Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is a big one.

https://twitter.com/SethOnHoops/status/857546332113948672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Simplex posted:

Although they don't really talk politics much, if ever, the politics of guys like Bomani, LeBatard, and Kanell are pretty easy to guess if you listened to their shows for more than 15 minutes. I think it's pretty clearly a case of correlation not causation, but two of those guys are sticking around and one is not, so the politics argument is not completely unsubstantiated.

The only "political" thing Bomani does is acknowledge that racism is a thing that exists and is bad, which does not really seem like a thing that should be considered a political stance. He's not on the radio ranting about rasing taxes on the rich or something

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Grittybeard posted:

It's pretty unsubstantiated if you can only pick 1 guy who was fired out of like 80. I'm sure you can pick more than that out if you study, but ESPN was really just firing a bunch of people and politics has nothing to do with it.

If conservatives want to get mad I guess they can do so about Schilling.

They also get it from racist Clay Travis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I see Rovell is still tweeting about draft day so he somehow survived this purge

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

The only "political" thing Bomani does is acknowledge that racism is a thing that exists and is bad, which does not really seem like a thing that should be considered a political stance. He's not on the radio ranting about rasing taxes on the rich or something

Anything I agree with is not political, anything I disagree with or am uncomfortable talking about is political.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Bo's also been very clear about holding Democrats / white moderates responsible for collective failures to address institutional racism, and I'd guess that Dan's a Libertarian before being a Democrat. They're both just Not Red, which is the most important fact when claiming responsibility for the firings on Twitter and bypassing cord-cutting and increasing league package expenses as other possible reasons.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BrittMcHenry/status/857602447409201155

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dilfer reaction.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I see Rovell is still tweeting about draft day so he somehow survived this purge

Darren Rovell is a sentient brand robot, he tweets until he is unplugged and the battery runs down

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/857611365669851137
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/857612462958538758

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 27, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

This and the tweet about Stephen A at PF Changs are the best things twitter has given us.

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552?lang=en

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

I'll let ESPN speak for themselves here:
http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/831/not-sticking-to-sports-the-right-move-for-espn

quote:

As I wrote in November, the desire to draw a boundary between sports, culture and politics is a fool’s errand. Sports has always intersected with culture and politics. It isn’t a recent phenomenon; it’s been true for more than a century. If you don’t believe that, search the names Jack Johnson, Jim Thorpe, Babe Didrikson Zaharias or Moses Fleetwood Walker. (OK, I helped you out there).

Peoples opinion on things such as paying college players or Colin Kaepernick seem to split largely on political and cultural lines. Even the question of if racism is a thing that is bad splits along political and cultural lines. The point is that ESPN has made the decision that their shows aren't going to spend 3 hours arguing over if a player is "clutch" or not, and are going to tackle more sensitive issues.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm going to miss Ethan Sherwood Strauss. Dude wrote a good feature and Radio Ethan was probably the best part of the TrueHoop podcasts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok so hockey is out, baseball is out, local CFB is out, and some basketball people are out. But we need a 'brand expert'. Alrighty.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're not gonna cut someone who shamelessly sucks the dick of advertisers

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok so hockey is out, baseball is out, local CFB is out, and some basketball people are out. But we need a 'brand expert'. Alrighty.

Yes.

Brand expert is a fancy name for someone who works with advertisers and advertising and considering the affiliate payou are going down the way they are, advertising is going to become even more important.

No one gives a gently caress about hockey, and those that do only care about their team and who their team is playing.

Baseball ditto to the regionality. Large numbers of fans only watch their team. I won't watch ESPN/FS1's baseball games unless the Cubs are playing

Local College football coverage is the same. Just need the SEC and people to cover some of the other conferences and you'll be fine. Bring in beat reporters from local papers to talk if important poo poo happens

NBA you just need to have a reporter for the major markets, and wherever Lebron or other mega superstars are playing and go from there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexo posted:

Yes.

Brand expert is a fancy name for someone who works with advertisers and advertising and considering the affiliate payou are going down the way they are, advertising is going to become even more important.

No one gives a gently caress about hockey, and those that do only care about their team and who their team is playing.

Baseball ditto to the regionality. Large numbers of fans only watch their team. I won't watch ESPN/FS1's baseball games unless the Cubs are playing

Local College football coverage is the same. Just need the SEC and people to cover some of the other conferences and you'll be fine. Bring in beat reporters from local papers to talk if important poo poo happens

NBA you just need to have a reporter for the major markets, and wherever Lebron or other mega superstars are playing and go from there.

I care about hockey in general, and being in Milwaukee means there's no local loyalty for me (though I seem to finally be gravitating to a team). :smith:

Anyway, I completely agree with the two winter sports and baseball being much more localized than the NFL, though that's probably something to do with schedule length than anything else. Hell, with the NFL you could probably move to a divisional reporter, then pay local reporters to help out with beat stuff, maybe reward them with an ATH appearance or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

iospace posted:

I care about hockey in general, and being in Milwaukee means there's no local loyalty for me (though I seem to finally be gravitating to a team). :smith:

Anyway, I completely agree with the two winter sports and baseball being much more localized than the NFL, though that's probably something to do with schedule length than anything else. Hell, with the NFL you could probably move to a divisional reporter, then pay local reporters to help out with beat stuff, maybe reward them with an ATH appearance or something.

And you're a nobody, or I was being hyperbolic. but yeah that was mostly my point.

Most of these sports outside of Football(NFL and SEC and other Big Time College Football factories) are becoming super regionalized.

NBA is regionalized outside of the MVP caliber talents. Baseball and hockey suck at promoting their stars(or their stars don't want to be promoted), though Baseball is getting much better at it as they allow players to have more personality and fun without getting baseballs thrown at their heads.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In case you didn't know, Tony Kornheiser, Gary Williams (the former Maryland basketball coach), Maury Povich (yes THAT ONE), and 2 others bought a neighborhood bar/restaurant in DC a couple months ago.

Kornheiser is going to start doing his podcast from the restaurant on Monday, but notably, he wants to rent the space out to other podcasters. I don't know a single podcast that would want to regularly record in a loving restaurant unless it's from a soundproof room, which they won't have.

Also, Kornheiser's son convinced him to take the mozzarella sticks off the menu, which at a bar is incredibly dumb and especially pisses me off since it's my favorite bar food along with nachos and wings. Every Yelp review since they took over has been negative about the changes, and they all mention the mozzarella stick issue.

Also LOL that he plugs trivia night on Mondays but didn't plug going there to watch the draft tonight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy christ i would be buried in a loving mountain of nickels if i had one every time a goddamn coach, former athlete, or other public official thought opening a restaurant was a goddamn good idea

I guarantee that place is sold or closed down within a year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brett Favre opened a place up in Green Bay and down in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee one lasted a few years before shuttering, but I remember my parents complaining about the cost.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mike Shanahan has a super upscale steakhouse in Denver called Shanahan's that supposedly does fairly well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Resturants aren't the worst idea in the world but you have to have competent management which is where it falls apart.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJExile posted:

holy christ i would be buried in a loving mountain of nickels if i had one every time a goddamn coach, former athlete, or other public official thought opening a restaurant was a goddamn good idea

Are they actually owning the restaurant, or just getting paid to use their name? The latter is pretty much the only smart option. Although Ditka has a few restaurants in the Chicagoland area that seem to do well. Normal steakhouse, general American food kind of places.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are they actually owning the restaurant, or just getting paid to use their name? The latter is pretty much the only smart option. Although Ditka has a few restaurants in the Chicagoland area that seem to do well. Normal steakhouse, general American food kind of places.
In Kornheiser's case, they actually bought the bar/restaurant and they've changed the name from Chad's (formerly Chadwick's) to Chatter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Is she the one who went crazy at a towing place or something a while back?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Josh Lyman posted:

In Kornheiser's case, they actually bought the bar/restaurant and they've changed the name from Chad's (formerly Chadwick's) to Chatter.

Dan Steinberg poked a pretty funny hole in the origin story of the new name

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/856570040749109249

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/856570346996215808

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

He jokes frequently about how it's going to be a money pit. I doubt people will use it for podcasting. all of the other guys involved are filthy rich so I guess it doesnt matter

edit: you weren't joking about the mozzarella stick complaints. The yelp page is amazing

BWV fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 27, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Is she the one who went crazy at a towing place or something a while back?

Yes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah, I was listening to that episode and thought the quote sounded strange.

Didn't bother to look it up thought. Kornheiser you lying liar!!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

In OOTP you constantly get e-mails letting you know that current ballplayers have just opened a sports bar. I thought it was a goofy joke until I found out how many players have invested in something like that.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 27, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In OOTP you constantly get e-mails letting you know that current ballplayers have just opened a sports bar. I thought it was a goofy joke until I found out how many players have invested in something like that.

I'm a financial planner for the day job and holy gently caress we see this sooooooooo goddamn often.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically every sports league should have a seminar on financial responsibility and business investments, with a special panel titled "Don't Listen To Your Cousin, He's a loving Moron."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Back to broadcasting, because people pranking Mike Francesa will never not be funny:
https://twitter.com/SportsFunhouse/status/857672150735630336

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dexo posted:

Yes.

I mean you say that but if nobody gives a gently caress about Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, Football, or Car Racing, why would an advertiser give money to a sports network?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

Back to broadcasting, because people pranking Mike Francesa will never not be funny:
https://twitter.com/SportsFunhouse/status/857672150735630336

It's better when someone asks a legit question and he just doesn't know actual players and thinks he's being pranked though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I can't find the clip, but when kind of famous BBC Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles announced he was stepping down from his show, he asked his listeners to send out as many prank texts from pun laden names as they possibly could to local or national radio, just to see if people wouldn't clock on that they were in fact just doing it to make the DJs look stupid. One sent a text message into, I think Talksport under the pseudonym Toby Le Rone (Toblerone being a chocolate bar). The presenters not only clocked on that they had been pranked but then went on an extended rant about people sending in prank texts. Of course Moyles then played out they whole rant on his show

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I want Stephen A Smith to work for ESPN forever after I saw him get pumped up on some A-Rod story. "You BETTER know that I'm serious because these are MY YANKEES we're talking about here!"

As someone who didn't watch baseball in the 2000s, I was only ever informed that two baseball teams exist: Yankees and Red Sox. They're starting to focus on Giants/Dodgers a lot since there's superstars and recent titles involved. But I never want to see a west coast version of the hype that rivalry gets. Pretending the entire loving country gives a poo poo about New York and Boston sums up ESPN's problems in covering sports in such a succinct fashion. May it never change.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

There's other firings that won't be confirmed via their own tweets

Such as

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/857728806081122304

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I want Stephen A Smith to work for ESPN forever after I saw him get pumped up on some A-Rod story. "You BETTER know that I'm serious because these are MY YANKEES we're talking about here!"

As someone who didn't watch baseball in the 2000s, I was only ever informed that two baseball teams exist: Yankees and Red Sox. They're starting to focus on Giants/Dodgers a lot since there's superstars and recent titles involved. But I never want to see a west coast version of the hype that rivalry gets. Pretending the entire loving country gives a poo poo about New York and Boston sums up ESPN's problems in covering sports in such a succinct fashion. May it never change.

honestly, Stephen A. without sound is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao at Max Kellerman's face.