Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

Do whatever you want. No one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What do you guys with kids do in the bedroom? We really like having our 4 month old in the room, because then we don't have to walk far to attend to her. That means that the bedroom and bed also become a place for playing, breastfeeding, changing, all sorts of stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I had a separate bedroom for the kids because sometimes you just need sleep, and my body became hyper attuned to the baby's most tiny noises. Having a monitor with the volume on low meant​ that a teeny sleepy sigh didn't make me bolt upright.

If you don't have a co-sleeper, another bedroom is nice.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
those of you bitching about no one cares should post some bwm stories instead of being whiny babies who don't do much aside from disrupt the sleep of adults everywhere

I didn't find anything tasty during my brief skim of r/personalfinance

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Overheard a coworker this morning recommend to another coworker take out a $25k 401k loan to start a career in day trading.

e: This was in response to coworker #2 who said he opened an "ironic" gofund me with a 25k goal for him to daytrade. He surfs wall street bets on his spare time, of course.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Renegret posted:

Overheard a coworker this morning recommend to another coworker take out a $25k 401k loan to start a career in day trading.

Oh that's the good stuff.

When they turned on auto-enroll 401k contributions here, the office erupted into an angry mob trying to figure out how to opt-out and get their couple paychecks contribution worth back.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh that's the good stuff.

When they turned on auto-enroll 401k contributions here, the office erupted into an angry mob trying to figure out how to opt-out and get their couple paychecks contribution worth back.
But I need that 3% for my horse.

And the other 97% too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

career in day trading

After a few short weeks at DeVry I started my new career as a Certified Gambling Associate

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Renegret posted:

e: This was in response to coworker #2 who said he opened an "ironic" gofund me with a 25k goal for him to daytrade. He surfs wall street bets on his spare time, of course.

Do they have access to a PCRA in their plan?

Cut out the middle man and day trade directly in your 401k!

Its GWM because you don't have to worry about paying taxes on the trades until you take a distribution. :downs:

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
I've discovered the ultimate GWM - used appliances. Our dishwasher broke last week (5 years old), and naturally I tried to fix it but it turned out I needed a spare part that I couldn't find anywhere. We have small children at home so no dishwasher was a pain, not to mention a disassembled dishwasher in the middle of the kitchen.

I was about to bite the bullet and go out and buy a brand new one when on a lark I checked the local Craigslist clone. 1 hour later I was home with a 4 year old Miele which I paid €120 for. People are insane, they remodel perfectly functional kitchens because the layout was off or they didn't like the cabinet doors and hey, might as well buy new appliances right?

Even if this dishwasher breaks (which it probably won't for a while, it's a Miele), I can still buy 6 friggin used dishwashers for the price of 1 new.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

double ohm seven posted:

I've discovered the ultimate GWM - used appliances. Our dishwasher broke last week (5 years old), and naturally I tried to fix it but it turned out I needed a spare part that I couldn't find anywhere. We have small children at home so no dishwasher was a pain, not to mention a disassembled dishwasher in the middle of the kitchen.

I was about to bite the bullet and go out and buy a brand new one when on a lark I checked the local Craigslist clone. 1 hour later I was home with a 4 year old Miele which I paid €120 for. People are insane, they remodel perfectly functional kitchens because the layout was off or they didn't like the cabinet doors and hey, might as well buy new appliances right?

Even if this dishwasher breaks (which it probably won't for a while, it's a Miele), I can still buy 6 friggin used dishwashers for the price of 1 new.

Do you have a scratch n' dent place near you? Growing up we got a pretty nice middle-upper range washer dryer set for something like $500 off just because they had scratches on them, they're still working fine like 15 years later

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

Do you have a scratch n' dent place near you? Growing up we got a pretty nice middle-upper range washer dryer set for something like $500 off just because they had scratches on them, they're still working fine like 15 years later

Over here (Sweden) the big chains usually sells those themselves, but only take of 20-30%. It's cheaper, but not
1/6 of the price cheap.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

double ohm seven posted:

Over here (Sweden) the big chains usually sells those themselves, but only take of 20-30%. It's cheaper, but not
1/6 of the price cheap.

Ah yeah, here we went to a store that buys those up from appliance stores around the area and just sells them in a big minimalist warehouse to keep costs down, worked for us :shrug:

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
My coworker has a kid getting ready for college. First we heard how the kid wanted to get an apartment with friends but "then you just end up hating your friends". Next we were told how the college wanted $10k for two semesters dorm + meal plan and "that's way too expensive".

So coworker's current plan is to buy a mobile home for the kid to live in during college, then move it back to our city as a place to put visiting in-laws.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

strawberrymousse posted:

My coworker has a kid getting ready for college. First we heard how the kid wanted to get an apartment with friends but "then you just end up hating your friends". Next we were told how the college wanted $10k for two semesters dorm + meal plan and "that's way too expensive".

So coworker's current plan is to buy a mobile home for the kid to live in during college, then move it back to our city as a place to put visiting in-laws.

The only bad part of this is the "mobile" part, my parents were considering buy a condo near the college for me but wussed out, if they had actually done that the appreciation in 4 years would have covered the entire cost of my education and then some.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

strawberrymousse posted:

My coworker has a kid getting ready for college. First we heard how the kid wanted to get an apartment with friends but "then you just end up hating your friends".
Learning to get along with people you commonly interact with in close proximity is kind of an important life skill, though. :smith:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That plan is going to be BWL by that kid not making friends in their residmece hall and then dropping out after a semester. At least they'll have a trailer though?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

crazypeltast52 posted:

That plan is going to be BWL by that kid not making friends in their residmece hall and then dropping out after a semester. At least they'll have a trailer though?

Yeah, college is for networking and anything you do to put a barrier up between you and your peers is just wasting tuition money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

The only bad part of this is the "mobile" part, my parents were considering buy a condo near the college for me but wussed out, if they had actually done that the appreciation in 4 years would have covered the entire cost of my education and then some.

There was a fancy new mixed use facility that went up about 3 blocks from a big in-town University, so that's exactly what a lot of parents did. The first wave probably made out like bandits. The second wave ran square into the housing meltdown.

It's not a bad idea as long as your kid completes school. I have to imagine it'd suck rear end if you bought a house in another city and your child flunked out and now you have an anchor that you have to sell quickly or be an absentee landlord over.

crazypeltast52 posted:

That too. Being responsible all day and then coming back home to an empty trailer is just too drat modern adult. And no one will come over to party because there's no room.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

That too. Being responsible all day and then coming back home to an empty trailer is just too drat modern adult. And no one will come over to party because there's no room.

That's why you get a triple wide.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I knew someone in college who lived in a microscopic trailer for a while, and she held parties anyway. We just stayed outside on the patio.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Trailers are like 900 square feet, that's bigger than some 2-bedrooms.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Learning to get along with people you commonly interact with in close proximity is kind of an important life skill, though. :smith:

Yeah mine forced us to stay in the dorms for the first year both to squeeze more money out of us but more importantly (for me anyway) to force you to deal with people and i'm pretty glad it did

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/66e2w0/help_ford_dealership_threatening_to_sell_truck/
Help! Ford dealership threatening to sell truck out from under me if I don't pay 1,200 a month MINIMUM. (self.personalfinance)
submitted 6 days ago * by gypsywizard72

quote:

BACKSTORY: So I'm in the US Army and I bought a 2004 f150 from a used car dealership in Clarksville TN, just off post, about a month ago for $4,000. I purchased this truck with a loan from navy federal credit union. After driving this truck for about 2 weeks, I started to notice a small, quiet tick in the engine. I decided to drive it to auto parts stores and mechanics, to ask them what was wrong with it and I was given numerous answers that weren't very consistent with each other. I decided to take the truck to a ford dealership where I assumed it would be given a professional diagnosis and a fix if needed. They told me there was low compression in 6 of 8 cylinders and that it needed a brand new engine. They told me it would cost around $6,000. I told the mechanics that I couldn't afford to pay that within a reasonable amount of time. The man assured me that it's no big deal, they would just hold the truck until i could get it paid off. He literally said "as long as you bring a few hundred dollars in every few weeks, you will be fine" so I said okay go ahead and install the new motor. I went out of town for two weeks, got a call saying "hey, new motor was installed, truck was test driven, everything is looking great". I got back in town three days later and stopped by to chat with the mechanics and I paid $300 and said I would be back soon with another 3 or 4 hundred dollars within the next few weeks.
THE PART THAT MATTERS: One day after making a payment of $300 dollars, today, I got a call from the mechanic I've been dealing with, the same one I mentioned above about making the payments at my own pace, and a few hundred dollars here and there would be fine. He said that his supervisor told him that a few hundred dollars here and there isn't enough and if I didn't get the entire 6,000 some odd dollars paid off in the next 90 days, they would sell the truck. I tried to negotiate with the mechanics and my step father, who is the wisest man I'll probably ever know was the first person I could ask for help. He called the dealership and the mechanic was honest, saying that he DID in fact tell me that a comfortable payment of a few hundred dollars was fine and i could basically take my time. Step father demands to talk to the supervisor who tells him that the BEST he can do is for me to make a 300 dollar payment every week when I don't have that much left after bills. That's 1,200 dollars a month and I have never even heard of someone having to pay that much. That just isn't reasonable.
I would be grateful for any advice you have for me. This is really stressful for me and i don't know what to do.

Here's a sad with money story. Guy is an E-2, and earns like $21k/yr. :negative:
Amazing that he managed to get screwed by TWO different dealerships for $4k and $6k in the space of 3 months.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Why would anyone put 6 grand into a car that cost 4 :psyboom:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
The BWM family strikes again...

Went to my youngest cousins 21st birthday party. Stopped on the way and got her an UBER giftcard (don't drive drunk), also picked up a gift card to The Children's Place for my older cousin because he just had a kid with some woman.

Got to give the youngest her card. The older one wasn't there, because he was in jail. Again. Aunt and Uncle decided not to spend the $160 to bail him out...after having spent $7,000 on bailing him out repeatedly already.

The had the money to bail him out because my uncle finally got his workers comp payment for permanent disability after a nearly 10 year court battle. With the initial lump sum, they rented a house in a nice hood (OK). Then they proceeded to buy:

2010 Dodge Ram
2010 Jeep Cherokee
$3000 stereo system for Cherokee
1988 Jeep Wrangler
Black Chevy truck to pay back a friend they owed money to.
Dodge Durango, because friend didn't like black Chevy truck
2002 VW Jetta. Promptly totaled by older cousin in jail when he fell asleep behind the wheel after doing heroin. No insurance...they refused to buy it for him, he put all his money up his arm. Also, 5 DUI's on your record makes insurance too expensive.

Yeah. Oh, and my uncle was complaining because the remaining workers comp amount owed is being paid out in an annuity over the next 28 years. He wants the money now.

Please don't call JG Wentworth. Please.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

blackmet posted:

The BWM family strikes again...

Went to my youngest cousins 21st birthday party. Stopped on the way and got her an UBER giftcard (don't drive drunk), also picked up a gift card to The Children's Place for my older cousin because he just had a kid with some woman.

Got to give the youngest her card. The older one wasn't there, because he was in jail. Again. Aunt and Uncle decided not to spend the $160 to bail him out...after having spent $7,000 on bailing him out repeatedly already.

The had the money to bail him out because my uncle finally got his workers comp payment for permanent disability after a nearly 10 year court battle. With the initial lump sum, they rented a house in a nice hood (OK). Then they proceeded to buy:

2010 Dodge Ram
2010 Jeep Cherokee
$3000 stereo system for Cherokee
1988 Jeep Wrangler
Black Chevy truck to pay back a friend they owed money to.
Dodge Durango, because friend didn't like black Chevy truck
2002 VW Jetta. Promptly totaled by older cousin in jail when he fell asleep behind the wheel after doing heroin. No insurance...they refused to buy it for him, he put all his money up his arm. Also, 5 DUI's on your record makes insurance too expensive.

Yeah. Oh, and my uncle was complaining because the remaining workers comp amount owed is being paid out in an annuity over the next 28 years. He wants the money now.

Please don't call JG Wentworth. Please.

Get ready for a call asking for some help with the bills in 2-3 years

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

therobit posted:

BWM: not having overdraft protection on your checking account. OD protection can be bad for people with no self control bit if you had the money to pay in another account I am guessing that is not you.
I don't think they would cover an overdrafted check for $90k either way, but yeah, that was my first thought as well. I don't know if Alliant can link the savings account to cover, but I'll ask when I call them to waive the overdraft fee :suicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

potee posted:

Why would anyone put 6 grand into a car that cost 4 :psyboom:

Why would anyone put a NEW MOTOR in a 13 year old truck? For $1k he could have had a low mileage salvage yard motor installed (seriously.....they made so many of these motors they are cheap and plentiful at the junk yards).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

moana posted:

I don't think they would cover an overdrafted check for $90k either way, but yeah, that was my first thought as well. I don't know if Alliant can link the savings account to cover, but I'll ask when I call them to waive the overdraft fee :suicide:

Stackin' the bills with romance novels, nice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Motronic posted:

Why would anyone put a NEW MOTOR in a 13 year old truck? For $1k he could have had a low mileage salvage yard motor installed (seriously.....they made so many of these motors they are cheap and plentiful at the junk yards).

How do you find a mechanic that will do used parts? Is the answer post in AI and hope someone local sees? My wife's ZX2 has 45k miles on it, but they don't make parts for it anymore. The shop her family always used won't use secondhand parts, but they're glad to do a bodge job that failed the first time.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

Only the best for my truck. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you find a mechanic that will do used parts? Is the answer post in AI and hope someone local sees? My wife's ZX2 has 45k miles on it, but they don't make parts for it anymore. The shop her family always used won't use secondhand parts, but they're glad to do a bodge job that failed the first time.

Any reasonable shop (i.e. one that you actually want to deal with) will be happy to source a motor from a scrap yard. They aren't likely to warranty their labor to the extent that the scrap yard will warranty the motor (anywhere from nothing to 90 days is typical), but it's going to vary depending on their relationship with the yard.

So step 1: don't bring out of warranty cars to a dealership. There are good indy mechanics out there and you should ask around to find one in your area.

If you're talking used pieces parts that's a little dicier. But it sounds like you have a good reason for needing those....perhaps? I have a hard time actually believing that you can't find aftermarket parts for something that new unless you're talking about things like body panels.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 27, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wasn't involved with it, that's what my in-laws said before she got it. Something with the vacuum system causing it to stall out. I should probably ask her dad for details in case it comes up again.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

pr0zac posted:

I have heard and read this argument plenty of times with regard to the bed, which makes sense, but not the entire bedroom. Are people in studios or open lofts just hosed when it comes to sleep quality?

As I understand, the big problem there is the light from anything not turned off before you go to bed. Especially now that manufacturers think blue LEDs are hip, what with blue being the worst color of light to have in your face when you're trying to sleep.

Having your computer in your bedroom can be not that great if you ever need to download a big package (such as Steam games which can get into tens of gigabytes), or if Microsoft decrees that your computer must spend half an hour or so installing updates before it shuts off.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857290531533180929

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857291460013674504

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857292455552700421

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857292981853925376

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857293190663110656

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857294751313350656

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857295019878871041

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857295235206049792

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857295454668808192

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857295848732020736

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857296393454723072

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857296987338756096

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857297833451454464

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Idk man. A quick sear on cast iron seems like a good way to cook a steak.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

if Microsoft decrees that your computer must spend half an hour or so installing updates before it shuts off.

Just turn it off. Hold the power button for 5 seconds and it will shut off.

BWM today I went to an out of network dentist a 15 minute freeway ride from work rather than the slew of in network ones walking distance. It cost me $6 on top of my gas.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If well-done with ketchup is good enough for the President of the United States to take his steak, then it's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That was too much for me. I'm on a lot of drugs to make me feel good but somehow I still got angry.

• Locked thread