Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am thinking about buying Dawn of War III. I asked about it in the Steam thread but then things turned into a fight about MOBAs

The White Dragon posted:

actually i guess i could order food from amazon because it's not like i don't have the money, i just can't get physical cash, but idk if i trust internet food yet :v:

Food from Amazon is legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all food comes from the internet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am thinking about buying Dawn of War III.

i heard some podcasters say its wasn't as good as previous games but i forget what they said

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Guy Mann posted:

I rolled my eyes really hard when the RedLetterMedia guys complained that the diversity in The Force Awakes felt like a cold and calculated marketing move but then in Rogue One that was definitely the vibe I got from Cirrut and Baze where they put a pretty cool and non-traditional gay couple (older dudes, masculine, Asian, total badasses) in the movie but then shied away of actually being explicit enough to avoid deniability. Rogue One in general kind of felt like that all over, it wasn't a bad movie by any means but for every interesting decision or risk it took it also did something that felt kind of dumb or playing it too safe in the name of building the brand and appealing to the international market.

Of course this year Disney just went through a lot of poo poo internationally for refusing to edit out a gay subplot in that live-action Beauty and the Beast movie to the point where it didn't even get released in some places so :shrug:

I never saw them as gay, just really really old friends/brothers in arms who have basicaly lived with each other since children and having different perspectivece on how they follow faith. i guess i didnt notice the gay cues. i was more annoyed how flat everyone character was in rogue one. like yeah there was stuff you could piece together easy enough and Cirrut and Baze and the robot were likable enough. but holy gently caress main dude and lead lady were flat and boring, they had potential to be interesting but it was underused. y it was just idk i didn't care about them or feel really bad for them at the end. in 7, all the characters are cool and likable and you route for them and feel for them. kylo is a interesting badguy/anakin done right/inverse vader.

also watched the star wars battlefront 2 and got weirdly annoyed because they messed up the imperials the stormtrooper sergeant is wearing the wrong pauldron. sergeants are grey/white, black pauldrons are for enlisted men, and orange if officers. they better fix it. :colbert:

also the new cod looks cool. cool to see back in world war 2. apperently alot of the campaign is the Battle of Hürtgen Forest. which i never heard off. looked it up. apperently it was a massive gently caress up and blunder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZl-pNGqMY&t

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I swear I remember reading some dwarf fortress story about a dwarf who accidentally became a cyborg after having pretty much every piece of his original body replaced over time until he was an unstoppable machine of prosthetics. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/857430382458916864

Saints Row: WWII

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, if you level up in CoD and don't hear a sick guitar wail, what are we even doing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Weed War II

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://i.imgur.com/Vr9g0Za.gifv

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Zootopia on a surface level. It was fun, funny, and the world design and general aesthetics were great. The story didn't really grab me and it was all over the place thematically.

Now, Inside Out, there's a fuckin movie. That movie hit me right in the feels.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

Now, Inside Out, there's a fuckin movie. That movie hit me right in the feels.

That's the one with the emotion people right? Never really clicked with me. Fun to imagine about, but I never really connected, myself. Sounds like we had pretty inverted experiences :)

also bank processed my poo poo it's time to eat something that didnt come from a dollar menu :rock:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 27, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I loved Inside Out. So much. The post credit scene with the cat, I laughed so hard...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

I loved Inside Out. So much. The post credit scene with the cat, I laughed so hard...

I didnt like it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just really connected with the idea that all your emotions have a role to play in your life, and that trying to be happy all the time and letting happiness, or lack thereof, define your life is ultimately unhealthy and self destructive. That it's better to explore the emotions you do have and how you can use them as part of a more cohesive whole.

It's not like one of the emotions was "crippling depression" and it was supposed to be good too. I don't feel like the movie ever went into bad pop-psychology land or made any statements about mental illness.

And I thought it was really cool, conceptually. There are lots of stories about internal conflict within a character, and the idea of taking someone's conflicted feelings and making that conflict the main conflict of a story, rather that whatever external conflicts where causing those feelings in the character, it really neat.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Autosaving between levels + beat-em-up mechanics + really long levels + only one life + instant death pits = I stop playing "I am the hero".

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, it was a neat take on being emotionally healthy and integrated ideas on critical periods and memory/perception well.

Real hurthling! posted:

I didnt like it.

Boo this man.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Up next is... BIT.TRIP RUNNER?

I don't think I have ever played a game more infuriating in my life. Holy poo poo. I was actually having a lot of fun and then it suddenly dumped levels on me that are ten times longer and more difficult than any of the others before them. I would have to start over again from the beginning if I wanted to drop down to easy skill. Uninstalled after 107 minutes. I'm done.

On to Blood. A game that's also enraging, but for a different reason! :haw:

the reason is that there's a bug that basically switches the difficulty to max if you load a saved game, regardless of what you started on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Boo this man.

Pixar is fine but i'm into serious documentaries like jojos

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Yeah, it was a neat take on being emotionally healthy and integrated ideas on critical periods and memory/perception well.

Boo this man.

There is a big revelatory moment where they realize that the happiest day and the saddest day were the same day, but from a different perspective, focusing on a different part. Only having the sad memory was neglecting the good things in life, but also only having the happy memory prevented them from learning from past emotional traumas and being prepared to deal with future ones.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

I didnt like it.

I really wasn't into Inside Out because it felt like the Pixar Formula distilled down to its purest and most calculated form where two ~unlikely companions~ and several cute highly-toyetic side characters are forced into a crazy adventure and a race against time and manage to learn a few things about themselves. Also, to paraphrase a meme from when it came out, the event horizon of movies like "what if toys had feelings" and "what if monsters had feelings" is "what if feelings had feelings".

The character of Bing Bong was especially bad because it was such a transparently calculated tug at the heartstrings to introduce a cute character just to kill him off in the same scene.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's really harsh, I'm sure it's not that bad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kids these days

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -- SHODAN

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so is the new game Prey connected to the old game Prey? Cause I assumed it was, but it's just called Prey? and it's not Prey 2?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mak0rz posted:

I don't think I have ever played a game more infuriating in my life. Holy poo poo. I was actually having a lot of fun and then it suddenly dumped levels on me that are ten times longer and more difficult than any of the others before them. I would have to start over again from the beginning if I wanted to drop down to easy skill. Uninstalled after 107 minutes. I'm done.

On to Blood. A game that's also enraging, but for a different reason! :haw:

the reason is that there's a bug that basically switches the difficulty to max if you load a saved game, regardless of what you started on

Runner 2 is cool. It has checkpoints, but you can jump over them if you're good and want a higher score, like in Shovel Knight. It also has Charles Martinet!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4XkoCPT0o

This owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Runner 2 is cool. It has checkpoints, but you can jump over them if you're good and want a higher score, like in Shovel Knight. It also has Charles Martinet!

I like runner 2 a lot. Isn't there a runner 3 coming out? Maybe 4? Does runner 3 already exist?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Wait, so is the new game Prey connected to the old game Prey? Cause I assumed it was, but it's just called Prey? and it's not Prey 2?

It shares the name and the basic concept (person fighting aliens in space station) but that's about it. The Prey 2 with the bounty hunter concept and open world was scrapped due to rumoured Bethesda/Zenimax fuckery where they tried and failed to do a hostile takeover of the studio developing it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

In Training posted:

I like runner 2 a lot. Isn't there a runner 3 coming out? Maybe 4? Does runner 3 already exist?

I was going to say no but uh holy moly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGggf7Lh6c

I hope it won't be Switch exclusive :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

There isn't Runner 3 yet but it's coming soon and i'm fuckin pumped. Hopefully the reverse Merman dude comes back. I also liked the Swedish hamburger head man, whose name I believe was roughly pronounced "wetfart"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
somebody help me understand why the style switcher mod for devil may cry 3 has become actively more obtuse to set up and now requires an external program for the controller fixes

how do you get from a really basic, understandable ini file structure used by plenty of similar mods and programs to this in one update. i just wanted to see if this fixed the graphical effects in the boss rush and the music performance bug...

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 27, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I googled "bioshock in space" to see how many other outlets were saying that about Prey and it turns out there are a lot of them and I'm really annoyed about that.

edit: Bioshock in space? Well, an idea like that is certainly a shock to the system ah hah hah hah loving kill me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
system shock... that sounds like... bioshock, but without the bio!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Remember when SOMA's first trailers intentionally made it seem like the game took place on a space station, and then one of the final trailers before release revealed that actually the facility was underwater? I thought that was a kinda cool marketing thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKm-UaIw0Po

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bioshock was and is incredibly popular so it's obvious they're gonna want to invite those comparisons.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When's toxicshock, bioshock but in the sewers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

Bioshock was and is incredibly popular so it's obvious they're gonna want to invite those comparisons.

Well sure but you'd think there would be a better way to go about it than to phrase it with the absolute max amount of :ironicat: possible

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Well sure but you'd think there would be a better way to go about it than to phrase it with the absolute max amount of :ironicat: possible

I'm not sure you understand marketing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I really wasn't into Inside Out because it felt like the Pixar Formula distilled down to its purest and most calculated form where two ~unlikely companions~ and several cute highly-toyetic side characters are forced into a crazy adventure and a race against time and manage to learn a few things about themselves. Also, to paraphrase a meme from when it came out, the event horizon of movies like "what if toys had feelings" and "what if monsters had feelings" is "what if feelings had feelings".

The character of Bing Bong was especially bad because it was such a transparently calculated tug at the heartstrings to introduce a cute character just to kill him off in the same scene.

what if humans were all run as corporations masquerading as feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

I'm not sure you understand marketing.

If their goal was to look like morons, they did a fine job.

• Locked thread