Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

quote:

My son has been in bad shape since then and my wife is furious with me.

Draw a penis on his forehead and send him to school, that'll learn him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That one is entirely his fault. I never practice my talks but I at least go through the slides and make sure the figures look right before I get up and give it. For such an important thing only looking at the text was wildly irresponsible.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Grandma killer:

quote:

Lots of thoughts that I'd go to Hell for murder.

She was 82 and you were in your early twenties. You weren't around for the majority of her life, so who knows what kind of trouble she got up to? For all you know you might see her there!

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That one is entirely his fault. I never practice my talks but I at least go through the slides and make sure the figures look right before I get up and give it. For such an important thing only looking at the text was wildly irresponsible.

Lol what? Seems like this was entirely his son's fault. A reasonable person wouldn't feel the need to review a file that they worked on just a few hours prior just in case it was tampered with.

Hell even if he had caught it before giving the presentation the son deserved an rear end whooping.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

tesilential posted:

Lol what? Seems like this was entirely his son's fault. A reasonable person wouldn't feel the need to review a file that they worked on just a few hours prior just in case it was tampered with.

Hell even if he had caught it before giving the presentation the son deserved an rear end whooping.

You're joking, right?

But seriously, I love how all these fake confessions find clever ways to work in, "Well, because of Asperger's" somewhere towards the middle or end after giving a nearly credible opening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
13 is pretty old to spank someone

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

tesilential posted:

It deserved a lecture on how important work stuff is, but that's all. Any responsible person goes over their presentation one last time before getting up and giving it. It's not to make sure it wasn't tampered with, it's to make sure there aren't any mistakes you can correct at the last minute that may have been missed before.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kid needs a lecture about boundaries and professionalism, needs to be made aware of how badly he screwed over his dad and his family for the sake of a joke that wasn't even funny, and needs to be grounded for a good long time, but spanking him at 13 years old is gonna send the wrong message (that message being "your father is your enemy now")

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

It deserved a lecture on how important work stuff is, but that's all. Any responsible person goes over their presentation one last time before getting up and giving it. It's not to make sure it wasn't tampered with, it's to make sure there aren't any mistakes you can correct at the last minute that may have been missed before.

It's also the year 2017. The text of a presentation is way, way less important than the pictures and graphs, etc. That you would do a dry run without those is totally baffling.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

dickgoon make your son eat his lunchbox full of dick drawings like that kid from superbad

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Nah, the kid should be punished, just not physically.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

I glossed over the kid being 13, he should know better by now. Maybe the problem was not enough spankings when he was younger.

Seriously tho I'm not a big fan of corporal punishment and hope to avoid using it on my own children, but imo a huge problem in this world is kids grow up unaccountable and don't give a gently caress anymore. Behaving appropriately out of fear of the consequences is kinda how society works. I didn't even curse in front of my parents until after 18 just in case, lol.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The way that first one is written makes me think it's the same writer as that one dad goon one a couple days ago where his son ran away. It has the same annoying tendency in the first couple paragraphs to start sentences with verbs without pronouns. If you're going to send in fake ones at least vary the writing style.

That can be a typical sign of people who are not native speakers or that someone is mentally making a list of bullet points but forming full sentences "on paper".

Grandma-goon: You should talk to a therapist if you have continuing nightmares. You can probably be honest with them, as you technically only gave your grandma the pill bottle, which isn't illegal (plus I think they are not allowed to say anything anyway, check beforehand to be sure).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Panfilo posted:

tesilential posted:

I glossed over the kid being 13, he should know better by now. Maybe the problem was not enough spankings when he was younger.

Seriously tho I'm not a big fan of corporal punishment and hope to avoid using it on my own children, but imo a huge problem in this world is kids grow up unaccountable and don't give a gently caress anymore. Behaving appropriately out of fear of the consequences is kinda how society works. I didn't even curse in front of my parents until after 18 just in case, lol.

Assuming we take this confession at face value, the kid literally suffers from a mental disability. Physical punishment is out of the question from the get-go because seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you and punishment probably isn't the best approach regardless. That doesn't mean that the situation shouldn't be addressed and proper behavior explained and modeled, but we're not dealing with a normal 13 year old.

And if it were just a "typical" 13 year old, a far more important question is, "Why does the kid think this is appropriate behavior in the first place?" and that's way more important than making sure the kid knows he did something bad.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
(aside) GRANDMA: I don't want to live here, in this fetid pit, so my grandson I shall make think I've lost my wit. A plea for help, though quite grim! Then surely my grandson will let me live with him!

buckets of buckets fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 27, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

loquacius posted:

spanking him at 13 years old is gonna send the wrong message (that message being "your father is your enemy now")

Also that violence is in appropriate reaction to things you don't approve of.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hopper posted:

That can be a typical sign of people who are not native speakers or that someone is mentally making a list of bullet points but forming full sentences "on paper".

Maybe, it just struck me as being very similar where the first paragraph or two was written that way and then transitioned into normal person syntax.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

tesilential posted:

Ima run for pres on my HIT KIDS MORE, MAKE EM SCARED platform fix society's big problems

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tesilential posted:

I was never hit by my parents and didn't get as much as a detention in school. There are plenty of punishments that don't require hitting your kids to be effective

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe the fact that people only do things out of fear of the consequences is why our society is completely hosed up and rotting from the inside out though

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Love your kids? Prove it by beating them!

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 28, 2017

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

Maybe the fact that people only do things out of fear of the consequences is why our society is completely hosed up and rotting from the inside out though

Or maybe it's because we make excuses for everyone who screws up and don't actually help them improve.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Violence is cool and good and is an ideal solution to most problems, but violence towards children is objectively bad, because it's been shown to negatively affect psychological development, and violent punishment doesn't provide anything that non-violent punishment doesn't as well. Stick to brutalizing fellow adults!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think kid-beating is one of those things like hazing that was invented by an anonymous sadist centuries ago and persists because people think since they had it done to them they should get to do it too

Whenever someone defends the idea they will inevitably say "My dad whooped my rear end every week for 18 years and I turned out okay", you can set your watch to it

buckets of buckets posted:

(aside) GRANDMA: I don't want to live here, in this fetid pit, so my grandson I shall make think I've lost my wit. A plea for help, though quite grim! Then surely my grandson will let me live with him!

the problem with this idea is that she was still the person who poured out a big double-handful of pills and put them into her mouth with a giant gulp of water

If it was a ploy she was pretty admirably committed to the ploy

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

tesilential posted:

Or maybe it's because we make excuses for everyone who screws up and don't actually help them improve.

This is actually true except the people who are allowed to screw up repeatedly whole everyone else makes excuses for them are way less "literal autistic children" and way more "old rich white men" for whom part of their mistakes usually do include beating children, and just like you're doing now, people keep making excuses for it!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I was spanked a few times but I dont think it really changed me for better or worse :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

loquacius posted:

I think kid-beating is one of those things like hazing that was invented by an anonymous sadist centuries ago and persists because people think since they had it done to them they should get to do it too

Whenever someone defends the idea they will inevitably say "My dad whooped my rear end every week for 18 years and I turned out okay", you can set your watch to it

And 99% of the time the people who say that didn't turn out okay and are just in denial about it.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The thing that gets me is how petty the stuff he's claiming is. Usually when people embezzle they go big and take as much as they can and leave before anyone finds out, not just use it to get free gas and groceries.

I say go all out, get reimbursed for a ferrari or two and then flee the country. At least then you'll be remembered as the guy who stole hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of the guy who took 60 bucks once a week or so. I know you're thinking "but they'll notice that and I'll get caught", but, well, as has been said repeatedly, that's already the case.
Yeah, this guy might as well go big because it's a question of when not if this gets discovered. It may well be that because the system auto approves this stuff that there is a periodical auditing and reconciliation of that account anyway.

Really you ought to either bill legitimate work expenses, or just go nuts and bill stuff that's obviously CEO level poo poo. That's the only way you'd have any chance of flying under the radar, until such time as the CEO also bills a plush hotel or first class flight at the same time for a different location, etc.

Bit pointless being on the hook for embezzlement, which is surely likely to be the case already, and is unsalvageable anyway since he has already billed a random car payment, and thus passed the bar for "I know this is not legit", etc, without it being something worth doing time for.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 27, 2017

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I think the key point y'all are missing is that autism isn't real. If spergs knew they'd catch an rear end whupping every time they try some 'tismy bullshit you best believe we'd have more neurotypicals around, and fewer Sonic games.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

loquacius posted:

the problem with this idea is that she was still the person who poured out a big double-handful of pills and put them into her mouth with a giant gulp of water
Well of course she did, her grandchild responded to her clever plot by handing her the materials necessary for suicide. I bet the coroner ruled cause of death to be a broken heart.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

loquacius posted:

I think it depends on the individual kid, and how effective the non-violent punishments are. I'll be that person I guess, but it wasn't my dad, it was my mom. There's a difference between "beating" and "spanking" and it is important to make the distinction. I don't believe in beating, but I do believe in spanking. I wouldn't say she "whooped my rear end every week" but I got appropriate spankings when I obviously misbehaved, and only after I proved that grounding me was not effective. I don't consider it abuse because it was never a "beating" it was simply a spanking on my butt, she never struck me anywhere else, and never with anything but an open hand. There was never a doubt in my mind about why I was being spanked, and it was never excessive. I feel it was used very sparingly; I had to really gently caress up to get a spanking.

Grounding me was ineffective, as was taking away my toys and other belongings. My mom would "ground" me and I'd just take a nap and feel no punishment. I'd always get my toys back eventually, so I never feared being grounded, it was just a minor inconvenience. Spanking kept me in line, but obviously the punishment has to be proportional. If I got a literal beating around my entire body for just forgetting a simple chore that would be pretty excessive and I wouldn't learn anything. But if I got a spanking for getting into a fight with the neighbor's kid and breaking one of his toys? That's a lot more reasonable.

I felt like it worked for me, but maybe I'm just a hosed up individual? Honestly, who isn't a little hosed up in some way?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

got any sevens posted:

I was spanked a few times but I dont think it really changed me for better or worse :shrug:

I got caned in school, more than once, and I turned into a hair-trigger temper anti-authoritarian thug. I think beating children is a bad idea, unless you want to ruin their lives, in which case go for it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There could be a punishment appropriate for a 13 kid. Revoke access to video games and the Internet for a reasonable amount of time.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Disgusting Coward posted:

I think the key point y'all are missing is that autism isn't real. If spergs knew they'd catch an rear end whupping every time they try some 'tismy bullshit you best believe we'd have more neurotypicals around, and fewer Sonic games.

Admittedly, this is kinda my mentality towards it.

When I was like 8, my mom's friend's son was 6 and had bad autistm. You could look him in the face and talk and he would have no idea you were talking and especially not to him. He would randomly have episodes and bite chunks of flesh out of other kids. We were all terrified of that little animal lol. So yeah I believe Autism is definitely real, but I also feel that probably way more kids are diagnosed with it (and ADD/ADHD and other behaviorial problems) than actually have it. And it's not that more beatings would fix this, just better parenting in general.

One of my buddies had his kid diagnosed with Autism when he was like 3 months. Now I don't know if he has it or not but IMO maybe treating him like a weird outcast from the start is not the way to go.

Literally half of my high school friends were diagnosed with Aspergers or ADHD when in reality they were all just lazy potheads who didn't want to own up to their own failures.

Sorry for the off topic rant, I am super bored at work.

This is the right answer:

Panfilo posted:

There could be a punishment appropriate for a 13 kid. Revoke access to video games and the Internet for a reasonable amount of time.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 27, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pearnicious posted:

I don't consider it abuse because it was never a "beating" it was simply a spanking on my butt, she never struck me anywhere else, and never with anything but an open hand.

Ah, just like ma used to say. No fists, no problem.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

This unlikely number entering poo poo reminds me of the one time many many moons ago I wanted to install Starcraft from CD (like I said, a long time ago) and when it prompted me for a serial I had but was not in reach I just halfhearteldy entered something random and the installer accepted it on the first try. Tried that again with that installer and many other things over the years, never managed to do it again. What are possibly the chances?

10%

http://stackoverflow.com/a/3050217

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Pearnicious posted:

I think it depends on the individual kid, and how effective the non-violent punishments are. I'll be that person I guess, but it wasn't my dad, it was my mom. There's a difference between "beating" and "spanking" and it is important to make the distinction. I don't believe in beating, but I do believe in spanking. I wouldn't say she "whooped my rear end every week" but I got appropriate spankings when I obviously misbehaved, and only after I proved that grounding me was not effective. I don't consider it abuse because it was never a "beating" it was simply a spanking on my butt, she never struck me anywhere else, and never with anything but an open hand. There was never a doubt in my mind about why I was being spanked, and it was never excessive. I feel it was used very sparingly; I had to really gently caress up to get a spanking.

Grounding me was ineffective, as was taking away my toys and other belongings. My mom would "ground" me and I'd just take a nap and feel no punishment. I'd always get my toys back eventually, so I never feared being grounded, it was just a minor inconvenience. Spanking kept me in line, but obviously the punishment has to be proportional. If I got a literal beating around my entire body for just forgetting a simple chore that would be pretty excessive and I wouldn't learn anything. But if I got a spanking for getting into a fight with the neighbor's kid and breaking one of his toys? That's a lot more reasonable.

I felt like it worked for me, but maybe I'm just a hosed up individual? Honestly, who isn't a little hosed up in some way?

How do you reconcile the fact that studies universally show that spanking is bad, emotionally stunts children and on average children that were spanked have lower intelligence?

Oh but because your mom spanked you it's good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

kazr posted:

How do you reconcile the fact that studies universally show that spanking is bad, emotionally stunts children and on average children that were spanked have lower intelligence?

It's a denial thing I think. It's a combination of wanting to believe their parents loved them and just were doing what was necessary while also thinking they are special+well adjusted.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

kazr posted:

Well you're a bit of an asshat, aren't you? Didn't I say that maybe I'm a bit hosed up? I never said I was the most 100% well adjusted person ever in the history of the universe, so get off your high horse dude.

I'm just saying that in my opinion, sometimes spanking isn't the worst thing ever. All I can refer to are my own experiences, and in my experience, none of my mom's non-violent punishments had an effect on me. There's lots of variables to consider. Maybe she wasn't using the right kind of non-violent punishments. Maybe she failed to follow through on those punishments for a long enough period of time. Lots of things to consider. But what I know from my own personal experience is that yes, spanking was an effective form of punishment for me when it was not excessive and used sparingly.

Oh, but because you read a study on the internet my personal experience isn't at all valuable to me. Right? Obviously I'm emotionally stunted, have lower intelligence, and am just generally a bad person all around because my mom lightly spanked me a few times when I was being a little poo poo head.

I have a great relationship with my mom to this day, sorry to burst your bubble.

Did...did your mom beat you? What's your deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I'm fairly confident I can take any 3-12 year old you send at me