Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Like most things in this game (re:hands); clearly this thread needs some DLC to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well one is pretty much confirmed at this point but I am a bit confused it has taken this long for any info on it. But I guess it is because we were inundated with it leading up to 2 and 3.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am really loving confused, because I could have sworn that they said that your companions have more dialogue than ever and that they made a point to have more meaningful relationships, but as far as I can tell it is like exactly the same amount as an every other boy we're game, which is actually not really all that much. Also, since this game is so bloated with bullshit, it feels like I have a conversation about ham sandwiches with my friends approximately every 14 years

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah it doesn't feel like they do, but maybe if they're including all the times companions react generically to open world quests like, "so, we'll find the drive core over there?" as dialogue lines.

It also could be tonnes of dialogue and it just feels like less because yeah, it's so stretched thin. But it definitely feels like it compares very poorly with Inquisition for companion dialogue per time played.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

evilmiera posted:

Well one is pretty much confirmed at this point but I am a bit confused it has taken this long for any info on it. But I guess it is because we were inundated with it leading up to 2 and 3.

Might also be a marketing thing. ME:A didn't revitalize or repair the brand as some may have hoped, especially after the early access tag by Gies and others got legs.

Another thought - after playing the demo (which is fun), I wouldn't have guessed the Pods from Nier: Automata - an AI companion, but without a formal and visible introduction, or even a human-sounding name - would end up as more powerful and sensible storytelling devices than SAM, but here we are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Yeah it doesn't feel like they do, but maybe if they're including all the times companions react generically to open world quests like, "so, we'll find the drive core over there?" as dialogue lines.

It also could be tonnes of dialogue and it just feels like less because yeah, it's so stretched thin. But it definitely feels like it compares very poorly with Inquisition for companion dialogue per time played.

I know that there are a bunch of conversations that play when you are driving around, but if anything those don't seem all that well connected to the characters overall. It kind of feels like they had different writers, maybe interns or some poo poo, doing those.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pick posted:

I am really loving confused, because I could have sworn that they said that your companions have more dialogue than ever and that they made a point to have more meaningful relationships, but as far as I can tell it is like exactly the same amount as an every other boy we're game, which is actually not really all that much. Also, since this game is so bloated with bullshit, it feels like I have a conversation about ham sandwiches with my friends approximately every 14 years

Ryder: Hey, it looks like I found a thing.
Peebee: That sure is a thing you found.
Drack: Hoo boy is that ever a thing.
SAM: RYDER, YOUR THINGS ARE INCREASING.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pick posted:

I know that there are a bunch of conversations that play when you are driving around, but if anything those don't seem all that well connected to the characters overall. It kind of feels like they had different writers, maybe interns or some poo poo, doing those.

That seems crazy because imo those are some of the best writing the companions get, and often they're significantly more interesting or emotionally resonant than their ship conversations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, Drack is a pretty indistinct and flat character ("tough old krogan guy") until you hear his banters where he emotionally bonds with the other characters and provides support for them. That plus his mission and incidental dialogue make him one of the best-written companions, but if you just had his ship conversations to go off, he wouldn't be very deep or memorable.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Same with Vetra.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Same with Vetra.
Even more so with Vetra. Drack at least has a bunch of war stories when talk with him on the ship.

DancingShade posted:

Ultra realistic tit physics would be a waste of time, agreed. But that's why you use good camera angles to work around it.
Peebee and fRyder's sex scene is the absolute worst example in the game when it comes to not in any way using the camera to hide the concrete titties.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Good companions: Vetra, Drack, Jaal.

Bad companions: Cora, Liam.

??? companions because I didn't do whatever is apparently required to get more of her dialogue past her intro scene to trigger in 70 hours of gameplay: Peebee

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MoaM posted:

Like most things in this game (re:hands); clearly this thread needs some DLC to talk about.

With Inquisition's DLC they announced it and released it within a day of one another. I'm going to assume they're doing that here too.
Who knows why.

My movie quest broke too so I never got to see it. I did Jaal's one and then nothing else happened, I probably didn't pester an NPC enough but I hated trying to find my crewmates on the ship with the dogshit map the game has.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cora and Drack were the only companions I liked.

Suvi and Lexi were good crewmembers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Android Blues posted:

Good companions: Vetra, Drack, Jaal.

Bad companions: Cora, Liam.

??? companions because I didn't do whatever is apparently required to get more of her dialogue past her intro scene to trigger in 70 hours of gameplay: Peebee

Sorry your game bugged out but PeeBee is in that first category. Also 70 hours without finishing? :staredog:

Anyway if we learned anything it's that human companions bad/boring (neo nazi girl and ex cop man who would fit perfectly into a non sci fi game) and that party member conversations have gone backwards from dragon age inquisition, which also went backwards from dragon age origins.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Cora and Drack were the only companions I liked.

Suvi and Lexi were good crewmembers.

Suvi ran out of stuff to say to me really really early. Which is probably a bug, of course.

quote:

Anyway if we learned anything it's that human companions bad/boring (neo nazi girl and ex cop man who would fit perfectly into a non sci fi game) and that party member conversations have gone backwards from dragon age inquisition, which also went backwards from dragon age origins.
Having to voice and act everything is why it's gone backwards from Origins. I don't think that'll ever change because people care more about voicing than lots of dialogue lines. Or at least people at EA do.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 27, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Sorry your game bugged out but PeeBee is in that first category. Also 70 hours without finishing? :staredog:

I played like 60 hours up to the ending then some more doing side content afterwards.

Peebee seems cool but I think you have to do her "find 9 items" quest to unlock like literally any more dialogue with her so...some day, I guess. Like, is she meant to have dialogue scenes that trigger before you do that?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Android Blues posted:

I played like 60 hours up to the ending then some more doing side content afterwards.

Peebee seems cool but I think you have to do her "find 9 items" quest to unlock like literally any more dialogue with her so...some day, I guess. Like, is she meant to have dialogue scenes that trigger before you do that?

You definitely don't need to do that find 9 items bullshit. It's not her personal quest and I never finished it. In fact I don't think I even started it on my first playthrough?

I'm pretty sure her personal quest line is tied to main plot progression. Once you do the hunt for the fluffy cuddly archon then I think she asks you to do a thing and it sort of goes from there. Then it'll be pretty clear what you need to do because it'll be under the allies quest category.

Honestly I don't think you could miss her quest if you tried so my only explanation is you hit a bug. There IS a bug in Havarl when you go underground to that dungeon area in the North. If you go left instead of right to PeeBee's quest location it can quietly bug out and not progress, then you're well hosed. Yes really.
Pretty sure they haven't patched it yet either.

So for that specific location despite it being donut shaped always go right from the entrance.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The acquire item quests with no markers are barely worth completion %. So don't sweet it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Gamefaqs says the only combos were

I'm guessing that your thinking of ME3 or the updated version of ME2 has the ME3 combo system. I don't know because I played the released ME2 with ME3 features on the ps3. It might of just been graphics but it doesn't sound like ME2 had fire or frost combos.

Yea the ps3 me2 was just a graphics update.

concussive shots work as basically shot+throw, if used against an already weightless opponent, made through a biotic lift power. I could have sworn ME2 let me freeze people and then break them apart, but I'll grant that I may be conflating that with ME3, or the freeze bullets just shattered people regularly..

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taear posted:

Suvi ran out of stuff to say to me really really early. Which is probably a bug, of course.

No, she just has really little dialogue. Maybe there's more if you romance her but I was sad at how little she had to say over the course of the game.

DancingShade posted:

...you're saying Cora is a Neonazi? Or am I missing something and you mean someone else?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah the only codified power combos in ME2 were the biotic detonations on a few very limited powers. I think if you kill an enemy who's currently frozen they shatter? I don't remember, but it's purely cosmetic if so.

Using a power that applies force on a ragdolled opponent knocks them around more, but it doesn't do anything "extra". The biotic explosions were unique in that combining the two powers caused a new, third thing that wasn't part of either of them to happen.

Also really cool on Insanity. It was a bummer though because the only squadmates who were reliable for triggering them were Thane and Miranda, so you had to get used to bringing them along a lot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

No, she just has really little dialogue. Maybe there's more if you romance her but I was sad at how little she had to say over the course of the game.

I was trying to romance her, it just never happened!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

...you're saying Cora is a Neonazi? Or am I missing something and you mean someone else?

It was a joke about her haircut. (think Romper Stomper)

^ I watched all the Suvi romance stuff on YouTube and there is really bugger all of it. You didn't miss anything because there isn't much there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from a page or so back but the only explicit "combo" in mass effect 2 was hitting something that was under the effects of pull or singularity with warp to cause a detonation. throw and charge would certainly send things flying a lot farther had they been lifted beforehand and certain ammo types would cause more damage to things under certain effects, but causing a detonation was something exclusive to warp. it wasn't until me3 that they really dug into making it a widespread mechanic

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
this is kinda cool?

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/67r2j8/no_spoilers_anyone_else_notice_that_two_notes_the/

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pick posted:

I am really loving confused, because I could have sworn that they said that your companions have more dialogue than ever and that they made a point to have more meaningful relationships, but as far as I can tell it is like exactly the same amount as an every other boy we're game, which is actually not really all that much.

Pathfinder, please put on a sweater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20nTp5NO2Sk

Pathfinder, don't forget your sunscreen.

Groetgaffel posted:

Even more so with Vetra. Drack at least has a bunch of war stories when talk with him on the ship.

Also, the dialogue options are usually supposed to light up again when there's new stuff to talk about, but they don't in Andromeda, so you can miss stuff because there's no indication you should talk to people about old topics again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DancingShade posted:

use good camera angles

drat this is advanced poo poo Bioware Cincinnati is gonna be head hunting you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Pathfinder, please put on a sweater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20nTp5NO2Sk

Pathfinder, don't forget your sunscreen.

Also, the dialogue options are usually supposed to light up again when there's new stuff to talk about, but they don't in Andromeda, so you can miss stuff because there's no indication you should talk to people about old topics again.

Never used Liam and PeeBee together much. Holy poo poo they are toxic.

Nexus HR should be all over that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

from a page or so back but the only explicit "combo" in mass effect 2 was hitting something that was under the effects of pull or singularity with warp to cause a detonation. throw and charge would certainly send things flying a lot farther had they been lifted beforehand and certain ammo types would cause more damage to things under certain effects, but causing a detonation was something exclusive to warp. it wasn't until me3 that they really dug into making it a widespread mechanic
Yes. It was just called a warp explosion back then.

That's why biotic combos always seemed more developed than tech ones in ME3, it's where the whole idea originated.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Never used Liam and PeeBee together much. Holy poo poo they are toxic.

Nexus HR should be all over that.

Liam is like that with a bunch of people. Liam is an rear end in a top hat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Liam generally doesn't get to leave the ship.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Liam generally doesn't get to leave the ship.

:same: I mean he can't even stay clothed on the ship, why would I want to take someone like that with me?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah Liam is a complete dick to Vetra and Drack can't stand him. No idea what he's like with Cora or Jaal, although he does seem to be buddies with Jaal based on other stuff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's professional with Cora and he likes Jaal, but Jaal likes everybody so that's not saying much.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

^ I watched all the Suvi romance stuff on YouTube and there is really bugger all of it. You didn't miss anything because there isn't much there.

I must be the only person playing this as 'workplace harrassment demonstration simulator' and trying to keep everything professional with my workmates. So far I've managed to fend off the attentions of everything with a pulse.

I'm obviously playing it wrong, but drat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

gently caress. This is cool.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah Liam is a complete dick to Vetra and Drack can't stand him. No idea what he's like with Cora or Jaal, although he does seem to be buddies with Jaal based on other stuff.

Can't speak about Vetra but Drack grudgingly warms up to Liam a bit. He gets into philosophical debates of right/wrong vs lawful/unlawful with Cora.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

isk posted:

gently caress. This is cool.

If ME:A were a better game it'd be much cooler -- as it is it's an example of the amount of thought that should have been put into the rest of it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

If ME:A were a better game it'd be much cooler -- as it is it's an example of the amount of thought that should have been put into the rest of it.

Agreed. Citadel was the love letter/apology, and if ME:A had picked that up and repaired the brand image, it'd be wonderful. Especially if the marketing material subtly keyed in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I also like how the subplot regarding your fathers locked memories just fizzles out after the final unlocked memory. It was genuinely an interesting moment of dramatic irony ruined by their amateur writing and design.