Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Maybe not specifically dumb adults. Uninformed adults. He's preaching to people who agree with him but can't articulate why.

edit: v I just meant the target audience for his netflix show.

I saw the episode about healing magnets and poo poo and it was straight out of Penn and Teller's Bullshit except Bill Nye didn't say the word bullshit. He even had a standup comic come on and call out using quasi-asian crap to lend legitimacy to things. Which now that I think of it seems like it couldn't be aimed at kids.

Dude was legit pissed off the whole show, and while I totally get that, there's no audience for that that isn't already agreeing with him. Are there really people out there where they know magnets and crystals are bullshit but don't know why they think that?

Probably. I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are load of people who like or dislike things for purely contextual or emotionally reactionary reasons and can't articulate why they feel that way or why they should. These are types of people who can easily get sucked into bullshit. Like you grow up assuming that healing magnets are a scam (and you also think health insurance is a scam), but then your brother's uncle recovers from cancer while using healing magnets. Now you're a believer.

Like, there are loads of people who have never thought about their opinions ever. They just have them as an inherent personality trait and they think that's fine.

I haven't actually watched Bill Nye's new show, just some interviews and promotional material for it, which is what I was reading the tone from. So maybe I'm way off base.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So what constitutes a non-smug delivery of "global warming is real and we should do something about it"? Because I've never heard the people who criticize this sort of thing say how it ought to be done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maxwell Lord posted:

So what constitutes a non-smug delivery of "global warming is real and we should do something about it"? Because I've never heard the people who criticize this sort of thing say how it ought to be done.

I like this lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbmt_WeNBck

quote:

The problem, according to Dooley, when speaking of her fellow conservatives, is that “they've been brainwashed for decades into believing we're not damaging the environment.” As a result, Dooley speaks with her fellow conservatives about renewable energy in a political language conservatives respect, using phrases like energy freedom, energy choice, and national security.

According to Dooley, when speaking to conservatives in these terms, “you have a receptive audience and they will listen to you. If you lead off with climate change, they're not going to pay a bit of attention to anything else you say.”

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do you unbrainwash someone?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was only talking about the alt medicine one. I didn't see the global warming one, unless this is just a general question in which case I don't know. The effects of climate change are readily observable at this point solely on the level of "god drat that was the hottest summer ever and I can wear sandals in december".

I don't know how you crack through the brainwashing it takes to still believe it's a hoax from china.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No one in any position of power at this point thinks it's a hoax. Not truly deep down.

They are literally playing the "gently caress you I got mine" card and not giving a poo poo over the piles of money they are getting from the fossil fuel industry.

They argue the hoax to convince their supporters so they stay in power. The real problem is that they don't give a poo poo at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Right, in other words, set aside your ego for a few minutes and talk to your audience in their own terms, regardless of how you feel about them. It's essentially diplomacy, which starts with understanding where the other side is coming from regardless of how wrongheaded or dangerous you think they are. Nobody responds well to someone coming at them with the attitude of "you're dumb as dogshit and I'm here to ram real understanding down your ignorant throat".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you unbrainwash someone?

Very slowly and very carefully. It's not easy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

You don't remember the angels or the mascots?

the angels but the mascots? I remember there being A mascot.

IDK the details of this thing really faded for me.

less laughter posted:

This is grossly reductive and inaccurate

Beep boop beep as my calculations prove

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Snak posted:

There are load of people who like or dislike things for purely contextual or emotionally reactionary reasons and can't articulate why they feel that way or why they should. These are types of people who can easily get sucked into bullshit. Like you grow up assuming that healing magnets are a scam (and you also think health insurance is a scam), but then your brother's uncle recovers from cancer while using healing magnets. Now you're a believer.

Like, there are loads of people who have never thought about their opinions ever. They just have them as an inherent personality trait and they think that's fine.

I haven't actually watched Bill Nye's new show, just some interviews and promotional material for it, which is what I was reading the tone from. So maybe I'm way off base.

There are also a lot of people that are easily swayed using technobabble and scientific sounding words. Some even have "evidence" or arguments for their efficacy that on the surface looks and sounds good, but needs a little dissecting to see that they aren't correct.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

I saw the episode about healing magnets and poo poo and it was straight out of Penn and Teller's Bullshit except Bill Nye didn't say the word bullshit. He even had a standup comic come on and call out using quasi-asian crap to lend legitimacy to things. Which now that I think of it seems like it couldn't be aimed at kids.

Dude was legit pissed off the whole show, and while I totally get that, there's no audience for that that isn't already agreeing with him. Are there really people out there where they know magnets and crystals are bullshit but don't know why they think that?

Probably. I guess?

Yeah, Bill Nye being kind of an rear end in a top hat has been an open secret for a long time. Like there was a relatively public incident a decade ago where he giving a presentation on the moon at a school and then out of nowhere was like "By the way, The Bible says that the moon makes light but it's actually just reflecting it from the sun. Check and mate, xians :smug:" and then was baffled when people complained about him hamfistedly crowbarring religion into a lecture on a completely unrelated topic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

Start with the first ep of the second season. The first has alot of eye-rollingly bad decisions (being shot by prostitutes while wearing armor). It's a smoothly dependably well acted drama focusing on a single theme of loss and regret. The writing is pretty good and the actors are great.

Don't do literally any of this and just watch from the first season.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I only remember Bill Nye from clips of his show when I was a kid. I just remember him explaining basic scientific topics and being really goofy while doing it. Has he changed his approach extensively?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Now that he's buddy-buddy with Netflix maybe they can bring back Almost Live, the most Seattle thing ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIOGazSmHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8

-Blackadder- posted:

I only remember Bill Nye from clips of his show when I was a kid. I just remember him explaining basic scientific topics and being really goofy while doing it. Has he changed his approach extensively?

When old Bill Nye wanted to be cool he played golf with Samuel L Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M78-7aqXGOA

Now when Bill Nye wants to be cool he has the lady from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend say cusses and sing about "butt stuff"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

When old Bill Nye wanted to be cool he played golf with Samuel L Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M78-7aqXGOA

Now when Bill Nye wants to be cool he has the lady from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend say cusses and sing about "butt stuff"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8

I was gonna say "both of these things are cool" but then I watched the second video and I can admit when I'm wrong.
I doubt the several thousand dislikes on that video are actually because it's bad though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Handmaids tale is loving intense.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, Bill Nye being kind of an rear end in a top hat has been an open secret for a long time. Like there was a relatively public incident a decade ago where he giving a presentation on the moon at a school and then out of nowhere was like "By the way, The Bible says that the moon makes light but it's actually just reflecting it from the sun. Check and mate, xians :smug:" and then was baffled when people complained about him hamfistedly crowbarring religion into a lecture on a completely unrelated topic.
He and NDT have this big problem in just letting poo poo go, not everything scientific is needed to be use as some slam on Christianity/religion. There are plenty of good scientists who have found ways to allow religion to conform in their lives.

Watching old clips of the show made me realize what the new show lacks: the sound effects, the narrator guy, not joking every two goddamn seconds, and no laugh tracking live studio audience.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Hollismason posted:

It is. poo poo should have been on Shudder.

Is there a thread yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

He and NDT have this big problem in just letting poo poo go, not everything scientific is needed to be use as some slam on Christianity/religion. There are plenty of good scientists who have found ways to allow religion to conform in their lives.

Watching old clips of the show made me realize what the new show lacks: the sound effects, the narrator guy, not joking every two goddamn seconds, and no laugh tracking live studio audience.

I have a few atheist friends and they become loving insufferable every time Nye and NDT do some new thing because we have to hear about how these two smart dudes have proved that God doesn't exist or some poo poo.

We live in a time where Atheists are more annoying than Christians.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There should be. I can't watch more than first one right now that's just brutal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

I have a few atheist friends and they become loving insufferable every time Nye and NDT do some new thing because we have to hear about how these two smart dudes have proved that God doesn't exist or some poo poo.

We live in a time where Atheists are more annoying than Christians.

That's been true for a long time, although they're not nearly as dangerous since they spend all their time making smug quips about spaghetti monsters instead of influencing public policy.

In defense of Nye / NDT, they have probably had to deal with their share of utter bullshit as two people who have made a career out of public speaking about science.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also just kind of like... I imagine once you reach a certain point, you stop giving a poo poo who you're alienating or reaching and are just busy doing what you do. Like, Bill Nye obviously wants to reach some people, but he probably doesn't give a gently caress if he fails at reaching anyone who gets offended by his anti-religious comments.

And I'm not saying that's right, or whatever, but I think it's understandable.

Anti-science sentiment has literally doomed the entire planet, and tens of millions of people will die in my lifetime due to climate change.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

It's also just kind of like... I imagine once you reach a certain point, you stop giving a poo poo who you're alienating or reaching and are just busy doing what you do. Like, Bill Nye obviously wants to reach some people, but he probably doesn't give a gently caress if he fails at reaching anyone who gets offended by his anti-religious comments.

And I'm not saying that's right, or whatever, but I think it's understandable.

Anti-science sentiment has literally doomed the entire planet, and tens of millions of people will die in my lifetime due to climate change.

Science gave us all the technology that lead to us dooming the planet. Check and mate :ocelot::smugdog:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

You know how Neil Degrasse Tyson let it all go to his head and became kind of a bitchy teenager?

Well Bill Nye too.

I see I am not the first to make that comparison.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
*Steps into thread* Whoa. Is this D&D? *Checks thread title* Nope. :yikes:

Shageletic posted:

Start with the first ep of the second season. The first has alot of eye-rollingly bad decisions (being shot by prostitutes while wearing armor). It's a smoothly dependably well acted drama focusing on a single theme of loss and regret. The writing is pretty good and the actors are great.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Don't do literally any of this and just watch from the first season.

Agreed with Lick. Also I have never seen anyone label that spoilered part a "bad decision." Everything about Shag's post seems wrong except for "the actors are great."

Also I like how IRQ never felt like explaining why The Leftover's premise was "insultingly stupid."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also I have never seen anyone label that spoilered part a "bad decision."

To be fair it's the (lazy and boring) way people who don't like The Leftovers criticize it as "bad", to the point where it's basically a meme of how "bad" the show is/was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first few episodes weren't very compelling. Liz Tyler isn't good and lots of the side characters like the twins are annoying as hell. It builds up to one of the best seasons of TV ever (season 2).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

raditts posted:

In defense of Nye / NDT, they have probably had to deal with their share of utter bullshit as two people who have made a career out of public speaking about science.

And, while they might be a bit jerkish sometimes, they haven't broken from the strain like Dawkins did.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Hollismason posted:

Its soooo good.

Speaking of Hulu related things, are any of their other originals any good? I haven't subbed it before today and I want to get what I can until Handmaid's Tale ends and I cancel it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

*Steps into thread* Whoa. Is this D&D? *Checks thread title* Nope. :yikes:
I had been reading a ton of D&D this afternoon and then popped in here and got super confused as to what the hell thread I was in for awhile. Like, I think Nye was a topic in at least 2 or 3 of the threads I was reading and i was positive that Tea Party video was D&D. It had me briefly spinning and forced me to turn off the news and step away to watch some fun, dumb CW shows.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Is the SynIRC TV/IV channel still around? Tried a bunch of different names that didn't work and it doesn't seem to be listed.

Edit: vvv Ah. That's a shame. Still seemed fairly active last year at one point. Thanks.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 27, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Is the SynIRC TV/IV channel still around? Tried a bunch of different names that didn't work and it doesn't seem to be listed.

I was informed it was dead which is why I removed it. Everyone there said they moved to the Discord in the OP.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hollismason posted:

For real. I watched the first three episodes in one sitting and it felt like they flew by. I read the book years and years ago and really enjoyed it as an exemplum of hostility towards women but I'll be goddamned if this subject matter isn't both necessary and even more chilling today than it was when I read it nearly 15 years back.

I also had no idea Yvonne Strahovski could do some actual acting. That was real cool and nice to see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean they're talking about the TV host in the TV thread? Whoa man.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Militant atheism can be annoying but given they're 100% correct I can't complain too much.

So excited to watch the first 3 Handmaid's Tale eps!!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Its soooo good.

Speaking of Hulu related things, are any of their other originals any good? I haven't subbed it before today and I want to get what I can until Handmaid's Tale ends and I cancel it.

Yes.

Chance, starring Hugh Laurie, is a really great slow-burn modern noir. I really liked it, but its pacing might nor be for everyone.

Shut Eye, with Jeffrey Donovan, Angus Sampson, and David Zayas, is a serialized drama about a con artist working as a fortune teller for a Romani crime family. It's pretty solid, but its depiction of Gypsies may be problematic. Angus Sampson is really great as the Gyspsy crime boss, though.

Of the two, I think Chance is the better show, but it's slower. Shut Eye is more accessible. Both shows run a lean 10 episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are there still commercials? That always kept me from using it. That and Hulu being the studios' response to PROTECT IP failing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Are there still commercials? That always kept me from using it. That and Hulu being the studios' response to PROTECT IP failing.

It's 3-4 additional dollars per month for no commercials. So I pay like 12 dollars a month for all their stuff with no commercials. Whether that's a good deal for you probably depends on your other sources of media. I don't have cable, so Hulu is basically the only place I see shows the day after they air. That makes it my primary "currently airing" show watching solution.

edit: v I've never even heard of those. So, maybe?

Snak fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's the deal with go90 and seeso. Like who the hell subscribes to those? They seem to be targeted at teens?

• Locked thread