Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I was in the midst of sleeving up a turbofog deck when I heard the news.

What gimmick deck am I gonna play now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Some dude is on the magic milwaukee facebook page right now complaining that WotC banned another one of his decks and when he got replies saying "everyone and their dog expected this ban to happen" he responded that saying that is "victim blaming" :lol:

e:

araeris posted:

that deck probably will still be just fine, vehicles isn't going anywhere

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think the 30 bucks I spent on standard cards is going to turn 3x in value in the next few days.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

C-Euro posted:

This is about to get lost in "lol Felidar Guardian" chat but I've always been tinkering with a couple of different Mardu builds for Modern in my head and this is one I saw the other day. I think this type of deck may want Bob oer Bedlam Reveler but I'm not 100% sure.

Not me from that league, but that's my deck! Been brewing it over the course of two/three-ish years. Bob makes it a somewhat different deck and is definitely meta call. That said, people really underestimate how good (or maybe just fun) it is to play a 2-4 mana 3/4 with prowess that ancestrals when he comes down. It's a deck with tons of game againt anything fair that gets poo poo on by Tron and Scapeshift.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I love reading the salty comments of people pissed off that the lynchpin of their deck got banned and how it hurts their confidence in wizards. Guess the gently caress what you poo poo stain? Your rear end counts for about negative one billion percent compared to a casual FNM player who shows up and buys packs to have fun.

Cat combo was only fun when you were in a position to utterly ruin that turn with a Kozilek's Return or something along those lines.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

They really felt they could do no wrong (in terms of growing the base) from 09-14. Every change they have made has been made under the caveat of "game is still growing, attendance is up, this is working!" But what comes up must come down. Through a combination of changes, like removing alot of instant speed answers, overpowering marquee planeswalkers/story cards, and changing things that used to be staples of the game and saying they were "too powerful," have all come to bite them on the rear end.

Take for example the axing of Birds of Paradise as a one-drop. When you used to have 2-3 mana accelerator one-drops in standard, now we have none. Why? The reason stated is they were too powerful. They were not too powerful, the 2-3-4-5 drops are. Hitting your land drops and stop-this-or-die fatties on curve (or in case of Marvel, a broken curve) has never been more important for standard since I began playing. They have continued to remove the only ways a slower deck can come back from doing nothing on their turn. Turn 1-2 has never been more important to the game. You screw up one turn, you're losing. All in the cause of removing complexity, or feelbads, or whatever, from the game.

It is definitely true that play/draw and the early game matters way too much in standard now. I think the only "story card" that is too powerful is Gideon AOZ. The issue is that we don't have hero's downfall and all the answers to it are these sorcery speed garbage. The 1 mana ramp cards are a good way of catching you up too. So does stuff like Lightning Bolt/Strike and Path which should all be in standard.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ThePeavstenator posted:

Gideon isn't even really that terrible. They just refuse to reprint Hero's Downfall which would have made even Copycat less of a problem.

I just hate the design of Gideons in general. I really liked the original, but Gideon's design as a planeswalker who gets multiple quality sustainable abilities is pretty poo poo IMO. No, the lack of an ultimate does not make up for it - having no ult is better than having a mediocre one!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Typhus733 posted:

Not me from that league, but that's my deck! Been brewing it over the course of two/three-ish years. Bob makes it a somewhat different deck and is definitely meta call. That said, people really underestimate how good (or maybe just fun) it is to play a 2-4 mana 3/4 with prowess that ancestrals when he comes down. It's a deck with tons of game againt anything fair that gets poo poo on by Tron and Scapeshift.

Cool, glad to hear you're having fun with it. The two Mesas are the only expensive things I need so maybe this is my excuse to pick those up.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Only real complaints I'm seeing online are about the fact that the ban came a few days too late and now people can't order cards in time for the Atlanta Open this weekend. The window for on-site pickup from SCG actually closed this morning.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I love reading the salty comments of people pissed off that the lynchpin of their deck got banned and how it hurts their confidence in wizards. Guess the gently caress what you poo poo stain? Your rear end counts for about negative one billion percent compared to a casual FNM player who shows up and buys packs to have fun.

Cat combo was only fun when you were in a position to utterly ruin that turn with a Kozilek's Return or something along those lines.

Yeah, I mean competitive players never buy packs through paying like $20 for PPTQ entry, most of which goes on prizing (in packs) and the rest on paying a judge (in packs).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm trying to figure out what they thought Amonkhet brought to the table that would stop the deck from being a problem so they wouldn't have to ban it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Niton posted:

I just hate the design of Gideons in general. I really liked the original, but Gideon's design as a planeswalker who gets multiple quality sustainable abilities is pretty poo poo IMO. No, the lack of an ultimate does not make up for it - having no ult is better than having a mediocre one!

Oh yeah the design of every Gideon being "Midrange planeswalker with abilities of: make Gideon a big indestructible dude, 2-3 random white effects" is boring as hell. I just don't think he's some kind of OP format-warping problem.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Saheeli will see any play without the cat. It was not played at all pre Aether Revolt.

Probably not but it's not as drastic as counterbalance with the top ban. Especially not when compared to the price of the counterbalance invocation which was the only thing people really gave refunds on.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 27, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Only real complaints I'm seeing online are about the fact that the ban came a few days too late and now people can't order cards in time for the Atlanta Open this weekend. The window for on-site pickup from SCG actually closed this morning.

Well, I imagine the line is going to be huge. Local lgs's are going to feast on this one.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Quick someone send those fuckers a pizza with ban the reserve list on it

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If this is how they're going to do things, they should just move the baseline B/R announcements back a week after the prerelease/release on MTGO.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

whydirt posted:

If this is how they're going to do things, they should just move the baseline B/R announcements back a week after the prerelease/release on MTGO.

Doesn't meet the real requirement. Public outrage.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I bought black-green snake the day before it won the first open this season and the price of everything doubled. Then it was trash for months and now it might be the top deck again. I went from smug to sad to smug again and my heart can't take it any more.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to build the deck in this brave new meta? Are the stock eight cheap removal spells enough to justify the four bone pickers I want to cram in there?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This is hysterical. On the plus side my WB control list might be playable again

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/mfcrocker/status/857399983452168193

Keep them flowing folks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

please don't sent hatemail to these people when they finally do something good for once

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

That douche will keep buying packs like they always do.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

cheetah7071 posted:

Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

I know it's impossible but I would like if a set just came out with no spoilers leading up to it and everyone find out that day what's in the set by what's in the pre-release packs

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

araeris posted:

EVERYONE PLAY TURBO FOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

80s James Hetfield posted:

I know it's impossible but I would like if a set just came out with no spoilers leading up to it and everyone find out that day what's in the set by what's in the pre-release packs

Isn't this what they're doing with the next masters set?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Should I know who mfcrocker is?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Should I know who mfcrocker is?

he's a dude who posts in this thread I think

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Quick someone send those fuckers a pizza with ban the reserve list on it

The trick is to send them one every week, same day some time, for a couple of months, and then when once they get used to free pizza cut them off. Not because doing it that way illustrates a point, just because it's a mildly dickish move if you can afford to spend that much on a bad joke.

Also, LOL @ Sickening mocking MTGFInance folks who lost out speccing on Saheeli on one page and bragging about (what he guesses) his gains on standard cards are going to be on the next.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Oh, thank loving God. I wasn't even going to bother watching pro tour copycat

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

he's a dude who posts in this thread I think

So, no. Thanks!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The trick is to send them one every week, same day some time, for a couple of months, and then when once they get used to free pizza cut them off. Not because doing it that way illustrates a point, just because it's a mildly dickish move if you can afford to spend that much on a bad joke.

Also, LOL @ Sickening mocking MTGFInance folks who lost out speccing on Saheeli on one page and bragging about (what he guesses) his gains on standard cards are going to be on the next.

I am not speccing on anything. I bought cards I might want to play with and it makes me giggle that they will skyrocket in price because people might actually want to play standard.

Even though everything but glorybringer might still end up bulk, its a brave new world where things might be playable again.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 27, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

I'm trying to figure out what they thought Amonkhet brought to the table that would stop the deck from being a problem so they wouldn't have to ban it.

...Censor?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

...Censor?

Trespasser's Curse, more likely.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So what decks are viable now or is it just Mardu and BG Constrictor?

I guess we'll all find out at the PT, I'm just curious how big Tier 1 gets now that Cat's gone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I guess we'll all find out at the PT, I'm just curious how big Tier 1 gets now that Cat's gone.

Tier one will just be two or three decks because that's about all that can occupy that space in standard.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Soul Glo posted:

Amonkhet gave control a lot of tools, the most important of which is probably Censor so there might be room for an actual blue control deck now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think we'll really know until after the pro tour. Mardu got a lot of hate added in this set, and copycat is dead.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just want to build zombie tribal now, honestly.

But I don't play Standard anymore so hey, maybe the cat ban fixes the issue at hand and we have more than 2 decks. (Haha)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
WotC doesn't get to use the "we've never actually emergency banned something from standard, Jar doesn't count" card anymore. At least they got berated into banning the stupid cat, and I wasn't even tricked into buying into the deck online by thinking, "hey they cannot possibly emergency ban here, so I'm in the clear until June!"

At least the Pro Tour will be reasonably exciting to watch. We'll have to wait for the Fall set to see the wet fart that emerges from the PT that gets to play the month old format that debuts at Worlds.

mcmagic posted:

It is definitely true that play/draw and the early game matters way too much in standard now. I think the only "story card" that is too powerful is Gideon AOZ. The issue is that we don't have hero's downfall and all the answers to it are these sorcery speed garbage. The 1 mana ramp cards are a good way of catching you up too. So does stuff like Lightning Bolt/Strike and Path which should all be in standard.

Heart of Kiran is too powerful, given the easy enablers in Toolcraft Exemplar and Scrapheap Scrounger and Gideon playing exceptionally well with it. Avacyn is stupidly powerful, but costs five mana which is a bit much given the incredibly powerful four mana cards in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
SaffronOlive had a 78.5% game winning percentage with Gideon Tribal in Modern. Because lots of decks can never beat the Emblem.

:allears: