Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Replying in a separate post like a normal person won't break SA's servers, Snak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the deal with go90 and seeso. Like who the hell subscribes to those? They seem to be targeted at teens?

I don't know what Seeso is but they have the my brother my brother and me tv show and i think a doug stanhope stand up special on them.

that's a good start.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

go90 is free on Verizon phones. I've used it to watch Babylon 5.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seeso has some good shows (MBMBAM, Take My Wife, I guess Harmonquest if you like that sorta poo poo) but yeah I dunno what the point of it is

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the deal with go90 and seeso. Like who the hell subscribes to those? They seem to be targeted at teens?

I'm a SeeSo subscriber via Amazon Prime. SeeSo's geared toward comedy fans; I believe they're the exclusive home of Monty Python, Alan Partridge, and A Bit of Fry and Laurie. They also have some drat good originals: Debate Wars (which is pretty funny), My Brother, My Brother, and Me (which I haven't seen but heard great things about), and Take My Wife (which landed on my top ten of 2016). For $4, it's not a bad addition if you have Prime.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch My Brother My Brother and Me you MANIACS https://youtu.be/UK7y7POw0yA

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Prime addons are the worst. I have like 3 of them now. Amazon Prime has become my favorite streaming service, quickly beating out netflix and hulu over the last year.

My biggest complaint is that the interface of the ps4 app is one of the worst I've ever seen. Well, it was until I saw The CW app on xbox 360. Which doesn't tell you the order of the episodes and doesn't display them in a linear fashion.

Aside from the interface being total garbage, the biggest thing that's missing on amazon prime is the ability to filter search results by "free". On the flip side, it's also nice, when you are looking for one specific thing, to be searching everything at once. I already have to check hulu, netflix, and amazon prime when I want to watch something, but if I had HBO, Starz, and Shudder on seperate apps, that would be 3 more things I'd have to search.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

You can get a free month of no commercials if you go on Hulu. The thing worth noting is last i checked, if you cancel services, you do not get to keep remaining time.

I would recomend on Hulu Difficult People. It is a really great comedy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seeso sounds ok now that I looked closer. I just briefly looked at go90 and all I saw were Youtubers doing dance and make up tutorials. And also Mythbusters for some reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also I like how IRQ never felt like explaining why The Leftover's premise was "insultingly stupid."

Someone summarized it shortly after that and I felt that it spoke for itself. I haven't seen anyone say what's good about it either, other than a random inflatable Gary Busey - which I acknowledge is good. Also it would start a very stupid argument up again that may or may not be against the "poo poo we don't bring up" rules.

If you would like the less internet version please feel free to replace "insultingly stupid" with something more conciliatory to your personal tastes because I really truly don't want to diminish your enjoyment of the leftovers and you really shouldn't care what I think anyway.

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone must if they scraped together enough cash to do the MBMBAM show. I don't understand it either, or who is subscribing to Machinima and all the old movies add-on channels.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon Prime needs a category just for the Rifftrax they have available.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
"Look, I don't want to dwell on the overabundance of 80's romantic crime procedurals..."

Brockmire has so many great lines in every episode. It's crazy.

Edit: Speaking of Brockmire, this got posted a week ago http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5c34229332/jim-brockmire-hits-brock-bottom-with-tony-hale

IRQ posted:

If you would like the less internet version please feel free to replace "insultingly stupid" with something more conciliatory to your personal tastes because I really truly don't want to diminish your enjoyment of the leftovers and you really shouldn't care what I think anyway.

That's not why I asked.

IRQ posted:

Someone summarized it shortly after that and I felt that it spoke for itself. I haven't seen anyone say what's good about it either, other than a random inflatable Gary Busey - which I acknowledge is good. Also it would start a very stupid argument up again that may or may not be against the "poo poo we don't bring up" rules.

Fair enough...except I went back and didn't see this summary you speak of explaining your sentiment on the page after you said that. I'm just going to let the mystery be.

GreenNight posted:

go90 is free on Verizon phones. I've used it to watch Babylon 5.

At least Babylon 5 is streaming somewhere. :smith:

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 27, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of Hulu, Harlots rules. It's an 18th century brothel wars show, but it's more funny and sexy than that description would suggest. Not that it shies away from the life of a prostitute, it can be quite brutal and nasty, but at the same time It's super colourful and fun looking -- and every episode ends with a contemporary cover of a historical song (usually a reprise of an earlier, historically appropriate version).

Five episodes out currently, out of eight. Check it out.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ok I'm watching 13 Reasons Why. Is the big reveal cosmic horror? Because the pacing is slow as gently caress sometimes, and I'm starting to think it'll end like your standard teen film.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

mike12345 posted:

I'm starting to think it'll end like your standard teen film.

It definitely doesn't, the last two episodes contain some of the most graphic and harrowing scenes I've ever seen in a teen show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll never love Amazon Prime because it isn't Chromecast capable (which I get, but still) and the interface sucks balls. Like, as long as I have to turn on my Playstation, navigate with the controller, and hope the wireless decides to work well to the game that day I'll never fully appreciate Prime.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'll never love Amazon Prime because it isn't Chromecast capable (which I get, but still) and the interface sucks balls. Like, as long as I have to turn on my Playstation, navigate with the controller, and hope the wireless decides to work well to the game that day I'll never fully appreciate Prime.

...your playstation isn't wired?

But yeah, the interface is really bad. I use my playstation for all my viewing though. It's really convenient.

I am aware that if I was actually concerned with saving power, I would be using some kind of tiny usb stick thing in my tv, but I'm not.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

The first few episodes weren't very compelling. Liz Tyler isn't good and lots of the side characters like the twins are annoying as hell. It builds up to one of the best seasons of TV ever (season 2).

That gives me hope because I'm 4 episodes in to season 1 and the twins/daughter/teens are weighing it down.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

...your playstation isn't wired?

But yeah, the interface is really bad. I use my playstation for all my viewing though. It's really convenient.

I am aware that if I was actually concerned with saving power, I would be using some kind of tiny usb stick thing in my tv, but I'm not.

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to wire the Playstation but its on a secondary TV that's nowhere near the modem and router and I (a) can't move the router to a more convenient place because there's really crummy outlet placements at my place and (b) I don't really want a 50 foot wire draped across 3 rooms just for it.

Maybe I'd do it if I used the internet more on my Playstation, but its literally just the Prime app. I don't even do online gaming much at all. So its just not worth the hassle when almost everything else is just manageable from my phone with the Chromecast.

There's a Firestick on the primary TV so I just watch the occasional Prime thing there when its really an issue, anyway. Of course I hate that I can't just toss a Youtube video or something onto that TV from my phone with ease.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Ok I'm watching 13 Reasons Why. Is the big reveal cosmic horror? Because the pacing is slow as gently caress sometimes, and I'm starting to think it'll end like your standard teen film.

It departs about as far from a teen film as you can possibly get, into like brutal realism and some horror. The plot between the two main characters is kind of like the first act of a romance film, but other things get in the way and it ends very differently.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Why would you need to wire the playstation? I guess maybe if you were streaming something up?

I have 2 and never felt the need.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...do you play games online?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Why would you need to wire the playstation? I guess maybe if you were streaming something up?

I have 2 and never felt the need.

I constantly have videos on Prime that stop because of low bandwith and my thing tells me it randomly disconnects when I'm playing games a lot. I gather that this is a common thing with Playstations and they just have really lovely wireless for some reason. I've seen/heard multiple people say to just wire it up.

But as I said, I don't really game online and I stream everything besides Amazon Prime on Chromecast. So its just not worth the hassle to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

No. But I stream PSVue. I've never had an issue with whatever wireless is in the things. Maybe I'm the outlier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No. it's fine for pretty much everything except latency. So if you aren't playing online multiplayer games, it's not a big deal. The PSN servers are so bad that your DLs take forever either way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never tried PSVue. I know I had a bitch of a time streaming Powers. Way more effort than that show was worth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

To be fair it's the (lazy and boring) way people who don't like The Leftovers criticize it as "bad", to the point where it's basically a meme of how "bad" the show is/was.

Cheers! You just just starting posting here, but you should know that insulting people for their opinions is not good and is in fact bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

No. it's fine for pretty much everything except latency. So if you aren't playing online multiplayer games, it's not a big deal. The PSN servers are so bad that your DLs take forever either way.

Rackspace hosts PSN content, and there's some strong evidence they throttle console downloads.

Shageletic posted:

Cheers! You just just starting posting here, but you should know that insulting people for their opinions is not good and is in fact bad.

No he's been here and terrible for quite a while.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Rackspace hosts PSN content, and there's some strong evidence they throttle console downloads.

No he's been here and terrible for quite a while.

Well consider me corrected.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

less laughter posted:

It definitely doesn't, the last two episodes contain some of the most graphic and harrowing scenes I've ever seen in a teen show.

Jack Gladney posted:

It departs about as far from a teen film as you can possibly get, into like brutal realism and some horror. The plot between the two main characters is kind of like the first act of a romance film, but other things get in the way and it ends very differently.

Ok I'll keep watching, but the build-up is really super-slow. Like ocassionally there are glimpses of some developing horror, but lots of filler/character-building in-between.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

3rd episode of Handmaids Tale is loving brutal.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
this may be early but I'm gonna say it anyway: The Handmaid's Tale is Westworld tier

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

3rd episode of Handmaids Tale is loving brutal.

Why did they do this whole release 3 in one day, and the rest are weekly thing? Especially since--from everything I've heard--it's a more difficult show to watch more than one of at a time.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Longbaugh01 posted:

Why did they do this whole release 3 in one day, and the rest are weekly thing? Especially since--from everything I've heard--it's a more difficult show to watch more than one of at a time.

It's not, I binged all three in one go, was riveted and on the edge of my seat the whole time, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I wish they had released all the epsiodes at once so I woudn't have had to stop watching.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

less laughter posted:

It's not, I binged all three in one go, was riveted and on the edge of my seat the whole time, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I wish they had released all the epsiodes at once so I woudn't have had to stop watching.

Right, but then why didn't they just release either all at once or do the whole thing weekly? Did they think they'd get better traction this way, or what?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Our PS4 is on WiFi and two rooms away from the router and we've never had trouble streaming HD video or playing any online games. It really depends a lot on where you live (in relation to sources of major interference).

Like yeah if you live in an apartment high rise you'll want to plug it in, but if you live in a house probably not so much.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've been watching girlboss and its inoffensively fun and rather lighthearted, barring a few moments. A cute show all around that doesn't take itself that seriously. Why do some people seem to hate it?

main char doesnt have a dick?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Prime addons are the worst. I have like 3 of them now. Amazon Prime has become my favorite streaming service, quickly beating out netflix and hulu over the last year.

My biggest complaint is that the interface of the ps4 app is one of the worst I've ever seen. Well, it was until I saw The CW app on xbox 360. Which doesn't tell you the order of the episodes and doesn't display them in a linear fashion.

Aside from the interface being total garbage, the biggest thing that's missing on amazon prime is the ability to filter search results by "free". On the flip side, it's also nice, when you are looking for one specific thing, to be searching everything at once. I already have to check hulu, netflix, and amazon prime when I want to watch something, but if I had HBO, Starz, and Shudder on seperate apps, that would be 3 more things I'd have to search.

I gotcha beat on this. Amazon Prime on 360 doesn't list the channels at all anymore. They used to have support for *some*, but now, you can't even find the titles they carry, unless they're on a watchlist or you've already started watching (in which case they're on Continue Watching.)

I was thinking of getting an Apple TV or Roku or something but I'd have to find a way to free up more outlets AND more HDMI ports.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

I've never tried PSVue. I know I had a bitch of a time streaming Powers. Way more effort than that show was worth.

Its interface is not great, but it still manages to be the least bad of all the current TV streaming services. It's a shame that the Android TV Live Channel integration thing didn't catch on with most of these services and they're too much in love with their own lovely interfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well gently caress it if no one else is going to post a The Handmaids Tale thread I will do a effort post .

• Locked thread