Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

BritishRacingGreen posted:

ATTN PBC SMOKERS:

I will be attempting to HANG smoke some whole fish soon. Obviously using the hooks supplied with the smoker will not work, since the weight of the fish will eventually pull the jaw apart and drop the fish, so I'm planning on buying a couple of those grilling baskets for fish, and hanging those from the hooks.
Any thoughts/input before I invest in those baskets? Is there a simpler option I haven't thought of yet?

Here is the result of hanging the fish on one of the supplied hooks; a charcoal covered, jaw-ripped fish :'(

Tie two fish together, like this guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UHk1w-Tu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

I'm looking to get a smoker and I'm not sure what to get because everybody on the internet has different opinions. I'd like something with temperature control so I can be lazy, basically. :v: I've read about electric, gas, charcoal and still not sure what to go with. I already have an outdoor grill so I'm kind of looking for something smaller and separate just for things like pulled pork, brisket, ribs and maybe chicken.

Anybody have any recommendations?

If you want to be lazy, get a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Get the 40. Your BBQ will be 95% as good as any of the charcoal options, but with the laziest possible execution. I have put briskets on the MES before going to work, coming home, pulling the brisket off to rest, then eating it for dinner.

I love and use my WSM too, but only when I am looking forward to spending a good chunk of the day outside.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

how does the PBC compare to the WSM

PBC Owner: The PBC is WAY better because of the direct drips onto the coals for more flavor.

WSM Owner: The WSM is WAY better because easier temp control, better aftermarket options, etc...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cooker doesn't matter. Your knowledge of your specific one does. Each individual cooker is different.

Also I just reread Franklin's BBQ book and I really like how it's organized for beginners and veterans alike.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

I'm looking to get a smoker and I'm not sure what to get because everybody on the internet has different opinions. I'd like something with temperature control so I can be lazy, basically. :v: I've read about electric, gas, charcoal and still not sure what to go with. I already have an outdoor grill so I'm kind of looking for something smaller and separate just for things like pulled pork, brisket, ribs and maybe chicken.

I'm a fan of electric pellet smokers like the Green Mountain Grill or Traeger. Make sure there's pellets in the hopper and go do something else all day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I drive a BBW posted:

I'm a fan of electric pellet smokers like the Green Mountain Grill or Traeger. Make sure there's pellets in the hopper and go do something else all day.

blk! I was hoping you'd post since you talked about this poo poo all the time on mumble.

I've been looking at the GMG, that sounds pretty awesome. Do you have to do many mods to get it to be pretty much hassle free? I'm fine buying a thermometer but is there anything else needed or are they pretty good to go out of the box?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone got a slicer they would like to recommend? Cutting rare hot beef is a chore with a chefs knife.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you have a good knife that you keep sharp? I've never had a problem with it, and I slice pretty thin when making sandwich meat.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

blk! I was hoping you'd post since you talked about this poo poo all the time on mumble.

I've been looking at the GMG, that sounds pretty awesome. Do you have to do many mods to get it to be pretty much hassle free? I'm fine buying a thermometer but is there anything else needed or are they pretty good to go out of the box?

I have the GMG Daniel Boone wifi model. I haven't done any mods. The only extra thing I do is I bought one of those pellets tubes to get a little additional smoke flavor. I have the 6" tube for when I'm doing burgers or chicken breasts, then the big one for long smokes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
A reasonably decent knife and a good quality whetstone (possibly two, since the double-sided ones tend to be more along discount-quality) are good investments everyone should make.

I've found that every extra buck you invest in a good whetstone gets your more bang than one invested in knives.

Okay, that sounds kinda wrong, I'm not saying that an expensive, high-quality knife isn't a good investment, but the threshold for diminishing returns is much lower in knives than it is in whetstones for someone that isn't an expert.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The sharpest knife I have right now is a ceramic but I have a rather dull tojiro dp that I've been putting off sharpening. I'll go read the knife thread op, thanks guys. I will return as a master of the blade.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

Anyone got a slicer they would like to recommend? Cutting rare hot beef is a chore with a chefs knife.

I have a krups electric slicer. Stay the hell away from it, it sucks for multiple reasons.

I can however recommend my fibrox slicer. This looks like the same one, though I think it was a lot cheaper when I got it. Just have to steel it before every use.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/VICT...fQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

SHOAH NUFF posted:

how does the PBC compare to the WSM

I haven't used a WSM but I chose a PBC over it and am very happy with my choice. Depends what you want.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Larrymer posted:

Frankly, they're essentially all capable of making great BBQ. Going from easiest to hardest to manage I'd say Digital Electric (Masterbuilt), Pellet (Traeger, etc.), Propane, Big Green Egg/Kamado, PBC/Weber Smokey Mountain, offset smoker. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Doom Rooster pretty much nailed it. If you want a lazy/easy start, get an MES40. No need to keep charcoal around and super easy to set and forget.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I've found the PBC to be very low effort. I haven't had to do much beyond checking temps after I've gotten the meat on during the half dozen or so cooks I've done since I got it a month ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My big green egg is more difficult than my wsm, honestly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have the 30 inch electric masterbuilt and it's super easy to set and forget the only work you need to do to it is clean it, and I usually toss chips in every hour or two so for the first little while of the smoke, don't know if you can get a Hopper for it that will auto feed.

I do still recommend a good thermometer, the thermostat does tend to be inaccurate, so once you figure out if yours runs hot or cold and how much you'll be able to set it and be done with it.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
My problem with the Masterbuilt smokers was they only went up to like 275*. The GMG goes up to 500 and I think the Traeger is similar.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I drive a BBW posted:

My problem with the Masterbuilt smokers was they only went up to like 275*. The GMG goes up to 500 and I think the Traeger is similar.

This is the SLOW smoking thread, you don't need more than 275. :)

But yeah that is my biggest complaint too for the few times I want chicken with crispy skin but then I also have a grill that can get hotter or an oven inside if needed. I did a couple turkeys around turkey day last year that came out great but had to be finished in the oven to crisp the skin.

Now if I can be not lazy and actually build my outdoor pizza oven this year I won't even have to bring it inside!

tater_salad posted:

don't know if you can get a Hopper for it that will auto feed.

I don't think there is a hopper but get yourself an AMNPS. I haven't bothered yet as I am ok adding chips every few hours but will pick one up next time they go on sale.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 27, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I drive a BBW posted:

Traegers only go up to 400. Don't know about GMGs, but if they go up to 500 then I might have to look into getting one of those instead of a Traeger.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Frankly, they're essentially all capable of making great BBQ. Going from easiest to hardest to manage I'd say Digital Electric (Masterbuilt), Pellet (Traeger, etc.), Propane, Big Green Egg/Kamado, PBC/Weber Smokey Mountain, offset smoker. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Doom Rooster pretty much nailed it. If you want a lazy/easy start, get an MES40. No need to keep charcoal around and super easy to set and forget.

Thanks all for the advice folks. There's so much conflicting info and differing opinions so it was hard to decide. I ended up going with a propane gas smoker. I already have a propane grill so I didn't want/need a huge monster all in one sort of thing, something smaller and simple. It's not as set and forget as I was initially hoping for but I think it will give me good results I'll be happy with and still pretty minimal fuss.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Traegers only go up to 400. Don't know about GMGs, but if they go up to 500 then I might have to look into getting one of those instead of a Traeger.

I just checked and apparently GMGs DO go up to 500, as do Pit Bosses and presumably several other brands. Unfortunately, Pit Boss looks to be the biggest of those brands, and their grills come with flame broilers which would make them not apartment-safe.

I wish I could just get a charcoal grill. Amazon has killer deals on Char-Griller Akorn kamados. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Trastion posted:

This is the SLOW smoking thread, you don't need more than 275. :)

Usually, yeah, but there should be some headroom. Franklin finds his pits go to 285 sometimes and that's just fine by him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://imgur.com/fZq51yK

I made smoked carnitas over the weekend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gorman Thomas posted:

Late to answer. You mean an automatic slicer?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you are basically looking at a Chef's Choice slicer vs. the 200 lb. Hobart at your deli of choice.

As for the Chef's Choice, hell they upgraded the thing versus mine that I got a few years ago.

Just make sure you get the meat blade. For some oddball reason the model I got was shipped with a bread blade.

And mine looks like a toy compared to the ones listed, yet was able to slice up 10 lbs of bacon without too much hassle. It will shave ham in case you are curious on how fine it will cut.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Larrymer posted:

Thanks all for the advice folks. There's so much conflicting info and differing opinions so it was hard to decide. I ended up going with a propane gas smoker. I already have a propane grill so I didn't want/need a huge monster all in one sort of thing, something smaller and simple. It's not as set and forget as I was initially hoping for but I think it will give me good results I'll be happy with and still pretty minimal fuss.

Like every hobby there is conflicting opinions. But at the end of the day we can all agree and rally on one thing...smoke some meat and enjoy. However you get there is up to you.

There will never be some perfect formula. There will be disappointments. That's the joy out of it all, don't stress about it.

And the best part, say you have a complete disaster, you have plenty of things to blame it on. And in reality, a lot of times the blame is legit. Sometimes you really do get a tough pig.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have an 18.5 brisket I need to trim. Assuming I will trim 2lbs off of it... Going to start it at midnight and Hope it's done around 4p

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Dont forget to add an hour or two to let it rest. I think 16 hours might be cutting it close if you have a hardstop dinner to serve at 4.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Breaking out my MES40 for the first time this year, I picked up a rack of baby back ribs and a 3lb tri tip roast -- though it's actually not a tri tip, the butcher didn't have any, but he cut me a piece of what he called the "East Coast Tri Tip", which he said comes off the other side of the rump or some poo poo? I don't know, but he does know his poo poo from my experience. First time doing either of these.

Anyway, does the 3-2-1 method work fine with the smaller baby back ribs?

And for the tri tip, do I need to prep it any way aside from doing a rub, like I see some people searing them before or after, is that necessary? Also, any idea how long this thing would take to medium rare?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Breaking out my MES40 for the first time this year, I picked up a rack of baby back ribs and a 3lb tri tip roast -- though it's actually not a tri tip, the butcher didn't have any, but he cut me a piece of what he called the "East Coast Tri Tip", which he said comes off the other side of the rump or some poo poo? I don't know, but he does know his poo poo from my experience. First time doing either of these.

And for the tri tip, do I need to prep it any way aside from doing a rub, like I see some people searing them before or after, is that necessary? Also, any idea how long this thing would take to medium rare?

Personally, I wouldn't bother wrapping the ribs but that's just me.

Did my first tri tips last weekend, they didn't take long at all to hit temp. Maybe 25 minutes? We seared them afterward and they were to die for. Amazing steak!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Time is never a good unit of measurement for meat. Temp is so much better. Smoke to 130 internal, quick sear, 10 minute rest should net medium rare perfection.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

El Jebus posted:

Time is never a good unit of measurement for meat. Temp is so much better. Smoke to 130 internal, quick sear, 10 minute rest should net medium rare perfection.

Yea time wise I'm more wondering for when to start them so the ribs end up done at the same time. Guessing the ribs will be 5-6 hours

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Yea time wise I'm more wondering for when to start them so the ribs end up done at the same time. Guessing the ribs will be 5-6 hours

Ah, gotcha. I wouldn't put the steak on very early. Maybe 45 minute before the ribs are done? Or less. They don't take long.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

atothesquiz posted:

Dont forget to add an hour or two to let it rest. I think 16 hours might be cutting it close if you have a hardstop dinner to serve at 4.

sorry I meant done at 4p to allow rest for a ~6p cut time

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Half the screen on my Maverick thermometer died today. Anyone use the Thermoworks Smoke yet? I assume it's as good as the rest of their stuff but interested in how the interface is. The Maverick interface was terrible.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I've got my ribs in the smoker, if I'm not gonna wrap, how long should I actually have smoke going if it will probably be around 5 hours?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I've got a probe going bad.

I knew it was weird when I saw the fan die and it hover at 285. Opened it, definitely wasn't 285, pulled probe out and let it get to ambient temp. Put it back on and everything else is fine.

This is a brand new thermocoupler probe. I tested it in boiling water and it registered 213f.

Anyone ever seen this before?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Always keep where the cord and the probe meet away from moisture. Always a weak link.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yep, definitely, no idea what happened in there but it seems to have resolved itself.

This 18lb brisket looks like it's pulled through the stall, so i wrapped it in butcher paper and feels like i'm close to on time for this thing to be done

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So my not-tri tip came out loving amazing, this is like one of the best things I've ever tasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ I want to eat that.

sellouts posted:

This 18lb brisket looks like it's pulled through the stall, so i wrapped it in butcher paper and feels like i'm close to on time for this thing to be done

Prove it.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 29, 2017