Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

SaffronOlive had a 78.5% game winning percentage with Gideon Tribal in Modern. Because lots of decks can never beat the Emblem.

:allears:

Is he actually in competitive queues or is he still doing the random lobby games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm planning on running new Gideon as a 1-of in BW tokens in Modern. Gideons for days with the muscle to keep them around.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Is he actually in competitive queues or is he still doing the random lobby games?

Hell only does random queues

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

He normally does leagues on his streams.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

It was in a random lobby but it did match up against a few strong decks. It's not like people don't play good decks in the non-competitive rooms.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
When you say "lobby games," his recorded non-League matches are always in the 2-player queue so at least he has a stake, even if it's $2/20PP. That's why the videos for Much Abrew or whatever always end in the window with 30 or 5 PPs showing.

He's not just in the Tournament Practice room, and I also think he does it to make it easier to cut duplicate match-ups out so you don't just get Leagues where he faces 2 Dredge 2 Burn and Affinity.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have no idea why they didn't do it two days ago but good job wizards

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

gideon deserves to rule all formats

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Aaron Forsythe in an offical loving release posted:

Couple this with consensus among a wide sampling of pros and feedback (and pizza) from our community and we decided to take action.

That is the money shot right there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ZeroCount posted:

It was in a random lobby but it did match up against a few strong decks. It's not like people don't play good decks in the non-competitive rooms.

They are competitive and cost money to enter. It's just not the league with the highest payout.

Boco_T posted:

When you say "lobby games," his recorded non-League matches are always in the 2-player queue so at least he has a stake, even if it's $2/20PP. That's why the videos for Much Abrew or whatever always end in the window with 30 or 5 PPs showing.

He's not just in the Tournament Practice room, and I also think he does it to make it easier to cut duplicate match-ups out so you don't just get Leagues where he faces 2 Dredge 2 Burn and Affinity.

He does it that way because when people ask not to be in the video series he won't put them in the videos.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 27, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Went 4-0 at the weekly modern tourney at the LGS with grixis death's delver. Got lucky in my matchups: beat jund death's shadow, abzan company, naya bushwhacker, and elves in the finals. Got $40 in credit.

Since adding the death's shadows I've gone 3-1, 3-1, 2-2, 4-0, and top 8 at a GPT. Mostly more casual events but at one of the spikier stores in town with players usually playing real decks. Ignoring my twin (rip) break, it's the best delver deck I've played since treasure cruise (rip) was legal.

Also lol wizards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

That is the money shot right there.

Send them a seven course dinner for 12 with "remove the reserve list spelled out in spaghetti" spelled out in spaghetti.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cactrot posted:

Send them a seven course dinner for 12 with "remove the reserve list spelled out in spaghetti" spelled out in spaghetti.

gently caress the pasta; I'll send them a cake instead.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Some dude is on the magic milwaukee facebook page right now complaining that WotC banned another one of his decks and when he got replies saying "everyone and their dog expected this ban to happen" he responded that saying that is "victim blaming" :lol:

He for real compared it to being raped and then said that I was the cancer that was driving him from the community.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Retromancer posted:

He for real compared it to being raped and then said that I was the cancer that was driving him from the community.

And nothing of value was lost.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So we have a format again! I'm excited to see what come out of it.

I see copycat decks and pieces on FB selling groups from people "selling out of standard". Tempted to post "you will not be missed".

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

CompeAnansi posted:

Take a look here: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=sets&source=tcg_low

This shows you the expected value of a booster box from each set based on tcg low. That should help your decision.

Lol why the gently caress is MSRP $90

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So hey how long should I sit on my Glorybringer and Rhonas before flipping them for store credit?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I definitely chucked at "Fallen Empires - $0"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Jabor posted:

I definitely chucked at "Fallen Empires - $0"

So Fallen Empires was the new expansion when I started...

It's amazing I lasted until I did in the hobby.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Why is Prophecy nearly $50? I thought there was nothing of value in that set and a terrible limited format to boot though that's obviously not relevant in dawnglare lists.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Political Puppets is $122?? Slightly tempted to part mine out. I played a few games with it but otherwise mine's been sitting in its original packaging since I bought it at launch. One of the upsides of being a super-casual player.

Speaking of super-casual, I had a lot of fun at the Amonkhet pre-release last weekend. Managed to pull 2x Rhonas the Indomitable & 1x Harsh Mentor which was great. What's the feel of Rhonas going up further in value? I'm planning on selling my two copies as they're not something I'd ever use, and I'm surprised he's $15 at the moment so I don't want to miss out on a good price.... or find someone to swap for Nissa and Liliana.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Why is Prophecy nearly $50? I thought there was nothing of value in that set and a terrible limited format to boot though that's obviously not relevant in dawnglare lists.

Rhystic Study is a $9 chase common (http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/prophecy/rhystic-study)

Also Spore Frog is a $2 chase common as well apparently??? I think I still have one or two in my box of old random commons.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I know of at least three people that were waiting for the announcement before picking up the deck for the next stretch between ban announcements. It's super lovely that they establish a system that lets players feel safe in their deck purchase for "x" amount of time, but then just do an "addendum" and gently caress people over. They probably should announce a watch list with the ban list to give everyone full disclosure. Essentially saying... "your cards are not banned, yet."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That actually sounds kind of fair, I mean it does suck anyone who bought in and then 2 days later it got banned (not excusing the gently caress mentioned above who used Victim Blaming for it)

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Siivola posted:

So hey how long should I sit on my Glorybringer and Rhonas before flipping them for store credit?

At least wait until Monday, those cards should get camera time hype on Saturday and Sunday. If you can wait longer go until PT and hope they get into a good deck.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I mean, I stand by what I said. I don't even play bloody Standard but it's pretty clear WotC haven't got a clue.

mcmagic posted:

That douche will keep buying packs like they always do.

My collection is currently at my LGS being sold - I'd decided to get out a week or two ago, then my Legacy deck got banned :v:

Buying packs seems pretty unlikely

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mfcrocker posted:

then my Legacy deck got banned :v:

TBH the Top ban is the best choice they've made since the last time they banned Top.

Are card games a zero-sum game where your fun must come exclusively from draining others of their fun?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

TBH the Top ban is the best choice they've made since the last time they banned Top.

Are card games a zero-sum game where your fun must come exclusively from draining others of their fun?

I usually play absolute nonsense combo decks - I've played Madcap Experiment in Modern! In retrospect I'm not quite sure why I targeted Miracles to play in Legacy but I did have fun with it :3:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mfcrocker posted:

I mean, I stand by what I said. I don't even play bloody Standard but it's pretty clear WotC haven't got a clue.

My collection is currently at my LGS being sold - I'd decided to get out a week or two ago, then my Legacy deck got banned :v:

Buying packs seems pretty unlikely

:qq:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vital Signs posted:

They probably should announce a watch list with the ban list to give everyone full disclosure. Essentially saying... "your cards are not banned, yet."

They pretty much said that but the assumption was that the next assessment would be in 5 weeks not 1 day.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

They pretty much said that but the assumption was that the next assessment would be in 5 weeks not 1 day.
I guess I should clarify. I believe they should have a new system where they can ban at anytime, but it has to be something from the watch list. The watch list is updated in a similar time frame to what the ban list is now.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I think it's A-OK to be mad at wotc for the way they did this. I mean, seriously "We're not going to ban anything" two days later "Just kidding guys there haven't been enough preorders so we're banning now."

I just would like to know the real reason. There's no way they banned on the back of a couple dozen mtgo queues. There's even a couple of new decks that showed up.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

wotc are such an amateur hour outfit. I mean I love magic and dnd but it's like they go out of their way to look as stupid as physically possible at every available opportunity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wurzag posted:

wotc are such an amateur hour outfit. I mean I love magic and dnd but it's like they go out of their way to look as stupid as physically possible at every available opportunity.

For better or worse WOTC is a business run by game designers, not businesspeople. And it's definitely shown at times.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think it's extremely obvious that what happened is that SCG/CFB/whoever else called and told them that they need to fix Standard because attendance is falling faster than it did during CawCaw standard. Then WotC looked at the public outcry, shrugged, and decided to ban it. Not banning it at first was pretty dumb, but not banning it until five weeks from now would have been extremely dumb. This new standard cannot be as bad as what we just had or competitive Magic could take a hit that it won't recover from for years. As it stands, it might not recover from the last couple seasons being so loving awful. I can't recall people ever being this pessimistic about Standard being a fun format. People might say a current format is poo poo, but normally people still think a new format might be fun and exciting. Nobody was excited for this format. Not even the prospect of a Cycling control deck made people excited for this format. So WotC did what they had to do in order to hopefully get people interested in playing Standard. I think this is the least bad thing they could have done after not banning on Monday (even if Saheeli was the better ban).

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can someone with the shared premium account post the UG Crush decklist. This was a fun deck to play a few sets ago and I want to see what they were able to do with card updates

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/34976_Todd-VS-Majors-UG-Crush-VS-Saheeli-Reanimator.html

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can someone with the shared premium account post the UG Crush decklist. This was a fun deck to play a few sets ago and I want to see what they were able to do with card updates

Here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
See...poo poo like this is why the Reserved List just makes no sense to me. No, nevermind how stupid it is, or how it may or may not be killing legacy and vintage and whatever. Nevermind all of that.

At it's core, the Reserved List is Wizards telling "We are making a promise and we're going to uphold it. You can trust our word."...and then they proceed to do one thing after the other to show that their word is not, in fact, worth poo poo. Honestly, if I was someone who was for the reserved list, I'd be kind of angry at this point, since it's obvious these jokers just say stuff for the hell of it, then are more than happy to contradict themselves.

I guess the good thing to come out of this, is that it will stop people from bitching about Standard for at least a short while.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jenx posted:

I guess the good thing to come out of this, is that it will stop people from bitching about Standard for at least a short while.

Hopefully, we'll see how it shakes out. It surely can't be any worse?

(watch as it gets worse somehow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This is the first emergency ban WotC has done since Memory Jar which was more than a decade ago. WotC's word is still worth a lot. The people whining about this are the same people who whine about literally everything because WotC isn't a magical company that can see the future.