Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If well-done with ketchup is good enough for the President of the United States to take his steak, then it's good enough for me.

Please let this be sarcasm. Normalizing war crimes against steak cannot happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Bad w/ Money: Your apology won't bring back the meat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potee posted:

Why would anyone put 6 grand into a car that cost 4 :psyboom:

It's a truck, if I don't have a truck i might as well just cut my loving dick off now

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Meat crimes an excellent post.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"It's hard to draw the line for things in the fridge."

Yeah I'm upset right now why did you have to go and do this <:(>

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hoodwinker posted:

"It's hard to draw the line for things in the fridge."

Yeah I'm upset right now why did you have to go and do this <:(>

yeah that's loving bullshit

when i had roommates condiments, coffee cream, cheap veggies (that might otherwise go bad like lettuce) and mayyyyybe milk were fair game. cheese, meat, packaged stuff - you loving ask before you eat if you didn't buy it yourself.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I use Mint because i'm too lazy to aggregate that information myself and they just sent me some fun spam

quote:

Who says you can't be a real estate mogul? Learn more.

It’s real estate investing for the rest of us

You don’t have to be a fatcat with a chauffeur to enjoy private market returns from real estate investing. See why TechCrunch says, "Fundrise has a history of making it easier for ordinary investors to put money to work."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4-UnU8lWY

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Being in the industry, I always look at real estate crowdfunding funny. There are cases where it can help projects with insufficient visibility, but you also get adverse selection where projects go there to avoid having sophisticated investors/it was turned down by sophisticated investors. At the same time, it's an opaque industry, so there is definitely something to be said for a more efficient marketplace.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It takes a short course and an easy exam to become a realtor

I'm always so confused as to why like half the population doesn't have a realtors license

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Continuing education?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/857419265569411072

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I use Mint because i'm too lazy to aggregate that information myself and they just sent me some fun spam

It's a crappy REIT that advertises an annualized return a couple points higher than some exchange traded REITs, but does not trade on exchanges, and apparently has "sold out" of shares on their nationally diversified portfolios and now only will accept investment in specific markets. And apparently has a few goons enjoying the public's financial illiteracy and no employees: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/123115/fundrises-new-ereit-right-you.asp

With a brokerage account you could buy up some AI and more than double their advertised return with a significantly longer track record in the same space.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That show is just begging for a curb your enthusiasm's style "Do you respect meat?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Not a Children posted:

It takes a short course and an easy exam to become a realtor

I'm always so confused as to why like half the population doesn't have a realtors license

For the same reason that I don't take a short course on a zillion useful things: lack of time and interest. I COULD take classes to become an electrician, plumber, etc so that I could do all home repairs myself, but I'd rather just pay someone to do it and have my nights and weekends.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I have a friend going through the process to become a realtor. It's not exactly super challenging but it's not just a single course and exam. I think he's written four exams so far?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

crazypeltast52 posted:

Please let this be sarcasm. Normalizing war crimes against steak cannot happen.

http://www.eater.com/2017/2/27/14748346/donald-trump-ketchup-steak

quote:

President Donald Trump’s penchant for well-done steak is well-documented, and yet somehow the Commander in Chief managed to commit yet-another offense against the beef industry of America.

During a Saturday-night dinner at the D.C. location of BLT Prime by David Burke, which is inside Trump’s D.C. hotel, the president ordered his 28-day dry-aged New York strip steak well-done — and then ate it with ketchup (or catsup if you prefer for some reason).

Per the BLT Prime menu, the $54 cut was also finished with herb butter (unless, of course, the prez asked for it without), and the unorthodox condiment must have been a special request, as ketchup does not appear on the BLT menu as a suggested sauce.

The Meat Show host and beef expert Nick Solares has gone on the record as to why the cloying sweetness of ketchup should be banned from all beef products, particularly high-quality steaks. “Why on earth would someone choose to cover up such a carefully crafted ... beef with a such a sweet, overpowering condiment?”

Meanwhile, Eater’s Helen Rosner can’t get over the well-done steak as an order in an of itself: “Adults who won’t eat pink-hearted steaks might lean on any number of reasons for their position, but almost always it comes down to this aversion to risk,” she wrote in November, in response to the news that the then-president-elect was a firm-steak fan. That preference, she writes, “is at its core an unwillingness to trust the validity and goodwill of any experiences beyond the limited sphere of your own.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 27, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Meat crimes an excellent post.

Operation: Meatcrime

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

He's a known germaphobe and senile child.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

I use mint but with the recent new and improved "offers" tab added to the app to bombard me with credit cards and now with unsolicited marketing emails showing up in my inbox I'm close to deleting it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"HAVE YOU STOPPED CONTRIBUTING TO YOUR 401K????"

-Mint, which can literally see the $850 going in there twice a month :psyduck:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

#humblebrag

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Maybe I guess, but I think it's context for the fact that their recommendations have no basis in reality whatsoever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nail Rat posted:

"HAVE YOU STOPPED CONTRIBUTING TO YOUR 401K????"

-Mint, which can literally see the $850 going in there twice a month :psyduck:

Somebody's going to blow right past the 401k annual contribution limit and get bothered by the IRS. BWM.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I stopped using Mint because it kept asking me if I was saving too much with messages like, "Are you sure you want to deduct 12.5k from each paycheck to your brokerage account?" and I just scream "Of course! That is less than 10% of my net! Mint, you idiot!"

What an idiot.

I get paid weekly too, so that throws off Mint as well. Why even bother at that point?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

Somebody's going to blow right past the 401k annual contribution limit and get bothered by the IRS. BWM.

Part of that is employer match. Also I contributed way less the first few months of the year for reasons, which is definitely BWM

quote:

I stopped using Mint because it kept asking me if I was saving too much with messages like, "Are you sure you want to deduct 12.5k from each paycheck to your brokerage account?" and I just scream "Of course! That is less than 10% of my net! Mint, you idiot!"

What an idiot.

I get paid weekly too, so that throws off Mint as well. Why even bother at that point?

I don't really see the analogy here, it seems to me if the recommendations were actually recommendations at all, you wouldn't ask someone who contributes to their 401k every paycheck whether they've stopped contributing to their 401k. It's not even targeted marketing, it's just plain spam.

BWM content: going out of your way to make sure your heirs will need to pay capital gains.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/67vxkn/mother_wants_to_put_my_name_on_a_condo_she_is/ posted:

Hello. I'm new to reddit. A friend said I should post my question on here.
I currently am paying a mortgage on my own home. My Mother is cash buying an investment property-- a small condo and wants to put my name down as a co-owner. Her rationale is that if she passes it will make asset transfer easier. She's only 65, so I assume she's got a couple more decades to go, at least, but the logic makes sense. She also owns another house that she wants to add my brother's name to. (so each kid is a co-owner of a property with Mom).
My questions are: -Does this have any tax implications for my brother and I? -Does this effect my homestead exemption in any way? -Other concerns to consider? My instinct is that she should be the sole owner but state how she wants to divide her property in her will (which she has yet to draft. Sigh. That's another issue. Getting her to even being thinking about a will has been a struggle.) Thanks.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 27, 2017

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

KingSlime posted:

Is that why life feels like it's on easy mode at times? Because the difficulty curve is scaled to account for idiot humans who overpay for dumb stuff?

Seriously I'm not the best at financial discipline but definitely don't splurge on poo poo like $150 perfumes even though I could and yeah so far so good.

An obviously massive oversimplifiction but I can't help but feel that dumb spending habits being normalized over the last few decades has actually done me a lot of good. It's sort of like when I talk to friends who make a lot less than I do talking about "looking into buying a house." The term adorable doesn't even begin to describe them (I sure as poo poo don't make anywhere near enough to afford a house in the Austin area, though I don't doubt I'd find someone willing to give me a loan).

Devian666 posted:

A lot of work and psychology goes into farming the consumer population for money. There's a huge difference when you pay attention to prices at the supermarket rather than blindly select products.

This is old now, but can you elaborate a little bit more on your explanation? I understand the point that if you go into a grocery store and buy products based upon psychology, rather than price, then you can potentially end up with a completely different set of products. Are you saying that if you recognize the psychology of consumerism, then you already won the battle?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

What an idiot.

Are you trying to drop hints that you make more than 6.5 million dollars a year?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Are you trying to drop hints that you make more than 6.5 million dollars a year?

I interpreted it as a poorly executed joke about humblebragging but admittedly "12.5k" has no actual currency associated with it so maybe it's weird foreigny money

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I stopped (well, never really started) using Mint because it's technically a violation of my agreement with my bank and if my account got hacked they could theoretically use it as an excuse to not cover my losses. Not that I want my bank credentials out of my control in any way anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

I stopped (well, never really started) using Mint because it's technically a violation of my agreement with my bank and if my account got hacked they could theoretically use it as an excuse to not cover my losses. Not that I want my bank credentials out of my control in any way anyway.

Yeah I looked that up a while ago and I can't find any record of any bank actually using that against someone but it's kinda worrying regardless

e: That being Mint, banks use "oh you gave your password to your husband better luck next time" or whatever as a reason all the time

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's why I didn't sign up with them years ago. Are you saying they still don't have some federation auth where you sign in to an iframe like PayPal checkout and get a token or whatever? That's hosed up. Why do they have any customers at all?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

What an idiot.

That was so haughty that I was waiting to read that slashdotty "you insensitive clod!" term somewhere in that quote, too.

Still have my internet crush on you, though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Yeah I looked that up a while ago and I can't find any record of any bank actually using that against someone but it's kinda worrying regardless

e: That being Mint, banks use "oh you gave your password to your husband better luck next time" or whatever as a reason all the time

That isn't strictly true. If you give a card and pin to someone else and they misuse it, then yes you are liable, likewise if you give your online banking password to someone who misuses it, you ahould be liable for that as well. You don't see people getting an unrelated claim denied because thier spouse logged onto their online banking once. Using mint is a grey area because you are potentially leaving your credentials unsecure and exposed and the bank has no control over that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The Trotsky post is just a poorly framed bit about how obnoxious all the humblebragging can be in here, except that we are one of the only places where there shouldn't be taboos in talking about earnings and wealth.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
If Canadian banks would let me provide a read only access of my financial data to verified third parties that could be revoked anytime I would consider something like Mint again. For now I'll stick to doing things with ynab (old version, because new version is basically Mint but you pay for it).

quote:

“By requiring bank customers to divulge their confidential access codes and passwords, Mint.com is inducing breach of contract between Scotiabank and its banking customers,” said Scotia’s Joe Konecny. CIBC’s Rob McLeod was equally blunt. “You are responsible for any losses from any use by a third party that provides an online account aggregation service.”

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

My newest piece of unjustified advice on retirement that I learned is, "By 30, you should generally have about one year's salary tucked away into a retirement account." I am turning 30 at the end of the year and I only have about 33% of what I need to match that questionable statistic. Here is a random lovely article that supports the idea: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/22/heres-how-much-money-you-should-have-saved-at-every-age.html

There is no way I could have ever met that goal. During my early to mid twenties I worked at startups that didn't offer me any retirement benefits so I eventually started my own ROTH IRA contributions. Also, up until recently I quit my lovely misogynistic company and got a more appropriate 30% raise at another place. BWM: be a minority in your chosen field.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 27, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wasn't even able to find a decent job until I was nearly 30. Conventional wisdom might as well be magic to me.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

Did you want some ketchup with your bank?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The Trotsky post is just a poorly framed bit about how obnoxious all the humblebragging can be in here, except that we are one of the only places where there shouldn't be taboos in talking about earnings and wealth.

Oh, then they pulled it off very well. I am completely open to talking about various ways of punishment in order to rectify the damage done by my slanderous words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wasn't even able to find a decent job until I was nearly 30. Conventional wisdom might as well be magic to me.

Oh good, we can both try to live off of the undigested kernels of corn from the elites when retirement age rolls around.

• Locked thread