Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

hogmartin posted:

I've sat jury duty in two cases and not once was I sworn in, and pretty much we were generally encouraged not to say a drat thing (aside from answering selection questions). Just sit in the box and listen to both sides. Are there jurisdictions where jurors are sworn in on a bible?

Ytlaya posted:

Do jury members even have to do that? I was on a jury for an attempted murder case and never had to be sworn in. And why would I have had to, since it's not like the jury is testifying?

Actually, both times I was called for jury duty, they had us do it as a group in the waiting room before we got called for different courtrooms. And we had the option of either swearing on the bible or just affirming.

And nobody applauded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

That is some amazing grouping.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And nobody applauded.

That's sad. There's probably a young girl out there who still believes that women can't troll because of that, and she's wrong.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Do jury members even have to do that? I was on a jury for an attempted murder case and never had to be sworn in. And why would I have had to, since it's not like the jury is testifying?

No, the jury is sworn in all at once verbally by all simultaneously raising their hand because no one has time to administer 14 separate individual oaths on a bible.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Aerox posted:

No, the jury is sworn in all at once verbally by all simultaneously raising their hand because no one has time to administer 14 separate individual oaths on a bible.

b-b-but my pearl clutching religious lady who's prone to fainting????!??!?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sweeperbravo posted:

b-b-but my pearl clutching religious lady who's prone to fainting????!??!?

Don't you worry about her, she is off at a grocery store somewhere being outraged that their server is gay.

Then everybody applauds as the also gay supervisor and the server enjoy a gay marriage.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Who knew 80 pages were all you needed to stop bullets

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
its a joke.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's Kevin Nash, checks out

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

That one reminds me about a story that made the rounds during the Iraq war. Of some soldier who's aluminum Ipod case had stopped a bullet. Pictures and all.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Catberry posted:

made the rounds

hee

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That one is also a pretty obvious joke.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The woke baby/toddler stories are like the lowest of the low effort stdh's people make up. If you have any recent moms on facebook you'll see that kind of poo poo all the time. It's the next step in obnoxious facebook posting-about-your-kid - first phase is all poop talk and whining about not getting enough sleep, then once they can talk it's their time to show off how well they raised little Kaydyn or Brianthoni so they make up stories like that.

The worst example on my feed is a herbalife mom and every week or so there's another post about her "Herbababy" and how sweet she was to a (poor/black/homeless...pick one or any combination) person and how everyone started crying and her Faith In Humanity has been restored etc, always some story where she just doesn't "get" racism or sexism and laments about the state of society these days. By the way, our doctor said she was by far the healthiest child he's seen in years. Ask me to find out how! #herbalife #herbababy #hashtags.

From pages ago but what in the world is Herbalife?

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.

Rahonavis posted:

Just from quickly googling, looks like yet another MLM scam 'business'.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

Without looking it up, I believe it's an herbal supplement in the vein of either pills or shakes/smoothies, and is, I think, customer sold, sort of like Mary Kay or those stupid energy bracelets from a few years back that claimed to balance your magnetic field and make you stronger and healthier. I'm sure herbalife claims the same, which puts it into STDH territory by itself, apart from the fact that other poster mentioned it in the STDH thread.

e: As with most things that are "customer sold," it just means that those "businesses" lack a product they can stand behind enough to actually sell it themselves, so must resort to getting their customers to do the work for them so it's harder to prove their product is full of poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/67ns0e/tifu_by_going_to_a_dive_bar/ posted:

TIFU by thinking things were getting kinky
This happened about a month ago…
I was out at this dive/pool bar close to where I live with friends. Night was going well, drinks were flowing, and I ended up being in the position to take this girl home. Now, I didn’t want to take her back to mine because she wasn’t really from the top drawer and I knew I would be dealing with other things such as stressing about how she would get home. Call it anxiety but I pushed to go to hers. She said that we couldn’t either.
Then I get this idea of booking into one of those sleazy hotels in the area for a few hours, with my friend coming to fetch me after an hour. To which she agreed. I left my phone and all my valuables with my friend, he agreed to come get me in an hour, and off we went. I only had cash on me.
You may be asking why…
Well, there were red flags and things certainly seemed off but I wasn’t thinking with my real brain.
We get to the hotel, things are getting a bit hot and to my surprise she pulls out handcuffs. I just thought she was being kinky so I went with it. They were fluffy and pink, not standard police issue handcuffs so all I thought was that I had hit the jackpot, sorta, and would have a story to tell.
She gets on top of me and handcuffs my one hand to the bed and then before I know it she gets off, takes the money I had left and all of my clothes and leaves.
So there I am pretty flabbergasted to say the least thinking wtf just happened and now I’m stressing about how the gently caress I am going to get out of this situation. According to my friend he arrived after an hour, asked the receptionist if he had seen us come in and he says yes but only the woman left. He must have been thinking I’ve been murdered and had my organs harvested because he manages to get access to my room only to find me there stark naked handcuffed to the bed.
The handcuffs are actually quite flimsy and we manage to break them without destroying the bed. He offers me his shirt to cover what dignity I had left and we leave. I didn’t even look up to see the receptionist’s face because I was still in a state of shock, slightly impressed at how easily she pulled the whole con off throughout the entire night.
gently caress knows what would have happened if she came back to mine.
TL;DR: Don’t pick up suspiciously flirty ladies in dive bars

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/67ns0e/tifu_by_going_to_a_dive_bar/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

Without looking it up, I believe it's an herbal supplement in the vein of either pills or shakes/smoothies, and is, I think, customer sold, sort of like Mary Kay or those stupid energy bracelets from a few years back that claimed to balance your magnetic field and make you stronger and healthier. I'm sure herbalife claims the same, which puts it into STDH territory by itself, apart from the fact that other poster mentioned it in the STDH thread.

e: As with most things that are "customer sold," it just means that those "businesses" lack a product they can stand behind enough to actually sell it themselves, so must resort to getting their customers to do the work for them so it's harder to prove their product is full of poo poo

It's the company that Billionaire Bill Ackerman is trying to drive into the ground.

It's a real weird story, he has 9% of his company in a long term short position on direct shares. He's taken out full pages ads building the case on how they are a pyramid scheme. He got the FTC to investigate which resulted in a $200M fine in restitution to all the low-level "earners" Herbalife has scammed.(still only amounts to 10% of what these people lost). He's made a documentary about how they use high pressure techniques to target the Hispanic population, knowing they usually are reluctant to engage with the legal system to redress grievances. He feuded in public with Carl Ichann (who is a bullish supporter of Herbalife).

But then again, he stands to make an enormous amount of money if he destroys Herbalife. While he's said any personal profit will be donated to a victim's charity, his firms customers will still make out like bandits. He's now got a bunch of investigations going on around his activity when a shareholder lawsuit failed to prove Herbalife was a pyramid scheme. He supported Bloomberg's run for the Presidency, but after Trump was elected he felt confident in Trump's ability.

Some people swear he's an altruist who is morally offended that Herbalife exists, while others just say he's manipulating public opinion to drive the stock into the basement. As most things in real-life, it's probably mix of the two and even Ackerman probably can't say where one ends and the other begins.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Apr 27, 2017

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

It's the company that Billionaire Bill Ackerman is trying to drive into the ground.

It's a real weird story, he has 9% of his company in a long term short position on direct shares. He's taken out full pages ads building the case on how they are a pyramid scheme. He got the FTC to investigate which resulted in a $200M fine in restitution to all the low-level "earners" Herbalife has scammed.(still only amounts to 10% of what these people lost). He's made a documentary about how they use high pressure techniques to target the Hispanic population, knowing they usually are reluctant to engage with the legal system to redress grievances. He feuded in public with Carl Ichann (who is a bullish supporter of Herbalife).

But then again, he stands to make an enormous amount of money if he destroys Herbalife. While he's said any personal profit will be donated to a victim's charity, his firms customers will still make out like bandits. He's now got a bunch of investigations going on around his activity when a shareholder lawsuit failed to prove Herbalife was a pyramid scheme. He supported Bloomberg's run for the Presidency, but after Trump was elected he felt confident in Trump's ability.

Some people swear he's an altruist who is morally offended that Herbalife exists, while others just say he's manipulating public opinion to drive the stock into the basement. As most things in real-life, it's probably mix of the two and even Ackerman probably can't say where one ends and the other begins.

My question is, how is it that hard to prove it's a pyramid scheme?

They survive off getting their customers to hock their poo poo so all they have to do is make an ineffective product that preys on people who think non-FDA-approved supplements actually do anything. But the real believers are the ones selling it, so they can go out and convince their mother that all she has to do to stay healthy is take Herbalife every day or drink a shake with no nutritional value or wear a bracelet. At the end of the day they are all just things that can't be accurately demonstrated, so they "work" because people believe, or want to believe they do.

Their whole shtick is based on the premise of, "we can't prove it works, but you can't prove it doesn't, sell our poo poo so we don't have to on the promise of a few bucks."

But the product doing or not doing what they claim is irrelevant to pyramid schemes. It's all just them getting their customers to be their underpaid, unofficial employees like all MLM.

The only difference between that poo poo and things like Mary Kay or Cabi (my wife is incredibly into Cabi) is that the latter offer incentives on their products based on what they sell. You can get a bunch of middle-aged women into a Mary Kay party, and you can get a bunch of women into a Cabi party. You can see makeup and you can see clothes. Herbalife and their ilk can't prove poo poo, but somehow they survive on a demographic of bored housewives who treat the products like a religion and defend them to the death.

E: the only good thing about Cabi and Mary Kay aside from making my wife look and feel pretty and happy, is the fact that when she hosts parties I get kicked out of the house for a few hours

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Apr 27, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Wasn't that reddit thing basically a Seinfeld episode?

Also yeah herbalife is a poo poo company who sells products that make you lose weight, cures cancer, makes you intelligent, etc whatever you want to hear to make you part with your money.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My question is, how is it that hard to prove it's a pyramid scheme?

They survive off getting their customers to hock their poo poo so all they have to do is make an ineffective product that preys on people who think non-FDA-approved supplements actually do anything. But the real believers are the ones selling it, so they can go out and convince their mother that all she has to do to stay healthy is take Herbalife every day or drink a shake with no nutritional value or wear a bracelet. At the end of the day they are all just things that can't be accurately demonstrated, so they "work" because people believe, or want to believe they do.

Their whole shtick is based on the premise of, "we can't prove it works, but you can't prove it doesn't, sell our poo poo so we don't have to on the promise of a few bucks."

But the product doing or not doing what they claim is irrelevant to pyramid schemes. It's all just them getting their customers to be their underpaid, unofficial employees like all MLM.

The only difference between that poo poo and things like Mary Kay or Cabi (my wife is incredibly into Cabi) is that the latter offer incentives on their products based on what they sell. You can get a bunch of middle-aged women into a Mary Kay party, and you can get a bunch of women into a Cabi party. You can see makeup and you can see clothes. Herbalife and their ilk can't prove poo poo, but somehow they survive on a demographic of bored housewives who treat the products like a religion and defend them to the death.

E: the only good thing about Cabi and Mary Kay aside from making my wife look and feel pretty and happy, is the fact that when she hosts parties I get kicked out of the house for a few hours

Yeah, but I think the scammiest part is, as I have read it, is that you really make little or no money from actual sales. From what I have read (And remember from my ex-wife's time in Mary Kay, IRRC) you only REALLY make the money with your "downline" or the people you recruit into the company, and, in some companies, manage supplying to. And your "upline" makes their money of you and yours and so on and so on...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but I think the scammiest part is, as I have read it, is that you really make little or no money from actual sales. From what I have read (And remember from my ex-wife's time in Mary Kay, IRRC) you only REALLY make the money with your "downline" or the people you recruit into the company, and, in some companies, manage supplying to. And your "upline" makes their money of you and yours and so on and so on...

I live in Utah, which is ground zero for MLM stupidity.

MLMs are increasingly forcing their affiliates to buy large amounts of starter stock (Lularoe and lipsense are both really bad in this regard). You have no say in what is included in the kit, and the company will not buy back unsold stock.

Making money as an affiliate requires you to constantly sucker new people into joining your down line and purchasing these starter kits. Since the majority of those people will never purchase anything past the initial kit, that first purchase is your only real source of income.

The company will also charge you out the nose for leadership conferences, qualified leads, and any other garbage they can think of.

Once it's all said and done, most people lose stupid amounts of money on MLMs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Wasn't that reddit thing basically a Seinfeld episode?
yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=For8y4DwOpA

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, if it's widely known what MLMs are, and how much of a scam they are, why do people still buy into that garbage?

I've seen otherwise intelligent people totally ruined by Advocare and ItWorks!, and it's frustrating, because I tell them right to their face that they're an idiot, but they all swore they'd be driving around in a Benz, making thousands of dollars a week, "just wait and see!"

So why do people still fall for these scams?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

So, if it's widely known what MLMs are, and how much of a scam they are, why do people still buy into that garbage?

I've seen otherwise intelligent people totally ruined by Advocare and ItWorks!, and it's frustrating, because I tell them right to their face that they're an idiot, but they all swore they'd be driving around in a Benz, making thousands of dollars a week, "just wait and see!"

The short answer is because they have a canned answer for that very question and make it out like they are being unfairly criticized by people who didn't "have what it takes" to succeed with them.

Also people are stupid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

It ties deeply into people's ideals about the American Dream "you can be your own boss!" and their Protestant work ethic "You have to hustle! Sell, sell, sell!"

It's no wonder it goes over famously with the religious crowd in particular.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I mean, I've shown someone in black and white how Advocare is a scam, and instead of saying "oh poo poo" and cutting their losses, they just dig their heels in deeper about how much money they can potentially make.

SunkCostFallacy.txt I guess :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

I mean, I've shown someone in black and white how Advocare is a scam, and instead of saying "oh poo poo" and cutting their losses, they just dig their heels in deeper about how much money they can potentially make.

You can't believe everything you see on the internet, fake news, etc. They have an answer for every logical argument you can possibly make. They will only quit (if they ever do) when they themselves come to the conclusion.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Most of the first paragraph was pretty believable and then it just dove off a cliff into "adult trying to write like a wacky kid" territory.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Not only did I not react like a normal person by waking up to a sound, but I'm also so tired I said a whole sentence

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Not only did I not react like a normal person by waking up to a sound, but I'm also so tired I said a whole sentence

I've only been told this second hand, but I once got bad sunburn and was in bed sick while on a school trip, and some classmates who weren't aware came in and asked whether they could have some chips, and apparently I told them "sure, have some... but choke on them!". I have no recollection of saying this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

According to my first college roommate I would say all kinds of poo poo in my sleep. He said sometimes I would sit up, say some crazy thing, and then go back to sleep. I don't remember ever doing any of it, but I also don't think I reacted to anything either. People are varied and weird.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
According to my mom when I was little, I sleepwalked into her room, lifted her pillow like a toilet lid, peed, put the pillow back and went back to sleep.

She was very confused. That's my sleepwalking story. :sun:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I have had exes say I will pretty much have whole conversations while I am dead asleep. Once again, I am the STDH.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

My husband sat up and talked in bed asleep so much his mom reflexively woke up almost every night to go push him back down flat. I started sleeping with a leg over his chest.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
An ex-GF used to say things in her sleep, sometimes wake me up and say them and then roll back over without ever waking up herself. It might have been cute if it were snatches of dream-speak or whatever, but none of it made any drat sense, it was just a string of unrelated words in no grammatical order.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zipperelli. posted:

I do enjoy Advocare's pre-workout, and if I can figure out whatever white-label they actually get the actual product from and could buy direct instead of having to deal with their insane markup. (That said, I never let myself get suckered into becoming a distributor or buy any starter kits.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
My brothers ex's mother fell for a pyramid scam where she bought a machine that made prints on shirts and then supplies for that. The idea being to sell shirts with logos.

So she hassled relatives to be allowed to make their company shirts. I tried to explain to her that I buy printed shirts at $100 per pack of 50. I can't pay her $12 per shirt. She might as well just ask for donations and let me buy the regular shirts because it would be the same thing.