Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

By that point like not counting cartoons he'd only lucked into killing one and got owned by an 80 year old in like 30 seconds. So no they're not really his specialty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bullshitting is his specialty.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Basically when it comes to the Sith Obi-Wan is the "I thought you said you were trained for combat!" "I was! But I was never in it!" scene from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Bullshitting is his specialty.

I can't stress enough how awesome it is that that really is his specialty and it's reflected even as early as A New Hope when he bullshit scares the Tusken Raiders away, "These aren't the droids you're looking for." Stealthing around the Death Star etc. and then like someone said earlier the moment the he actually gets into an even fight with someone he gives up.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ewan-Obi is so great and builds into Alec-Obi so well. It's been pointed out in the thread before, but Old Ben is kind of a goofy trickster who is really good at dispensing and detecting bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k-941c-ZTc&t=78s

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Old Ben vs. Maul fight from recent Rebels episode is pretty great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Maybe we can split the difference."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't stress enough how awesome it is that that really is his specialty and it's reflected even as early as A New Hope when he bullshit scares the Tusken Raiders away, "These aren't the droids you're looking for." Stealthing around the Death Star etc. and then like someone said earlier the moment the he actually gets into an even fight with someone he gives up.

That's really what I like most about the Jedi as portrayed in the original trilogy - they use violence as a last resort. In the prequels, it's wham-bam-sabers-out everywhere you go.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

obiwan chopped a guys arm off because he was talkin tough

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kly posted:

obiwan chopped a guys arm off because he was talkin tough

Did you miss the part where the dude was pulling his blaster because he thought Luke might look better with a giant hole in his chest? Old Ben saw that poo poo coming a mile away.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Don't start none, won't be none.

Dr. Evazan you stupid bastard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Did you miss the part where the dude was pulling his blaster because he thought Luke might look better with a giant hole in his chest? Old Ben saw that poo poo coming a mile away.

Please let this start an Obi-Wan swung first argument.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Obi-Wan is the actual Grey Jedi.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Obi-Wan is the actual Grey Jedi.

Well yeah, its not like Mos Eisely gets a lot of shipments of Just for Men.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Captain Splendid posted:

But Sith Lords were supposed to be his speciality :ohdear:

You heard it in your brain: SPEH SHEE AH LEE TEE

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Nessus posted:

Why would there even be a question about why Vader takes Tarkin's orders? He's in charge of the project even if Vader is also a big dick, and I think it is fair to say that he is not exactly resistant to being bossed around by older guys based on the other films.

Yeah, basically this.

Earlier drafts had Tarkin being the power behind the throne of the entire Empire, with the Emperor being a weak puppet who was easily manipulated by Tarkin's cunning and political acumen. Of course Vader would listen to him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus I got the impression they respected each other somewhat - Tarkin goes with Vader's plan of letting Leia/etc. escape and tracking them instead of just immediately capturing them before they get a chance to board their Falcon even though he think it's a pretty big risk. I always just figured it was Tarkin's project and they were like equal-ish because they have incompatible ranks of "Grand Moff" and "Dark Lord of the Sith." I just figured Tarkin is the big picture political tactics guy and Vader is the on the ground track down and kill people guy and they're both on the same side so they cooperate and get each other.

Sort of makes sense in retrospect, IIRC Vader and Boba Fett were going to be the same character in earlier versions of this version of the story right? Like Vader was going to be a guy the empire hires at first?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tarkin isnt a Grand Moff. Its a title that does not exist in the film and was added to his description on a toy. He is still, however definitely a big shot given how hes in charge of the death star and is somewhat dismissive in saying local governors will rule their systems as though governor is a title below him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

Tarkin isnt a Grand Moff. Its a title that does not exist in the film and was added to his description on a toy. He is still, however definitely a big shot given how hes in charge of the death star and is somewhat dismissive in saying local governors will rule their systems as though governor is a title below him.

I mean "Dark Lord of the Sith" isn't used in the film either and was introduced via promotional stuff shortly after/when the movie came out too but my point was just that it's obvious Vader isn't exactly a standard issue officer from how he behaves and from the dialogue in the movie and also obvious that the Death Star is Tarkin's baby. Pretend my post said "Governor" and "Lord" since that's what Princess Leia calls them both upon meeting them if that is better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nah Im just yanking your chain.

I feel like the loss of Tarkin and other onboard personnell was a bigger strategic loss for the Empire than the Death Star.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean "Dark Lord of the Sith" isn't used in the film either and was introduced via promotional stuff shortly after/when the movie came out too but my point was just that it's obvious Vader isn't exactly a standard issue officer from how he behaves and from the dialogue in the movie and also obvious that the Death Star is Tarkin's baby. Pretend my post said "Governor" and "Lord" since that's what Princess Leia calls them both upon meeting them if that is better.

Leia calls him governor as a dig.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I always thought in ANH that Vader is basically a special ops type guy who reports to the emperor but is outside of the chain of command. So he would obey Tarkin for business as usual matters but could take charge when needed. So in ESB I thought due to the events of ANH, the emporer said "gently caress it - I trust you more than these bureaucrats. You are second in command, here is your giant ship, go crush the rebellion".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Emperor was actually pretty pissed that Vader got the Death Star blown the gently caress up, and bumped him down the chain of command in certain aspects following the events of ANH.

Although I don't know if that's canon or not.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm actually glad the new movies are playing up the religion a little bit more. It never really made sense why Palpatine wanted to be Emperor. You'd think as a Sith he'd have some long term goals to go with his power grab but I've only been expose to Sith philosophy in the games.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the whole point of the Sith is that they just want power. Like, why would they care if some old dude wrote something in a book if they always tend to personally murder their mentors?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In the script for Star Wars (and the novelization), the Emperor is a weak figure head, and Vader is one of several Dark Lords of the Sith who surround the Emperor as "advisors" and actually control him, really running the galaxy. So Tarkin has official command, but Vader is a powerful "pulling the strings" guy most people do not want to gently caress with. The military, for the most part, clearly doesn't respect him, but has to deal with him. So when the movie was filmed, this is basically the set up of the galaxy in the background.

Most of that wasn't actually said out loud in the film, however, so they could just ignore it when they made a sequel and fleshed out the universe a bit. But it's mentioned in the novelization.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

Nah Im just yanking your chain.

I feel like the loss of Tarkin and other onboard personnell was a bigger strategic loss for the Empire than the Death Star.

Definitely, after a New Hope the Empire slowly crumbled without Motti around keeping it real for everyone. Plus I forget what the Death Star holds but yeah, all those officers, soldiers and ships gone in the blink of an eye?

Then in Jedi the Emeperor is so full of himself he sets up this risky (because hey, what if the rebels went with a blockade running all out assault on the forest moon first instead of a small team) final ultimate battle JUST so he can sway Luke to his side. The nerve of this dude lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dark lord of the Sith is in the original Star Wars script from 1975 or whatever

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sith happens.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Impossible. Sith hasn't happened for millennia.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Isn't the dumb EU explanation for the Emperor's power grab that the Sith knew an extra-galactic alien invasion force was coming in a few decades to genocide everyone? Thus the need for dictatorial power to build a big fuckoff star fleet to save everyone.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Vong?

How long until Disney bring them back into canon? 20 years?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

The Vong?

How long until Disney bring them back into canon? 20 years?

Fingers crossed absolutely never since they are completely boring and add nothing to the universe and also disrupt main themes of it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

Impossible. Sith hasn't happened for millennia.

That Sith couldn't happen here in the Republic.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FuturePastNow posted:

Isn't the dumb EU explanation for the Emperor's power grab that the Sith knew an extra-galactic alien invasion force was coming in a few decades to genocide everyone? Thus the need for dictatorial power to build a big fuckoff star fleet to save everyone.

That was Thrawn's motivation for doing what he did, not the Emperor. The Emperor was just generally aware of them as a vague rumor and didn't really give a poo poo.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Even in-EUniverse, other characters say that's self-serving Imperial bullshit. Palpatine didn't really care much, the Vong were incidental to him.

Han Solo in NJO: Destiny's posted:

"What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong–killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

In a photo they showed at Celebration, Finn not only wearing Poe's jacket but shirt and pants too. He stole the dude's outfit. Or...perhaps he borrowed it. :q:

Like Lando at the end of ESB.

Again it's like poetry, they rhyme.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Martman posted:

I think the whole point of the Sith is that they just want power. Like, why would they care if some old dude wrote something in a book if they always tend to personally murder their mentors?
If there are evil Sith ghosts like there are good Jedi ghosts - hell, if the Sith invented the technique first - it would actually explain how the gently caress all this rule of two poo poo could work out and also cover for the obvious 'what happens if the chain is broken somewhere and now the half-trained apprentice has lost all the advanced teachings.' Answer: Ghosts.

Now obviously ghosts are contrary to the core themes of Star Wars (that being "Han Solo") but I think we should consider it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also data crons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

That does sound like a pretty dumb explanation.

Isn't it the ambition of a Sith follower to become as powerful as they possibly can, both through the force and in terms of personal influence? The flip side is the Jedi who are supposed to be pursuing inner peace. So Palpatine's pursuit of political power is just an extension of his pursuit of personal power.

I guess it's also dumb to say that the quest for power lies in gaining more power but that's the circular logic of most creeds.

• Locked thread