Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wasn't aware there was an over saturation of sexually violent games that have been released recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Has Agony been confirmed as another run-and-hideathon? I saw some preview footage a month or two back and it was starting to look more like Bioshock, letting you possess demons and toss around firebombs.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Relin posted:

i wasn't aware there was an over saturation of sexually violent games that have been released recently

Not really, I mean inside the game itself. In Agony's case, when every room is made up of flesh and blood and everything is some kinda of deformed teethvagina demon, it all blends together and becomes quite mundane and same-y.

There's no subtlety and with nothing to contrast the gore and repulsive stuff against, it just ends up feeling less shocking than they're going for.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Imagine the walkthroughs people will make for Agony.

After the bleeding nipple demon, take a left. If you see a guy laying in his own piss, you've gone too far. Around there should be the collectible artifact of scrotum tearing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

After this you should be entering the Valley of Viscera, pass the dozens of sliced up titties and walk through the archway that looks like a giant hemorrhoidal rear end in a top hat, be sure to watch for the patrolling teethvaginafaces as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 27, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was basically Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 3 was good :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oh yeah and continually making GBS threads on Outlast 2 some more, your guy's wife is pretty much just a plot item the entire game through that's also constantly bombarded with rapey poo poo, first it's finding her, you do so in a creeeeepy chapel where the spooooky hick cultists and their high chief rapemaster "papa" cult leader are talking about how they're "inspecting" her the entire way as you're trying to take the goofy rear end route through the place since the front doors to the room are locked, then it's "Oh no she's somehow magic pregnant" literally because she isn't when the game starts and then suddenly she's already getting big rear end stomach, also your guy asks her what happened/what did they do and she gets all chokey and does the "I just can't" thing, then it's finding her again because immediately after that she gets kidnapped by the second backwoods rapecult "heretics", some other junk happens, you get to the ending, she gives the fastest birth you've ever seen but it's not-actually-birth or something because it was all Murkopff Jackoff Corporation psychosomatic pregnancy or whatever and she says there's nothing actually there while you're holding your ugly baby and then she dies and that's her contributions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Another AI game... man I did NOT think there was a chance of that happening. Great news, if true.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tired Moritz posted:

outlast 2 sounds really bad lol

It's actually gotten lots of really good reviews

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Whoever wrote the notes for Outlast 2, I'm pretty sure they wrote them one-handed because holy poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

oldpainless posted:

It's actually gotten lots of really good reviews

That's never been much of a real seal of quality.

Like I'm trying to remember who, one of the bigger sites reviews for it said the same thing they all say, the chases, the cornfield, this and that, then blurts out this big rear end paragraph of all these things wrong, then gives it like an 8.5 or something.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Whoever wrote the notes for Outlast 2, I'm pretty sure they wrote them one-handed because holy poo poo.

Also yeah the notes this time are pretty much all one of two things, either really long and uninteresting "This is 'scripture' and whatever of our very unique christian cult" or it's "I dreamed of the babies and slitting their throats and I got so worked up, I woke up soaked in my own jizz" and not even exaggerating, both on the content of the notes or how that's virtually all of them just worded different. Actually poo poo wait, I forgot a third one, women talking about how they're ready to die or whatever else to kill their definitely-the-antichrist-this-time babies which mostly come from rapelord supreme "papa" cult leader.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 27, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah okay all those spoilers sound horrible. I wish there were any devs mature enough to properly use the subject matter to scare the poo poo out of male gamers instead of just the standard "rape is bad so our bad guys rape, rape rape rape" that so much media does.

Adult diaper kickstarter

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Adult diaper kickstarter

idgi

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All that edgy HELL stuff has made me remember how great Hell was in The Darkness.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They did a kick starter for adult diapers because outlast two is so pants pooping scary that you'll need them.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 27, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The Darkness was shockingly great in general. Did the sequel remotely live up to it? Never played

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They already exist though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

The Darkness was shockingly great in general. Did the sequel remotely live up to it? Never played
it's very different and not really what anyone wanted the sequel to be, but the gameplay is really fun and it's cheap as dirt on Steam these days

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathChicken posted:

I enjoyed it more. The combat in the first game always felt a little anemic. It's a bit punchier in the second game. The art style looks a lot better too. Mike Patton's just as good in each game though, not that they could replace him after the first game.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The scenes in Outlast 2 with those guys who scream and gibber really loudly as they chase you are very effective but I'm definitely not the target audience for games like this. I've got enough stress in my life, don't need more in my relaxation time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember liking the co-op in The Darkness. Either one or two? I don't remember. It was the little things that really stuck out in those games, like watching all of To Kill A Mockingbird.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I can't wait to play Outlast 2 this weekend so that I can become the SMG for that game in this thread (I won't, I am too lazy).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

They already exist though

They were Outlast branded diapers

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Bogart posted:

I remember liking the co-op in The Darkness. Either one or two? I don't remember. It was the little things that really stuck out in those games, like watching all of To Kill A Mockingbird.

I don't think 1 had multiplayer, did it?

2 was a much more "arcadey" experience. Faster gunplay and more emphasis on just wrecking poo poo as a demon mob-boss who bites off dicks with your monster arms.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yardbomb posted:

Dishonored did this really well imo, since the Abbey were being used by High Overseer Campbell as another arm to cow people during the big upheaval trying to happen in the first game.

"The Abbey of the Everyman, or simply the Abbey, is a religious order in the world of the Dishonored franchise, spread and enforced by Overseers and headed by the High Overseer. Under the Lord Regent Hiram Burrows, the Overseers of the Abbey are granted the full authority of a civilian police force. The Abbey follows a strict set of doctrines known as the Seven Strictures, which dictate how followers of the Abbey should conduct themselves. Citizens are encouraged to place all their devotion and faith in the institution of the Abbey, particularly the High Overseer. Thus, the Abbey is generally regarded as a spiritual watchdog. The Abbey permits no other religions and opposes all acts of magic and witchcraft, in addition condemning those who diverge from the Abbey's ways. As the Outsider is the source of all magic in the world, the Abbey disavows him and actively combats his temptation of mortals. The Abbey practices the burning of witches and heretics even in the industrialized age, as well as the destruction of supernatural objects, such as runes and bone charms."

Fanatical masked men patrolling the city, who have the actual law on their side to bring you in for suspicion of aiding or worshiping the Outsider, pretty much playing another part to keep people quiet and under the heel of the big guys that had the empress killed.

Good world building, but I never felt like I couldn't just blink around and suffocate them to sleep or snap their necks as Corvo. I'm talking about making something like that the main enemy where you had to make sure you didn't commit any sins or associate with the wrong people without strict punishment coming your way. Maybe even make it something like Thief where you can still hide and sneak past problems, but they can easily kill you if caught and maybe you get tangled in rival occult powers all the same even if you're trying to be a strict good sheep of the flock or something.

Bogart posted:

Darkness 2 had co-op that was alright. One was a slight black swan shooter that made a moderate amount of money without really feeling like a comicbook game. 2, on the otherhand, really went hard with nice cell-shaded comic designs and motivs for the time to really try to pull in some of that super hero interest. 2 was shorter, but a lot more refined in its story.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So Capcom isn't happy with RE7 getting 3.5 million in sales. With that and Sega not being happy with Alien's respectable numbers what's up with publishers over expecting horror sales?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it's a bit of a spurious connection -- that it's closer to 'Japanese companies don't quite understand returns on AAA games' than 'publishers don't understand horror.'

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Little Nightmares is deeply uncomfortable and relentlessly tense. Its great, go buy it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

1stGear posted:

deeply uncomfortable and relentlessly tense

But enough about your sex life

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

oldpainless posted:

But enough about your sex life

More like oldmerciless

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haven't been impressed by what I've seen of Outlast 2. Especially compared to the first one, this one just seems like a lazy, tacky cashgrab.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Doesn't the same thing happen with blockbuster films these days? "Oh, it's ONLY dozens of millions of dollars, thus a failure." :rolleyes:

RE7 is amazing, doesn't rely on rape for a plot device, and if Jack Baker isn't in the next Marvel vs Capcom I will be super-bummed.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Doesn't the same thing happen with blockbuster films these days? "Oh, it's ONLY dozens of millions of dollars, thus a failure." :rolleyes:

RE7 is amazing, doesn't rely on rape for a plot device, and if Jack Baker isn't in the next Marvel vs Capcom I will be super-bummed.

Most likely there's way too much executive bloat at Capcom and they expected billions unrealistically, especially when they paid money to get denuvo into the game pointlessly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Darkness was also pretty unique in being a fairly early sandbox FPS if I remember correctly. It also had a ton of cool poo poo like two full classic movies (I remember To Kill a Mockingbird was one of them) that you could sit down and watch from start to finish if you really wanted to, and the phone numbers you could dial from payphones (some of which got you bonus stuff).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Prey owns btw. It is some straight up System Shock, right down to the mention of 'psi hypos' and the INCREDIBLY LOUD techno music.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The other movie was The Street Fighter with Sonny Chiba

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DeathChicken posted:

I never played the first one (PC guy here) but I loved 2. It just played really well and was a a fun shooter.

I'm really looking forward to Prey. I'm sad about Prey 2, but I am liking the idea of a retro-looking System Shock 2 rip-off, so I'm super down.

Edit: vv There's a demo?

Edit 2: Oh, console only.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 28, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Try the Prey demo because it's, uh, not great.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I disagree. It is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I would like to offer a middle ground if it was alright but I would like to know more.