyone seen Red Cliff here?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's pretty hosed up that at this point since hearing about it from this thread, I'm more excited about Michael Rosebaum being in GOTG2 than anything else.

loving Smallville.

(Also we went to the same high school 6 years apart.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

That's not what I took from that scene, but I guess it's possible?

Either way, what's most interesting about it is that it's almost certain that at one point Fox owned the rights to The Watcher and that whole race. Watcher is almost exclusively tied into the Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer cosmic side which Fox did have all the rights to a while back. So I wonder how Marvel got control of it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

Either way, what's most interesting about it is that it's almost certain that at one point Fox owned the rights to The Watcher and that whole race. Watcher is almost exclusively tied into the Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer cosmic side which Fox did have all the rights to a while back. So I wonder how Marvel got control of it.

That's true, I'll be curious to see what they do with it, if anything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

That's true, I'll be curious to see what they do with it, if anything.

My guess is that The Watcher was part of the Ego deal. It'll be interesting to see what other characters might have been a part of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How'd y'all see it already?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

zoux posted:

It's opened in a few countries, now. Australia, New Zealand... and Italy (I think).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Marvel releases the movies basically everywhere before North America.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had no idea X-O wasn't American.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He's a Roman

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I had no idea X-O wasn't American.

I haven't seen the movie. I just posted an answer to the question that was asked which has already been posted on most comic/movie news sites at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's possible that he saw it on a preview pass too. I used to see movies a week early when working for a major music retailer actually was a thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, it's just out in Denmark and most of Europe I'm pretty sure

E: I forgot to mention just how loving good Batista of all people is in this movie, like holy poo poo

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 27, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wait a sec. (GOT2 credits) How can Adam Warlock be in a cocoon when The Collector had Adam's cocoon in his collection?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

Wait a sec. (GOT2 credits) How can Adam Warlock be in a cocoon when The Collector had Adam's cocoon in his collection?

That was likely just an easter egg for the first film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Two new TV spots for Wonder Woman. Couple new shots shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJeu11shJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9waCtSVoZ0

Very slightly spoilery.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

EmptyVessel posted:

The 3D for the first Guardians was very good. I'm going to see the double feature on Thursday.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jamesman posted:

Jamesman.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

X-O posted:

This bit is actually super weird because he shows up very, very briefly in the film proper in the same role (talking to a bunch of watchers) with a line about 'and that time I was a postal delivery guy!' as if to imply all his previous appearances have been as a watcher, spying on events, but during the post credits scene the other watchers roll their eyes and walk away, leaving him alone and he says something like, "Hey, come on, guys, I thought you were my ride" which kind of implies he's not a watcher afterall. It's weird.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Dan Didio posted:

This bit is actually super weird because

Just got back from seeing the film. I took it as that MCU Stan is a guy who's been around interesting events, and the Watchers want to hear his perspective of them. I just hope he can come back safely from the edge of the universe.

And I'll have to rewatch to be sure, but I think there was a nod to Thor: Ragnarok during the jumps that Yondu and Rocket do: in one of them you can see two figures fighting, and one was large enough to be Hulk. We'll have to wait for Thor's movie to see if that's the case.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just saw Guardians yesterday, and it is pretty good. Best thing is probably that for once, they actually had a memorable villain. other than that, the music is still pretty good, but not as poignant as in the first movie. There is also a lot juxtaposition between drama and humor that wears a little thin towards the end. All in all the movie is a lot funnier than the first one.

It also dives in headfirst into the Kirby-Starlin esque High Fantasy in space stuff, which is awesome!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kal-L posted:

And I'll have to rewatch to be sure, but I think there was a nod to Thor: Ragnarok during the jumps that Yondu and Rocket do: in one of them you can see two figures fighting, and one was large enough to be Hulk. We'll have to wait for Thor's movie to see if that's the case.

It's a reference to Thor films in general, it's two of those rock guys from Thor 2 and I think Taika Wattiti is playing one in Ragnarok. I don't remember what they're called.

e X posted:

Just saw Guardians yesterday, and it is pretty good. Best thing is probably that for once, they actually had a memorable villain.

He's easily the best one they've had yet, which isn't saying much, but it's mostly thanks to the performances in the film, which Russell and Pratt knock out of the park.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
GotG2 is really good you guys. Best Marvel villain and a nice personal story.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really wanted more scenes where Ego the Living Planet is literally shown as a planet with a big face in GotG2, but I imagine that falls into "things that are too silly for the general audience". I especially wanted the planet to sort of scream and explode at the same time, and was sad when that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Eh, they repeatedly do that without abandoning safe and cozy 'Galactus is a big cloud with the helmet shape in it' territory. The one thing the movie didn't need to do was ensure there was less Kurt Russell.

• Locked thread