Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Meanwhile in other threads people are advocating the death of the single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Onmi posted:

For the record Kate Leth was on Twitter and basically said that while people said they loved the book, they would approach her at Cons and say that they fell behind and then figured "Eh, I'll get the trade."

Whether or not you like Hellcat or Nova or any of these other books getting canned. Please buy it if you enjoy it. There is actually no other way to support these books, just because you laugh at the pages or post around saying "My god it's amazing." If you don't buy it, then you can't help it.

Do they not value trade sales highly? I was under the impression that Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl make most of their bank from scholastic sales etc.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Tony Stark: He was 'inverted' due to the events of Axis and never changed back, leading up to Superior Iron Man, but then he was back to his old self after Secret Wars (I think?). What ended up happening to change him back?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone was selling ~110 marvel graphic novels on Kijiji for $250 canadian. I now own a lot of marvel graphic novels. The selection is incredibly random, but it's fun to go through and pick out random stories from the last thirty years. Stuff like Spiderman and Silver Sable, weird Avengers stories I hadn't heard of, and a whole lot of Thunderbolts. Plus the entire Peter David Hulk run (which I actually own in floppy, but whatever, this is easier to read).

Did you get "The Alien Costume Saga" as part of it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Tony Stark: He was 'inverted' due to the events of Axis and never changed back, leading up to Superior Iron Man, but then he was back to his old self after Secret Wars (I think?). What ended up happening to change him back?

Franklin

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

fadam posted:

Do they not value trade sales highly? I was under the impression that Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl make most of their bank from scholastic sales etc.

They do, but you have to understand that you're still judged on a single-issue basis. I mean it's hard for me, because I'm Australian. And basically nothing I do in regards to comics makes a difference to what DC or Marvel will do.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

fadam posted:

The latest Ghost Rider run got hardcore, capital C, super Another Issue Was Already Solicited But Now It'll Never Come Out cancelled before the first trade was out, for example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This would be the second time that Franklin fixed Tony. It's a thing. Maybe when the FF returns Franklin will fix Tony again.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Which reminds me, is Hawkeye still deaf?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm pretty sure that he got a new body at some point and that fixed that, but I can't recall why I think that. Maybe when Scarlet Witch brought him back?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schneider Heim posted:

He was still deaf after Secret Wars, he just usually has Starktech hearing aids that make him functionally not deaf unless there's a plot reason for it to matter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm pretty sure that he got a new body at some point and that fixed that, but I can't recall why I think that. Maybe when Scarlet Witch brought him back?

He got his ear drums punctured in the Fraction series, which was after Scarlet Witch brought him back to life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was actually un-deafed the first time by Franklin Richards after Heroes Reborn since Franklin didn't know he was deaf.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fraction brought back the hearing problems, but I think it was only temporary.

Just a reminder, or heads up to anyone new; Fraction's Hawkeye is a must read. So, so good.

EDIT: Awesome issue of Thor this week. Quentin Quire is always a treat. The War Thor is totally Odin, isn't it?

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 27, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've got a couple of the Fraction Omni's in stock at work for a pretty great deal if anybody wants one.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, Doom's turn to being a hero is great. And I'd say it's Secret Wars that set that up, really.

Doom had to admit Reed would have been better with the power he gained, and Reed gets those powers. So what's one of the things Reed does? He fixes Victor's face.

So it seems like this leads to Doom realizing he has been something of a poo poo at times and trying to make up for it by being a hero, which he's not good at but is genuinely trying his best.

I prefer to think of Doom's face turn the way one of the characters in Infamous Iron Man does...he became a good guy not because he wants to be good, or because he wants to make up for anything, but simply because he found being bad to not be fulfilling. I'm sure that, since he remembers being a god, there's some 'Reed was a better god than I was. Why? Because he's 'good?'' trying to understand what happened stuff going on there, too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I got mine recently for a steal, and I've fallen in love with the book all over again. We should do a book club about it next month.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah, I asked the Hawkeye question because of that Heroes Reborn thing. I liked how his deafness was a thing in Hawkeye vs Deadpool.

I want good Doom to last forever because he looks handsome in a suit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanos and Baron Zemo's respective face turns are some of the most interesting things to ever happen in comics to me. It would be ridiculous to have these characters filled with remorse and become goody two shoes, because it would throw away pretty much their entire characterization, so instead their journeys become more about examining the nature of redemption and what makes a person good, and how much can a despicable human being change, and does intent matter at all or do actions determine everything, that kinda thing.

Of course they've both returned to bad guy status, so whatever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I remember when Zemo showed up in Brubaker's Cap run and everyone was worried this was a return to villainy but then it turned out what Zemo was after in that story made 100% sense with where the character was at that time

and then Secret Avengers/Avengers Undercover happened and he was an evil nazi man again

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Thanos and Baron Zemo's respective face turns are some of the most interesting things to ever happen in comics to me. It would be ridiculous to have these characters filled with remorse and become goody two shoes, because it would throw away pretty much their entire characterization, so instead their journeys become more about examining the nature of redemption and what makes a person good, and how much can a despicable human being change, and does intent matter at all or do actions determine everything, that kinda thing.

Of course they've both returned to bad guy status, so whatever.

I really like what's happening with Clayface in Detective Comics and I'm going to be pretty chapped when some dick writer changes him back for no good reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Besides his oh so brief time on a farm I'm not sure you can really qualify Thanos as ever being a full on good guy or really even halfway there. He was always on the side that eventually worked out best for him. Even in something like Infinity Abyss where he's fighting his evil clones or in Marvel: The End where he literally saves the entire universe and nobody knows about it. He did those things purely out of self interest. Starlin wrote him nuanced but never really on the side of good because it was the side of good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Besides his oh so brief time on a farm I'm not sure you can really qualify Thanos as ever being a full on good guy or really even halfway there. He was always on the side that eventually worked out best for him. Even in something like Infinity Abyss where he's fighting his evil clones or in Marvel: The End where he literally saves the entire universe and nobody knows about it. He did those things purely out of self interest. Starlin wrote him nuanced but never really on the side of good because it was the side of good.

He was a good guy in that mini that I don't think was supposed to be a mini that predates and kinda leads into Annihilation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well no, Thanos was never a "good guy", but there was that period where he was basically a space monk trying to find truth and not mess with anyone if he could help it, and that was pretty cool. I was disappointed when that was cut short so he could join the Annihilation wave.

Blockhouse posted:

I remember when Zemo showed up in Brubaker's Cap run and everyone was worried this was a return to villainy but then it turned out what Zemo was after in that story made 100% sense with where the character was at that time

and then Secret Avengers/Avengers Undercover happened and he was an evil nazi man again

He was also evil in that Hawkeye mini that everyone forgot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

He was a good guy in that mini that I don't think was supposed to be a mini that predates and kinda leads into Annihilation.

That's the Starlin/Giffen series. Arguably the only good thing he did that series was help that one planet evacuate before Galactus eats it. And all of that is really pretense to set up that stupid Hunger thing. Then it's just a series of weird events with Beyonder and the first Herald of Galactus.

Basically that series is kind of a mess because I imagine, though I don't know for sure, that Starlin left in the middle in a huff like he sometimes does when he doesn't get to do something he wants or doesn't feel like playing with others. Clearly Annihilation was on the horizon and I'm sure he wanted to have nothing to do with it because it wasn't part of his Thanos narrative.

I love love love Jim Starlin but he's really way too protective of his pet characters.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: History rewrite by the cosmic cube. Have any of the "meta-aware" characters like Deadpool or Gwenpool commented on it? Were their memories changed as well?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

RIp Hellcat, you were too beautiful for this world. Maybe she'll join an Avengers team or something else.

At least it ended on a high note.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Scaramouche posted:

RE: History rewrite by the cosmic cube. Have any of the "meta-aware" characters like Deadpool or Gwenpool commented on it? Were their memories changed as well?

No, because the writers probably weren't aware of it and were told not to spoil it if they were.

V Oh, wait a moment. I thought you were talking, like... the 'allies used the cosmic cube' re-write, not the Kobik re-write. My bad. V

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

KaosMachina posted:

No, because the writers probably weren't aware of it and were told not to spoil it if they were.

why would you think the writers weren't aware of it especially duggan who has been using this for months in both uncanny avengers and deadpool

actual answer: deadpool's fourth wall breaking is for goofs and said goofs would break one of the subplots of his book (not knowing steve is evil now and still supporting him) and gwen's in-universe knowledge only goes up to when she started appearing in comics (so the end of the first zdarsky howard the duck book/the start of secret wars)

e: okay I see your edit now but I bet writers were still aware of this? there isn't zero communication going on at marvel

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 27, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fraction brought back the hearing problems, but I think it was only temporary.

Just a reminder, or heads up to anyone new; Fraction's Hawkeye is a must read. So, so good.

Nah, it was permanent, but like his previous hearing loss, it's mostly ignored unless a writer decides to make it a plot point. They just handwave it with Starktech hearing aids.

(E: there was a mini with Hawkeye and Deadpool and I thing Spider-Man where it was a nice little bit of characterization that Spider-Man was basically unintelligible to Clint because he kept speaking while turned away and also wearing a mask, but Deadpool had the presence of mind to lift his mask so Clint could read his lips, because Deadpool might be a shithead but he's a thoughtful shithead)

as the husband of a hearing-impaired person it brightens my day any time they don't handwave it yes people with hearing loss deserve to be in your comics too you fuckers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Onmi posted:

For the record Kate Leth was on Twitter and basically said that while people said they loved the book, they would approach her at Cons and say that they fell behind and then figured "Eh, I'll get the trade."

Whether or not you like Hellcat or Nova or any of these other books getting canned. Please buy it if you enjoy it. There is actually no other way to support these books, just because you laugh at the pages or post around saying "My god it's amazing." If you don't buy it, then you can't help it.

This is why I buy as many individual issues as I can. At least from Marvel, they seem quicker to cancel stuff than the others.

SilverSupernova posted:

At least it ended on a high note.

The last page with everyone at the mall together was great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Scarlet Spider is nuts.

I miss Kaine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shinjobi posted:

Scarlet Spider is nuts.

I miss Kaine.

I suggest to keep reading then as he's going to be part of that series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

X-O posted:

I suggest to keep reading then as he's going to be part of that series.

I know. I actually do feel a lot better about this series if Reilly is still a bad guy; means Kaine can still be a (reluctant) good guy.:unsmith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Nah, it was permanent, but like his previous hearing loss, it's mostly ignored unless a writer decides to make it a plot point. They just handwave it with Starktech hearing aids.

(E: there was a mini with Hawkeye and Deadpool and I thing Spider-Man where it was a nice little bit of characterization that Spider-Man was basically unintelligible to Clint because he kept speaking while turned away and also wearing a mask, but Deadpool had the presence of mind to lift his mask so Clint could read his lips, because Deadpool might be a shithead but he's a thoughtful shithead)

as the husband of a hearing-impaired person it brightens my day any time they don't handwave it yes people with hearing loss deserve to be in your comics too you fuckers

that's hawkeye vs deadpool which is a fantastic mini but spider-man is not in it

I haven't read occupy avengers but it feeeels like something his hearing loss should show up in?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Plus the entire Peter David Hulk run (which I actually own in floppy, but whatever, this is easier to read).

Has the entire run been collected? I know the Visionaries line got up to just before Dale Keown leaves and Jan Duursema comes in, and the most recent collection (the "Future Imperfect" Epic Collection) gets up to Rick and Marlo's wedding then the Future Imperfect miniseries, but I'm pretty sure that leaves about 30 issues or so before the end of the PAD run that haven't been collected yet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has the entire run been collected? I know the Visionaries line got up to just before Dale Keown leaves and Jan Duursema comes in, and the most recent collection (the "Future Imperfect" Epic Collection) gets up to Rick and Marlo's wedding then the Future Imperfect miniseries, but I'm pretty sure that leaves about 30 issues or so before the end of the PAD run that haven't been collected yet.

Boo. I just assumed the visionaries series + the handful of extra minis had it all, because that just makes sense. It appears not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I had a look - the Future Imperfect Epic Collection goes up to #419 and PAD's last issue is #470 or so.

It's a pretty long one. I think it's the third-longest there's been at Marvel after Claremont on X-Men and Bendis on Ultimate Spidey.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eh I still have the floppies so it's ok. (but even there I'm missing like the last 20 issues)

Honestly it's more about my son, so missing some issues at the end isn't a big deal. One thing I love about marvel vs DC is that it's generally more colourful and kid friendly. DC isn't much worse but I worry about weird one off issues.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh I still have the floppies so it's ok. (but even there I'm missing like the last 20 issues)

Honestly it's more about my son, so missing some issues at the end isn't a big deal. One thing I love about marvel vs DC is that it's generally more colourful and kid friendly. DC isn't much worse but I worry about weird one off issues.

Please let us know of any hidden gems, or really any stories in that big collection you've enjoyed. I'm always on the lookout for new/old stuff to read on MU.

• Locked thread