Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

anilEhilated posted:

While this is probably the worst reason possible, is there any chance it could turn out... alright?

Dushku doesn't have the clout to say "this is bad, fix it or else" that, say, Jolie would have. So the outlook is grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Groke posted:

As I understand it, a certain author's problem is not so much not writing, but more endlessly rewriting and rewriting and rewriting. Granted, this also results in a dearth of actually finished manuscripts, but the process is different.

(Which is an amusing parallel with another author of an earlier generation but with the same middle initials, because that other author was in his time the High King of endless rewrites, to the point where careers were subsequently made from his desk drawers full of leftover drafts and revisions.)

Oh jeez, we're going to get some sort of 'GRRM's Book of Lost Tales' after he croaks. Except instead of chill old gnomes telling stories it'll be weird gnome incest and murder.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Autonomous Monster posted:

In other news, David Goyer is adapting The Black Company because Eliza Dushku wanted to play the Lady. So that's happening.

wat?

I can't tell if I should be excited or not? I am going to go with tenatively interested much like the new Blade Runner movie. Although I am curious on the new book that is also apparently coming out? Not too many authors walk away from a series for a decade or more and write another book.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 25, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Jack2142 posted:

wat?

I can't tell if I should be excited or not? I am going to go with tenatively interested much like the new Blade Runner movie. Although I am curious on the new book that is also apparently coming out? Not too many authors walk away from a series for a decade or more and write another book.

It makes me think of that alternate reality Jumper book that Gould wrote as a tie-in to the movie so that they could ditch the Islamic terrorism angle.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It makes me think of that alternate reality Jumper book that Gould wrote as a tie-in to the movie so that they could ditch the Islamic terrorism angle.

He actually wrote a real sequel to jumper recently too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Groke posted:

As I understand it, a certain author's problem is not so much not writing, but more endlessly rewriting and rewriting and rewriting.

:ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:laffo:

That reminds me, I need to reread Traitor when I finish my Craft Cycle reread.

The two actually feel somewhat similar. Maybe it's that they're both in large part about administration. :v:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I have a vague memory of trying to read the first Wheel of Time book when I was a kid, thinking something like “drat, nothing interesting has happened for the first hundred pages or so,” and giving up.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

ianmacdo posted:

He actually wrote a real sequel to jumper recently too.

There's several. Reflex is ok, but terrible bad guys. Impulse is mediocre, his take on an angsty teenage girl. Then Exo is real dumb, the teenage girl who speaks technobabble in completely unbelievable ways.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Some fifteen hundred posts or so ago I asked if the Malazan series would get any better after book three or so and man am I glad I stuck with it. I remember some goon saying it was a grim series but I think it went way past that in like book six and straight into misery. :stare: and it's a testament to the authors skill that I could not put the books down despite all the increasingly horrifying things happening to everybody.

Edit: although I noticed a couple of plotlines not really ending, like Karsa Orlongs whole thing.

Biplane fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

As I understand it, a certain author's problem is not so much not writing, but more endlessly rewriting and rewriting and rewriting. Granted, this also results in a dearth of actually finished manuscripts, but the process is different.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

Groke posted:

(Which is an amusing parallel with another author of an earlier generation but with the same middle initials, because that other author was in his time the High King of endless rewrites, to the point where careers were subsequently made from his desk drawers full of leftover drafts and revisions.)

I think I have read like 3 different versions of Beren and Luthien as well as the Turion saga, so that doesn't surprise me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Biplane posted:

Some fifteen hundred posts or so ago I asked if the Malazan series would get any better after book three or so and man am I glad I stuck with it. I remember some goon saying it was a grim series but I think it went way past that in like book six and straight into misery. :stare: and it's a testament to the authors skill that I could not put the books down despite all the increasingly horrifying things happening to everybody.

Edit: although I noticed a couple of plotlines not really ending, like Karsa Orlongs whole thing.

...How did you not find the Chain of Dogs miserable, or the literal buildings full of corpses miserable?

Oh god what kind of bullet did I miss by not finishing book 3?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

...How did you not find the Chain of Dogs miserable, or the literal buildings full of corpses miserable?

You didn't finish book 3, Memories of Ice? :stare: :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

You didn't finish book 3, Memories of Ice? :stare: :psyduck:

It's long, miserable, and for every interesting thing in the book, they introduce three more things that are aimed at making you sad. :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Chain of Dogs was horrific and also fantastic and its by far the best sequence in the series in my opinion, but the rest is also good and cool, although harrowing and relentlessly bleak.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Biplane posted:

The Chain of Dogs was horrific and also fantastic and its by far the best sequence in the series in my opinion, but the rest is also good and cool, although harrowing and relentlessly bleak.

Fair enough!

...I liked the first book best out of the set as it wasn't relentlessly horrible. I was hoping the rest of the series would be more in that line, and nope. It's bleak, sad, bleak, or horrific. At some point the stars will realign so I'll be in the mood where I can handle that, but not today!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fair enough!

...I liked the first book best out of the set as it wasn't relentlessly horrible. I was hoping the rest of the series would be more in that line, and nope. It's bleak, sad, bleak, or horrific. At some point the stars will realign so I'll be in the mood where I can handle that, but not today!

You know, it is always interesting with other perspectives, such as yours in this case.

One the main things I have always enjoyed with Erikson is his ability mix comedy with tragedy. Even in the horrible Chain of Dogs there are a lot of humorous moments.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just finished the Craft cycle. it's weird. Where are all the communists?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

I just finished the Craft cycle. it's weird. Where are all the communists?

There'd have to be a way to compel rather than trade their soulstuff. Or monopolize and control the source of starlight through revolution.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
As I read it, there were communists, but they lost the God Wars.

Part of the issue is that the magic system is somewhat inherently Randian, for lack of a better term -- driven by powerful skilled individuals rather than collective action.

The books clearly don't present that as a good thibg, of course. See the exploitative methods of Denovo.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 26, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't read the last two books, but in Two Serpents Rising the craftsmen vs the gods was p. much laissez-faire vs statism.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As I read it, there were communists, but they lost the God Wars.

Part of the issue is that the magic system is somewhat inherently Randian, for lack of a better term -- driven by powerful skilled individuals rather than collective action.

The books clearly don't present that as a good thibg, of course. See the exploitative methods of Denovo.

I dunno, you could view Kos and his city as a kind of spiritual Communism with Kos as the head of the Party.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Captain Monkey posted:

I dunno, you could view Kos and his city as a kind of spiritual Communism with Kos as the head of the Party.

People can leave, have access to craft if they want, and aren't compelled to give Kos soulstuff though. They pay for church provided utilities, but it's not really different than Red King Consolidated selling water. Hell, the plots of two books revolve around Kos' full integration into the craft system.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Oh, you sweet summer child.

Haha, no. I have been following a certain series some time before it gained notoriety, randomly picking up the first book in a bookstore and remembering that a certain author was known for writing some pretty kickass short stories (oh, the irony). This was either shortly before or shortly after book #2 was published, because I remember I didn't have to wait long for that, but did have to wait for book #3. Or what we thought of as "waiting" back in those more innocent times. Been right about twenty years now...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

People can leave, have access to craft if they want, and aren't compelled to give Kos soulstuff though. They pay for church provided utilities, but it's not really different than Red King Consolidated selling water. Hell, the plots of two books revolve around Kos' full integration into the craft system.

Ah, it's been a while, I thought everyone in the city was sort of a latent Kos believer, which accounted for his massive bank of soulstuff. I just misremembered!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Captain Monkey posted:

Ah, it's been a while, I thought everyone in the city was sort of a latent Kos believer, which accounted for his massive bank of soulstuff. I just misremembered!

I think it's pretty common, but it seems like you have to affirmatively transfer significant quantities by going to services.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Monkey posted:

I was thinking more of the prior human sacrifice system in Dresediel Lex. Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one! (Vulcans are communists right?)

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'm so glad this thread sold me on the Craft Sequence a whole ago. I'm on the fourth book now and they're a blast which is not something I thought I'd say about magical economics and property disputes

If you haven't read it yet: lawyer necromancers.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've devoured Greg Egan and Peter Watts' entire catalogs and am still thirsty for more mindbending sci-fi, anyone got any recs?

I also loved The Quantum Thief trilogy and the Takeshi Kovachs books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've devoured Greg Egan and Peter Watts' entire catalogs and am still thirsty for more mindbending sci-fi, anyone got any recs?

Reynolds

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Embassytown.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJ Cherryh

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Rook 2: Stiletto and The Grace of Kings are 99p on Amazon UK. Been meaning to try both, but the general feeling towards Grace. Of Kings seems to be negative around here?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Kindle Daily Deal US has a pretty decent sale of different SF&F books today.

Gardens of the Moon: Book One of The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
Company Town by Madeline Ashby
Blindsight (Firefall) by Peter Watts
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Among Others (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novel) by Jo Walton
Dark Run (Keiko Book 1) by Mike Brooks
Hominids: Volume One of The Neanderthal Parallax by Robert J. Sawyer
A Daughter of No Nation by A. M. Dellamonica
Willful Child by Steven Erikson
Speak to the Devil (The Brothers Magnus) by Dave Duncan
Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson

and Tor.com published an article yesterday, named All of Your Favorite SFF TV and Movie Adaptations in the Works, with both rumours, in the works and about to be released lists of all kinds of SF&F adaptions.
Fun stuff, even if most of them are just announced options.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

Blindsight (Firefall) by Peter Watts
Among Others (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novel) by Jo Walton

These two are easily worth the $3 each. Personally no idea about the rest.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
If anyone's looking for some new steampunk, Senlin Ascends is a quiet gem. Especially for a $3 self-published first novel. I sample these kinds of books compulsively and they're usually crap, but it's absolutely worth it for the rare one like this.

quote:

While honeymooning in the Tower of Babel, Thomas Senlin loses his wife, Marya.

The Tower of Babel is the greatest marvel of the Silk Age. Immense as a mountain, the ancient Tower holds unnumbered ringdoms, warring and peaceful, stacked one on the other like the layers of a cake. It is a world of geniuses and tyrants, of airships and steam engines, of unusual animals and mysterious machines.

Thomas Senlin, the mild-mannered headmaster of a small village school, is drawn to the Tower by scientific curiosity and the grandiose promises of a guidebook. The luxurious Baths of the Tower seem an ideal destination for a honeymoon, but soon after arriving, Senlin loses Marya in the crowd.

Senlin’s search for Marya carries him through madhouses, ballrooms, and burlesque theaters. He must survive betrayal, assassination, and the long guns of a flying fortress. But if he hopes to find his wife, he will have to do more than just survive. This quiet man of letters must become a man of action.

My only quibble is that the main character spends much of the first book being completely loving useless, which annoys me despite it being part and parcel of his arc.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 27, 2017

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Nevvy Z posted:

These two are easily worth the $3 each. Personally no idea about the rest.

Spin is pretty good. So is Julian Comstock.
I liked the previous book by A. M. Dellamonica so I'll try this new one. It's a bit derivative of Stross' Merchant Princes series though.

I've never read any Steve Erikson though I've heard mention of the Malazan stuff before. Is it any good?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Junkenstein posted:

The Rook 2: Stiletto and The Grace of Kings are 99p on Amazon UK. Been meaning to try both, but the general feeling towards Grace. Of Kings seems to be negative around here?

I must have missed the talk about it.

Totally worth the price imo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Malazan is the best epic fantasy series out there, but it's a big commitment and the first book (Gardens of the Moon) is a bit rough compared to the later books. In my opinion there's nothing else like Malazan both in scope and in sheer fantasy, it's worth sticking through the fairly confusing first book. It's also, in my opinion, as good as or better than ASOIAF for rereads, each book is full of interesting side details that can be missed the first time around.

As a note it took me two false starts on Gardens before it really clicked about halfway through and I powered through the rest of the series. I'm definitely glad I committed to it.

Willful Child is very different and more of a comedy sci-fi parody, of Star Trek in particular. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I still enjoyed the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Malazan is the best epic fantasy series out there, but it's a big commitment and the first book (Gardens of the Moon) is a bit rough compared to the later books. In my opinion there's nothing else like Malazan both in scope and in sheer fantasy, it's worth sticking through the fairly confusing first book. It's also, in my opinion, as good as or better than ASOIAF for rereads, each book is full of interesting side details that can be missed the first time around.

As a note it took me two false starts on Gardens before it really clicked about halfway through and I powered through the rest of the series. I'm definitely glad I committed to it.

Willful Child is very different and more of a comedy sci-fi parody, of Star Trek in particular. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I still enjoyed the story.

Easier solution:
Start with Deadhouse Gates, the number 2 in the series.
If one doesn't like that one , one might as well skip the rest.