Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Route C: The Logic virus is giving me severe flashbacks to the shittest bit of Revengeance. Is the effect where You can't jump random or is it purposefully trying to make me take a particular path.? I tried going straight across the crater and go mobbed to death because of a small wall.
When I first got to that part I got dropkicked by a randrom robot from offscreen into the pit at the bottom of the crater and spent the next five minutes trying to climb out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Just wait until you're going through the game for alternate endings, that section has two and they're both at the end of that part.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Josuke Higashikata posted:

C route
The only bit I saw was when Kyle noticed the children's cores and he sat there trying to get people to pay attention but someone entered the room and someone started shrieking for a good 10 seconds and no one was paying attention to him and that was probably the worst first impression to the stream, cos I'm sure there's significantly less shrieking on the whole

The juxtaposition of Kira being really cheery that someone had arrived and Kyle on the couch in shock is almost pitch perfect.

I am super bummed to hear that Kira and Kyle have gotten poo poo. I mean its to be expected because its the Internet, but it still sucks. It probably sucks more BECAUSE it is to be expected. They both did a great job with Nier though and they should be proud of that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just unlocked fast travel. What's the deal with the pit at the end of the desert, where you first fight the white-haired humanoid machine, that got birthed out of hundreds of other machines? A ton of pretty high level mobs constantly spawn.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I just unlocked fast travel. What's the deal with the pit at the end of the desert, where you first fight the white-haired humanoid machine, that got birthed out of hundreds of other machines? A ton of pretty high level mobs constantly spawn.

Just a decent spot to grind xp and maybe some parts. (titanium I think? Been awhile)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Phobophilia posted:

It's just a place to grind. The big enemies drop machine cores pretty regularly so it's a great places to earn money.

The levels of the enemies in that area never change, so it's best to come back later when they can't one-shot you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get the resistance camp vendors to sell to A2 and why the hell are they still alive and hanging out there?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

veni veni veni posted:

How do I get the resistance camp vendors to sell to A2 and why the hell are they still alive and hanging out there?

Progress a little further in the story, and you'll go be told to go to the Resistance Camp. Then you can use the vendors.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does A2 actually kill pascal if you choose that option.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

veni veni veni posted:

Does A2 actually kill pascal if you choose that option.

its an ending

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Is there a version of the soundtrack for this game I can purchase that includes the "BECOME AS GODS" and "THIS CANNOT CONTINUE" robot chanting in the tracks? The Amazon demo play seems to suggest it does not feature that in the proper OST and that makes me sad. The boss fight with "Become as Gods" is my favorite track to listen to on YouTube, and I feel like it loses something without that chanting.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

No Wave posted:

I mean there's a reason N:A was the successful one. All hail Platinum.

You know it was actually Akihiko Yoshida drawing butts that sold this game right

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

Is there a version of the soundtrack for this game I can purchase that includes the "BECOME AS GODS" and "THIS CANNOT CONTINUE" robot chanting in the tracks? The Amazon demo play seems to suggest it does not feature that in the proper OST and that makes me sad. The boss fight with "Become as Gods" is my favorite track to listen to on YouTube, and I feel like it loses something without that chanting.

Unfortunately the OST doesn't have those versions of Birth of a Wish, you're stuck with the Youtube audio rips if you want the chants. Similarly it only has the Japanese version of Emil's shop theme which is a shame because the English lyrics are hilarious.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Every sale's a deal~
Every deal's a win~

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Debating whether to get this on my PC or PS4 pro.

Leaning towards the ps4 because I don't plan on upgrading my GPU to a gtx 1070 for another month.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Begemot posted:

Every sale's a deal~
Every deal's a win~

Every day is great when you're MEEEE

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
you know i think i prefer the ceo version of birth of a wish

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

InfinityComplex posted:

you know i think i prefer the ceo version of birth of a wish

I can't wait to hear the full glory of "YOSUKE DESU MATSUDA DESU"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Badingading posted:

Unfortunately the OST doesn't have those versions of Birth of a Wish, you're stuck with the Youtube audio rips if you want the chants. Similarly it only has the Japanese version of Emil's shop theme which is a shame because the English lyrics are hilarious.

Here, I made a cut of the spoiler in English that matches the Japanese version.

https://clyp.it/ffftkfys

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

He's British.

Kinda sucks if Kira stopped doing the streams because of garbage trolling. Chat itself seemed quite nice on the few streams I was around to watch live. Right now Kyle is doing OG Nier, it's interesting to see people that got "in" through Automata handle a WAY more janky and...Yoko Taro-ish game.

English and you can be plenty enthusiastic without breaking eardrums

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm British and my eardrums are fine, you're just a grump.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I was not enjoying this game till i put it down to easy with the intention of blazing through for the story and trading it in.

Turns out easy mode effectively makes the game play itself. Not sure what to think about that but a game whose biggest weakness is its moment to moment gameplay allowing you to completely circumvent the actual playing is hilarious.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Hard was fun for me :). You should just think that you subjectively felt differently and didn't like the combat in the game? Not a big mystery, Platinum usually has had tourist difficulties for people like that who just enjoy coasting through the spectacle, it's nothing new or surprising.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 27, 2017

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Platinum usually has had tourist difficulties for people like that who just enjoy coasting through the spectacle, it's nothing new or surprising.

Oh I had no idea, its just especially jarring in Nier because games like God Hand or Bayonetta had such fantastic combat mechanics and Niers is just so poor its not even funny. There aren't even achievements tied to difficulty so the only reason to play above easy is to make yourself spend more time doing the mundane combat sections. Its baffling to me.

I really am bummed out by this game and its incredibly frustrating to see hundreds of comments about "greatest gaming experience ever" and "GOTY 2017" and I'm just sitting here thinking the game has a cool aesthetic and looks great and has a brilliant world and then every combat encounter is just tedious crap that would feel out of date and simplistic 10 years ago.

I dunno, maybe its just not for me but given what platinum have done in the past Nier feels like a massive step backwards. Whatever. I'm not going to change peoples minds and vice versa but the hyperbole on display for this game is bordering on madness.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are you sure you're not accidentally playing the original Nier?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macarius Wrench posted:

I'm not going to change peoples minds and vice versa but the hyperbole on display for this game is bordering on madness.

:irony:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Macarius Wrench posted:

maybe its just not for me
if you were actually expecting bayonetta 3 going in and playing on normal: clearly

though i've played 20-30 hours of bayonetta recently and while its focus is clearly very very different and doing its thing fantastically well that game has its fair share of frustrating, wonky bullshit as well. Cutscene qte instadeaths with tiny windows that permanently lower your chapter/playthrough score? I'll take hours of Automata's shmup sections over that any day.

Hardmode having different enemy encounters would've been a nice thing tho (possibly in Route B, although that might break immersion somewhat)

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 27, 2017

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I was never bothered by the QTEs but man the motorbike section and the space harrier shooting section...jeeeeesus

God Hand still perfect though :cheers:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

You have fully described the deal with the pit.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Macarius Wrench posted:

I dunno, maybe its just not for me but given what platinum have done in the past Nier feels like a massive step backwards. Whatever. I'm not going to change peoples minds and vice versa but the hyperbole on display for this game is bordering on madness.

You mean given Ninja Turtles and Korra...?

It's an action RPG, not a character action game, and Platinum never intended to make it a character action game. I'd suggest taking a break from it and coming back again at some point in the future when you're not expecting Bayonetta 3, because it's not trying to be that. Everyone I've heard who expects Bayonetta 3 comes out disappointed, while everyone who expects "action RPG" is clearly more than satisfied.

Also, just saying, but "out of date and simplistic 10 years ago" is some incredible hyperbole, considering God of War 2 was released literally ten years ago.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Squidtentacle posted:

Also, just saying, but "out of date and simplistic 10 years ago" is some incredible hyperbole, considering God of War 2 was released literally ten years ago.

I feel that's an accurate statement given Niers combat is less engaging or interesting than any of the God of War games.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Macarius Wrench posted:

I feel that's an accurate statement given Niers combat is less engaging or interesting than any of the God of War games.

Well, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I still suggest giving it another shot when your expectations are somewhat more fair to what was intended.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Macarius Wrench posted:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The mechanics in Automata are a blast though. There's a huge amount of variety when you dig into it but I guess the "problem" is that there are no mechanics that incentivise using them. But just because the game lacks a meter that pats you on the back for it doesn't invalidate all the variety you're just not using.

Although even I personally admit the difficulty balancing above is out the whack and there should've been like one more difficulty between Normal and Hard. Then again I feel like the intention is probably for the player to pick Hard on subsequent playthroughs of the game rather than starting a fresh game on it. Any character action game would kick your rear end for going into the Dante Must Die equivalent before doing a run for getting all your moves and upgrades.

Nina fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Automata isn't deep but Automata is gives you a lot of tools to have fun with it. You don't need a large part of your arsenal, but you don't need a reason to need them. Do poo poo because it's cool. That's always been the case in PlatinumGames stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
there's just no reason to use the combo system. With even a mediocre chipset, mashing square wins the game and makes you invincible. The dodge mechanic means that you aren't using it as mobility and instead of being movement or defense, dodging is just more offensive damage.

It's a cool system, but the combat encounters that the game presents don't engage with it in an interesting way.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Snak posted:

there's just no reason to use the combo system. With even a mediocre chipset, mashing square wins the game and makes you invincible. The dodge mechanic means that you aren't using it as mobility and instead of being movement or defense, dodging is just more offensive damage.

It's a cool system, but the combat encounters that the game presents don't engage with it in an interesting way.

You use the combo system to look cool while you have cool music exploding out of your speakers.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

You know what the game needed? The system from the original that made you faster the longer you kept a combo going. That was really dope

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Recharging health by damaging poo poo with the laser makes me feel like a Ghostbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ghostinmyshell posted:

You use the combo system to look cool while you have cool music exploding out of your speakers.

Yeah, the first like, few fights. But every fight outside of boss fights is functionally the same, so it's not very interesting.

And there's no level scaling in chapter select, so when you go back to do earlier quests, there is no challenge or interesting combat at all.

I mean, I really liked the game, and the implementation of the combat system is really slick, but the design of combat encounters in the game is not very good. The shmup sections are also the most vanilla and boring possible shmup sections. "Oh a row of enemies came on the top of the screen" "okay, not a row of enemies on top and bottom of the screen!" "Oh poo poo a circle of enemies!" and that's it. Shmup section over.