Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Obamacare is a federal insurance program subsidized by rich people taxes. It just doesn't have a public option. A public insurance option wouldn't stop Wall Street from indefinitely profiting from sick people, though.

It would limit it. Which is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I don't disagree. If private companies don't provide sufficient plans for the exchanges, the government will have no choice but to offer a public option, or to just nationalize the whole thing. I would not be surprised if Obama makes exactly that point.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Do insurance companies even care about that.

Aetna pulled out of profitable markets in order to hurt Obama on purpose because his FCC didn't approve their merger.

It seems to me that insurance companies care a lot more about getting Republicans elected because that's good for next year's profits, and not so much about their long-term profitability because that's some other future CEO's problem.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't disagree. If private companies don't provide sufficient plans for the exchanges, the government will have no choice but to offer a public option, or to just nationalize the whole thing. I would not be surprised if Obama makes exactly that point.

Can't wait to see a transcript or the video so we can find out!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ze Pollack posted:

"Things ARE getting better!"

"Sure, wages outside the top 20% have been static for thirty years while health costs have only risen, democrats have lost all voice in federal government, our infrastructure is crumbling, our education is falling apart, ocean levels are rising, fascism's resurgent, and American foreign policy is dependent on what the last person on Fox News said, but the finance industry is doing great, so that cancels out all that other poo poo."

"Why does the democratic party keep losing elections btw"

Hey now, come on, the median wage hasn't been static for the past decade... adjusted for inflation, it's actually gone down.

And that's before you account for the fact that the amount of money stolen from workers annually in the form of wage theft now exceeds the total amount stolen in all other forms of theft combined.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sorry fellas false alarm lol

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/857422428775043072

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

gtrmp posted:

And that's before you account for the fact that the amount of money stolen from workers annually in the form of wage theft now exceeds the total amount stolen in all other forms of theft combined.

Wait, what? Could I get a cite for that?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So will the democrats vote yes on tax cuts? Seems like a quagmire if they were to vote no. Everyone hates taxes, so tax cuts are a great public opinion spinner. It seems likely that this tax reform may create a masive influx of consumer spending, i mean im buying a loving house the day after these cuts come. How many people would upgrade their standard of livinging with 15% more $$

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

LeoMarr posted:

So will the democrats vote yes on tax cuts? Seems like a quagmire if they were to vote no. Everyone hates taxes, so tax cuts are a great public opinion spinner. It seems likely that this tax reform may create a masive influx of consumer spending, i mean im buying a loving house the day after these cuts come. How many people would upgrade their standard of livinging with 15% more $$
I'm going to use the tax savings to buy some saplings I can plant and later harvest for timber to be made into guillotines.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LeoMarr posted:

lmao enjoy your tax increase when you can't write off state and local

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Kilroy posted:

I'm going to use the tax savings to buy some saplings I can plant and later harvest for timber to be made into guillotines.

Pff, land-owning bougie bastard

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Oh yeah, and the tax cuts are almost certainly going to balloon the deficit, which led to further cuts more than the ones that are planned (in all honesty they will probably be directed to SS/Medicare). Then you always have the looming possibility of another incoming recession in a year or two.

So you got the Democrats actively trying to sabotage portions of their own party, Obama taking "not-a-bribe" from Wall Street and Trump laying the ground for a future catastrophe 2-3 years from now. Yeah, American politics are completely salvageable.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ardennes posted:

Oh yeah, and the tax cuts are almost certainly going to balloon the deficit, which led to further cuts more than the ones that are planned (in all honesty they will probably be directed to SS/Medicare). Then you always have the looming possibility of another incoming recession in a year or two.

So you got the Democrats actively trying to sabotage portions of their own party, Obama taking "not-a-bribe" from Wall Street and Trump laying the ground for a future catastrophe 2-3 years from now. Yeah, American politics are completely salvageable.

So he was playing 12 dimensional chess after all, to get ultra wealthy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gohmak posted:

So he was playing 12 dimensional chess after all, to get ultra wealthy.

i wouldn't call shielding bankers from prosecution for 8 years and trying to gut social security 12 dimensional chess. he's certainly a lot smarter than hillary though cause he realized he had to hide his vile ideology or he wouldn't get elected

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Condiv posted:

i wouldn't call shielding bankers from prosecution for 8 years and trying to gut social security 12 dimensional chess. he's certainly a lot smarter than hillary though cause he realized he had to hide his vile ideology or he wouldn't get elected

The main difference between Obama and Hillary is that when someone says "voters won't care if you do this, just do it and then stonewall until the reporters stop asking about it" Obama doesn't listen

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama is also able to pull off dumb jokes and stuff while Hillary comes off mega awkward whenever she tries to be funny or connect with the kids at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao enjoy your tax increase when you can't write off state and local

When the democrats do this theyll lose another 200 seats in local governances.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kilroy posted:

Save some for spikes so we can display the severed heads.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Worked for Justin Trudeau.

(I voted NDP :ussr: )

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Can't wait to see a transcript or the video so we can find out!

Yeah, the defense of Obama doing this rests entirely on supposition. It's not a terribly convincing case, and no matter what he said to them, it's still a bad look.

That said, if this turns out to just be a one-off thing for Obama, I think he'll still be able to play a constructive role in rebuilding the party going forward.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
My favorite part about the report that Trump is about to pull out of NAFTA is watching neo-cons and third way centrist New Democrats publically squirm at the thought.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/26/white-house-nafta-withdraw-trump-237632

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
How many politicians willing to speak to folks from Wall Street for fat stacks of cash only do it once, though? I might be totally incorrect, but it seems like a well that is repeatedly dipped into.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

My favorite part about the report that Trump is about to pull out of NAFTA is watching neo-cons and third way centrist New Democrats publically squirm at the thought.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/26/white-house-nafta-withdraw-trump-237632

He's said he's not going to do it, at least for now. Which is A Good Thing, because A, we need to renegotiate, not completely withdraw from it; and B, Trump is a Faulknerian idiot manchild who shouldn't be negotiating anything of consequence.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

How many politicians willing to speak to folks from Wall Street for fat stacks of cash only do it once, though? I might be totally incorrect, but it seems like a well that is repeatedly dipped into.
Just doing it once seems like a really bizarre outcome. It looks like a direct admission it was a bad idea, and it's not like 400k is enough money to pull an ends justify the means argument. You can't act surprised that giving a speech to a sympathetic audience was somehow a bunch of work. Literally the only reason I can imagine to only do it once is that you're an idiot that didn't realize actions have consequences, you do it once and notice a drop in some polling and then stop purely because of optics. Which is pretty bad optics.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 27, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I don't know how people have faith that political reform is possible. It really is just faith, too, as there are very few indicators of reform being feasible through typical political channels.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I don't know how people have faith that political reform is possible. It really is just faith, too, as there are very few indicators of reform being feasible through typical political channels.

There are avenues towards reform that involve violence (e.g. Eat The Rich), but I think we can all agree that before taking this route, we should stick to the accepted political method of telling people to kill themselves on line

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

The best case scenario would be a relatively bloodless revolt where the population just refuses to cooperate anymore.

I do have to say "traditional" forms of activism and involvement though the mainstream of the Democratic Party or organizations that back it may actively be counter-productive at this point. I don't see anything changing really meaningful changing through our ballot boxes. Hell, even the argument that we need to keep the whole system going is getting pretty weak since the democrats refuse to win elections at this point.

It is pretty stomach turning at this point to go back to election-day 2008 and watch those crowds in Chicago, pretty much ever bit of optimism was responded to with completely cynicism and greed.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Seeing people defend the obama speech thing is surreal. It's payment for services rendered to the financial services industry plain and simple, and anyone denying it is a shill or up their own woke rear end to an insane extent.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
There's people on twitter defending it on woke terms ("you want a black man to work for free? that's slavery!").

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It must be weird to be so woke you forget that intersectionality exists.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Wuhao posted:

I'm considering picking the book up, sounds neat. What kind of advice did Bill offer?

"Talk to white working class people"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"Pretend the working class actually matters."

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
bill basically was being old school politics who relies on "instincts" and talking to people to figure out public opinion, whereas Hillary's team relied on models for everything

The middle ground is polling, but Mook was super nervous about money even though he literally had like 100s millions so he didn't poll the rustbelt states enough before election day because the models were suppose to substitute for polls and feels, and yeah the models turned out to be wrong

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

It must be weird to be so woke you forget that intersectionality exists.

Intersectionality is yet another academic term the Internet misuses all the time

It's supposed to mean "I need to remember that there are all kinds of issues and disadvantaged groups in the world, and privilege is a complex multidimensional system"

it is frequently used to mean "you, the person I am talking to, need to stop whining about your poo poo and pay more attention to my poo poo"

y'know, the opposite of its intended meaning

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

The best case scenario would be a relatively bloodless revolt where the population just refuses to cooperate anymore.

I do have to say "traditional" forms of activism and involvement though the mainstream of the Democratic Party or organizations that back it may actively be counter-productive at this point. I don't see anything changing really meaningful changing through our ballot boxes. Hell, even the argument that we need to keep the whole system going is getting pretty weak since the democrats refuse to win elections at this point.

This.

America's population is going to either get poo poo on forever otherwise.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2017

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Private citizen Barack Obama is free to make $400,000 speeches to wall st. He's also free to punch the Democratic Party in the dick that is currently suffering an image problem of being a bunch of corporate shills, and that is what he is doing.

Obama said he wanted to develop the next generation of leaders within the party, and taking a burlap sack full of corporate
Money undermines that goal, unless of course that's what the democrats really stand for.

It is

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tekz posted:

Seeing people defend the obama speech thing is surreal.

Especially with arguments so illogical and insane that it makes you doubt your own sanity to read them.

Like the "the more evil someone is, the better it is for politicians to get on their payroll because by getting on the take they're impoverishing the most evil people in the world" argument. Every time I see it I have to reread it a few times because I'm briefly afraid I've gone mad and my brain is just hallucinating those words, but no somehow another sentient human being actually believes this or at least is willing to pretend to on the internet rather than admit their team is doing something bad.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 28, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
But the banks payed all that money back. With interest!

What a coworker told me today

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's very easy to understand the "he's making them poorer" when you realize that the neoliberal mindset isn't that employees create wealth but that they're actually a burden that the capitalist class is being charitable to let leech on their profits. It's just rare for liberals to tap into that so openly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's very easy to understand the "he's making them poorer" when you realize that the neoliberal mindset isn't that employees create wealth but that they're actually a burden that the capitalist class is being charitable to let leech on their profits. It's just rare for liberals to tap into that so openly.

Huh, I never really considered that but it does make a lot of positions make much more sense.

• Locked thread