Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
uber's press conferences in five years are all like BEHOLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The funny thing is they could totally do it next month if they wanted to, "flying cars" have been around for years. They're just massively expensive, cumbersome to operate in any sort of built up area, and the actual flight costs would be horrendous.

But since their purpose as a company appears to be "find a way to burn as much VC money as possible as fast as possible" spending billions buying the vehicles and then subsidizing the rides so they only cost a few dozen bucks would be a great way to achieve that!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Time posted:

Dude isn't wrong in his first paragraph
Tone matters as much as content in these things. The tone is waaaay off; angry and defensive when it should be calm and reassuring. They should be saying "Yes, we are grabbing your data, but our anonymizing tools are incredibly powerful so that no one message will be traceable to you." Or whatever. Not "I can't believe how dumb you are that you care about this!!?!?!?!"

e: And "you're being so MEEEAN to my friend" should be saved for the bar or for the therapist, not for the press.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tone matters as much as content in these things. The tone is waaaay off; angry and defensive when it should be calm and reassuring. They should be saying "Yes, we are grabbing your data, but our anonymizing tools are incredibly powerful so that no one message will be traceable to you." Or whatever. Not "I can't believe how dumb you are that you care about this!!?!?!?!"

e: And "you're being so MEEEAN to my friend" should be saved for the bar or for the therapist, not for the press.

I 1000% agree with you. I just also thought the people going "wait they monetized this?!?!" Are stupid, as well. Lot of stupidity to go around.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fishmech posted:

The funny thing is they could totally do it next month if they wanted to, "flying cars" have been around for years. They're just massively expensive, cumbersome to operate in any sort of built up area, and the actual flight costs would be horrendous.

Rich folks and politicians already charter helicopters in NYC and some other major cities, and you could almost read this like an attempt by Uber to fold that service into their app. Agreed that they could do it now and it would just be stupid-expensive. :lol: at the idea that they may try to cut costs by ignoring FAA regulations the way they ignored local regulations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

LanceHunter posted:

Rich folks and politicians already charter helicopters in NYC and some other major cities, and you could almost read this like an attempt by Uber to fold that service into their app. Agreed that they could do it now and it would just be stupid-expensive. :lol: at the idea that they may try to cut costs by ignoring FAA regulations the way they ignored local regulations.

they already offer uber helicopter in NYC. Its biggest use is people going out to the hamptons who dont want to wait in traffic.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

This 'article' deserves to by printed out and physically crammed up the writer's rear end. What a piece of poo poo.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mozi posted:

This 'article' deserves to by printed out and physically crammed up the writer's rear end. What a piece of poo poo.

Here's the original white paper.

What should really surprise no one is how many different regulations this sort of thing would break. The FAA would have an absolute field day with this poo poo. When it came out I asked an Uber employee if this was just investor storytime and he was really pissed off with me.

For instance, Uber believes that they'll be able to successfully argue that their pilot will require less training due to autonomous tools, much like someone holding a sport license requires less training than a commercial helicopter pilot operating in an urban area at low altitude. Fun!

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 25, 2017

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Solkanar512 posted:

Here's the original white paper.

For instance, Uber believes that they'll be able to successfully argue that their pilot will require less training due to autonomous tools, much like someone holding a sport license requires less training than a commercial helicopter pilot operating in an urban area at low altitude. Fun!

In the age of Trump, I never thought it'd be the half-baked schemes of techbros that'd be the death of us.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

this person isn't under any obligation to do that, seeing as they are not part of the company anymore. and they're completely right that suddenly objecting to this intrusion is really adorable when consumers have been willfully giving up their privacy for years and only now scream outrage because it involves uber. it's very reminiscent of the hate Monsanto attracts.

honestly I find the vitriol refreshing, but then again i willfully browse d&d for hours of my day so i'm probably hosed in the head.

also the worst thing in this statement isn't even quoted in the tweet, its below where they admire travis kalanick's ability to "crush it." this person even goes on to clarify they don't admire what kalanick is and even say that his behavior feeds into how silicon valley is irredeemable. it's like, wow, you've recognized the fundamental poison that flows through the beating heart of capitalism, that exists independent of any CEO's transgressions, and that's what your clarifying your admiration for?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 26, 2017

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Suicide of an Uber engineer: Widow blames job stress

http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Suicide-of-an-Uber-engineer-widow-blames-job-11095807.php

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A big flaming stink posted:

this person isn't under any obligation to do that, seeing as they are not part of the company anymore. and they're completely right that suddenly objecting to this intrusion is really adorable when consumers have been willfully giving up their privacy for years and only now scream outrage because it involves uber. it's very reminiscent of the hate Monsanto attracts.

honestly I find the vitriol refreshing, but then again i willfully browse d&d for hours of my day so i'm probably hosed in the head.

but this

quote:

also the worst thing in this statement isn't even quoted in the tweet, its below where they admire travis kalanick's ability to "crush it." this person even goes on to clarify they don't admire what kalanick is and even say that his behavior feeds into how silicon valley is irredeemable. it's like, wow, you've recognized the fundamental poison that flows through the beating heart of capitalism, that exists independent of any CEO's transgressions, and that's what your clarifying your admiration for?
is just a case of :capitalism: why are you loving surprised

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has this been posted before because lol:

Emma Pierson posted:

Microsoft’s CEO was once asked, in a technical interview, what he would do if he saw a baby lying in an intersection: the obvious answer to pick up the baby did not occur to him

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Arglebargle III posted:

that baby can pick itself up by its own bootstraps

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Arglebargle III posted:

That baby is going to the big blue screen in the sky

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno, I've been asked questions from time to time where I presumed that they wanted something more than the obvious answer and struggled to think of one. Like in driver's ed, we came upon a sign that said "No Left Turn" and the instructor asked us all why were weren't allowed to turn left there. We sat there for a while trying to figure out why the sign would be placed there when she finally said, "Because there's a 'No Left Turn' sign posted".

I would like to think that this was the case here, but then again who the gently caress knows.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Trick job interview questions are the dumbest way of evaluating someone's worth, personality or ethics. Fucker's a capitalist already, you have plenty of legitimate reason to hate him without thinking he's a baby eater

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

At what time is it mentioned in the video?

Also, what was their answer?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's around 1:07

He said he would go look for a payphone

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 26, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Twitter’s revenue drops despite the Trump effect

quote:

Twitter has never turned a profit, and for the first time since going public in 2013, it reported a decline in revenue from the previous year. Its revenue was $548.3 million, down 8 percent.

And remember how after failing to buy Instagram, Twitter actively stopped embedding Instagram posts in an effort to get its users to move away from Instagram?

Instagram is gaining new users faster than ever.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Doggles posted:

And remember how after failing to buy Instagram, Twitter actively stopped embedding Instagram posts in an effort to get its users to move away from Instagram?

Can't wait for Twitter to abruptly fold one day kinda like Vine did. Comedians, journalists and nazis won't know what to do with themselves.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Twitter is failing because black people use it just like Vine and it scares white people.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Thank you for reminding me about Vine. Twitter bought it for $30 million months before the app was ever completed. Despite steady user growth they shut it down this past October (didn't realize it was that recent) to focus on their live-streaming tech.

That live-streaming tech was headlined by Twitter's NFL deal to stream 10 games last season. This upcoming season, they got outbid by Amazon for streaming rights.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why the gently caress would twitter stream sports, that's not in their wheelhouse at all.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Why the gently caress would twitter stream sports, that's not in their wheelhouse at all.

because sports seem to be resistant to the overall trend of a loss of interest in traditional content providers (its not actually)

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Doggles posted:

doesn't twitter still employ an insane number of programmers for it's size and lack constantly adding features like facebook does

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A big flaming stink posted:

because sports seem to be resistant to the overall trend of a loss of interest in traditional content providers (its not actually)

Some relevant ESPN news

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jack2142 posted:

Twitter is failing because black people use it just like Vine and it scares white people.

This is the truth.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Most of Twitter's best ideas were things that came from outside of Twitter that it bought or adopted, for all that it spends a disproportionate amount on R&D. There's an alternate universe where it realized early it works best as a platform and fully monetized developers building on top of it, instead of monomaniacally pursuing ad revenue at the expense of everything else and becoming a shittier Facebook.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'm glad the twitter algorithm that suspended me for calling someone a "dumb-dumb" but lets Nazis tweet whatever they want about shoving Jews into ovens isn't making them money

cowofwar posted:

Sports is generally one of the biggest consistent trenders, along with albums being dropped and tv shows. Also National Whatever Days, which if twitter was smart it would have a whole set of themes for all the different days and start trends themselves, sort of like Google doodles.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doggles posted:

Thank you for reminding me about Vine. Twitter bought it for $30 million months before the app was ever completed. Despite steady user growth they shut it down this past October (didn't realize it was that recent) to focus on their live-streaming tech.

That live-streaming tech was headlined by Twitter's NFL deal to stream 10 games last season. This upcoming season, they got outbid by Amazon for streaming rights.

I will say to Twitter's credit, their streams were extremely good in terms of quality and reliability, much better than NBC Sports.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Doggles posted:

twiiter: "they miss the eggs, don't they. i said not to get rid of them!"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/715648874346520576

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zikan posted:

doesn't twitter still employ an insane number of programmers for it's size and lack constantly adding features like facebook does

I have a friend who worked there for a month or two. She quit despite the money (which was great) because she had no idea what she was supposed to be doing or who she was supposed to report to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I have a friend who worked there for a month or two. She quit despite the money (which was great) because she had no idea what she was supposed to be doing or who she was supposed to report to.

So she quit a well paid job where she didn't need to actually do anything?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Andrast posted:

So she quit a well paid job where she didn't need to actually do anything?

It's actually pretty loving depressing to be obligated to spend 8 hours a day at the office doing nothing because management has no sense of direction.

Plus if you're interested in actually advancing your career then leaving is probably the more prudent decision.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

gently caress, Juicero is going to the moon BUY BUY BUY

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

skull mask mcgee posted:

It's actually pretty loving depressing to be obligated to spend 8 hours a day at the office doing nothing because management has no sense of direction.

Plus if you're interested in actually advancing your career then leaving is probably the more prudent decision.

This. Certain companies can be toxic on your resume, as has been mentioned previously in this thread (Uber and Yahoo specifically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I’m surprised the FAA hasn’t said “lolno” to flying cars yet

Like the idea that flying is safer than driving is kind of a logical fallacy given that your typical underpaid airline captain already has thousands of hours under his belt and enough responsibility to not send a plane full of passengers into the ground

The entire general aviation sector is already dominated by enough idiots with only VFR experience who accidentally fly themselves into Class 4 thunderstorms

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 27, 2017