Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

power botton posted:

A nice 2 bedroom in Hoboken will run you 800 to a million so its not like its affordable either. EZ commute depending on where you work in Manhattan tho.
i've been here 10 years though so cost is already normalized. it's 45 minutes door to work in midtown.

i want a house and yard that's not in jersey so that's why i'm looking elsewhere. dc and boston areas leading contenders that can maintain or increase figgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

dc sucks

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

mishaq posted:

dc sucks

bc ftw

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Cocoa Crispies posted:

have you been running explain?

yeah, I'm still getting the hang of interpreting EXPLAIN ANALYZE and that's where the idea of using a subquery came from.

but it's not like it tells me why it decided to do this thing instead of the other thing that I expected. it just says it did the thing.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
your case is why explain exists
dbs are written by humans and have limited engineering effort devoted to them.

some are also just plain bad.
e.g. mysql is notoriously garbage at subqueries/relational calc. it would often run the inner query on every row joined to the outer query instead of doing the inner query once.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

it's not as terrible as expected but i'm still noping out of that inquiry. even a 50% increase on deece 6 doesn't justify moving cross-country to live amongst the strip malls.

South bay is the worst part of the bay area

Unless youre including Stockton i guess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just had two break up phone calls with companies that said they couldn't match my current compensation. lol at a startup asking me to walk away from half my total comp for their worthless shares.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

did you ask them if the worthless equity was actual real equity or the super diluted extra worthless shares that's all the rage these days

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

did you ask them if the worthless equity was actual real equity or the super diluted extra worthless shares that's all the rage these days

I didn't bother. the other was a public company with its shares in the toilet. felt bad for the recruiter because she just couldn't give away enough to make it worth anything even if it doubles.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

The Management posted:

I didn't bother. the other was a public company with its shares in the toilet. felt bad for the recruiter because she just couldn't give away enough to make it worth anything even if it doubles.

snapchat lookin rough

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, so far I've had to pass on three companies because the salary was too low. First time this has happened to me in my career.

Does this mean we've arrived or that there's more garbage companies in the world?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Yeah, so far I've had to pass on three companies because the salary was too low. First time this has happened to me in my career.

Does this mean we've arrived or that there's more garbage companies in the world?

it means everyone is overpaid and i hope you havent allowed your lifestyle to inflate to your current salary for the upcoming correction :getin:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FamDav posted:

snapchat lookin rough

Nah, Snapchat offered me a huge pile of money. But the wife doesn't want to move to LA. so that didn't work out.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

it means everyone is overpaid and i hope you havent allowed your lifestyle to inflate to your current salary for the upcoming correction :getin:

:guinness:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Rudest Buddhist posted:

that's why I'm trying remote jobs for now, but any local interviews are going to be problematic for this exact reason

I hate where I'm at, but I don't want to climb slowly back up to dece figgies again

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mishaq posted:

too late

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i live in a tiny rear end town in a tiny rear end country. it's not exactly a bustling tech hub, but i'm compensated reasonably well (by local standards, lol). i'm worried that there's actually nowhere i can go to get reasonably more figgies

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i loving love figgies

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
six figgie newtons

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

redleader posted:

i live in a tiny rear end town in a tiny rear end country. it's not exactly a bustling tech hub, but i'm compensated reasonably well (by local standards, lol). i'm worried that there's actually nowhere i can go to get reasonably more figgies

my problem is that sort of HUGE FIGGIES i have no interest in living in the bay, but programming jobs in less insane areas are often just a matter of keeping some legacy system or another chugging along. which is valuable work but not really uplifting to do.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

my problem is that sort of HUGE FIGGIES i have no interest in living in the bay, but programming jobs in less insane areas are often just a matter of keeping some legacy system or another chugging along. which is valuable work but not really uplifting to do.

i too find working on next app to connect people that produce excess gas with people who love sniffing farts to be uplifting

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Diva Cupcake posted:

i've been here 10 years though so cost is already normalized. it's 45 minutes door to work in midtown.

i want a house and yard that's not in jersey so that's why i'm looking elsewhere. dc and boston areas leading contenders that can maintain or increase figgies.

I'm looking on Long Island right now (family and friends are there) and it's a goddamn nightmare.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm looking on Long Island right now (family and friends are there) and it's a goddamn nightmare.

Long Island, while generally "nice" suburbs is also a loving hellhole, just move to the 5 boroughs like any sane person would, enjoy the figgie increase

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Share Bear posted:

Long Island, while generally "nice" suburbs is also a loving hellhole, just move to the 5 boroughs like any sane person would, enjoy the figgie increase

I live in Western Queens. It's fine and the food is good and it's a reasonably short commute but I want a yard and Spring/Summer/Fall is great on Long Island. I grew up there on the south shore. we're looking in Huntington on the north shore and its pretty cool there and about an hour to Penn.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

yeah if you want a yard for under half a mill you need to commute from like stony brook.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

yeah if you want a yard for under half a millie you need to commute from like stony brook.

Nope, everything is under 5 in htown. Hell, you can find that in parts of Nassau too. just stay away from the south shore because its going to be underwater.

E: ok, not everything but there's some decent stuff under 5

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I live in Western Queens. It's fine and the food is good and it's a reasonably short commute but I want a yard and Spring/Summer/Fall is great on Long Island. I grew up there on the south shore. we're looking in Huntington on the north shore and its pretty cool there and about an hour to Penn.

oh ok then, if youre happy with it

i reverse commuted from brooklyn to mineola for a bit, and i honestly was never more depressed as an adult during that time

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Share Bear posted:

oh ok then, if youre happy with it

i reverse commuted from brooklyn to mineola for a bit, and i honestly was never more depressed as an adult during that time

im not happy about the cost of the lirr and the taxes but it is what it is if I want to put my feet in the grass for 5 months a year!

E: and yeah that south shore strip from Lindenhurst to rockville center is garbage

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

i recommend the seattle area

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

six figgie newtons

dont post smoka's salary

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Rudest Buddhist posted:

there was a story in the local news the other day about how restaurants just can't find anyone who would work for $11/hour anymore and don't you feel sorry for the poor small business owners.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
found it: http://kxan.com/2017/04/26/austin-employers-struggling-to-find-workers-who-will-take-less-than-15hour/

god drat we can't just raise our prices and maybe pay them more what is this world coming to????

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so if the interviewer says your logic in a problem was perfect that's good right?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

yeah, I'm still getting the hang of interpreting EXPLAIN ANALYZE and that's where the idea of using a subquery came from.

but it's not like it tells me why it decided to do this thing instead of the other thing that I expected. it just says it did the thing.

here is basically what it does. all queries break down into certain steps, following the sql order of execution: read some sources of data (usually tables), combine them together with joins, group and sort if necessary, then project out the columns you selected. but your query doesn't say exactly how to compute the answer, it's more declarative. at each step the db has many choices. when reading data from a table it could do a seq scan, or an index scan, or maybe a bitmap index scan, or even some type of parallel scan. to join it could use hash tables, merge joins, nested loops. grouping and sorting can be done many ways too, and different choices are appropriate for different scenarios. even across queries with the same structure, different parameter values could change the plan, you can't tell just by looking at the query.

to figure out the best execution plan, the planner keeps track of some data statistics for table columns. like it knows % of null, distinct value count, most common values, etc. see the pg_stats view. these stats get populated and updated by the analyze command. there are also some baseline constants that define the relative cost of low level operations, e.g. seq_page_cost is the cost to read a page in a seq scan and defaults to 1. compare with cpu_index_tuple_cost which is 0.005. these are the "units" you see in the explain estimate. so for each node of your query, the planner basically enumerates all possible choices and calculates how much it thinks they will cost according to its estimates, then picks the one with lowest cost. but the choice for one node can affect the choice for other nodes, so with a large query the search space of possible plans is huge and not feasible to explore entirely. to help, the planner has lots of built-in heuristics so it doesn't explore paths that are obviously dead ends. because remember, it has to do this for every single query, before the query can run! (unless you use prepared queries to cache the plan.) it has only a few milliseconds to do all this work.

sql query execution engines are a seriously dark art and it's a big part of the reason why oracle is still worth money and (in my experience) handles lovely queries better than postgres does. you can't directly tell postgres how to execute a query, but you can disable certain types of plan node choices if you think there's a problem with them (see enable_seqscan and friends) or adjust the cost settings to more accurately reflect your hardware. but unless you really know what you're doing, the best option is generally to try and rewrite the query, combined with staring at the explain output to see what the planner was unable to figure out how to do efficiently. i've been doing a lot of this for the past year or so, and i find it really enjoyable actually :)

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E posted:

found it: http://kxan.com/2017/04/26/austin-employers-struggling-to-find-workers-who-will-take-less-than-15hour/

god drat we can't just raise our prices and maybe pay them more what is this world coming to????

lol. Its already $10 for two tofu tacos.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rudest Buddhist posted:

lol. Its already $10 for two tofu tacos.

lol

Iverron
May 13, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

so if the interviewer says your logic in a problem was perfect that's good right?

We appreciate your interest and will definitely keep your application on file.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Iverron posted:

We appreciate your interest and will definitely keep your application on file.

brah don't harsh my vibe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

there was a story in the local news the other day about how restaurants just can't find anyone who would work for $11/hour anymore and don't you feel sorry for the poor small business owners.

gently caress capitalists but especially the petit bourgeois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

wow apple really likes masters degrees in their job postings

• Locked thread