Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I could actually feel the shape of the atoms of any substance within 10 feet of my genitalia.

The Bene Gesserit have been taking some really weird approaches to produce the Kwisatz Haderach lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think any party wanting to garner more votes this election really needs to focus on people who traditionally don't bother/aren't interested. People seem to be drifting more to the extreme recently (or maybe it's me getting older?) yet I have noted that every girlfriend I've ever had, including my current fiancée, has never been interested in politics and the majority never bothered voting. Now before the jokes come in that's quite a cross section of uninterested voters of women from different areas of the country between 18-35, different levels of education right up to graduate, and two of the most significant with very good jobs making a lot of money - not what I imagined when I think of non-voters.

Why are women in particular disenfranchised by politics in the U.K.?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Last time Labour tried to reach out to women it... Didn't go too well.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/10/pink-bus-labour-women-mps-kitchen-table-tour-female-voters

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought that was a bit weird given that it's the same format as most daytime TV.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I think any party wanting to garner more votes this election really needs to focus on people who traditionally don't bother/aren't interested. People seem to be drifting more to the extreme recently (or maybe it's me getting older?) yet I have noted that every girlfriend I've ever had, including my current fiancée, has never been interested in politics and the majority never bothered voting. Now before the jokes come in that's quite a cross section of uninterested voters of women from different areas of the country between 18-35, different levels of education right up to graduate, and two of the most significant with very good jobs making a lot of money - not what I imagined when I think of non-voters.

Non voters tend to be under 35

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Guillotine voting olds and non-voting youngs, IMO

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pochoclo posted:

Also, your typical London flat is already like living in an arcology.

If you've got some time to kill, here's more info than you ever wanted to know about possible arcologies, courtesy of Isaac Arthur's futurism youtube channel.

The tl;dr is that they could be pretty awesome spaces to live with tons of living space, although as has been posted, I'm sure we'd bugger it up somehow.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Prince John posted:

If you've got some time to kill, here's more info than you ever wanted to know about possible arcologies, courtesy of Isaac Arthur's futurism youtube channel.

The tl;dr is that they could be pretty awesome spaces to live with tons of living space, although as has been posted, I'm sure we'd bugger it up somehow.

Outsource the maintenance and administration to Serco.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LemonyTang posted:

Yep, thought this was the case. "One million homes in the next parliament" is such a disappointing statement for me. Wish it could be just one small part of a broader commitment to change how housing is viewed in the UK. Houses are good things, more people should have them, and be able to build them. Half of Labour's "one million houses" is "500,000 from the private sector, at no cost to the government," so that's basically a completely empty stance, surely?

I'd like to see more done to try and convince the Olds and the House-owners that having 'wealth' stored in your house is not actually good or useful, because it undermines social cohesion amongst other things, and that more houses is a good thing.

Planning laws need to be revamped so that if you want to build a house, you can, more often than not, which I think is the reverse of what we have now. At least it feels like it. Abolish the green belt.

America has no green belt and planning laws like that and guess what? They still have a massive housing shortage but also have endless miles of godawful suburbia and no decent public transport.

Lack of land and lack of planning liberalisation are not the problem, at least not in the places where the housing market is most insane. I know I feel the need to mention it every time but where I live is a perfect example.

Just to the south of Canary Wharf is Marsh Wall and Millharbour, which, when the currently-under-construction buildings around there are finished, will constitute the most densely-populated two streets in Europe, with the tallest, second-tallest, and 5th, 6th and 10th-tallest residential buildings in Europe. If the developers get their way and replace the Skylines Village mini business park and the low-rise businesses around South Quay with similarly-dense development, it will become the most densely-populated area in the world, with just shy of 100,000 people (a third of the population of Tower Hamlets, and more than 1% of the population of London) packed into an area a little bit smaller than a square kilometre.

This still isn't enough for the developers though - they want to demolish the four pre-80s housing estates around the periphery of the Isle of Dogs and replace them with 2 and a half times as many dwellings, packing another 100,000 people into about 3 square kilometres. They are also fighting tooth and nail to try and build over the Mudchute and MIllwall Park, the only green areas on the Island, and even over Island Gardens, part of a World Heritage Site.

However less than a kilometre to the north of Canary Wharf is the Lower Lea Corridor, an area almost the same size as the Isle of Dogs, and with excellent transport links to both Canary Wharf and the rest of London. Tower Hamlets and Newham Councils have - for almost ten years now - been trying to get developers to build there. It's "light" brown-field (i.e. although it was and still is light-industrial land it's not like it's an old gas works or something similarly toxic) and so would be far, far cheaper to build on than the Isle of Dogs, with no restrictive covenants on height, use or density like the IoD, and none of the extravagantly dangerous buried crap that you have around Blackwall and Canning Town, where there is also an IoD-style development frenzy going on.

The result? Some hastily-put-up high rises at the north end of the zone to try and cash in on the Olympics (they're just across the road from the Olympic Park) and... that's it. just the other side of the A102 and A13 they're throwing up high-density housing like it's Hong Kong but literally in their shadow there's still scrap yards and just plain wasteland in an area where you could fit 50k homes at the mid-density of most of the housing estates of the area or double that if you wanted to get more high-risey. The reason? Wrong postcode. That side of the A102 is E3 and *shudder* E15, and you can sell the exact same house on the opposite side of the road in E14 for literally double the money, so of course it makes far more "sense" for developers to spend millions on planning lawyers and junkets for councillors because it's a blip compared to their ROI.

Let the councils borrow money at the 2% the central government pays, put up their own homes where there is actually space, and the housing shortage would be done for. It will literally never, ever happen though - government debt being used to make houses cheaper? And some of them might go to the gays or brown people? They'd have to print the Daily Mail on asbestos to stop it bursting into flames. Actually printing the Daily Mail on asbestos might be the best thing we can do to improve the world...

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pochoclo posted:

The Bene Gesserit have been taking some really weird approaches to produce the Kwisatz Haderach lately.

My balls are a killing word

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am trying to think of a lovely poet and a worse economist to do the modern Milton Keynes but I actually kind of like McGonagall and it seems unfair to put him next to George Osborne.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I couldn't say, but Boris's sister just joined the Lib Dems to protest Brexit.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

Thank you. Here is the thing I had in mind:
:words: about rural depression

You missed the bit where I quoted you out of context.

Re: rural depression - pretty sure farmers are still in the top 3 or 4 professions for suicide which probably has some bearing here. Urban farmers aren't much of a thing.

Pochoclo posted:

Guillotine voting olds and non-voting youngs, IMO

Oh don't be like that - I've been voting against the Tories for decades, even protested against the Falklands Conflict. Don't know a single Tory voter among my peers either. Why does your generation not give a poo poo?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/27/man-arrested-over-incident-in-whitehall-near-parliament

Police thwart suspected terror attack in Westminster

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Prince John posted:

I love the optimism in this guy's channel - its a great antidote to the doom and gloom lately - just pop it on and lose yourself in a daydream about how limitless fusion power and space cylinders will solve all our problems (or alternatively how someone building a giant Dyson sphere-sized star killing death engine will solve all our problems).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Everyone in the country is depressed and everyone in Cities has borderline personality disorder. Deal?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

EmptyVessel posted:

Oh don't be like that - I've been voting against the Tories for decades, even protested against the Falklands Conflict. Don't know a single Tory voter among my peers either. Why does your generation not give a poo poo?

Young people don't vote because they have been stiffed in every election they've been aware of or participated in. They may give a poo poo, they just don't expect the government to do anything about it. Even if you disagree with their conclusion, that's the belief.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Boris Johnson was brought out to attack Corbyn, and managed to initially have everyone focus on his stupid language and then imply we couldn't refuse any US request to take military action in Syria.

Back in the box, BoJo!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonyTang posted:

Young people don't vote because they have been stiffed in every election they've been aware of or participated in. They may give a poo poo, they just don't expect the government to do anything about it. Even if you disagree with their conclusion, that's the belief.

How the gently caress do you think we felt when Thatcher kept getting back in? Not looking forward to that little piece of nostalgia becoming relevant again.
If not getting what you want instantly renders you all inert then we are going to be treble hosed if when the whole poo poo house goes up in flames post-Brexit.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

man you guys won't believe the dump i had after eating my weetabix... it was a real breakshit

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

OwlFancier posted:

I am trying to think of a lovely poet and a worse economist to do the modern Milton Keynes but I actually kind of like McGonagall and it seems unfair to put him next to George Osborne.
Heaney Laffer?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I keep thinking this was part of a backdrop for Brazil (the film) but it wasn't.

So you know it's well designed!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/EleriAngharad92/status/857337175955951619

Tories

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am glad my long ago hopes for the tories somehow running the worst campaign in the universe are coming true.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

came across as sarcasm to me

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Looke posted:

yeah seems pretty obvious

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Haha just reading the guadian blog who were trying to cover May's speach in Leeds but the BBC cut away for the weather so they gave up.

Apparently she said strong and stable leadership a lot though

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Looke posted:

No poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I am glad my long ago hopes for the tories somehow running the worst campaign in the universe are coming true.

Did they also include hopes that they would be elected off the back of it?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/rosschawkins/status/857631756396187648

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Kipling Rothbard

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

EmptyVessel posted:

How the gently caress do you think we felt when Thatcher kept getting back in? Not looking forward to that little piece of nostalgia becoming relevant again.
If not getting what you want instantly renders you all inert then we are going to be treble hosed if when the whole poo poo house goes up in flames post-Brexit.

I've voted in every election I've been old enough for. Also the point is these people never vote, it's not 'not getting what they want', it's an absolute belief that nothing is being offered that they do want, and that nothing will change from the outcome anyway.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Audio of it -

https://twitter.com/rosschawkins/status/857633537671008256

loving hell she is colossally inept.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Hard to tell whether this is satire.

E: loving hell, lol.

deletebeepbeepbeep fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2017

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

"Prime Minister do you know the price for a pint of milk?"

"What I recognise is that what we need in this country is strong and stable leadership"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jesus christ :cripes:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
code:
You see a Theresa May and a flask. There is a door leading to the west.
> go west
We need a strong and stable leadership.
> drink flask
Labour would borrow £500 billion.
> talk to Theresa
We need a strong and stable leadership.
> guillotine
Coalition of Chaos.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Kinda going off Theresa May a bit tbqh.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Kinda going off Theresa May a bit tbqh.

You were ever on her in the first place?

Ewan posted:

Bars of soap are so manky, they get covered in pubes and body hair. And I'm especially hairy.

The Original Source Vanilla and Strawberry flavour shower gel is amazing. Once you use it you will never turn back.

Oh man, I recently bought this stuff for the first time because I couldn't find any of my usual shower gels. It smells AMAZING! So much so, that when I first opened it for a sniff, I ended up luxuriating in its sweet scent for so long I didn't notice it was dripping all over my top.
I can't remember the proper name, but the purple Radox stuff, the relaxing one, is really nice, but I think this one might be my new favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Labour somehow avoiding the bloodiest GE rout in their entire history purely on account of the Tories constantly tripping over their own dicks would be quite darkly hilarious

Then again that explains the few times they actually managed to get into office pretty well, doesn't it? Labour doesn't win elections, the Tories just occasionally spectacularly lose them.

Christ this country is hosed.

• Locked thread