Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

How gangly and/or fat are you guys that you're constantly elbowing and gut-pushing your minis "accidentally" around the table? I mean, I've knocked over a mini on occasion when reaching for another that's been placed in a precarious position or something, but you make it sound like you're playing in a room full of banana peels.

If you play a game with any amount of terrain density this is an experience you will have. Especially if you're using card terrain from a starter set.

"oops I clipped the edge of this extremely light cardboard building with my pinky finger" and now you've inadvertently moved your model backwards/forwards by however much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I switched to the metric system because I was so ashamed of my weight. But now my dick is huge.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I switched to the metric system because I was so ashamed of my weight. But now my dick is huge.

Keep it in your pants or you might accidentally nudge a miniature.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

How gangly and/or fat are you guys that you're constantly elbowing and gut-pushing your minis "accidentally" around the table? I mean, I've knocked over a mini on occasion when reaching for another that's been placed in a precarious position or something, but you make it sound like you're playing in a room full of banana peels.

Listen pal, my arms are a bit worn out from hoisting and moving these goalposts constantly, so sometimes my hands shake a little when I play with manz. Just accept the fact that X-Wing is worse than 40K, Infinity is worse than 40K, really everything ever is worse than 40K, and we can all get along, alright?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Don't point out other games shortcomings it upsets the locals.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Do not worry friend :)
We're all good friends here who can share our appreciation for Games Workshop in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere :)
Were all reasonable adults who do not get more invested in any topic than is appropriate and can acknowledge differing opinioms with a smile, aren't we? :)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I broke a dudes dreadnaught once by head butting it while checking line of sight?

I'm super klutzy so I knock stuff all the time but it's generally from accidentally banging the table.

Most noticeable when playing necrominda.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Radish posted:

Yeah the last game was stupid and changed the tone so dramatically it felt really off then they just went all in on Fire Emblem and face touching. I like Fire Emblem ok but if they could put out one less of those for a new classic Advance Wars it would be good.

Yeah it's funny, because I actually really liked the cute little countries (e.g. "Not-America," "Not-Russia," "Not-Germany," and "Not-Japan") they had set up in the Advance Wars trilogy up to that point. Losing the bright, colorful tone really reduced my interest. I'd love to see a new one, but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect it didn't sell well and I know that Fire Emblem is a loving force in Japan.

TTerrible posted:

Don't point out other games shortcomings it upsets the locals.

Apparently so.

I mean, I like X-Wing a lot, but nudging a TIE fighter can mean the difference between a win and a loss in a game because it's the difference between pulling off a tight-formation turn and bumping into my own dudes and loving up my whole turn/strategy. Which isn't a big deal when I play with my buddies, but I somehow doubt doesn't become an issue at tournaments

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The big difference in Advance Wars is that I don't have to worry about permadeath or leveling up troops for the future. Every mission is encapsulated and it's better (at least for me) for picking up and playing stuff for a half hour and not having to think past the current goal then setting it down for a while. I think there's room for both games and it's sad they've abandoned one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Right after the Khorne Berzerkers box set was released in like 1999 or 2000, I went to 40k day at my FLGS and accidentally bumped a guy's unit to the floor causing all of his chainswords or bolt pistols to break off. The guy was super pissed at me, but I was probably doing him a favor. See, he didn't realize you were supposed to cut the grips off the weapons and so had glued them on top of the fists that way.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I play games where multiple minis often end up in close proximity to one another. Sometimes these minis are very light and easily moved by accident. Sometimes they're top heavy. Sometimes movement or templates mess with things.

You can be very precise person and still end up accidentally moving models very easily.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

Right after the Khorne Berzerkers box set was released in like 1999 or 2000, I went to 40k day at my FLGS and accidentally bumped a guy's unit to the floor causing all of his chainswords or bolt pistols to break off. The guy was super pissed at me, but I was probably doing him a favor. See, he didn't realize you were supposed to cut the grips off the weapons and so had glued them on top of the fists that way.

:stare: We need this for unspiration thread

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Thirsty Dog posted:

I play games where multiple minis often end up in close proximity to one another. Sometimes these minis are very light and easily moved by accident. Sometimes they're top heavy. Sometimes movement or templates mess with things.

You can be very precise person and still end up accidentally moving models very easily.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Look at these fat, gangly fucks amirite :v:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bistromatic posted:

Do not worry friend :)
We're all good friends here who can share our appreciation for Games Workshop in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere :)
Were all reasonable adults who do not get more invested in any topic than is appropriate and can acknowledge differing opinioms with a smile, aren't we? :)

Infinity is ridden with anime bullshit and blatant sexism.
Xwings business model involves selling expensive models with bad rules but good cards you need for your other ships.
Wizards of the Coast has utterly randomized the expectation for what is legal in their flagship format and invalidated a deck that people had sunk hundreds of dollars in with an unannounced banning in the actual dead of night.
There isn't a gundams game, so once you build some the only thing to do is store them somewhere and Buy More Gundams.
No one actually plays dark age, frostgrave, or whatever else tiny niche Osprey game people care about for three months and then drop.
Warmahordes is centered around a half dozen top tier casters and the lists are full of trap choices. No one paints their models and the "play like you got a pair!!!" mentality is offputting to potential new players.
6mm historicals are perfect in every way and everyone should play them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Weird then that people who play those games will rightly call out the company's bullshit (go check the MTG thread right now if you don't believe me) but GW is the only one where people will go into other threads and "ironically" spout hugbox memes about GW being the best. :shrug:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I was almost soft.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

Weird then that people who play those games will rightly call out the company's bullshit (go check the MTG thread right now if you don't believe me) but GW is the only one where people will go into other threads and "ironically" spout hugbox memes about GW being the best. :shrug:

The MTG thread *is* the WOTC Death Thread, as near as I can tell

e: Only with less arguing about which Star Wars prequel is the best star wars movie

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yeah, but do you say "oops" and just set the guy back upright, or do you reset the entire game because micro-millimeter precision for some reason matters that much?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

The MTG thread *is* the WOTC Death Thread, as near as I can tell

e: Only with less arguing about which Star Wars prequel is the best star wars movie

If I could work that in more easily, I would. Problem is it's harder when WOTC doesn't want to do all-artifact decks anymore. Though I probably had a shot of a huge derail with Kaladesh and its inserts.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

If I could work that in more easily, I would. Problem is it's harder when WOTC doesn't want to do all-artifact decks anymore. Though I probably had a shot of a huge derail with Kaladesh and its inserts.

you missed your chance, bro. Especially now that it's all people complaining about the company doing exactly what they wanted, only 2 days later than they expected

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

you missed your chance, bro. Especially now that it's all people complaining about the company doing exactly what they wanted, only 2 days later than they expected

It's also incredibly hard to do it when someone brings up a point of magic lore that puts Lucas' worst scripts to shame. I mean the whole bit about the nerdy dude (not) wanting to gently caress an eldritch horror. You can't really beat that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

It's also incredibly hard to do it when someone brings up a point of magic lore that puts Lucas' worst scripts to shame. I mean the whole bit about the nerdy dude (not) wanting to gently caress an eldritch horror. You can't really beat that.

hahah are you still on about that? Wait, were you in the pro-loving or anti-loving category? Because lol if you were in the antifu crowd

I find it interesting that people get worked up over the free story snippets a company puts out on their website around a collectible card game. Like if you hate-read them, fine but I don't get how expectations for free game fiction are this high--I don't even have expectations that high for game-related fiction that costs money. But that may be because I didn't spend my teenage years reading Dragonlance books or whatever

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

hahah are you still on about that? Wait, were you in the pro-loving or anti-loving category? Because lol if you were in the antifu crowd

I find it interesting that people get worked up over the free story snippets a company puts out on their website around a collectible card game. Like if you hate-read them, fine but I don't get how expectations for free game fiction are this high--I don't even have expectations that high for game-related fiction that costs money. But that may be because I didn't spend my teenage years reading Dragonlance books or whatever
It's fun to make fun of bad fiction. I do it all the time with the star wars expanded universe. I always loved the GBS EU threads. I read the dumb things so I know how bad it was.

But in any case, I'm all pro-loving. Not every day you get to gently caress a cosmic horror. This, btw, is what we're talking about :

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Infinity is ridden with anime bullshit and blatant sexism.
Xwings business model involves selling expensive models with bad rules but good cards you need for your other ships.
Wizards of the Coast has utterly randomized the expectation for what is legal in their flagship format and invalidated a deck that people had sunk hundreds of dollars in with an unannounced banning in the actual dead of night.
There isn't a gundams game, so once you build some the only thing to do is store them somewhere and Buy More Gundams.
No one actually plays dark age, frostgrave, or whatever else tiny niche Osprey game people care about for three months and then drop.
Warmahordes is centered around a half dozen top tier casters and the lists are full of trap choices. No one paints their models and the "play like you got a pair!!!" mentality is offputting to potential new players.

I agree, Mantic is pretty much the greatest.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually working on a Frostgrave warband right now. Just need to print out some card terrain and a day to play.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm really hoping that Scrappers is a dull background noise for years to come.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

It's fun to make fun of bad fiction. I do it all the time with the star wars expanded universe. I always loved the GBS EU threads. I read the dumb things so I know how bad it was.

But in any case, I'm all pro-loving. Not every day you get to gently caress a cosmic horror. This, btw, is what we're talking about :

I want to be spitroasted by the floating brain.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gas

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, I get that. Just seems like there's real anger over it in the thread, though, and that's the baffling part to me.

panascope posted:

right?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sorry ur suffering from digestive problems. Have u considered moving off of ur all-skull diet?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

panascope posted:

Multidimensionally :cool:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It conveys it wants you for your body but really, it just wants to ram its tendrils up your nose and into your brain.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

panascope posted:

Oh, hey Etherwind. What's happening?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Moola where's my skull av?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I get that. Just seems like there's real anger over it in the thread, though, and that's the baffling part to me.

Speaking as someone whose reaction to the modern Magic storyline averages out to a mild distaste but has approached Internet Caremad at points: It's not real anger in the same sense that I am, e.g., angry at real-world social injustice, but there's definitely an active sense of contempt. It's like, even for genre fiction written by amateurs, this is way worse than what you could be doing. If you're going to do something, why not do it right?

e: I should add that I actually thought the 'Jace wants to gently caress Emrakul [the eldritch monstrosity]' plot beat was a vast step up from the bulk of Jace's previous characterization, which was a smug superior wizard played off without any sense of irony or subversion. Like if it was written by (or, more likely, to appeal directly to) the people who sincerely defend caster supremacy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

Moola where's my skull av?

I e-mailed it to Bulba

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Oh look it's the "bad gaming is better than no gaming" argument, only this time it's in disguise!!

(Bad gaming is absolutely not better than no gaming, and 99% of the time it's an exaggeration anyway with the other 1% coming from people who live in lovely areas.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 27, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

Oh look it's the "bad gaming is better than no gaming" argument, only this time it's in disguise!!

(Bad gaming is absolutely not better than no gaming, and 99% of the time it's an exaggeration anyway with the other 1% coming from people who live in lovely areas.)

I have no idea what you're going on about, but my preference would be to play games that have large enough communities in my area to reliably find opponents. That is not the case at all with all those little Osprey rulesets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but do you say "oops" and just set the guy back upright, or do you reset the entire game because micro-millimeter precision for some reason matters that much?

Depends on the game. It was so common in armada that we stopped playing until the grip mats arrived because it was an annoying play experience.

If I'm playing guild ball with a friend I don't care too much. That's not the same as it not happening and having a game based around super precise movement while ensuring super precise movement is tricky thanks to rules and model design and model numbers is still counter productive.

• Locked thread